Author Topic: GD's comics  (Read 10495 times)

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
GD's comics
« on: July 01, 2010, 01:28:52 am »
Last year I took an art class that involved making comics. One of the tasks was to make your own comic or comics. If you made just one, it should be at least 10 pages long. Mine ended up being 15 pages. I based it on a character that I planned to make the sidekick in some other comic that I never ended up doing. I thought that the other comic would be too long for this particular assignment, so instead I made a story about Mr. Horkkanen. I can't come up with a good name for the translation at this time, so I'll just use the original Finnish name for now. (Seeing that I made this for school, I of course wrote it in my native language originally.)

I sketched these on A4 paper and then inked them with pens. Made a lot of mistakes and it took me forever to get it done. Towards the end it got easier, though, I think.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
Re: GD's comics
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 01:38:45 am »
Page 14, first two panels: Cutest. Thing. Ever.

Seriously, I enjoyed reading that comic. It's pretty cool.
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 01:46:50 am »
I liked it too.

Now you should totally do a sequel. Preferably where they team up to fight crime. >_>
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 03:56:55 am »
I enjoyed that. Simple but interesting.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 04:54:39 am »
It is a good introduction and leave someone wanting for more. It has nice art. I think you really pulled off the paneling to. Very easy to follow. I hate when people make confusing panels. This of course extends to the speech, though and monologue bubbles to.

The only thing that might be made different would maybe have a bit more action or conflict that captures readers. That is always a hard part to solve however. Why some put the introduction of characters a bit in to the series in a flashback or smiler. A other thing that could also work to hock reader in a bit is leave a bit more mystery. Of course that only matter if one wants to make a follow up and grab the attrition of the readers form start. Slow starts are not the same as bad starts. ;)
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Lush City

• Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 05:52:57 am »
Nice Calvin and Hobs-esque musing on the universe. The shifting between cordial and scary face on the Pumpkin man is nice. It's rather tragic, but in a melancholy sort of way; kind of like taking ether. The only thing I would change is their names. I would prefer them to go unnamed for the rest of the run (if there is such a run.) It is a very good and nice comic Mr. Distance.)

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 08:38:41 am »
That was really good! Great little short story, good art and excellent panel/dialogue construction flow. Nice going!

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 08:53:00 am »
That comic was really good!

Have you ever thought about doing a webcomic?

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 05:00:59 pm »
This is splendid! I agree that the only thing I didn't like was the fact that you gave them names at the end. But this would make a good webcomic. And a good comic book.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 06:34:28 pm »
Awesome, GD.  I like how the scarecrow guy keeps going from sympathetic to terrifying.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 09:08:30 pm »
That was very well done!
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 05:32:14 am »
I agree that the only thing I didn't like was the fact that you gave them names at the end.

Well, I had come up with names for them early in the character designing progress, and I thought it would be a shame to leave them unused. I'm still thinking about what the names should be in the English version, though, if I'm going to use them in the future. I might change them later. Anyway, towards the end of the comic I realised the characters' names hadn't been introduced to the audience yet, so I figured that if they were moving in together, they'd probably want to know each other's names at that point. But perhaps I'm wrong and it would have been cooler if they didn't even know such things as "names" existed or wouldn't have at least cared about such things. After all, they used to be lifeless and most likely nameless objects. I think Viglu, however, would have had a name even before he came to life, seeing that he used to be some child's favourite doll. I'm thinking that the creatures would have had some kind of a pre-conciousness even before they were brought to life, so Viglu might be able to remember what his beloved "master" used to call him. Horkkanen, however, would have come up with his name on his own, probably after he heard other people talking to each other by names. He would think a name would make his existence more acceptable, as if he belonged to this world now that he had a name. Though perhaps I made a mistake phrasing Horkkanen's question as "What is your name?" instead of "Do you have name?", for example. Because if he used to not have a name, it would make more sense that he doesn't automatically assume that everyone has a name.

Anyway, I think that what the names are isn't really as important as the fact they told each other their names, meaning that they were ready to get to know each other more. Flisch suggested that I could have even ended it after Horkkanen's question, before the characters told each other their names.

But it is what it is and I'm not going to change it now. Well, except for maybe the names, to make them sound better for an English audience. If anyone's got any suggestions, that'd be great.

In other news, I have indeed considered continuing this as a webcomic. I have thought quite a bit about the future plotlines, but I'm not sure if I'm ever going to find the time to make such large updates again. We'll see.

Offline Lush City

• Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 05:51:27 am »
Try to make it this big existentialist humour thing. All black and white and H.G. Wells.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 05:59:21 am »
At the risk of repeating everybody else, great comic! Good story, nice art (but that was to be expected from you :))

How long did it take you to make?

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 06:13:15 am »
Well, it was in the planning stages for about 3 months, during which time I finalised the character designs and practised drawing the characters with different expressions and poses. I also practised drawing the environments somewhat and made a very rough sketch of what each page should look like and what the characters should be saying. After that I started drawing the actual version in pencil, which took me a few of weeks on Christmas vacation. And finally the inking took about a week. And that was me spending the most of each day working on the comic (except in the early planning stages, when I drew mostly on the weekends). So, with a busy school schedule it would take a long while before I could update this comic, if I were to continue it the same way as before.