Author Topic: Rogue Trader RPG  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
Rogue Trader RPG
« on: July 22, 2010, 10:52:40 am »
This is the Rogue Trader Topic. More a general discussion of this new game form Gamesworkshop more then a announcement for any game yet. Rogue Trader is Smiler to Dark Heresy. Both games are set in the Warhammer 40k universe. But rather then working for the Inquisition you work as a part of exploratory fleet. You belong to the group of adventures that boldly go where no man has gone before (and probably for a good reason) You mission is to seek out new world and new civilizations.. and kill them for the name of the emperor! (Filthily Xenos) Though Rogue Traders have more freedom then most in the Imperium of man which might make this game more interested for those that though you had to little freedom in Dark Heresy. Is a different but smiler game. One full of adventure in the unknown.

Oh and some other cool stuff. If you have a Dark Heresy character you can import it to Rogue Trade with minimum effort (If your to low level you get a bit of XP to take up you to minimum level ;) )

I will post a character creation system soon that is made to give out Quasi-random character for those worried about fairness.

Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader RPG
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 02:37:57 pm »
OK here is the system i wanted to introduced for character creation. It is made to give a Quasi random outcome of character to minimize cheating. Is not prefect but is flaws are acceptable. I will run the example.

The character is named Kassandra the Dark She have gotten her name because she has dark hair (Which is really weird for a Astropath who normally have no hair at all) and a dark aura around her. Once she was just know as Kassandra from Invincible Death, The Rogue trader ship she was born on. Anyway lets get on with the process.

Step 1: select a name.
In this case Kassandra the Dark. Use the full name if possible. The names uniqueness is a factor. ;)
Step 2: generate characteristics
For the base line Array of the this is done with the following method. Go over to This web page on Random.org for Integer generation. You will see it in advanced mode. If not make sure it is. Go down to Use pregenerated randomization based on persistent identifier and type in the name of you character name like this
Code: [Select]
<Charcter Name> Characteristics ArrayIt is very impotent you use the exact same wording else you will get out a incorrect array. Do not forget Capital letters. for ease of use format the output so you get 18 numbers with a value form 1-10 in two columns. Each row will represent each stat.

Example:
Input: Kassandra the Dark Characteristics Array

Row1 Row2 Base Total
WS 1 4 +25 30
BS 5 2 +15 32
S 6 10 +25 41
T 2 3 +25 30
A 4 5 +25 35
I 1 2 +25 28
P 9 2 +25 36
W 6 6 +25 37
F 3 9 +25 37

For Reroll you pick a stat you want to Reroll and write code below. Make sure to format it so that you just roll 2 numbers. Technically you can cheat and look if the Reroll is better then the roll you had before beforehand. But is up to you really. In the grand scheme of things it does not really change that much and this system is not flawless. In Kassandra case a choice to Reroll Willpower after very careful consideration. Rerolling Int was very tempting but the Willpower will be my more impotent stat and is just 12 total which is barely above the average roll of 11.
<Charcter Name> Characteristics RerollExample:
Input: Kassandra the Dark Characteristics Reroll
8 9
Alternative method introduced in the book. For many like me the alternative method is a bit more appealing in many way but also take away any chance which generally means that the stats will look nice and rounded being optimized for the character you plan to play. But you can not sheet the system if the GM knows how to count ether so it also have that thing going for it. This array is generated by having a base +25 all the Characteristics stats and then getting 100 points to distribute between all 9 stats. You must put 1-20 in each stats but just one stat can be 20 however. The average roll with random will net you 99 points on average roll but add to that you get a reroll and you stats will general end up with more then 100 points so is more the fair. Again you could "cheat" here and roll random first and the do point buy method. But is up to you and i do not think it matters that much.

If i do Kassandra the Dark as a example we will get
WS 25+05=30
BS 25+05=30
S 25+10=35
T 25+05=30
A 25+15=40
I 25+15=40
P 25+15=40
W 25+20=45
F 25+10=35
Step 3: select your Origin path
Close you path you want to develop you character. In Kassandra's case it was Voidborn->Scavanger->Tainted->The Hand of War->Endurence->Astropath Trancendent

At times during this process you will come to situations when you need to roll random values. This may be anything form fate points to mutations.  So here i will write some codes how to handle that.
Fate
<character name> FateWounds
<character name> WoundsInsanity
<character name> <insanity source> InsanityCorruption
<character name> <insanity source> CorruptionMutant
<character name> MutantMutant array (Remember to first change it to check the number of mutations and then what mutations you got.)
<character name> Mutant ArrayCharacteristics change
<character name> <characteristics source change> <characteristics changed>
Example 1:
Input: Kassandra the Dark Scavenger Insanity
Output: 1

Example 2:
Input: Kassandra the Dark Mutant Array
Number of Mutations: 5
18 Feels no Pain
78 Necrophage
53 Wyldling
98 Shadow Kin
80 Corrupt Flesh

There may have been some stuff i have missed as there are a lot of things you can get to roll on. If you find any please post your suggestion for code that should be used in that case. Remember it should be Unique
Step 4: Finishing touches
The last step is relatively easy. Just spend the XP you got and do all the other minor things. Write the background of the character and your done. Good luck
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 05:03:44 pm by Yokto »
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)