Author Topic: "DarkSpore"  (Read 38922 times)

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
Re: "DarkSpore"
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2010, 08:51:33 am »
Seeing Will on that aircraft carrier lying to our faces about the accomplishment of Spore was just deja vu all over again.

I don't think that actually happened.

Offline Prok

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2010, 12:42:55 pm »
This does sound interesting, but like everyone else, I'll remain skeptical yet pay attention to any bits of news / info releases.

I think the real annoying part of post-release Spore was how they just kept spamming Spore games across all the different systems.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but that definitely did not happen for The Sims (until later after it was already very successful), and even if The Sims does have a few spinoffs on consoles, its main focus is without doubt PC.  With Spore it seems like they weren't so much trying to make PC gamers happy as they were trying so hard to come up with a super-popular money-magnet.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2010, 01:50:02 pm »
With Spore it seems like they weren't so much trying to make PC gamers happy as they were trying so hard to come up with a super-popular money-magnet.
Well, EA is a business. And each business' goal is to make money, because if it isn't, it would be bankrupt within days. The thing other games businesses do better is achieving the latter BY doing the former.
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2010, 02:26:36 am »
Wasn't there a whole lot of interconnectivity with the fans around the release? SETI or NASA or whatever did a thing with some fan creatures and the supplementary book name drops this very forum

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2010, 02:34:28 am »
Because those 3 months totally made up for the 3 freaking years of bugger all information.

And then decided Wossy was more important than us and gave him a copy early. But now he's left the BBC, WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2010, 05:05:58 am »
Wasn't there a whole lot of interconnectivity with the fans around the release? SETI or NASA or whatever did a thing with some fan creatures and the supplementary book name drops this very forum

Which book name drops?

EDIT: Found it. It was page 137 of "Spore: The Evolution".

"... I found these on GamingSteve, and people were commenting back on these icons further developing the ideas that they expressed. ..." - Lucy Bradshaw

She was talking about the Spore Icons that Jaleho made.

Looks like they are all gone now. I wonder if any still exist in the "interwebz".

EDIT2: All i could find is the ones LadyM put on that bag she made. Looks likes its a real collectors item if all the icons have disappeared from existence.

EDIT3: I talked with Jaleho and all of his icons have been deleted and are gone. :(
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 03:48:30 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Prok

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2010, 05:12:22 pm »

She was talking about the Spore Icons that Jaleho made.

Looks like they are all gone now. I wonder if any still exist in the "interwebz".

EDIT2: All i could find is the ones LadyM put on that bag she made. Looks likes its a real collectors item if all the icons have disappeared from existence.

EDIT3: I talked with Jaleho and all of his icons have been deleted and are gone. :(

Maybe it's your lucky day... I downloaded all those icons (98 of them) a couple years ago and I still use them for my screensaver.  PM me if you want them and I can just send a zipped package it to your e-mail or something (if a lot of people want them I'll probably just put them on megaupload).

EDIT: Oh I almost forgot... would this be OK Jaleho?  I assume you would want them too, of all people.

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2010, 06:27:09 pm »
Boycott the frakking nerf herders. They'll hurt bad, what with the economy being what it is. It'll send a message to Maxis, and any other boneheaded companies that think so little of their consumers that they think they can get by with oversimplified garbage.
Spore! Star Wars! Dinosaurs!
Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2010, 06:31:46 pm »
I've got all the icons too.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

gec05

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2010, 07:21:31 pm »
EDIT: Oh I almost forgot... would this be OK Jaleho?  I assume you would want them too, of all people.

I believe your message will fall deaf to Jaleho. He hasn't been here in ages.

Though he does have a blog he recently frequents.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2010, 07:54:18 pm »

I believe your message will fall deaf to Jaleho. He hasn't been here in ages.

Though he does have a blog he recently frequents.

Well I talked to him here. Your best bet is to message him on Deviant Art.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2010, 09:03:04 pm »
I think it might be a bit early in the process to be calling for a boycott, Logan.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2010, 07:47:20 am »
1. Did they actually put some of the icons in the book, or just mention them?

2. The fact that at least two people saved all the icons is part of the reason I deleted all my art from the last 20 years -- I figured if my work was worth saving, then someone else would have saved it by now. And I was right!

3. You guys are free to do whatever you want with them. Like I mentioned when I first created them, they're mostly mash-ups of the original site animation anyway, so I never felt like I owned them to begin with.

4. I don't need a copy of the files myself - I'm busy making new, better stuff. Out with the old, ya know?

5. Wha? Someone knows about my new blog? Wow... we just started it a few weeks ago.

6. Personally, I wish someone would incorporate the spore technology into the sims -- allow for gradual aging and custom animations (height of character and height of target to interact with would no longer matter) but I work with a guy now who used to be QA Lead at Maxis and he said the teams were territorial about their technology - either that they didn't want to share, or they didn't want to concede to using code made by "the other team". Reminds me of the Lisa/Macintosh battles at Apple as shown in "Pirates of Silicon Valley"

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2010, 02:42:33 pm »
Yay! Ok then I guess that's a go for reposting his icons! :D

I am not sure if it would be better to repost them in the old thread or a brand new one.

And to stay on topic perhaps we should make new ones in the same theme for "Darkspore".
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 02:44:24 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2010, 08:12:29 am »
"Nerf-herders?"