Author Topic: New Civilization - Voting Game Thingy  (Read 11338 times)

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: New Civilization - Voting Game Thingy
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2010, 09:17:55 am »
CCB
Quote from: Mr. Wizard
Flamester is truly a god among us.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2010, 09:19:37 am »
I'm pretty sure that CCB is going to win either way. I'll get an update after I'm done with class, but if you have any other suggestions, feel free to add them! For example, what Haseri wrote about "taking everything that wasn't nailed down" is something I'm going to implement, even though there wasn't a vote on it.

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2010, 09:22:05 am »
If it ever comes up use my Government plan, and that C really looked like a D...

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2010, 11:07:18 pm »
CAB
Check out MindWorld a Psychological Sci-Fi FPS adventure indie title....It's pretty awesome :p http://www.indiedb.com/games/mindworld/images/mindworld-concept-art1

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2010, 05:03:21 pm »
Year 200

Voting Results
More foreigners settling down: Option C (Trade)
Education of the population has opened up several doors: Option C (Apprenticeship)
Overpopulation within Mala: Option B (Wood Camp)

Events
Trade Route Attempted
The Malak sent another group of scouts to the Vorani people to attempt to negotiate a trade contract. Our people were met with some celebration by the Vorani people, and when the talks began about a constant trade between our two people, there were many happy people on both sides. The Vorani accepted, seeing this as a step towards a more peaceful relationship, rather than the awkward tension of the unknown. All that had to be settled were the terms of the trade route...

Apprenticeship Cemented
Over the past several generations, the idea of apprenticeship has really taken off. Schools are now setup with one major directive: prepare the children of Mala for a specific profession. In almost all cases production has increased because of educated people immediately entering their professions. Instead of having to go through a failure/learning process, the students within Mala learn right away which system works and how to carry out their jobs.

But even while these students focus on the specific areas that will help them with their jobs, there is a standard of education that all students must fulfill. In this way, the civilians of Mala are well rounded when compared with other peoples.

Wood Camp Established
The overpopulation of Mala, coupled with the productivity increase of the citizens, has put a real strain on the base resource industry. There is more demand for resources from a burgeoning population, but not enough people working in those jobs. But with this there was an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. The unlanded people of Mala (meaning those that did not own property) were uprooted from the slums that had been developing, and sent further south to establish a wood cutting camp to increase the supply of lumber for the city of Mala.

But this didn't work itself out easily. Those that were being moved had to be coerced with force and this upset a great many people. For some time the discussion within the town center focused on these events and even propelled the debate of government further.

Education Spurs Debates
As more and more of our population become educated in the basics of the world, some people have begun to question things that were always set in stone. It has become more and more common for large groups of people, both men and women, to gather in the town center to discuss important issues of the times. Thoughts are shared, debates are held, and new ideas are created on a regular basis. But the one thing that seems to constantly flow around the heads of these individuals, and the city of Mala in general, is the question of why certain people are priveleged to rule over the Malak people. People have begun to talk about government in general, and have started to discuss possible new forms of government that could be implemented. There is much talk of this, but not much implementation.

Scouts from the Khalarian Empire
The Malak were in for another surprise when a large group of riders made contact with the settlement around the quarry. These people were peaceful, but foreboding. They were armed with long spears that had a mysterious tip on their ends and wore decadent clothing with various colors. They didn't speak a bit of Malkim although they were able to establish themselves as "Khalarian." Because of their fancy style of dress and domestication of animals, the Malak have viewed these people as being higher up then them. Pictures of numerous cities drawn by the horsemen suggest that they have multiple settlements under their control, and have thus been termed the "Khalarian Empire" by the Malak people. Judging from the general direction of travel, these Khalars have settled somewhere to the northwest.

Original contact was peaceful, and there was a small exchange of goods. The Khalars provided a different set of animal hides while the Malak gave them gifts of stone. These people did not stay long however, and after only a day they disappeared back into the northwestern wilderness.

Other
A small group of scouts were sent back to the City of Ruins along the northern shores of the "Great Body of Water" (hereafter referred to as Gobode). They were sent to collect everything that was not already deteriorated or stolen by other roving groups of people. Many things were collected and brought back to Mala, most of which were useless items. But there were several pieces of a strange material collected, the same kind of material that appeared to be on the ends of the Khalarian spears. Further investigation termed this material 'metal' and several groups of people were put to work to figure out where or how the Malak could get ahold of such a substance.

Trade Route Attempted: The Vorani have accepted our offer! What should we suggest for trade?
A. Stone for fish
B. Stone for pottery
C. Wood for fish
D. Wood for pottery

Education Spurs Debates: Government in General
Part I: How is government defined within Malak society?
A. A system devoted to the protection of its people from outside forces.
B. A system setup to push the people forward and encourage growth.
C. A system devised to protect the inherent rights of the people.

Part II: Is it time for reform? Is there a better form of government out there?
A. Yes! Bring on the reform!
B. No! The elders are wise and have directed us on the right path!

Scouts from the Khalarian Empire: What should be done about the Khalarian Empire?
A. It is obvious they are peaceful. Perhaps we should send scouts to get a better idea of where their cities are located.
B. These people are more advanced than us. We should better fortify our cities in case they decide we are weaker than them.
C. Do nothing for now. They have made no move to contact us, and we should focus on matters closer to home.

Industrious Improvement: Our society has become more industrial in its setup. What area should we focus on improving?
A. Farming. We need to be able to support more people.
B. Fishing. This is another source of food that is not being utilized fully.
C. Mining. We need better techniques to harvest the stone. It is our chief trade asset after all.
D. Woodcutting. We have setup a camp in the forest, but it is still inefficient in its collection of wood.

Sorry for the late update, but there are a lot more options on this one so read carefully. I put two options under the government thing because they were closely related. Otherwise I would normally separate them.

And just for everyone's information, our current government system is basically a setup of elders that gain their position over time by being accepted by the current elders. If anything, it could be termed and Oligarchy of Age. At this point, this isn't an undemocratic society. The elders listen to issues that are brought forward to them, but in the end what they say goes.

And, as always, go ahead and suggest things!

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2010, 06:33:41 pm »
DBABA

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2010, 06:39:05 pm »
CAABA

Let's tank this sucker.
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2010, 07:02:35 pm »
DBBBD

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2010, 07:26:20 pm »
DBBBD
I am Bagder Man 22 and I support this message.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2010, 08:49:47 pm »
Why do you support the old nomadic-based government?

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2010, 09:08:05 pm »
It has worked so far.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2010, 09:20:22 pm »
Why do you support the old nomadic-based government?
Because I, as an average American, am afraid of change. Change is potentially dangerous.
That and I invest heavily in a seemingly good idea that will probably backfire.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Oblivion2007

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2010, 11:58:37 pm »
Trade Route Attempted: The Vorani have accepted our offer! What should we suggest for trade?
D. Wood for pottery

My reasoning here is that we can get fish quite easily. As a matter of fact we ARE currently fishing so that isn't a resource we are scarce on, and it's an industry that we could quickly expand. Pottery however is an industry that takes skilled workers, clay pits to mine, and other assorted things that would take more effort to develop on our own. The reason for wood over stone is two-fold, we will be using stone for defenses and the other tribe isn't next to a forest so wood would be more valuable to them than us. This seems like the best trade.

Education Spurs Debates: Government in General
Part I: How is government defined within Malak society?

A. A system devoted to the protection of its people from outside forces.

This seems like a pretty obvious choice and quite in-character with how the Malak have been played so far. Most of our interactions have been focused on being quite defensive and wary of outside forces. I think this meshes quite well with other choices this round, and our people seem to be self-motivated enough so far that I don't think option B is really needed.

Part II: Is it time for reform? Is there a better form of government out there?

A. Yes! Bring on the reform!

Progress!

Scouts from the Khalarian Empire: What should be done about the Khalarian Empire?
B. These people are more advanced than us. We should better fortify our cities in case they decide we are weaker than them.

This is the only option that makes sense to me, and also the only option that is in character with how the Malak have been played so far. This is also what will be using up most of our stone, which is why I didn't want to trade it away.

Industrious Improvement: Our society has become more industrial in its setup. What area should we focus on improving?
D. Woodcutting. We have setup a camp in the forest, but it is still inefficient in its collection of wood.

With wood now being our main trade good this is an obvious choice. Plus this industry is barely developed and can be quite helpful for many things.

In closing: D A A B D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 12:02:42 am by Oblivion2007 »

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2010, 02:01:29 am »
D - Same reasons as above (although, bring in some Vorani to teach some unlanded folk how to fish)
B - I feel that this is more of how we have been doing it. We haven't really needed to protect our people, but we have been pushing them to grow.
A - But find out what government options are open to us first.
B - Although they seem peaceful, and should be welcomed if they seem to have genuine interest in peaceful relations, we should prepare for the worst.
D - Same reasons as above, but there is no reason why smaller impovements cannot be made in other areas.

Also, I think we need names for our two outposts. At the very least, the quarry. Let the inhabitants decide on the names though.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2010, 04:32:39 am »
We should trade wood for pottery because poterry is only one step away from the wheel. And I don't think the camps are developed enough to warrent names, they're are more like boroughs or sections of Mala.