Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  (Read 6649 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 01:58:46 pm »
This is the first movie that I have ever gone to where I seriously considered taking a nap.

I take it you've never seen Benjamin Button then?  :P
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 03:04:22 pm »
This is the first movie that I have ever gone to where I seriously considered taking a nap.

I take it you've never seen Benjamin Button then?  :P
Nope. Probably never will. Last thing I liked Brad Pitt in was Se7en.

-Lego

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 03:57:58 pm »
I liked it. Far better than 6 (though that's not hard since 6 was basically the secret life of the wizarding teenager aka crap).

Did a great job of sticking to the book. Though it was unfortunate that they cut wormtail's sacrifice and Dudley's apology to Harry.

The long scenes were necessary for establishing the emotions of the characters. Its a technique comparable to that used in the Grapes of Wrath novel (known to many as the "Turtle scene") which featured a 2 page long description of a turtle walking across a road, intended as a visual metaphor for the dust bowl/great depression. I didn't have a problem with it, probably since I have a longer attention span than most, and get irritated with unnecessarily fast paced movies *cough* Transformers 2 aka WTF IS GOING ON? Everyone's talking so fast I can barely understand them and the spinning camera angles make me dizzy and nauseous!*cough*

As for Watson's acting, it should be noted that Hermione as a character is supposed to be non expressive to a degree. I know several people like this; they bottle things up and don't talk with others when they have problems. Its not being emo. Emo is when people whine incessantly about things that don't matter (aka Emokin Skywalker in Episodes 2 and three). Hermione is just anal retentive, and, taking pride in organization and keeping a level head in difficult situations, is very unlikely to talk about any problems she might have, lest she shatter her facade of always knowing what to do.

The real problem is that her character was poorly developed in the last three films from a directing standpoint (since Yates is about as good at directing emotional reality as George Lucas), so unless you've read the books, you'd be completely lost.

Regarding the trailers, did anyone else notice that the Chronicles of Narnia trailer totally ripped its music from the "fight for the lost" ME 2 trailer?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjOEmHEd2XM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjOEmHEd2XM</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf9Xl84b9Wo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf9Xl84b9Wo</a>

Start at 1:32 and 1:21, respectively.

I'm no fan of Chronicles of Narnia. Read several of the books. Never got the appeal. Its just one generic mythological cliche with biblical-tie ins after another. The movies are worse, with the overtly heavily accented, generically British child "acting". I think what turned me off the most to the series was the obsession everyone in the books seems to have with royalty and glory. It got old really fast for me.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 04:25:26 pm by Logan Felipe »
Spore! Star Wars! Dinosaurs!
Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 03:32:14 am »
Yeah, it's this (from 1:12).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISzK6e237II" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISzK6e237II</a>

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 01:05:55 pm »

Did a great job of sticking to the book. Though it was unfortunate that they cut wormtail's sacrifice and Dudley's apology to Harry.

The long scenes were necessary for establishing the emotions of the characters. Its a technique comparable to that used in the Grapes of Wrath novel (known to many as the "Turtle scene") which featured a 2 page long description of a turtle walking across a road, intended as a visual metaphor for the dust bowl/great depression. I didn't have a problem with it, probably since I have a longer attention span than most, and get irritated with unnecessarily fast paced movies *cough* Transformers 2 aka WTF IS GOING ON? Everyone's talking so fast I can barely understand them and the spinning camera angles make me dizzy and nauseous!*cough*

In my opinion they could have done a better job with the flow of the movie and the story by using that time to keep the story moving. It was all fits and starts. A doomish slow beginning followed by a crazy chase seen, then back to slow and plodding, then another chaos scene... etc... Part of the problem was also that this is a setup movie for part 2. Since my opinion is not tainted by having read the books, from my point of view there was little to no appreciable improvement in Harry, Heirmoany, or Ron's character in this movie. The only conflict was a forced effect of a plot device which was endless telegraphed with an annoying background noise.

Harry: "Why me. I should just quit. Too many people have died"
Heirmoany: "No you muss'ent."
Ron: "Blimey Harry, Dur."
Harry, "OK"

You end up spending two and a half hours sitting in the theater waiting for something to happen and you ultimately discover it is the credits.

-Lego

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 02:24:25 pm »
I saw it the other day thought it was alright. It is a slow movie, but that's ok. I didn't mind the "barren long shots of UK countryside," I thought they were much more tolerable then the Helicopter fly over shots from the LofR:FotR.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures