Author Topic: Huckbucks "Design-a-game" Community Thingy! I want YOU to tell me what to do! V8  (Read 17029 times)

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
Huckbuck's "Design-a-game" Community Thingy!

I want YOU to tell me what to do!

Yes, this has been done before. Specifically by a guy called "Flisch" in a bitchy manner. I saw the possibilities with his project, but I also saw the problems. I am therefore making my own version with a few rules added;

• A suggestion can be made by ANYONE. It won't make it into the game though unless at least 2 more people support it, and not TOO many openly oppose it.
  • For undoing the rule is that at least 5 people must support it.
  • A suggestion is only considered valid if it includes enough details to actually be used as a guideline for creating the game.
  • A suggestion is only considered valid if it is relevant at that time. Saying "the final boss should be a talking telephone" right at the beginning is useless. Start with the general things, and then at least somewhat go from the start of the game till the end.
  • A suggestion in line with allready decided suggestions or themes do not need 3 supporters, it is accepted immediately as long as no one oppose themselves to it.

Bad example for rule 3: "Make a sidescroller with guns and aliens!"

Good example for rule 3: "Make it so that the main character is in the middle of the screen, viewed top-down, aiming towards the cursor."

Besides that there isn't really anything else to say, start brainstorming!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:20:32 pm by Huckbuck »

@davidramnero

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
Interesting. I must keep a eye on this. Hmm... Now i have to go back to my cave and think.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
First things first, genre.

I always like space opera.

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
Actually, for Genre, let's deconstruct Magical Girl in an RPG. No Power of Love for you!
Also, there needs to be a Running Gag.
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
I say kept it to game play elements rather then setting elements. Read what Huck is requesting ;)
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
While setting is also up to you the basic gameplay elements are more important. Remember to '+1' suggestions you like!
@davidramnero

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
Yes, this has been done before. Specifically by a guy called "Flisch" in a bitchy manner.
Pfft, the only one who was bitching around was you, because you violated your own rule #4. :d
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Hmm...

If you can, make the game include crafting, similar to Minecraft or TF2.

Is that too vague? I can try to make it more specific if you want.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
For starters, how about we make it a platformer puzzle game, where WASD controls your movement and the arrow keys control the direction that you're firing in?

Also, I'd like to see this:

But not to make game nessisary things, they just end up being a case of "Click everything in my inventory until something happens". I mean like making cool new equipment for lols and giggles, like a beer bottle with some fuel and a bandage to make a molotov coctail. It's a powerful weapon but you'll lose one of your medkits.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 02:22:05 pm by Plank of Wood »
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
I will do the first update tomorrow, in about 15 - 18 hours, if you have decided on anything by then that is, but it seems you are getting the hang of it. :P

PoW, just to clarify, would pressing the up-key for instance making the player shoot up or just move the aim up?

Hmm...

Is that too vague? I can try to make it more specific if you want.

Don't worry, it is not to vague as it is an important concept in many games. Deciding on concepts before details is a good idea I think.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 02:27:34 pm by Huckbuck »
@davidramnero

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
Yeah, Pressing up to shoot up, down to shoot down, ect.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
Mouse aiming might be even better. Is becoming more of a standard thing now a days but i remember when a game called Abuse pretty much pioneered it.

I had a idea for mechanic. PC auto attack anything close to it being the ultimate melee/hth bad ass. The only problem is that enemies shoot at you so the hard part is getting in close to kill them. Tool at you disposal is a all purpose grappling hock kind of thing (or tentacle or whatever) which you can use to solve environmental puzzles and to real in enemies. Simple mechanic which could be interesting to explore around.

Sometimes simplest things are rewarding to explore. Portal is a game build around one mechanic for example.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
I'd like a Biblepunk theme.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
I want AToC-like game!

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
I want AToC-like game!

This is not a forum game you are creating, it is a game as in a coded game. Making such a game as dynamic as an RP is I see as impossible for me to do, heck it would be hard even for the greatest companies in the industry.

Remember that if everyone says different things you wont get anywhere, you'll have to agree on things, maybe through comprimising.
@davidramnero