Author Topic: Cunae Testing RP  (Read 4324 times)

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
Cunae Testing RP
« on: July 06, 2010, 03:17:00 pm »
Nikos Verdo looked out over his balcony and into the inner city of Cunae. It was a beautiful day, all the more pretty because of the festival that would be going on later tonight. There would be music, dancing, good food, drinking, but most importantly, the other noble families of Cunae. This was the reason that Nikos was going to attend. For the past several years he had dreamed about starting his own family. In some of the dreams he led a simple life, but in others he was the father of a burgeoning family that had influence throughout Cunae. Verdo was a powerful name, and the mere mention of it could get things done. But it was only a dream, no matter how badly Nikos wished it to be true.

But tonight could be different. Tonight was the night that he was going to make his entrance into the social life of Cunae, and hopefully secure a position among their elite. It wouldn't be easy, but the fact that he was a distinguished man of the military and a well known war hero would help. That and the fact that his great aunt had somewhat paved the way by knowing people in higher places. Now Nikos just had to connect the two in order to make his name more well known.

Nikos stepped back into his villa. It was a nice establishment, although far from the nicest in Cunae. It was something that he could afford without spending all of his inheritance on land. But it suited his needs perfectly. Nikos made his way over to his dresser, going through the robes he had acquired over the years. Royal blue or military red? he asked himself. After a few seconds of indecision he settled on military red, thinking that this would make him more recognizable to the people at the festival.

"This should be interesting," Nikos mumbled to himself as he slipped out of his toga and into the red robe.

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
Re: Cunae Testing RP
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 05:05:42 pm »
Brutus grunted as he swept a back-handed blow towards his foe, his foe taking a step back on the hard wood floor. His foe blocks the strike deftly, both grinning. Although Brutus has graduated from the 'marching ranks', as Bourgeois liked to call his troops, he always enjoyed a spar with his friends. Just because one had risen farther up in station didn't mean he was negligent with fitness and fighting, after all. The heated battle continued for a few moments before winding down, both tired and sweaty from their exercise. As the pair walked back to put their training blades, the creak of a wooden door alerted them to a new presence, and both spun around in surprise, instinctively reaching for their sheathed, wooden, blades. Bourgeois, the patriarch of the family, chuckled as he said, "Easy, boys. I'm not here to fight anyone. There's a social event tonight, Brutus, and you're coming. The man with the brimming energy of youth grinned, nodded, and unsheathed his sword, launching a surprise attack on his sparring partner as Bourgeois  chuckled quietly to himself and strode out the door.
___

"Margret, could you be a dear and inform the ladies that we have a social engagement tonight, and I expect that the ladies of our family shall be attending."
"Yes, Father. Does this include Amelia?"
"Margret, I know your feelings towards your brother's wife, but please, try not to aggravate her. I am fond of her, and she is a member of the family, so be nice, or we'll have to do something about your allowance."
"Yes, Father."
Door closing.
"Manipulative old bastard, lording his money over me. One day, when I have money, I'll reclaim my place as the Anucdian lady that the public envies, and I'll have the life Amelia could only dream of. Maid!"
Sound of soft steps on the floor.
"Yes, Lady Margaret?"
"Tell the servants to prepare me a bath, and send messages to the other 'women' in this household that tonight there is a festival being thrown. Tell them Bourgeois expects them to be at their finest.
"Yes, mi`lady."
___

The Anucdian clan proudly walked down the torch-lit cobblestones leading to the Verdo villa, the males and their retinues proudly marching behind Bourgeois in full dress, dark blue robes bearing the family crest. Brutus was, as usual, the exception to the rule, marching in the front with a gold-filigree armour plate strapped onto his front and a ceremonial sword hanging within easy reach, a small cordon of close friends from his regiment days serving as bodyguards. The ladies walked gracefully behind the men, positively glowing in their sapphire dresses due to the pampering and preparation that had taken place earlier that day, in anticipation for this event. Some tongues wagged outside the walls that the Anucdian ladies were a bit too concerned with appearance, but as Thery enjoyed saying, 'One should always look better than everyone else.' The group was stopped at the gate by a guard, and after a moment of scanning a list, the group was let in.
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 05:21:30 pm »
Ikares almost tripped as he hurried between the majestic marble houses. The wine amphorae he was carrying fell for a fragment of a second before he caught it with both of his arms, his heart beating like a marching drum. He had been a slave of the Verdo household for 2 months now and was still scared to death every time his master trusted him an important task. The brusque stoic tendencies of Nikos Verdo sent shivers down Ikares spine. This particular wine came from pater Jermens wine yard, a reputable winery. It had been ordered by his master in the last second as what seemed to be a pure impulse. Nikos had acted quite tense the last few days Nikos had noticed, meaning he's got all the more of a reason to be anxious himself.

As he rushed around the corner to the backdoor of the Verdo estate he recognized pater Anucdian, Bourgeois himself, and what seemed to be his family, as they were greeted by one of the household slaves. He placed the amphorae in an iron stand and discretely moved himself through the house to avoid disturbing the early guests as he approached Nikos room to inform him about the arrival of the wine and his first guests.
@davidramnero

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 06:33:40 pm »
Nikos was a bit startled when Ikares announced that the Anucdian family had arrived. He quickly regained his composure though and fired off several questions.

"Is the food ready?"
"Yes, lord," Ikares replied.
"And the torches are lit in the courtyard?"
"Yes, lord."
"And did that wine arrive?"
"Yes, lord. It has already been placed out with the rest of the spread," Ikares reported.
"Well done, Ikares. Now go make sure that everything else is set. I have guests to great."

With that Nikos glided out of his room, doing his best to mask the smile that came to his face. He was excited and nervous, but the way things were starting off it wasn't so bad. The food and wine were ready to be consumed, and if the weather held then it would make for a beautiful night. And that would allow him to show off his courtyard. What his villa lacked in size and eminence, it very nearly made up for with its courtyard. A large cobblestone pathway extended from the house to the gate, and in the middle of this was a large wading pool. Many smaller trails drifted off from the pathway and led into the gardens. Various flowers accompanied the walkway while trees provided a nice cover from the sky. Several large rows of bushes divided the courtyard so that guests could afford some privacy if they were so inclined.

Nikos made his way to the steps that led to the cobblestone pathway and stood their waiting as the Anucdian family was led towards him by one of his house slaves.
"Greetings Anucdian family and welcome to the Verdo household!" Nikos said with a large smile.

Offline Little

• I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 07:05:59 pm »
Bourgeois Anucdian confidently steps forward, giving a subtle gesture for Bertrandu and Brutus to accompany him. He pauses for a moment as his son and favourite grandson step to his side, and then breaks into a wide smile. Brutus regards Nikos with a gaze filled with something close to worship, while Bertrandu just grins and tries to figure out what to say. Bourgeois offers his hand and says, "My clan greatly appreciates being invited. May prosperity and luck watch your clan for a thousand years!"

Brutus interjects immediately following the Anucdian formal greeting, "I've read a lot about the Battle of Stillicidum, sir! I wrote a case study on the tactics you used to secure the bridge and position, and I hate writing case studies! Hell, I even got my brother to locate a transcript of the little mid-battle speech you made! I think it's great-" A cough from Bourgeois. Brutus pauses for a second, grins sheepishly and continues with a more formal approach as he offers his hand, "Most honoured to meet you, sir."

Bourgeois smiles indulgently, "I apologize for that little outburst. My eldest grandson is a military man true and through, and he hasn't quite mastered formal protocol yet. Needless to say, he's happy to see you. Bertrandu, stop being a bore and greet the man with your lovely wife."

Bertrandu awkwardly smiles as he and Ameila walk up to Nikos, Bertrandu quickly offering a few token pleasantries before heading off in search of some good wine. He hated these occasions, yet his status forced him to attend them. He usually got through these events by drinking copious amounts of good wine and eating the finest foods he could sample, and he figured the earlier he started this quest, the better.

Ameila smiles pleasantly, well aware that her husband's view on these things was well known in the upper circles, and if not exactly liked by many aristocrats, it was tolerated. She wasn't sure if Nikos was a tolerant man, however, so she stayed silent, letting Bourgeois handle the formal talking. She'd have plenty of time to talk later and see how she could turn tonight into an advantage while having some fun.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 08:39:13 pm »
The Blacks didn't arrive immediately, preferring to give the excuse that their distance from Cunae often caused them to arrive later to parties. In truth, few of them had a taste for such wastes of time and resources, and always tried to arrive late. The only reason they attended such things was, as Regulus had explained to Anyah before entering the city walls, "It's our generational, familial, and martial duty to meet with the nobility regularly. A duty is a duty, even if one despises it."

Despite their late arrival, they were noticeable in that they always entered the parties in a formation, and marching to a cadence set by Regulus before entering Cunae itself. This was purposefully designed to intimidate the snobby nobles. This time, Regulus was leading a kind of house-shaped formation, Gangri and Darian marching side by side behind him, and Marcus at the rear with Anyah, whom had begged Regulus to let her come to the party. All four of the men were dressed in their military armor, with Marcus even pulling out his old armor for the occasion. Anyah was dressed in light clothing, more akin to a young boy's cloths than a young girl's dress.

As the black-haired, blue-eyed group advanced into the party, nobles quickly made way, some showing the usual signs of disgust for the Blacks, despite the long history of the Clan's defense of Cunae. Some of the female nobles, however, found Darian particularly interesting. Darian tried to ignore such looks, but he knew full well that he needed a wife already, still a bachelor at the age of 27. The group paused and disassembled their formation a few yards from Nikos, trying not to intrude on the man's conversation with the Anucdians, but also making their presence distinctly known.

As Anyah seemed to constantly look around, highly observant of the nobles, swiveling her head like mad back and forth, causing Regulus to finally say, "Take in the 'noble' way, Anyah. See their wastefulness for what it is. I suppose it is about time you witnessed it for yourself." Anyah made a thoughtful sound before saying, "They don't seem to be very wasteful and frivolous yet, sir." Regulus smiled and chuckled a little before saying, "Oh, they're never bad at first. Just wait for the party to go on, when they all get drunk. Then they become entertaining." Anyah nodded to indicate she understood.

Meanwhile, Gangri and Marcus were poking fun at Darian again, pointing at various noblewomen and daring him to approach them. He refused each by flatly saying, "No, brothers. Stop already." Gangri laughed and looked around the place before finally teasingly saying, "I'm three years younger than you, brother, and yet I have a one year old already. Three years younger, and I have a greater chance of becoming Clan Patriarch than you!" Marcus lightly punched the 24 year old in the arm, "Shut it Gangri, you know I've already got three children. You better start giving your wife more children or else those dreams of Patriarch will never materialize. Of course, you have to beat Perith and I. I'm betting she'll be pregnant again soon." Gangri rolled his eyes, but he and Marcus soon returned to picking on Darian together.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 11:02:03 pm »
Nikos grabbed Bourgeois's hand and gave it a solid pump as his way of greeting. "It is an honor to meet you Mr. Anucdian," Nikos said, looking Bourgeois right in the eye. When Brutus flared up, Nikos broke into a wide grin. It was always nice to be noticed, but Nikos found his enthusiasm for the Battle of Stillicidum somewhat comical.

"It's always nice to have an admirer," Nikos said, directing the comment at Brutus. "We'll have to sit down and talk some time. If you are truly interested in the military, perhaps I can assist you with getting in. I've still got connections, which are always nice to have." When Bertrandu and Ameila made their way up to Nikos, he quickly shook with Bertrandu and kissed Ameila's hand.

"It is a pleasure meeting you both," Nikos said, "but please, enjoy my food and drink my wine! It has been specially imported so have your fill. And then have some more!" With that Nikos edged away from the Anucdian family and made his way to the newly arrived Black family. There was something a little bit different about this clan. They were very organized, almost like a military group and the fact that they preferred to have their land outside the walls of Cunae was different. They were slightly unsettling the way they stared at everything. Either way, they were nobles and had to be treated as such. And because they had decided to show up to Nikos' party, he had to welcome them.

"Greetings Black clan, glad to see you could make it," Nikos walked straight up to Regulus and looked him in the eyes as he gave the man's hand a quick pump. Nikos had met some of the Black family members on several occasions because of their standing with the military. This wasn't the first time that he had crossed paths with them.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 07:12:32 am »
Lyra and Teran arrived just moments after the clan Black.  Quickly surveying the scene, Lyra made her way in the direction of the host, long brown hair and lavender gown flowing behind her as her bright green eyes shone in the torchlight.  Her younger brother followed closely behind her.  She was always more confident than him in environments such as these and he was happy to let her lead.

As they approached Nikos, they waited for him to finish with the Black clan before introducing themselves.  Seeing the opportunity, Lyra stepped forward as Teran awaited his turn with his hands clasped calmly behind his back.  "Good evening to you mi'lord Verdo." Lyra said softly with a curtsey.  "I am Lyra Kraetus, and wish to thank you for your invitations to this lovely party.  My mother and father regretfully are out of the city currently dealing with affairs at one of our estates and send their regards."

Her own introduction complete, she stepped aside and gestured for her brother to step forward.  "May I introduce to you my brother, Teran.  He is currently in line to succeed our father as the patriarch of house Kraetus."  Taking his cue, Teran approached their host.  "It is a pleasure to meet you good sir." he said with a wide smile and short bow before offering his hand forward.  "I've heard a great deal about your work in the military.  I must say I am honoured to meet one with such a reputation as yourself."
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 09:54:04 am »
It didn't happen often, but every once and a while Nikos was caught off guard and lost the ability to speak. This just so happened to be the case when Lyra Kraetus walked up to him. He couldn't help but stare at her as she introduced her brother.

"Pleasure meeting you," he finally managed to say, bowing in the direction of Lyra and giving Teran a quick handshake. "I am sorry to hear that your parents could not make it, but I am glad that you were able to. Make yourself at home. There is plenty of food and wine available for everyone!" Nikos said with a laugh. "And if I'm not mistaken, the music should start shortly. There will be plenty of dancing and singing. It should make for a fun night."

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 12:08:26 pm »
As Nikos approached, Regulus returned Verdo's greeting and then all of the Blacks immediately performed the customary Cuneaic salute. However, before Regulus could say particularly anything, the Kraeti approached Nikos. Regulus motioned that Gangri, Darian, and Marcus may do as they wish, since they'd been slowing moving away from Regulus and Anyah. Gangri and Marcus shortly hauled Darian away to flaunt him to some of the noblewomen, and continue to tease the man.

Regulus eyed Teran and Lyra, then carefully watched Nikos to see the man's reaction to this other nobles. The older man smiled lightly when he noticed Nikos' inability to speak for a moment, and let Verdo finish talking before he approached and decided to have a bit of fun with Nikos, "Quite the celebrity, Verdo. I might even say you attract some people towards you. Or maybe other people pull you towards them. In any case, it has been good to meet you. I hope you do well in the military, Darian and Gangri will probably get to know you well." Anyah quietly approached from Regulus' side and looked at Lyra. She sighed slightly and accidentally said what she was thinking, "She's very pretty, wish I was pretty like that..." Regulus rolled his eyes, "Self-confidence, Anyah. You've still got a few years before you become more womanly." Anyah shrugged but her mood seemed lightened by what Regulus said.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 12:50:34 pm »
"I should hope that I draw people towards me. This is my party after all," Nikos said with a smile as Regulus made his way over to him. "But I must play the gracious host and greet everyone as they approach. I must apologize for cutting our discussion short, and I must warn you that I may have to do so again soon. I sent out many invites to this party, but I am still unsure of who exactly will show up and when," Nikos eyed Regulus as he said this.

"And Darian, yes I have met him on several occasions. He seems to be doing well for himself. He is quite popular among the military folk that I deal with. But I have not had the honor of meeting Gangri. Did you say that he was in the military? I am just assuming this because your family seems to devote itself to combat." Nikos looked at Anyah as she approached, smiling slightly at the comment she made. "You'll be a beautiful lady, no doubt," he said to the girl, but as he did so he turned to look back at Lyra.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 01:04:28 pm »
Regulus nodded, "We devote ourselves to many things, mostly the art of defending Cunae and conquering its enemies. Gangri is just a few ranks below Darian, you'll meet him soon enough, he was here a few minutes ago. In any case, suppose it's best to you leave you be then. Enjoy the stress of being a host." Regulus looked over at Teran for a moment, "I heard you're a good swordsman. You're free to stop by our little 'fort' anytime and train or spar or eat with any of us, assuming we're not doing anything else. Come along Anyah, we have little else to do here." Anyah followed Regulus away towards the edge of the party, where Regulus began pointing out the various nobles by memory so that she could begin to understand the political situation of Cunae.

Meanwhile, Marcus and Gangri continued to mock Darian, constantly trying to introduce him to various noblewomen who often found their antics "below" the noblewomen. Eventually, the trio settled down and stood together near a wall, mostly away from the party, as Marcus said, "Brother, you'll never get a woman if you don't ante up." Darian growled a little before sighing, "True. I'm supposed to be a stone-cold killer and yet I'm uncomfortable approaching these women." Gangri patted Darian's shoulder, "Don't worry, brother, we're just messing with you. You'll meet the right one eventually... maybe when you're sixty." Marcus and Gangri immediately chuckled to themselves, while Darian merely rolled his eyes and crossed his arms, looking out into the party.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 01:32:31 pm »
Nikos slowly drifted towards the steps, leaving his guests to mull around the wading pool where the food and drinks were setup. He stopped by the wine table and took a glass. Making sure that no one was looking he downed it in one gulp and left the glass to be cleaned by his slaves.

"One and done," he mumbled to himself. It was good wine though, and his body ached for more. Nikos moved away from the table before he could grab another glass and headed over to where the band of musicians had setup. He got the attention of their leader and nodded his head to signal that they could begin playing. Within several minutes there was a nice melody wafting across the courtyard, giving the guests something to listen to if they weren't in the middle of a conversation with others.

The sun was slowly setting, but to counter this Nikos had ordered that a large number of paper lanterns be strung around the courtyard to provide some dim illumination. It created a relaxed mood that allowed the guests to ease into the party. When Nikos was sure that all of the lanterns had been lit and that the food was plentiful, he made his way back into the crowd to mingle with those present.

Offline Little

• I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 01:48:13 pm »
Brutus eases his way through the crowd, easily joking and conversing with the nobles he passed as he slowly made his way towards Nikos. Finding Nikos on the rim of the part and beginning to work his way back in, he smiles. People were always so nervous about these things. Nikos looked like he should have a drink or two and relax a bit, but he looked pretty tense. Maybe he didn't need questioning about bloodshed right now, killing men was never a pleasant buisness, even if it was for the good of Cunae. He wasn't squeamish or anything, it just didn't feel appropriate to bring up the tactics he had used to lead their enemies to screaming, bloody, deaths. Noticing a group of Blacks slouching at the rim of the party, keeping to themselves, he grins. Brutus turns his head for a moment as he says to his small circle of armed friends, "Somebody go grab a bottle or two of wine, already! Isn't a party without some wine!"

Brutus waits for a moment as liquor was retrieved, then sets off toward the three figures with a bottle of wine in his hand. As he gets close, he says with a smile, "Hello, fellow sirs! Looking for a bit of company?"

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 02:01:55 pm »
Darian noticed Brutus coming and muttered to Marcus and Gangri, "Don't look now but the Anutdian approaches." Almost immediately, they all put on fake smiles, somewhat tolerant of the belligerent man but wary of him and his friends. They all shrugged as Brutus approached, Gangri saying, "Doesn't matter to us." Inwardly, however, they all were thinking they'd prefer to be left alone than converse Brutus. Though, the man could be entertaining at times, so they held their tongues.