Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 8031 times)

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
The Walking Dead
« on: August 26, 2010, 09:03:28 am »
It's a TV show about a zombie apocalypse, based on the graphic comic series of the same name.

Trailer (I couldn't find a good youtube one)

Man those zombies look good. It starts off a lot like 28 Days Later, but the beginning is the only thing they have in common, well that and zombies :P.

It Airs on AMC, starting Oct. 31. Anyone else looking forward to this?

I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 02:29:07 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg46DWI_fCE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg46DWI_fCE</a>

:3
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 12:28:16 pm »
Colour me interested, but I've started becoming incredulous of slow-moving zombies whose only transmission vector is bites.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 10:45:06 pm »
Slowbies still have the danger to them especially when they are the head shot only variety. You need to be accurate to take them down. The threat comes from having waves of them more than you can take on resulting in siege situations.

Offline Gunner

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • No Smoking Zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 10:47:13 pm »
I really loved the book series. Good stuff, real nice. Can't wait for more of it, and this.
And they aren't bite transmittable, just any recently deceased with a brain, like in Night of the Living Dead.
:O
Also, Gunner is one of the children.
It's true.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 10:49:31 pm »
Well yes, but how do they get enough zombies to form waves?

Don't they fall apart after a few days?

-EDIT-Of course, I still want to see it. It's a zombie movie, it's not supposed to be realistic, and it looks like it has a good story.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 10:55:03 pm by rysworld »

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 12:03:47 pm »
Yeah, they would. They'd also be paralyzed for a long time after death as they entered rigor. Anyone who died could just be tied down until they reanimated and froze in rigor.

Offline emmet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 12:31:14 pm »
We're talking about beasts who don't need food or air to continue "living" here... Logic pretty much goes out the window.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 01:31:52 pm »
Normal logic does. Internal logic can apply.

As I've said, though, I don't get why these things are so menacing. Find a road at the outskirts of the city and clear it, get a vehicle you can fire from (an APC is best but even a bulldozer or truck would work), then drive slowly along the road and make a lot of noise. Zombies will start following you, and it's a simple matter to have a few trained men with rifles picking off the Z's one by one (if Marine Snipers can pop the skulls of moving sailors in a bobbing lifeboat while on a bobbing ship through tiny windows, they can do this). It's a good idea to have a helicopter to provide extraction too, just in case things go badly.

This is something every military in the world could do en masse with ease. You'd clear the zombie menace in a matter of days, and for a bargain too.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:34:38 pm by Axelgear »

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 10:59:26 am »
Honestly, I agree with Axelgear.

Never thought you'd hear me say THAT, did you?
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 12:39:14 pm »
"It all started one cold, december morning, when a biological experiment went wrong. Virus Z was quickly spreading... however due to modern, effieciant evacuation methods and an effective military response the reanimated dead were quickly killed off and like resumed as normal. The end."
the real saviour of this forum

Offline emmet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 01:09:48 pm »
Plank of Wood has an equally valid point.

One month before the zombie outbreak, an equally contagious disease spread through the masses. The disease had no obvious symptoms, and in fact, only altered a tiny fraction of the human brain. It removed the hosts ability to rationally protect themselves from zombie attacks.

This disease was called Plot.

Happy now?

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 06:22:53 pm »
A virus that makes people overlook obvious solutions? There's a million jokes I could take from there, honestly.

Never thought you'd hear me say THAT, did you?

You'd think so, but I've been hearing it a lot from a lot of people I'd not have expected it from lately.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 05:18:05 am »
You forget Axel, by giving the majority of characters basic common sense no horror movies would ever, ever exist.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 02:16:32 pm »
No, they'd just have superior writing. If you can't make a threat credible, you change the threat to ensure that it is.

Left 4 Dead dealt with this nicely. The horde isn't a huge issue for those already immune and armed with weapons, but the super-zombies are dangerous, especially if you're alone. Plus, the virus is airborne, the zombies are fast, etc. The vast majority (90%) of the population was infected by this and turned early. Of the remaining 10%, nine percent are turned by scratches, bites, and bile, something anyone who has played the game can tell you is commonplace.

This is a credible threat. Within a matter of hours, a given city would be overrun, and, while a military response might be powerful enough to overcome it, there's no guarantee. Vast amounts of military personnel will likely have turned, there'll be chaos and disarray...

In short, L4D has a credible zombie apocalypse scenario. I prefer the slow-moving, headshot-only zombies myself, but I still love L4D and it shows that thought went into this.