Poll

Is it time to move into the First Age of Relations?

Yes
10 (58.8%)
No
7 (41.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: "Dawn of Worlds: The Last Continent" OOC  (Read 26259 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
"Dawn of Worlds: The Last Continent" OOC
« on: July 18, 2010, 09:10:35 pm »
In the beginning there was void and the creator made the fabric of proto-existence and... ok, maybe that's too early to start this story.

Ahem.

Some time after the beginning, after Reality and its guardians were instated, and divided into planes and set into orderly and regular motion, Crosimus, the architect of the Prime Material, took up his divine tools and created the world of Cyona and its two moons (Due to divine hi-jinx, one actually ended up being the Sun, and you think yourself lucky it did).
From the oceans he raised up four continents; (and some other things like archipelagos and polar icecaps, but those aren't very interesting), Grand Rudlec, Forgotten Eyvind, Shattered Maswokark and the Fourth Continent, the Last Continent. The Fourth Continent has no name. Not yet at least, no name and no history. But it does have a shape, and that my friends, is a start... 

What the hell is this?

This is the OOC and planning thread for a new forum game/project the likes of which ye have not yet seen!

Dawn of Worlds is a set of rules for collaboratively creating a fantasy land; shaping its terrain, populating it with a variety of races and civilisations, building their cities, leading them through war and peace and laying down their history.

Cyona is a homebrew setting for 3.5 edition Dungeons and Dragons, started by Celdur a few years ago when he ran the first few successful games of DnD involving GS forum members, and continuously expanded since then by all of us to what it is now.

In this one of a kind Gaming Steve Forum Event we are combining these two elements to create an entirely new continent for DnD players to explore. But don't think that this is all about Dungeons and Dragons. The process of creation will be fun in and of itself, and I think even people who don't get to play will get a kick out of watching a totally original fantasy world develop right before their eyes.

How will it work?

Mr Wizard and myself will organise a list of players (with an upper limit of ten or eleven), who will take on the role of the Old Gods of the Cyona Pantheon. Each player will play the role of a specific god, each of which has a different personality and different inclinations and motivations. A game thread will be created and a series of rounds will be played, following the rules set out in the Dawn of Worlds PDF. To adapt the game to forum play, individual turns will be abolished, and people will be free to take their actions at any time during a round. In each round, the gods will make changes to the game map, shaping terrain and climate, creating races and cities, and acting out the various exploits and power struggles of their creations.

One big difference between the standard Dawn of Worlds game and this one is the order of the Ages which form the game. While classic Dawn of Worlds has three ages (Land, Races and Relations) ours will have five or six (to be finalised). Following the third age, the world will be consumed in the God Wars, devastation will wrack the continent and many of the gods will die. After the end of the god war, new gods will rise and be assigned to players who were filling the roles of any gods who perished during the period of strife (and new players may also be able to join) and an age or even two of reconstruction will follow.

Once all this has happened we will have a shiny NEW continent to explore, but a new continent with an exciting and storied history.

How do I sign up? 

If you are interested in participating, first of all carefully read the Dawn of Worlds pdf (linked above). Don't worry, it isn't long. Next, send me and Mr Wizard a PM expressing your desire to participate. Regrettably, we will not be able to let everyone participate in this game, but don't be discouraged if you aren't chosen right away, dropouts and the in-game God War event may still allow you to play at a later date.

Once we have confirmed you as a prospective player, look at the list of gods (will be posted below) and pick a first and second choice. Pick carefully, as your actions will in some degree need to reflect the personality and domains of the god you end up playing.

Anything else?

Yes.
If you are interested in participating, please remember that while this is a game, it is not a competition. There is no way to 'win' and it is not an excuse for petty one-upmanship or acting out personal vendettas. You will be expected to cooperate to create an interesting and cool background for this world, and to take any unexpected or unwanted actions against your creations and plans with good grace. Controversial actions will be evaluated by the other players and possibly put to vote, with Mr Wizard and I having the final say in the case of ties. (In the case of ties between Mr Wizard and Myself, lady luck will decide)

That's all for now! More info to come soon.

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
Re: "Dawn of Worlds: The Last Continent" OOC
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 09:19:15 pm »
List of Available Gods

Ashra
- Subtle and Enigmatic
- Seeks Ultimate Knowledge
- Master Manipulator
- True Neutral, seeks balance

Baloria
- Self-absorbed and Vain
- Wishes to create beauty and to be worshipped by lesser beings
- Neutral Evil, cares only about herself

Galep
- Peaceful and Kind
- Master of the gentle aspects of nature
- Neutral Good

Imornouz
- Barbaric, stubborn and stupid
- Seeks to subdue others through brute force
- Master of giants, ogres, trolls and similar monsters
- Lawful Evil

Innichanne
- Dilligent, benevolent and fair
- Encourages community, rewards hard work, builds societies
- Master of merchants, lawmakers and bureaucrats
- Lawful neutral

Morna
- Headstrong, compassionate and fierce
- Opposes all forms of imprisonment and seeks the end of slavery and the death of tyrannies
- Champion of the oppressed and leader of paladins and good warriors
- Lawful Good

Nahequi
- Sinister, Scheming, diabolical
- Dark mistress of secrets, fear and forbidden knowledge
- Leader of witches, spies, assassins and all manner of subtle villains and sowers of terror
- Neutral Evil

Rahdin
- Honourable, Stern, Unflinching, duty-bound
- Protector of nature and master of the raw power of the wild
- Leader of druids and honourable fey, protector of the forests and the people who live in harmony with nature
- Lawful neutral

Ral-Ral
- Fickle, greedy, capricious and craven
- Master of the sun, deserts and the scaly folk of the world
- Loves gold and riches, practical jokes and living the high life
- Chaotic Neutral

Shub
- Sensual, maternal, nurturing
- Mother goddess of fertility and agriculture
- Provides good harvest and helps communities flourish and multiply
- Lawful neutral

Valian
- Goodhearted, good-humoured and compassionate
- Bestower of talents and good fortune on mortals
- Patron of artists and craftsmen
- Wishes to spread beauty and happiness, freedom from tyrrany
- Chaotic Good
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 09:21:41 pm by Krakow Sam »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 09:41:03 pm »
Occasionally Asked Questions

Q. Will 'power' be kept track of as the pdf says it should be or will it be something we don't really take care of via a forum type scenario?

A. Power will still be the basis for all actions during the game. However, instead of rolling power themselves, power will be rolled, calculated and distributed by those of us running the game. Otherwise it will be handled exactly as written in the original rules.

Q. Are we sticking to traditional fantasy races or should we make something more original?

A. Yes and no. The traditional spectrum of fantasy races such as elves and dwarfs already exist on this world, albeit on another continent. However, this isn't to say everyone should go nuts and make some totally alien race. This continent will need to be playable as a setting for DnD, so try to keep most of the races close to a humanoid norm. An additional command "Create non-standard race" will be added to cater for aberrant, powerful or simply oddly sized races (something in the ballpark of Dragons, Giants and doppelgangers)

Q. What about dead races and ruins?

A. These should emerge naturally in the course of the game. Due to the conflicting proclivities of the gods there will be conflict, and there is a good chance your creations will suffer as a result. Remember, this game is not a competition, if your race is destroyed take comfort in the fact the ruins of their city will be a kickass dungeon for some heroes to some day explore.

Q. What about the other gods in the lore, why can't we play as them?

A. A few gods were excluded simply because they are too old and/or powerful (Vatkir, Iolar, Thysellia) some were excluded because their influence is too broad to pin down to any specific races or cults (For example Roedor is the god who gave mortals the secret of technology, so any mortal race which uses technology beyond the most primitive level will have some reverence for him), and some were excluded because their scope is too narrow or they aren't concerned with the material plane (Mang and Albatross simply wander the planes, Noelan takes a passive role in history, Kharrgan only cares about destruction, etc).
However, if the game is going slowly, some of the more powerful gods may make their presence felt by causing events or issuing mandates to the lesser gods shaping the land.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:01:20 pm by Krakow Sam »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 09:58:02 pm »
How in the wide wide world of sports are we going to deal with race creation? What if we end up with a bazillion different races? That's going to be very confusing and probably show-stopping!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 10:03:40 pm »
I'm glad you asked!

The potential problem of too many races will probably be handled by the implementation of some sort of price rise on creating new races beyond a certain point, or just a flat price increase on race creation (won't apply to sub-races).

Another price-hike will also be implemented to reduce the prevalence of creatures which deviate too drastically from human norms (in short, that race of giant squidbirds is going to cost you more than the guy who made a race of hairy four eyed apes)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 11:30:22 am »
We should probably have a standard format for people taking their turns, to make things easy to keep track of. I suggest:

Summary
Power Available: [##]
Actions taken:
  • [Action name] - [type, ##cost]
  • [Action name] - [type, ##cost]
Power Remaining: [##]
Running Bonus: [##]

Actions
[Action name]
[Description of above action]
[Roleplaying/flavour notes, if required]
[Action name]

Code: [Select]
[u]Summary[/u]
[b]Power Available[/b]: [##]
[b]Actions taken[/b]:
[list]
[li][Action name] - [type, ##cost][/li]
[li][Action name] - [type, ##cost][/li]
[/list]
[b]Power Remaining[/b]: [##]
[b]Running Bonus[/b]: [##]

[u]Actions[/u]
[b][Action name][/b]
[b][Action name][/b]

Any objections or suggestions for improvement?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 11:31:57 am by Daxx »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 03:31:47 pm »
Looks good to me.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 07:35:56 pm »
Confirmed Participants

The following people have been confirmed for the game:

Brandonazz
Celdur
Darth Grievi
Daxx
Josasa
Krakow Sam
Little
Martyk
Mr Wizard
Neoadept
Patman33
Yokto
Yossitaru

Everyone else, better luck next time. We'll keep you in mind if there are any dropouts or future opportunities for you to participate.

Now what everyone needs to do is pick a first and second choice for the god they want to play and post them in this thread. Demand for some gods may be high and not everyone will be able to get their first choice, but we will determine who gets their first choice at random so its fair. If you see someone has the same choice as you then you are welcome to privately work it out, just don't fill this thread with bickering!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 12:22:24 pm by Krakow Sam »

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 07:39:20 pm »
Let's see...

First: Ral-Ral
Second: Ashra

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 07:42:54 pm »
First: Baloria
Second: Nahequi

But if it really comes down to it, you can put me in as a total random selection. I'll be able to adjust for whatever you decide I should play.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 07:48:05 pm »
Second: Innichanne

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 07:48:54 pm »
1) Innichanne
2) Rahdin

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 08:15:06 pm »
Second: Innichanne

You jerk! That's not what you said last night! >:(

In bed. :o

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 08:22:54 pm »
Phooey.  I missed this.  This sounds like it's going to be amazing fun.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 08:39:12 pm »
First: Galep
Second: Valian
Virus Buster.