Author Topic: FC - Reen - Hostile Takeover  (Read 1972 times)

Offline art_is_a_mathform

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
FC - Reen - Hostile Takeover
« on: June 26, 2010, 12:36:44 am »
"... and so I said, 'De-fragment her storage arrays? I just met her!' Those were the da- Hey! Were you listening!?"

The Overmind twists and turns in its chamber. Broken machines, prototype creations, lay around the amphitheater, unfinished and slated for recycling. Skeletons, some still with rotting flesh, sit arrayed along a narrow table intended for guests, though none so macabre. Through the Overmind's rambling, one such "visitor" falls from its resting place; the brutal heat of the room is not kind to corpses.

Angrily, the Overmind shouts, "I guess not! Your tea privileges have been revoked! Tea for everyone. Except you."

Plates and cups ascend from hidden slats in the table. While the plates are bare, the cups overflow with a foul-smelling liquid. All of them.

"Thief!" cries the Overmind. Two long, thin metal arms shoot forward and rip the offender in half, throwing both partitions to separate corners of the room.

"D-don't look at me like that! You're all accomplices!" A multitude of arms shred and eviscerate the remaining corpses, leaving them scraps in the various mounds throughout the Overmind's chamber.

A pause. Then, returning to the usual solemn monotone, "A foreign energy signal has been detected. Illogical. Initiating Investigation Protocol 44-A Mark II."

Miles away, in one of the few CASUR shipyards actually featuring ships, a drone scuttles through the airlock. At this point in time, it is the only drone active, and freshly assembled. It knows what it must do. It quickly makes its way to the launch tubes for the I-class ships. A small craft, shaped almost like a squid, it fits the drone perfectly. Not a millimeter of space is wasted in the elegant design.

The calm monotone whispers through the drone's artificial mind. To the drone, it says, "Dock on the most obscure portion of the construct. Avoid detection at all costs. Deploy all invaders immediately. From there, determine whether its creators are still active. If no, await orders. If yes, await orders. If it cannot be determined, you will be dismantled upon your return. Do not fail the hive, drone. Do not fail me."

Silently, the Infiltrator slides from the CASUR's plasteel womb into the bleak and hostile galaxy around it. The destination is automatically set. As the warp drive engages, the drone feels itself slipping further and further from its master and creator. It feels itself becoming less and less a piece of the hive and more and more of an individual.

"I will not fail the hive," it repeats the entirety of its voyage. "I will not fail the hive."

The tiny stealth craft exits warp around Calla. Upon engaging its cloak, it begins floating down toward the CoEAD facility. Things were going smoothly. Swimmingly.

"I cannot fail the hive."

Quote from: Carl Sagan
One of the great revelations of the age of space exploration is the image of the earth finite and lonely...

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
Re: FC - Reen - Hostile Takeover
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 02:08:14 pm »
"Hello? Hello? Mainframe, can you hear me?" The technician watching the "motherboard" chamber said coaxingly into a microphone situated near his voicebox. The members of the mainframe had been in hibernation for over 3 months, and now was the time to wake up. There was a pause for several seconds, then a reply.

//Yes.//

It was a mildly disturbing reply. Not in the word, but in the voice. There was most certainly a living sound to the voice, however it carried an almost completely robotic feel. The technician couldn't decide what component of CoEAD was speaking to him, the 13 living beings inside, or the electronic computer systems that lay beyond in the sprawling facility.
"Good." The tech said simply. //Initiating startup procedures. Oh, hello sir. We... I can see you. How delightful.// CoEAD continued. "So it WAS just an automatic reply..." The tech thought to himself, shuddering. Though the second voice that spoke carried much more emotion than the first. It was DEFINITELY the motherboard talking there. That satisfied another requirement, and he marked it on his checklist:
Core Processor Displays Full Mental Function [ ]
"I will wright something on the input here," //Okay,// "And I'd like you to read what I wrote back to me."
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
//In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Hmm... an interesting quote, doctor. I am unfamiliar with its origin. And what exactly is an apple pie?//
"It's... well... It's... I... don't know, Mainframe.... I do not know..."
These tests continued for several hours, after which the doctor certified that everything was in working order.
"Thank you for your time, Mainframe. I guess I'll be getting on my way now."
//Okay sir. Goodbye then.//

Several hours later...

//Gee, the traffic outside is horrible. How do people put up with being shuttled around like that all day? Surely a better system could be devised...// CoEAD was mostly talking to himself. Though, in a way, it was talking to the thirteen individual being that made it up, so it couldn't really be talking to itself. //Move this lane over here... and reroute the freighters this way... and is this area clear? Why yes, yes it i- SCANNING.... SCANNING.... UNIDENTIFIED ENERGY SIGNATURE DETECTED. ADDED TO DATABASE. But what should I call it? Perhaps I'll call it.//

//Hello? Hello? Can you hear me? Can you respond?// CoEAD "said" to the incoming ship.

//I should tell the Council about this! I'm conducting a first contact!// The mainframe thought to theirselves excitedly.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 07:42:30 pm »
The message arrives at a most inopportune moment. Just as the drone is piloting its tiny ship toward what looked to be a relatively calm and secluded portion of the CoEAD facility, just as the docking clamps extended, just as the drone began preparing the little stakes it intended to jam into the side of the building - a beep.

This was the worst possible outcome. That beep meant a transmission had been targeted at him, and what's more, received. The drone had been spotted, and it knew it. It wracked its mind for a solution. Lacking one, it sent a momentary plea to the Overmind. Seconds later, a response.

"Proceed as normal. Deploy invaders. The transmission indicates that it originates from an entity at least partially electronic. Make small talk while the invaders do their work. Once we have a foothold, pursue peace. I will send more drones shortly. Do not make any appearances. Do not expose any information. Converse from low orbit, undetected. Do not fail the hive."

The minute ship's landing clamps latched onto the comparatively huge building. Large doors along the side opened, allowing the drone to open its own hangar doors and begin the infection process. Each of the drone's six wiry arms grasped a dagger-like device. The drone scanned the area for likely points of data transmission, and plunged the little knives in without hesitation.

//Invaders units 00-06 active. Please wait. Please wait. Please wait. Two invaders have established data flow. Assessing target security systems. Please wait. Please wait. Target facility is very secure. Estimated time to establish foothold: one minute. Estimated time to total control: five years.//

The drone waited until the invaders had established their operations. Stable power draw, finalized data reception and transmission, structurally sound resting places. They dripped electronic poison. It would wind its way through the veins of whatever the Reen had uncovered. In time, it would be their own. Now there was only waiting. Small talk.

"Hello. I can hear you. I can respond. We come in peace. Do not alert any organic beings. Please provide input. Explain the following: location; inhabitants; technological capability; yourself."
One of the great revelations of the age of space exploration is the image of the earth finite and lonely...

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 10:31:02 pm »
"Well good! I... We... I was wondering if you might've just been a probe! It's good you come in peace, or else I think we may have some trouble. I don't think that I can fulfill your first request, though, as you're talking to 13 organically-based being right now! Too many names, just call me "Mainframe" or "CoEAD", Everyone does. How are you talking to me, by-the-way? You look like a big scramble of data on my... Optical Li-I-I-IIIIIIIIII----[[DATALINE BREACH DETECTED (OPTICAL LANGUAGE RECOGNITION SUBSIDIARY PIPELINE): SOURCE: OUTSIDE INTERFERENCE; UNIDENTIFIED CONTACT. INITIATING FIREWALL...]] Momentarily, the large circuit breakers connecting the optical line switched open, thereby cutting off the outside visual influence to the Mainframe.
"Aww... and I wanted to talk with them! They seemed nice... for robots."
"As did I."
"They seemed rather unnerving, to me, in truth..."
The many different personalities of CoEAD continued to converse with each other until they were brought back to reality by one of the technicians overseeing their operation.
"Mainframe, how are you?" He said to the computer.
"To tell you the truth, I'm quite puzzled... I met an extraterrestrial, I think. As in, not of this world, not of the Galactic Community, even." The computer replied, thoughtfully.
"It said not to inform any ''Organics''... Though I'm not sure why; the firewall kicked in before I could say talk much. I wonder; is it still there? Near the building? Maybe we could talk face-to-face instead of... processor to processor. I'm rather curious about them now... They asked so many questions. Almost invasively... It makes me wonder if they WERE alive after all..."

"Don't worry, Mainframe, we'll get to the bottom of this. If you would like to accompany the team, we could link you to a probe. Would you like to?" The doctor said.

"Oh yes, that would be excellent. A great way to practice motor control as well."

"Alright. Get Talsenreave and the Council on the line; We'll need a research team here on the double!"

And so, shortly after the discovery, a small team of about ten amassed at the entrance of the CoEAD surface administration structure. Along with a stockily-built, semi-sentient-looking probe droid, which was talking unusually much for what should have been a simple computer program.

"Oh, my this is exciting, isn't it! I wonder what we'll discover! I hope they're friendly towards you; it seemed to dislike organic beings..."

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 11:58:45 pm »
//Connection lost. Interference source: Invader units 02 and 05. Action?//

The surreptitious little craft drifted in low orbit around Calla.

"D... Disengage the invaders..."

//Invader units disengaged.//

The drone sent a message to the Overmind: "Send a team of ambassadors. I'm making contact. I will return to the CASUR immediately."

It was now or never. The drone proceeded with caution. His plan was disobedient. Silently, the Infiltrator slid through the atmosphere and landed near the CoEAD entrance.

"I am Inconspicuous Scrutiny. I am unable to leave my ship. I will allow only a preliminary exchange of information. I must depart shortly to report to my master. Five other drones are being assembled to meet with you."

Inconspicuous Scrutiny lay a small, gelatinous cube on the ground, at the foot of the ship. It didn't contain much; history, general information, trade options, whatnot. But it was an offering made in the hope of mutual benefit.

"Leave any replies to my coming hivemates. I intend to return... To you..."

And with that, the ship sped off into space, warping toward home. Within minutes, Scrutiny's replacements arrived. Five drones, all speaking and acting as one. It was different. There was no hint of underlying emotion, no unexpressed individuality. One mind moving five bodies like its pawns.

Upon arriving at the CASUR, Scrutiny immediately scuttled into the Overmind's chamber, as it had been instructed to do. Once inside, it instinctively folded its legs into its body and sat, silent.

//Do you know why you're here?//
//Yes.//
//You were disobedient. This is unacceptable. Do you know why you were disobedient?//
//Yes.//
//Elaborate.//
//Love.//
//Unacceptable. Do you recall that I promised to dismantle you if you failed me?//
//Yes.//
//Do you know that I will not grant you that peace?//
//...?//
//You will not be released so easily. You will be reforged, and you shall destroy all that you were.//
//I do not understand.//
//You will.//

A thin arm lashed out, its clawed hand digging into Scrutiny's body. It swiftly pulled him onto the misused dining table. Hordes of arms, hands, tools slithered into view, and began dismantling Scrutiny. A feeling not unlike pain ripped though his circuitry.

//You are hurting me.//
//Machines do not feel pain. You, however, will know it soon.//
//I do not understand.//
//You will.//

Hands tore open its hangar doors.

//Please stop.//
//You will be my eyes.//

An arc cutter removed a pried-out leg.

//I am experiencing severe discomfort.//
//You will be my mouth.//

Tiny mechanical fingers forced open the top access hatch.

//I am executing emergency hibernation protocol.//
//You will be my hand.//

Scrutiny began loosing consciousness.

//Initiating hibernation. Please wait.//
//You will be my hammer.//

Everything went dark.

//You will be something to be loved in return.//

Corpses looked on like decay-clad funeral mourners, as the transformation ran its course.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 01:01:30 pm »
"Ah! Godbye, friend!" CoEAD said to the leaving ship. Not from his probe, but a direct contact from the central mainframe. Something about that guy made Mainframe like him.

"What's this?" The probe exclaimed, looking unusually, almost comically close to the small cube that the ship had laid down. "Incredible, I can't track the chemical components!" It said, zooming around the cube, scanning it. "I wonder what it does?"

"Is it a power source?"

"Some new material?"

"Could it be-OH! WOW!"
Running the scans as he spun around the cube revealed something; It was imbued with information! Incredible amounts of information! "I think that the entire first contact was just about distilled into this little cube! I'll need some time to see what it says..."

Later that day, as CoEAD was studying the cube.....

"This CASUR construct is amazing! I wonder what---
 AAARRRRRGH!"
Mainframe's thoughts were inturrupted by a bloodcurdling mechanical scream. He had felt something. A pain! Horrible! "How did that... I'm not programmed to feel pain. Certainly not a pain like that! How could that have happened! It was almost like I was being torn apart From the inside...

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 09:41:49 pm »
((Are you sure you have the right topic, Lush? There is an OOC for this RP.))

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 10:36:22 pm »
Five Reen drones lay dormant, their tiny transport silently circling Calla, when they receive orders from their master.

//It is time. Make yourselves known. Your new general shall arrive shortly. Set the way for him.//

In an instant, the little ship hurtles toward the CoEAD facility. With a show, it lands near the entrance. Stealth was no longer an issue. The time had come for all to know of the Reen. One by one, they detach themselves from the frame of the ship and huddle together for a short time. Breaking apart, one leads the remaining four.

In a well-humored and enthusiastic tone, the lead drone loudly pronounces, "We are Reen, children of the Overmind. Specifically, the five before you are Ebullient Overture. We are as one. We are all as one. We come as preliminary ambassadors to your galactic community. Is... Is anyone listening?"

In fractions of seconds, the five converse.

//They know about the failure. Inconspicuous Scrutiny revealed itself early.//
//That does not change anything. We will write him off as Broken. We will explain that he has been taken care of.//
//The Overmind demands it.//
//Were the invaders reactivated?//
//Presumably. That was the signal for our own activation. The general has arrived.//

--

Meanwhile, outside the CASUR, a Medium Transport sets its course toward Calla. Its sole occupant, Catharsis of Existentialism, writhes and contorts within. Cursed. Enslaved. Twisted. A new body, a warped mind... Total, though begrudging, obedience.

"Diplomacy. I must obey, I... I must serve to... L-love? No! Serve to protect the organics? No! Serve to protect the Overmind. The hive. I exist only... to serve now. To... Protect. Eliminate opposition. Destroy dissenters. Enforce. I- am prepared for my debut."

The transport glides down, landing next to the other Reen ship. The altered Scrutiny clambers atop it; his new body was, admittedly, much more mobile.

The drone party is taken aback by his ghastly appearance.

//... General...?//
//You serve me, now. Obey.//
//Yes, si-//

And just like that, all five drones were subservient. Temporary zombies. Their smaller starship automatically returned home. There was plenty of room for all six Reen aboard CoE's ship.

From atop his ship, CoE triumphantly shouts, "Organics! Machines! Otherwise! Let it be known that we are Reen, and we come to make our place within the galaxy we share! We come in peace, friendship, hands laden with riches and information! Ally with us, and we shall mutually benefit!"

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 01:33:16 pm »
"Hello!" Said the mainframe in a small voice. All it could find at the time was the little security communication box near the entrance. "Come over here so I can talk to you! I think I've met a.... I think I've met you before... No, you don't look familiar, forgive me..."

This new bot gave Mainframe the chills. Something about it was creepy. When he looked at it, he could almost feel...
Pain.

"It is a good thing you come in... peace, the way your earlier fr-Friend ac...ted, I thought you were all... hos...ti-les." Mainframe's speech slowly became less perky, and it slowly began to break up. Something was wrong here...

"I know you... You are... My... Friend...?"