Author Topic: Halo: Reach!  (Read 15340 times)

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
Re: Halo: Reach!
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 02:43:48 pm »
The last Halo game I had was 2.  All I know is that in multiplayer one hit kills with the sword and shotgun, and two hit kills with the laser pistol are immensely satisfying.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 03:18:42 pm »
I will admit, the beta was quite fun.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 04:18:24 pm »
All its ever been good for is some solid multiplayer action, I could get it for some on-line but I know I'll just be endlessly killed by people who have been playing multiplayer since they hooked up their original Xbox at their mates place for LAN multiplayer.

I think that's flawed logic. Why even bother with multilayer for any game, there is always going to be people better then you. Starcraft, Team Fortress, Call of Duty, Left 4 Dead. Any game you're going to get destroyed at early on, you play and get better, then you become the destroyer. :)

Oh there will always be people better than me but I at least started playing the game the same time they did I at least have a chance by being a noob when they were a noob. Halo has been pretty much the same game since day one. I wont deny there have been minor changes but once your a star at the basics which everyone else learned back in Halo 2 anyone who is jumping into on-line multi with reach can expect to spend a lot of time looking at the death screen.

Hopefully this match making will improve that. I have heard many a story of match making having some pretty weird decisions and the selection may as well have been random. This usually an issue with the actual ranking system.

Then again I have been dirty on Halo since I had the 1st and found the single player game to be criminally boring it was a while ago but I distinctly remember jumping right on-line after playing The Library to complain about it. Also back then the forum I went to had a resident Halo fan boy who insisted on posting every Halo image he could get his hands on and this was the days when dial up was still common which ended up tainting my view of the game.

Still I might give it a chance but it will be more wait and see how it's received.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 05:40:51 pm »
Still I might give it a chance but it will be more wait and see how it's received.
Really? It's Halo, it's gonna get near perfect scores and descriptions almost everywhere.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 07:43:18 pm »
Really? It's Halo, it's gonna get near perfect scores and descriptions almost everywhere.

Yeah what he said

Something Cobra said that reminded me of another great feature about this game, no flood or flood level.  ;D
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 10:45:36 pm »

I haven't judged a game based on scores from any of the big websites or anything like that in years. I have gone more I have focused more on the opinions of people from this site, or even spoony maybe yahtzee and a bit of the Australia TV show "Good Game" (although they do use a out of 10 score system it's not the final score that is the deciding factor there for me it's more how Bajo nerds out during the review usually :P).

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 03:14:56 am »
Phenomenal game.  Got it at midnight and just finished up campaign with some friends.  Definetly the best campaign in the series.  Everything is much prettier, everything is much more fluid.  Phenomenal game.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 05:04:52 am »
I might even consider getting it then if it weren't for the fact I just bought a ton of games on the cheap today.

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 11:18:43 am »
I would buy it but personally i wanna get Civ V and i don't have enough cash at the moment to get multiple games (damn college for spending so much of my money ;( )
Check out MindWorld a Psychological Sci-Fi FPS adventure indie title....It's pretty awesome :p http://www.indiedb.com/games/mindworld/images/mindworld-concept-art1

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 11:24:24 am »
I would buy it but[...]
That seems to be at odds with what you said a few days ago:
[...]its a mediocre FPS.[...]
Why would you buy a 'mediocre FPS' if there are plenty of good ones out there?

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 03:15:02 pm »
TF2 satisfies the vast majority of my gaming needs, so I'm fine without another FPS, no matter how phenomenal.

edit: Also I don't want to pay for XBL anymore.

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 04:49:30 pm »
Feh. Had an expeierence with online gaming, never wanna do it again.

Halo seems to have itsel a case of Seinfield Syndrome.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 06:58:34 pm »
I've played a little last night and today having fun so far. Forge world is crazy HUGE!!! Multi is fun. Looking forward to diving more into it - stupid work.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 10:07:44 pm »
I talked my roommate into buying it and played a little multiplayer tonight.  I could tell I was a bit rusty, but it was all coming back to me.  The weirdest thing happened while I was playing, though.  I was on a map identical to one from Halo 2 when I suddenly felt the guilt and impending doom of putting off a huge homework assignment to play videogames.  I'm pretty sure it was high school homework I was putting off, too.  I guess it's been a while since I've played this series.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 11:05:00 pm »
I would buy it but[...]
That seems to be at odds with what you said a few days ago:
[...]its a mediocre FPS.[...]
Why would you buy a 'mediocre FPS' if there are plenty of good ones out there?

Because Mediocre is worth money if you can A afford it or B are lacking a game to play at the moment. Basically i have the other halo games, i dont enjoy them that much but messing around with some mates on the custom made forge maps is a laugh. Thats it however, so thats about the only reason why i would buy it. Mediocrity still has moments of greatness :P.
Check out MindWorld a Psychological Sci-Fi FPS adventure indie title....It's pretty awesome :p http://www.indiedb.com/games/mindworld/images/mindworld-concept-art1