Author Topic: Text Based Adventure  (Read 8077 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline martyk

  • Simon Belmont
  • *****
  • Posts: 5333
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
Text Based Adventure
« on: July 23, 2010, 11:22:30 am »
Right, so what we're going to be doing is playing out a text based adventure, similar to a game like Zork, making stuff up as we go along.  I will start us off with a description of our current location and what our first action is.  The next poster will write up the result of that action, followed by our next action.  This then continues on down the line.  Feel free to make up game mechanics as necessary as we go along.  Let's see what happens.



You are standing in what appears to be the foyer of a house.  You see a table with a stack of papers on it nearby.  To the North is a closed door, which presumably leads outside.  To the South is an open door leading into the house.  To the East is a closet.

> Examine self_


Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
Quote
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Krakow Sam

  • Moderator
  • Dungeon Sieger
  • *****
  • Posts: 24480
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Text Based Adventure
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 11:23:36 am »
You are a humble hobgoblin, you are wearing a straw hat, a loincloth and an Amulet of Yendor.

> East
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Didero

  • Turkey Shoot Terminator
  • *****
  • Posts: 3196
    • View Profile
Re: Text Based Adventure
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 11:33:09 am »
You stand in front of the closet. After having walked all this way, you might as well open it.
Inside it is your favourite jacket, your prized Amulet Of Yendor 'exclusive' 'collectors edition' protection satchel, and a spare straw hat.

> Search for secret compartments

Offline martyk

  • Simon Belmont
  • *****
  • Posts: 5333
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
Re: Text Based Adventure
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 11:37:09 am »
As you grope through the darkness, you find the closet seems much deeper than you remember.  Moving backwards, you are surpised to find it getting steadily colder, as it get's brighter.  Before you know it, you are standing outside in a snow covered forest.  You briefly baffled at this strange turn before you remember that the wall behind your closet got knocked out a while ago and you have yet to have the opportunity to fix it.

> West
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
Quote
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Haseri

  • Lode Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 2211
    • View Profile
Re: Text Based Adventure
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 12:01:28 pm »
Heading west means going back inside through the closet.

You are standing in what appears to be the foyer of a house.  You see a table with a stack of papers on it nearby.  To the North is a closed door, which presumably leads outside.  To the South is an open door leading into the house.  To the East is a closet, with a hole to outside.

> Examine stack of papers.

Offline Krakow Sam

  • Moderator
  • Dungeon Sieger
  • *****
  • Posts: 24480
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Text Based Adventure
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 10:31:56 pm »
They are warranty papers for the defective Amulet of Yendor you ordered from that crooked catalogue shopping company. They haven't replied to any of your letters, and you don't have anything better to do with your time, so you've made it your personal quest to track those crooks down and GET YOUR MONEY BACK.

>north
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Cyst

  • Space Harrier
  • *****
  • Posts: 4092
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
Re: Text Based Adventure
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 10:37:46 pm »
You walk into the northern wall. Nice job dumbass.

> Down
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline martyk

  • Simon Belmont
  • *****
  • Posts: 5333
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
Re: Text Based Adventure
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 10:52:04 pm »
There is no way down from here.

>Open front door
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
Quote
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Yossitaru

  • SunDog Pilot
  • *****
  • Posts: 3351
    • View Profile
Re: Text Based Adventure
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 11:09:57 pm »
This is the backdoor, you ninny.

>Open backdoor.
Virus Buster.

Offline Cyst

  • Space Harrier
  • *****
  • Posts: 4092
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
Re: Text Based Adventure
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 11:19:28 pm »
You open the backdoor. Maybe next time you should just say open door?

> Jump through window in the north wall.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Yuu

  • Civilization Emperor
  • *****
  • Posts: 10050
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Re: Text Based Adventure
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 11:46:43 pm »
There is no window, durr...

> Remove all clothes

Offline Krakow Sam

  • Moderator
  • Dungeon Sieger
  • *****
  • Posts: 24480
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Text Based Adventure
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 11:11:39 am »
You decide you've wasted enough time following frivolous commands and just walk out of your house via the front door instead.

You are standing in a snow-covered yard ringed with a picket fence with an open gate. There is a mailbox by the gate, the red flag doodad is MISSING. Paths stretch EAST and WEST around the back of your house. To the South is your FRONT DOOR. To the NORTH is the winding path leading into the forest in which you live.

> Examine mailbox
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Didero

  • Turkey Shoot Terminator
  • *****
  • Posts: 3196
    • View Profile
Re: Text Based Adventure
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 11:47:00 am »
For some weird reason the red flag thingy is inside the mailbox instead of on the outside where it belongs.

When you take it out you notice there's an envelope underneath it. Maybe it's a reply from those crooks that sold you the amulet!
You put the flag thingamabob back on the mailbox, and wonder what to do next.

> Open envelope

Offline Lush City

  • Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • *****
  • Posts: 2774
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
Re: Text Based Adventure
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 12:08:41 pm »
Its a message from the Colonization Authority! You've been chosen to go to Alkathorpp. But if you don't pay up the money you owe (wasting your Gold Credits on cheap SkyMall Amulets again :P) they'll break your orange kneecaps. Better ask your boss for a raise.

>Go to work

Offline martyk

  • Simon Belmont
  • *****
  • Posts: 5333
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
Re: Text Based Adventure
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 12:48:28 pm »
I don't know which way WORK is.

> Go North
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
Quote
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net