Author Topic: "DarkSpore"  (Read 38981 times)

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
Re: "DarkSpore"
« Reply #285 on: June 14, 2012, 10:42:46 am »
Doesn't the game have a demo on Steam too? Might want to try that one first.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #286 on: June 14, 2012, 01:59:39 pm »
I was kind enough to have been gifted a copy of this game.

For five bucks, it's worth it. Shoot, I'm sure a few of us would even play some multiplayer games if you asked around. Truthfully though, the game itself is probably only worth about fifteen bucks. It's okay but very... uh... meh. (the game isn't meh, I was just not very motivated to finish the sentence... which is a fairly accurate description of the game)

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 15, 2012, 07:24:39 am »
That's what it seemed like it would be. You know, I dare say it's a devolved version of original Spore.

I mean, at least the original was a little more open-ended.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 15, 2012, 08:33:48 am »
You know, I dare say it's a devolved version of original Spore.

Wow. This might just be the bravest thing I have read on this forum.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 15, 2012, 09:17:25 am »

what about when I called spore was going to be a disappointment back when everybody was giddy in excitement waiting for it?

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 15, 2012, 09:24:55 am »
KILL THE UNBELIEVER.

But, naw. DarkSpore is kinda like Diablo 2, if D2 had a far smaller pool of abilities, and if the objectives were far far more restrained. Darkspore is literally about running from one end of a level to another, but in D2 style. I have to admit it still has the addictive Spore quality when it comes to customising your heroes, but it does so on top of an item grinding/sorting deal. When you fill up your inventory and have to sort out what to sell, if you're like me, you'd have to comb through them for the ones you want to keep. The game is better in groups, where you can show off your champions, but it still lacks a vital spark to make it really engaging.

I liked the audio design and atmosphere, they did a pretty awesome job there. Though I was a bit miffed when I found the big roster of characters is actually just a small roster of characters that repeats, with minor alterations.

$5 is a great price for it, given the longevity. $10 is a good 'normal' price.
And that feels really mean of me. The game has some nice polish but at core it just... lacks, y'know?

what about when I called spore was going to be a disappointment back when everybody was giddy in excitement waiting for it?
That was probably just kind of annoying. The pre-spore forums discussion comprised of two things. The first being an ongoing storm of ideas, ranging from awesome to horrible, because I'll say this for Spore : It really inspired people. Hell, it got a lot of us to pick up a pencil and start scribbling childish, awesome designs, or start writing little stories. Seeing that spark in people was actually kind of adorable and awesome. The second part of the forums were the chronic doomsayers, who just had to insert into nearly every thread, about how Spore was going to be crap and that apparently our lives are going to degenerate to immediate suicide when we play it (because those who looked forward to it were apparently some kind of obsessed cult). I mean, we had a few discussions about what the finished game would be like, along with our worries and hopes, and that was all cool. It was just when "YOU FOOLS! IT WILL BE S**T!" appeared in every other thread as an unintentional hijack, that we got annoyed. :P

Offline Didero

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 15, 2012, 10:33:45 am »
it got a lot of us to pick up a pencil and start scribbling childish [...] designs
Don't remind me >_>

Offline Gec

• Defender Devotee
  • I dig 'em.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 15, 2012, 03:10:11 pm »
Hey, I cherished those days. Not so much about the game itself, but all the creative things we did.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #293 on: June 15, 2012, 05:45:21 pm »
I loved those days, that's what brought me to the forum in the first place and led to real relationships and trips to EA. In all honesty, I liked the game too.

Offline Didero

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 16, 2012, 12:47:39 am »
Oh, I didn't mean I disliked all the creativity.
Uroboros just reminded me of my first post, that's all.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 16, 2012, 10:20:23 am »
Hah, that's just the natural order of the civilised sectors of the internet. You start out scruffy and then slowly learn how to fold your collar~
That actually applies to posting demeanour and artistic growth. Besides, nobody starts out at the height of creativity, there is a whole lot of trial and error involved in the practice side of things. Giving up because their first results aren't masterpieces is where most people go wrong. If you can have harmless fun with whatever you do, to hell with what other people think~

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #296 on: June 16, 2012, 05:28:50 pm »
Hey, I cherished those days. Not so much about the game itself, but all the creative things we did.

Heck, we could probably still do more stuff if we wanted to. :D

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 16, 2012, 08:23:59 pm »
Do it. DOOO EEEET.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile