Author Topic: They Who Cannot Be Named: The Battle for Origin: OOC and Planning  (Read 44709 times)

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
Re: They Who Cannot Be Named: The Battle for Origin: OOC and Planning
« Reply #390 on: September 07, 2011, 10:25:45 pm »
Sorry, but I have literally no idea as to what you're talking about. Robotech, Kushan, all Greek to me.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #391 on: September 08, 2011, 12:47:48 am »
Sorry, but I have literally no idea as to what you're talking about. Robotech, Kushan, all Greek to me.

Robotech.

Kushan.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 08, 2011, 06:31:28 am »
I dunno. Big transforming humanoid robots, "XenoGenesis," it sounds a bit silly. But what do I know, eh?

In fact, I can barely remember what we were talking about originally.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 08, 2011, 10:31:16 am »
The Kratairian Fleets are huge and vastly experienced since they all live in space, preferring it over planetary life. Their homeworld blowing up partly because of its atmosphere sorta helped to motivate them as well.

This has now been going on for at least several centuries now.

Because of those said above they have mastered space-faring life to a T, creating numerous caravans of heavily defended mobile space colony vessels that pretty much serve as their population centers. These caravans are completely self-sufficient, with each one capable of restarting Kratairian civilization if worst comes to worse. This combined with their highly scientific and combat-oriented culture pretty much makes them one of the most badass and hardest to put down races in the history of the galaxy.

In short, anyone who declares war on them is in for a world of hurt.

There.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 08, 2011, 04:51:25 pm »
Ok, I've got a few questions thanks to ideas popping into my head.
1. The Terran-Radians. For them, I remember Yuu saying something about them being your quote-un-quote "Lawful Good", barring the fact that there is an embedded "program" that forces loyalty to the Nameless. Now, per my understanding of Programming, as explained in The Extended Yuuniverse, this is either not THAT sort of "Programming", or it WAS a program that manipulated their genetic code to force loyalty (ala Core Combine). With either way, they could possibly be made an ally through the Zeront and their genetics mastery (serving as a way to introduce them to the Perrachi, as well as give them a meaningful way to get involved in the conflict).
Or, as usual, I could be dead wrong.
2. This, per my knowledge, has never been gone over before: What is the shielding of your race like, for their ships?
The Photos use thick hull armor for the ship itself, fairly simple and straight forward. The shields of Photos ships are designed for stopping energy attacks: solid projectiles such as shells, missiles, and the like pass right through unhindered, which the armor takes. While Photos shields are very good at stopping energy attacks, they have a critical flaw: many attacks spread over a relatively small area can destabilize that area of shield for a second and, while it's only an opening of about a second, well-timed attacks can get through. While the Phased Mode of their shield generators (the shield refreshes several million times every second) eliminates this, Phased Shields are terrible at stopping beam weapons as part of the beam still slips through as the shield refreshes, essentially just breaking up the beam. Usually, enough still gets through to cause at least SOME surface damage.
Their ships also feature point-defenses; automated, rapid fire guns that track and shoot down incoming projectiles. The plasma ones do a good job of taking out missiles and shells, while laser ones take out the high-speed projectiles of Mass Drivers, Railguns, and the like.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 09, 2011, 12:54:30 am »
1. The Terran-Radians.

The former, actually.

Also, the guys behind the Ariadnian Uprising pretty much ninja'd the idea that already.

What is the shielding of your race like, for their ships?

Hmm, this could take a while...

Okay, here we go:

Most Orealyianis armor, including fighters and most fortifications, are knock-off versions of the nanomechanical plating used by the Terran-Ixians. Kind of like the original, they are capable of some basic programs which help improve longevity and overall effectiveness.

It's quite hard to spot on most standard fighter mounted scanners, and more so when the Orealyianis asset in question is as "small" as a VA. High-end EW&C systems pretty much nullify the stealth capability of standard armor, though mid-end models may still have some problems spotting Orealyianis assets from time to time.

Durability-wise, its cache of programs allow it to mimic a variety of composite configurations, though due to the differences in ship scales between the Orealyianis and Terran-Ixians, they are far less adaptable. Regardless, it could be suited for deflecting energy weapons this minute and kinetic weapons the next, in much the same vein as the original. That said, it is royally screwed against a skillfully managed combined weapons maneuver of sufficient power.

Sustainability-wise, it fares best against spread-type damage since its regenerative nature allows it to completely heal from anything not larger than a man-sized hole without any need for support units. Holes larger than that, however, don't tend to approximate well and do need the assistance of dedicated repair units to heal in any sensible stretch of time.

As a final note, the armor is quite resistant to natural wear and tear, and is incidentally quite useful when operating in highly abrasive or corrosive areas. It also doesn't hurt that it scrubs away graffiti all on its own.

That's the basic setup, anyways. Assets with a dedicated stealth coating are much harder to detect, especially to sensors that work by detecting fluctuations in the fabric of space-time. This is all, however, at a relatively more steep cost. It is for this reason that they're mostly used for espionage and other equally asymmetrical operations.

Regardless of what type of armor is used, it is seldom used on its own. On larger ships, it is almost always used in conjunction with MLMs and high rate of fire CIWS plasma cannons. On smaller platforms like VAs, the standard load of MLMs usually fill in this role.

TIER, on the other hand, use what can be considered quasi-Terran-Ixian armor. It sorta looks like Terran-Ixian, it sorta acts like Terran-Ixian, it sorta is like Terran-Ixian. That said, the original is still better.

Aside from this, TIER also employs particle barriers which are good at blocking most things as long as the one formulating the barrier isn't overwhelmed.

Finally, Terran-Ixian armor is the originator of the above systems. Like its adaptations, it is composed of a soup of program-capable nanomachines. Using Programming, the armor can adapt to a large number of different scenarios, more so than the former ones thanks to the far larger scale of Terran-Ixian vessels.

There really isn't much more to say about it than being capable of doing anything the Orealyianis and TIER verisons can do.

Aside from armor, Terran-Ixians also use several other methods of defense, from creating particle barriers, phasing out of normal space, bending space to redirect oncoming attacks, bending space to fling attacks back at the enemy, generating an electromagnetic barrier which acts both as a traditional barrier and as an area denial weapon, to disabling or redirecting oncoming projectiles using a mix of hyperlinks and surgical precision particle barriers, among others.

Everyone else in the SPA, like the Luzonians and Chivi, has your "traditional" sci-fi ship defenses, more or less. Do note, though, that they still contain certain variations.

The Chivi focus more on solid armor and solid projectile CIWS, the latter could range from missiles to miniature railguns.

The Luzonians tend to mix force fields with their solid armor while also employing energy-based CIWS.

Maybe because they don't see actual combat much, the Choro Deidalus are the direct opposite of the Chivi, with their cardboard ships and heavy reliance on active energy defenses.

Pakuweinia are basically industrial scale farmers IN SPACE so they really aren't known for their military. If you ever manage to ask one, though, they're ships are just as armored as you would expect of any merchant marine vessel.

Asemi haven't actively engaged in any war since they were contacted, so their actual military capability, if any, is still a big unknown. However, judging from what we do know about their technology, they appear to have the potential to employ top of the line defense systems, but not the motivation nor philosophy necessary to put it in use.

The Marakiri are basically Luzonians with most of the shields and armor replaced by point defenses.

The Atomna, well, there's already a whole arc showcasing its many methods of defense so there's really no point in elaborating about it further.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:57:57 am by Yuu »

Offline SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
  • Blood for the Blood God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 10, 2011, 07:21:44 am »
Ok, so basically all the defenders of the Talsenreave where transported to an unknown location?
Quote from: The Evil Overlords Handbook
30. All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic relief.

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #397 on: September 10, 2011, 03:47:07 pm »
I should take the time now to talk about the Goonal military. Keep in mind that almost everything in the original Goonal thread is non-canon, and I'm going to get around to making a new thread one of these days. Hopefully soon.

Goonal space stations vary widely in size, with the largest ones being roughly half to two-thirds the size of the original Death Star. The lone exception to this is the RSS* Sanctuary, which is about 1.2 times the size of the original Death Star. These space stations are remarkably well-defended (unlike the Death Star), with ultra-heavy force field and conventional shielding and diverse types of turret** defenses both specialized and adaptable: long-range turrets, short-range turrets, medium-range turrets, home-on-the-range turrets, orbital turrets, you name it. There are turret types up the wazoo***.
Virtually every single other type of Goonal military spaceship relies on hit-and-run tactics: they are small, accurate, and very fast-moving targets. Goonal tacticians have practically perfected these hit-and-run strategies. This combined with the sheer size of the UGP fleet makes for a rather formidable foe in space.

On the ground, however...well, they tend to avoid that. Instead, they send in aircraft and/or bombard the surface from orbit (another thing that they're good at). There aren't any troop carriers, drop ships, tanks, infantry, or really anything of the sort. The only real instances of what can even be considered ground troops in the Goonal military are Spec-Ops.
"I am not Commander Val'ones."
- Rear Admiral Kasark Huld

*Royal Space Station.
**Not all of these are actually turrets in the common sense of the word. Here, it refers to any direct non-shield form of defense.
***In the field of alien organs, the wazoo is not to be confused with the monetary bladder, tria gland, or splanch.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 08:29:31 pm by omegatripod »

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 11, 2011, 07:16:34 am »
Ok, so basically all the defenders of the Talsenreave where transported to an unknown location?

Yup.

On the ground, however...well, they tend to avoid that. Instead, they send in aircraft and/or bombard the surface from orbit (another thing that they're good at). There aren't any troop carriers, drop ships, tanks, infantry, or really anything of the sort. The only real instances of what can even be considered ground troops in the Goonal military are Spec-Ops.

That actually makes a ton of sense, seeing as having the high ground [in this case orbital space] is basically an "I win" button, seeing as almost any resistance can simply be solved by the proper application of orbital bombardment. For those special cases where collateral damage is deemed unfavorable, the Spec-Ops are pretty much tailor fit for the task.   :)

Offline SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 11, 2011, 07:56:57 am »

That actually makes a ton of sense, seeing as having the high ground [in this case orbital space] is basically an "I win" button, seeing as almost any resistance can simply be solved by the proper application of orbital bombardment. For those special cases where collateral damage is deemed unfavorable, the Spec-Ops are pretty much tailor fit for the task.   :)

My rant has been saved for appropriate time.
30. All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic relief.

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #400 on: September 11, 2011, 05:18:14 pm »

My rant has been saved for appropriate time.

I hope that time never comes. This is the future, old man. Gentlemanly warfare is a thing of the past. Orbital bombardment is like, totally the new thing.

Offline SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 11, 2011, 05:50:33 pm »
You’re making it leak out.

It’s boring. There I said it. There’s only so much drama and storytelling you can squeeze out of a conversations on a communicator and impersonal beam spam battles in starships. And I hate to just see all combat reduced to Point Amazing Super Weapon of Doom At Target: I Win.

Personally, I think we should just go back to Communicant War style interpretation of physics. Those people KNEW how to have fun.

The reason I'm trying not to rant about it is because I realized that when I compared it to my other favorite sci-fi universes: Star Wars and 40k in particular, they too have orbital bombardment AND epic ground battles. The reason being that 86% of the time an epic ground battle was happening, two massive fleets where duking it out above them... So then I realized it was not necessarily the end of the world fun for me.

In all honesty, in the end yours and my tastes are completely different. So this may or may not explode into an argument later.

I put a picture here of a dinosaur wearing rocket boots with the captions "**** Logic" but I had to take it out.
 :'(
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 06:21:20 pm by SimplyNecro »

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 11, 2011, 06:15:39 pm »
Thank you sir. You have precisely pointed out why I hate Rping on this board. Character driven stories FTW!'
(for the record, when the graid destroyed the world, they did it the old fashion way: lots and lots of napalm.)

Though yea, your gonna have to take out that picture
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 06:18:33 pm by Crazen »
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 11, 2011, 06:38:17 pm »
I don't like your description "Impersonal Beam Spam." For one thing, since when is any kind of battle personal? (Except those involving Spaniards and six-fingered men.) For another, I happen to like cool flashy lasers.

To tell the truth, we can have awesome ground battles and awesome space battles. Remember the opening to Star Wars III? Now that's the kind of space battle I'm talking about. You could also RP adventures on board a space station with two or more factions duking it out. I don't see any reason whatsoever why any kind of ground battle or space battle should be a bad idea.
And I hate to just see all combat reduced to Point Amazing Super Weapon of Doom At Target: I Win.

Personally, I think we should just go back to Communicant War style interpretation of physics. Those people KNEW how to have fun.
1. Amazing Super Weapons of Doom are pretty rare anyways, and they'll definitely need quite a while to charge up. That gives people a sense of urgency but also the idea that it can be stopped. Remember the Romulan red matter in the new Start Trek movie? Disabling the giant laser and all? If they're instantaneous, I call godmodding.

2. If you're going to wipe your ass with the laws of physics... You know what? Just don't. There's actually a whole lot of completely awesome and super amazing things that can be done within the bounds of reality, like relativistic projectiles and railguns. But if you adhere to Treknobabble and spew forth a bunch of sciencey gibberish that makes no sense, the whole thing will degenerate into a mess of anti-logic. Seriously, realism (or at least semi-realism) can be fun! Imagine nitrogen/phosphorus-based lifeforms who breathe ammonia and attack with electromagnetic energy weapons! That's cool!

Offline SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 11, 2011, 07:09:03 pm »
I don't like your description "Impersonal Beam Spam." For one thing, since when is any kind of battle personal? (Except those involving Spaniards and six-fingered men.) For another, I happen to like cool flashy lasers.

The coolness of flashy lasers is not to be doubted, it was just a convenient term I could use.

To tell the truth, we can have awesome ground battles and awesome space battles. Remember the opening to Star Wars III? Now that's the kind of space battle I'm talking about. You could also RP adventures on board a space station with two or more factions duking it out. I don't see any reason whatsoever why any kind of ground battle or space battle should be a bad idea.

That’s why I said I was trying to avoid ranting too much about it. I realized that maybe my fears were unfounded upon.

And I hate to just see all combat reduced to Point Amazing Super Weapon of Doom At Target: I Win.

1. Amazing Super Weapons of Doom are pretty rare anyways, and they'll definitely need quite a while to charge up. That gives people a sense of urgency but also the idea that it can be stopped. Remember the Romulan red matter in the new Start Trek movie? Disabling the giant laser and all? If they're instantaneous, I call godmodding.[/qoute]

Where in agreement then.