Author Topic: A question on legality  (Read 2524 times)

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
A question on legality
« on: August 06, 2010, 06:29:50 pm »
If you buy a game that requires the CD to play, but the CD gets lost or broken, is it illegal to download a no-CD cracked .exe?

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
Re: A question on legality
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 06:35:40 pm »
Yes.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 06:50:00 pm by Gungnir »

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 07:06:28 pm »
It is no more illegal to no-CD crack your game, than it is to use a trainer or mod it.
The issue only arises if you use no-cd cracks to install it on multiple systems, which in effect is distributing pirate copies.

But for the love of god, make sure you virus-scan the cracked executables before you use them, and always keep the original executable backed up in case you need to apply an official patch. Also, if the game has a multiplayer component to it, expect the servers to disallow you from joining because your version is different to theirs.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 07:09:20 pm by Uroboros »

Offline art_is_a_mathform

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 07:07:39 pm »
Technically? Like, "by the books"? Yeah, probably. Even if it isn't explicitly illegal, per se, you could probably get in trouble if The Man found out.

But realistically? No.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
One of the great revelations of the age of space exploration is the image of the earth finite and lonely...

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 07:09:14 pm »
Yeah, well "The Man" is a little preoccupied with Mr. Freeman at the moment.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 05:16:38 pm »
Yeah, well "The Man" is a little preoccupied with Mr. Freeman at the moment.

What did Gordon do now?

-Lego

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 05:47:05 pm »
Edit: I seem to have misread. Oops.

Still, from the things I see here and there, the general idea is "Sure it's illegal, but no one cares."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:19:29 pm by Met »

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 06:10:28 pm »
Met, the opening post of the thread is one short sentence. Perhaps you should read it before trying to 'clarify' anything. :P
"If you buy a game that requires the CD to play, but the CD gets lost or broken, is it illegal to download a no-CD cracked .exe?"
This is nothing to do with copying.

A no-cd crack, whether in form of a patcher or a modified exe, is a way to run a game, but bypassing its checks to see if a required CD is in the drive. They come in the shape of small patchers, or whole pre-cracked exe files. You jumped the gun.

Let me clarify, as many members here think piracy is okay.
We shall not be suggesting to anyone here that it's morally okay to download pirated games.
Jumped the gun past hard law, and straight into a sanctimonious morality territory at that.
You sound like you've got something you want to get off your chest...
If you feel this thread needs moderation, you could report it as such and it will be reviewed.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:19:31 pm by Uroboros »

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 02:05:39 pm »
it is completely LEGAL, as long as you have the box or any other sort of proof of purchase, and you wouldn't get in trouble if the "man" found out,
if they found out, they could try to take you to court (never going to happen) but if they did you would win the case.

Offline BlagStar

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Blagging your Blag since Blaggity Blag
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 07:12:31 pm »
I agree that it's legal.

I have several games that this has happened too, thank god I can play them again.  :-\
But I'm also in a country where piracy is common and everyone is pretty poor, so I'm not exactly worried.

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 08:55:30 pm »
Doesn't it go: "If one cannot prove that it is illegal, then it must be legal?"
Anyway, where do you live, BlagStar?
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 09:16:35 pm »
it is completely LEGAL, as long as you have the box or any other sort of proof of purchase, and you wouldn't get in trouble if the "man" found out,
if they found out, they could try to take you to court (never going to happen) but if they did you would win the case.
Screw that. I own so much music and games that i've had to throw away some of the boxes and even discard the CDs. Even if I can't show my hard copy or a receipt, that doesn't mean I don't legally own it. With how much space internal and external harddrives can store now, and at their current costs, it is far more space-efficient just to archive all your older stuff digitally. Actually, speaking of which, I should really get out that box of games and stuff, and start picking out stuff to ditch. I'll never let go of my Startopia hard copy though, no no no. The boxes to my favourites are precious. Just because!

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 09:27:55 pm »
Screw that. I own so much music and games that i've had to throw away some of the boxes and even discard the CDs. Even if I can't show my hard copy or a receipt, that doesn't mean I don't legally own it. With how much space internal and external harddrives can store now, and at their current costs, it is far more space-efficient just to archive all your older stuff digitally. Actually, speaking of which, I should really get out that box of games and stuff, and start picking out stuff to ditch. I'll never let go of my Startopia hard copy though, no no no. The boxes to my favourites are precious. Just because!
Agreed. As I said somewhere in another topic, I want so darn badly to torrent Mechwarrior 3 sence my third hard copy got broken years ago, and that game was one of the first games I ever played. In fact, it was the second game I ever played, the first being Submarine Titans. Alas, every torrent I find for it is shizzle, and is messed up and won't download. Remember kids, if you have a destructive older brother, keep your prized possessions out of his reach!

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 09:59:21 pm »
Reminds me of the time I accidentally gave a store my first copy of Ghost Recon. I was trading in some other game, but forgot that I was using the case as a temporary holder for GR as well as the other game. Surprised the clerk didn't realise this because I could have sworn he opened it up as per usual, to check the CD was in there...