Author Topic: Cunae ((Planning and sign-ups)) -OLD THREAD-  (Read 15435 times)

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
Re: Cunae ((Planning and sign-ups)) -Yet another civ game by Huckbuck-
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2010, 05:57:23 pm »
Ah whatever. Feel flattered that I'm mimicking your format then. :P
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2010, 06:01:52 pm »
How do the game mechanics work, exactly?  :)
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2010, 06:19:08 pm »
232 points left but my family is almost done.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 06:25:40 pm by Bagder Man 22 »
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2010, 06:29:19 pm »
Why don't you stop telling us and just do all of them already. And not everyone is stretching the points as far as they'll go.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2010, 06:30:47 pm »
I am making sure I don't forget.
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2010, 06:31:22 pm »
Little's Family.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 06:37:28 pm by Brandonazz »

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010, 07:06:25 pm »
Another question that has come up in discussion within IRC and elsewhere.

If and when there is a marriage between families, how will control of the characters be determined? There is the question of whether or not a person retains control over the wife after the marriage (assuming that the woman adopts the male last name and would then technically be a part of the males family, or whether the person retains control of that character).

The major problem that we've come across in the discussion is who controls the children from a marriage of this type? There are several solutions that we've come up with:
Option 1
The male retains control over all of the children cutting out any complicated issues on determining who controls what. These children carry the name of the father (assumption) and should therefore be a part of that family.
The problem with this choice is that the male would be very valuable to have while the females would be useful only to have babies for a different family, which isn't optimal. Too much power for the males (although this would be drawing off of historical precedent).

Option 2
Flip a coin to determine who controls what. This gambles that a marriage will turn out 50/50 results from the marriage, making it a bit more useful to have the women of your family marry into another family.
The problem with this is that it would soon get hectic. Children under the control of one person would be bearing the last name of a different family. Sabotage of the family name would be easy, while anything worthwhile accomplished from this would be under a different family name.

Option 3
I thought this one would be interesting, but much more complicated to determine. Basically, for the first 10 years of any child's life, the mother and father compete for control over the child, trying to influence them in a certain direction. Based off of RPing and other such fiddle faddle, this would determine who controls that character. At age 10 there would be a little ceremony announcing which player takes control of the child.
Still the same problem with option 2. It would introduce the idea of sabotaging a different family name from the inside, but it still creates confusion among the group as to who controls what. You could no longer base this off of their last name.

Another issue that we've already realized is that this game will expand at a very fast rate. Everyone will want to propagate children so that they have more pieces on the field. And since each family already has a large base from which to start, this huge number of characters will make the game hectic and too much to take in.

I suggest that maybe the 1000 point limit be reduced drastically (although this is easy enough for me to say since I only control 1 character).

Another solution could be that maybe each person is limited in the number of characters they can control at any one time. They would have to be under the name of the family name they started. This would limit the confusion of having roughly 15 characters that each person has to control after only 2 turns of gameplay.

Just my thoughts.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2010, 07:22:52 pm »
I would imagine each spouse is still controled by their origonal player, even if it means they're living with a new family.  The father should have control of the children, but should bear in mind that they would also have allegiances to the other family.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2010, 07:24:32 pm »
And another thing!

How is death going to be decided in a game like this? Obviously assassination and other such techniques of political maneuvering would be required in a game like this, so how would something like this be determined? Would there be specific things that would make the odds of a successful assassination higher? What would be required to setup an assassination?

Also, how are the seats of the Senate determined? Is this popular election? How are the elections determined? For the sake of the game, will there be at least one seat for each family? Is it possible to have more than one family member allowed in the Senate?

One other thing I was thinking about. Will there be any deterrent to having people marry outside of the aristocracy? Will it even be allowed? Assuming that it is, would there be some indicator to 'pure' blood besides the other aristocrats simply looking down on this particular family?

Sorry for the load of questions, these are just things that are coming up in my head that I think are important to the game.

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2010, 08:06:57 pm »
Little's Family.
[Cool family tree here!]

Thanks, Brandon! It looks really good, what did you use to make it? :)
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2010, 08:23:23 pm »
Family Tree Maker 2010, which is a really terrible program. I'm trying to find something better.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2010, 01:28:57 am »
I have been reading through all this and really like how this is going. I loved AtoC so I plan to add my own family to the game as soon as I can. I am just sad that I did not see this thread sooner.

If and when there is a marriage between families, how will control of the characters be determined? There is the question of whether or not a person retains control over the wife after the marriage (assuming that the woman adopts the male last name and would then technically be a part of the males family, or whether the person retains control of that character).

The major problem that we've come across in the discussion is who controls the children from a marriage of this type? There are several solutions that we've come up with:
Option 1
The male retains control over all of the children cutting out any complicated issues on determining who controls what. These children carry the name of the father (assumption) and should therefore be a part of that family.
The problem with this choice is that the male would be very valuable to have while the females would be useful only to have babies for a different family, which isn't optimal. Too much power for the males (although this would be drawing off of historical precedent).

I am not sure if this will help this game but when I was playing the Sims 2 in a caveman style by myself (rather than in a thread) I would have it where females could be "traded" for a female from another unseen tribe. Thus you needed to have both a son and a daughter so your son could get a wife. I think such a rule could possibly work for this game where you get to keep all your sons but can marry off your daughters to other families where they get control of your daughter. Likewise any daughter you get from another family becomes yours.

Just an idea.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 01:42:49 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2010, 03:55:42 am »
Wow, you posted a lot while I was sleeping!  :o

Quick question.

How exactly will this game run? I know that in the last one we would write up a large RP and you would have to infer from our writings what it was that we wanted done (or were trying to get done). At the same time we would write out 'secret' orders that we wouldn't necessarily want the other people to see and hope that they were successful as well. Is that true for this game as well, or will we write a PM with our general 'wants' for the family?

I feel like both should be included, and that only those things sufficiently RPed about should be successful. I think that would be an interesting mechanic, so that if you want something done you would have to really go after it.

An example would be that you want to establish a stronger relationship between your family and another family, so you would have to RP some sort of party or dinner where the two families were interacting with each other. Then the success of this stronger relationship would be judged on whether or not the part went well or if there was a good discussion going between the family's different members. Just an idea.

Another thing that I'm a little concerned about is the amount of characters involved in this. It makes sense to have large families with great influence, but I'm just scared from the RP point of view. At this point, everyone will have to know almost every character that another person controls and their general quirks in order to be successful at RPing. And after just a couple of years, there will probably be more babies and more characters to have to deal with as they come of age. This could quickly get very hectic and almost chaotic with the sheer number of characters to deal with.

Just some of my thoughts.

It will indeed be more RPish than AToC, something I tried to make clear in the first post. AToC was a game with RP sessions, Cunae is an RP judged by a GM and with "game mechanics". Such a thing as "Antonious tries to marry Daliha" is not allowed and will be ignored.

You must remember that people WILL die, how many we can not be sure about, but exponential growing isn't something I would be too conserned about. Another thing I planned is that the player does not have full controll over children (under 16), meaning you can say "One day Antonius woke Gilius up early. His face was grave as he said 'Come my son, today is the day.' Gilius got up and dressed and slowly dragged himself after his father.". This indicates an action, that is ok. What you are restricted from is RPing the feelings of the children, which plays into what you asked later on.  This is to prevent some from RPing their children as perfect successors of their family, now I decide their personality based on how they have been raised nad a few other factors.

Option 1

Option 2
Flip a coin to determine who controls what. This gambles that a marriage will turn out 50/50 results from the marriage, making it a bit more useful to have the women of your family marry into another family.
The problem with this is that it would soon get hectic. Children under the control of one person would be bearing the last name of a different family. Sabotage of the family name would be easy, while anything worthwhile accomplished from this would be under a different family name.

Option 3
I thought this one would be interesting, but much more complicated to determine. Basically, for the first 10 years of any child's life, the mother and father compete for control over the child, trying to influence them in a certain direction. Based off of RPing and other such fiddle faddle, this would determine who controls that character. At age 10 there would be a little ceremony announcing which player takes control of the child.
Still the same problem with option 2. It would introduce the idea of sabotaging a different family name from the inside, but it still creates confusion among the group as to who controls what. You could no longer base this off of their last name.

Another issue that we've already realized is that this game will expand at a very fast rate. Everyone will want to propagate children so that they have more pieces on the field. And since each family already has a large base from which to start, this huge number of characters will make the game hectic and too much to take in.

I suggest that maybe the 1000 point limit be reduced drastically (although this is easy enough for me to say since I only control 1 character).

Another solution could be that maybe each person is limited in the number of characters they can control at any one time. They would have to be under the name of the family name they started. This would limit the confusion of having roughly 15 characters that each person has to control after only 2 turns of gameplay.

Just my thoughts.

Interesting. I have not anything sat in stone for this yet, but I plan on a combination of point 1 and point 3 and another point. Sure there is mysogyny in Cunae, but the classism and elitism is even worse. If you have a daughter and oyur familiy is considered among the finest in the city and she marries a man of lower birth most would think that he taking her last name would be the right thing to do.  

So we have two ways to go, your point 1 and this class thing, both I and you players will have to adjust to either or both of these considering the situation. Imagine if you Josasa, had your only member marry a woman of higher birth, following the rules strict would make you "loose" the game. In a case like this I'd probably advise bending the rules a bit and write up some RP about why the wife takes your last name for the sake of the game and good fun. The RP goes before the game mechanics.

And another thing!

How is death going to be decided in a game like this? Obviously assassination and other such techniques of political maneuvering would be required in a game like this, so how would something like this be determined? Would there be specific things that would make the odds of a successful assassination higher? What would be required to setup an assassination?

Also, how are the seats of the Senate determined? Is this popular election? How are the elections determined? For the sake of the game, will there be at least one seat for each family? Is it possible to have more than one family member allowed in the Senate?

One other thing I was thinking about. Will there be any deterrent to having people marry outside of the aristocracy? Will it even be allowed? Assuming that it is, would there be some indicator to 'pure' blood besides the other aristocrats simply looking down on this particular family?

Sorry for the load of questions, these are just things that are coming up in my head that I think are important to the game.

Assassination is something that mainly would be performed by another family, the risk of being assassinated by a pure NPC conspiracy is quite small in most cases. And yes, the risk of being assassinated is affected by many things, how people consider you, how many body guards you have etc.

I will also have dicerolls for random deaths and diseases just like in AToC (though I do not think we got any random deaths, did we?), and I am going to use the war mechanics that I planned for AToC (but never got to use) if it becomes necessary.

I plan to have more seats than families so that there is more rivalty. Everyone will begin with at least 1 seat as you say, for the sake of the game. Each senator sits for 4 years, so some will begin with having allready been a senator for 4 years. He may be re-ellected at any time though.

The common idea is that the brightest men of the most influential, finest and richest families are supposed to make up the senate, it is decided who replaces the ones that have been seated their 4 year period by a senate vote though. If the senate ellects people that should not be in the senate or people that really havfe the influence to be there aren't ellected it can have dire results and will surely cause conflict. This means that one family can take complete controll over the senate, but that family will not be in high regards among the rest of the families or the other people inside the walls (in most cases) and will probably not be in controll for long.

You can have your family members marry anyone, but yes, doing so might give them a bad reputation or even have them murdered for dishonouring the aristocracy of Cunae. I am not sure what you mean about an indicator for pure blood though.

@Hydro: That's how hunter and gatherers did it, I haven't heard anything about a system like that in ancient Rome or Greece.

@Little I will try to get a large post finnished today explaining the basic game mechanics.

EDIT: Oh and nice work there Brandon, family trees would be quite useful. I considered making them as I did in AToC, but drawing every family member would take to much time.
@davidramnero

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2010, 05:29:34 am »

I know Kylis is a guy, but this took me an hour to do and I only caught the mistake just now. That program is literally the worst piece of software I have ever worked with, ever.

Unfortunately, my searching yields no program that's much better.
I'm pretty certain that they make these on the assumption that the only people buying them will be old people that wouldn't be able to use such a program anyway.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2010, 06:02:21 am »
Unfortunately, my searching yields no program that's much better.
I'm pretty certain that they make these on the assumption that the only people buying them will be old people that wouldn't be able to use such a program anyway.

Well VUE works really well for my Sagan 4 taxonomy cladograms. I would think it could do family trees just as well. Also its free to download so everyone could make their own family trees. Also its super easy to use. Its great for flow charts, tech trees, etc.

http://vue.tufts.edu/

I plan to make my own family tree using VUE once I post my stuff.

EDIT: Here is a tech tree I made for my tribe in Huckbuck's AtoC.

This gives you an example of what it can do. You can also add pictures to the bubbles.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 06:09:47 am by Hydromancerx »