Poll

Could Spore have been saved?

A Solid Yes
8 (29.6%)
Perhaps, depends on which way they went with it, and how they went about it.
13 (48.1%)
A Solid No
6 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Could have Spore been fixed? Give your thoughts.  (Read 14620 times)

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
Could have Spore been fixed? Give your thoughts.
« on: June 24, 2010, 08:10:57 pm »
I personally think that if EA/Maxis would have stuck to their guns, they could have gotten Spore to a godly game. Well, perhaps not godly, but a market topper, possibly. Looking at the game from a person who hadn't heard anything about the game, I thought it was the best game I ever played. In fact, the way I discovered Spore was that it was featured in an article my dad was reading, and knowing I'm an avid gamer, he showed it to me. I ended up finding the release date for Spore once there was one, and I actually bought Spore the day it came out. (I even got a Spore T-Shirt that was supposed to come with the Galactic Edition, even though I only got the normal edition :P) And I thought it was amazing. Of course, once I saw what the game was origionally GOING TO BE, I was all "OMGWTFBLT >:("
But honestly, looking at it from the perspective of someone who knew nothing of the game's past, it was breathtaking. I do believe that if the producers kept at it, they could have gotten places with the game. I got GA the day it came out. I got C+C Parts Pack the day it came out. I, personally, would buy pretty much anything with the Spore tag on it (within reason-no Spore:Galactic Adventures:Galactic Edition V.2.0.1). Hell, if I could, I'd try to work on the game myself. But I don't know jack shizzle about coding. Or modeling. Or building UI's. Or AI Scripting....you get the idea.

Offline Kezz

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
Re: Could have Spore been fixed? Give your thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 09:19:56 pm »
I vote D -- This poll is irrelevant because thousands just like it have been made over the years. Spore is Spore. It will always be so. Asking what could have been is like finding an abandoned car in the middle of nowhere and pondering the previous owners: Sure it's fun and it makes you get that satisfying sense of sentimentality, but it's extremely unproductive.

If you're into turn-based 4X strategy, I suggest looking into Elemental, which is being designed by Stardock. They're going for a similar approach of extreme customization and content pollination.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 09:29:36 pm »
Uh, that's totally unrelated. Wondering who owned something before you found it is totally different from wonder how things could have gone differently in the development. I'm not asking what could have been, I'm asking if people thought that it could have made it, or if EA/Maxis made the right decision in abandoning the game.

gec05

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 11:59:55 pm »
Again, this discussion has occurred in many forms over the years. A lot of what can be said, has been said. We have been following this game through and through much longer than you to have. We have seen the game grow and progress. With each trickle, we saw glimpses of what we hoped it would be. Despite all the large expectations people put on Spore, Maxis chose their own course. And once the game came out, we learned of what all our waiting has earned us.

Another thing about these discussions is that they have no insight. They just bring up all the nasty things people hate about Spore. About all the things they wanted. About who's fault it is. We get sick and tired of it. Granted, the game has it's merits as a creative tool. Will Wright mentioned it countless times that he wanted a game like a toy. And we didn't pay attention to that single detail because we were all too busy thinking at how cool the game looks. I'm pretty sure Maxis created the game how they wanted it to be. There was no way they could have done it differently from their perspective. They wouldn't have gotten the real picture up until now about the future of Spore.

Now that their franchise is facing imminent death, they are probably changing their outlook now.

And then I think back to the history of Maxis. The only good games they had were Sim City and the Sims. Everything else they made was a trash bag of flops and mediocrity. Goes to show you how much they progressed as a game developer rather than a simulator developer.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 12:05:06 am by Gec »

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 12:21:36 am »
Again, this discussion has occurred in many forms over the years. A lot of what can be said, has been said. We have been following this game through and through much longer than you to have. We have seen the game grow and progress. With each trickle, we saw glimpses of what we hoped it would be. Despite all the large expectations people put on Spore,
I am sick and tired of this strawman argument. Sure there were SOME kids who thought that it will be the ultimate game ever, but most of us didn't have that high expectations. The point is, that Spore could have been a LOT more fun without changing anything fundamental. I am not asking for an underwater stage for instance or something similarly complex, but a lot of things could have been made better by just tweaking a few numbers. That's not what I call high expectations.

Another thing about these discussions is that they have no insight. They just bring up all the nasty things people hate about Spore. About all the things they wanted. About who's fault it is. We get sick and tired of it. Granted, the game has it's merits as a creative tool. Will Wright mentioned it countless times that he wanted a game like a toy. And we didn't pay attention to that single detail because we were all too busy thinking at how cool the game looks. I'm pretty sure Maxis created the game how they wanted it to be. There was no way they could have done it differently from their perspective. They wouldn't have gotten the real picture up until now about the future of Spore.

Now that their franchise is facing imminent death, they are probably changing their outlook now.
That's pretty much how you define a bad decision. ::)
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 09:42:22 pm »
And then I think back to the history of Maxis. The only good games they had were Sim City and the Sims. Everything else they made was a trash bag of flops and mediocrity. Goes to show you how much they progressed as a game developer rather than a simulator developer.

I disagree some games like Sim Farm, Sim Earth and Sim Life were very good games for their time. However there are big flops too like Sim Isle and Sim Health. I mean really if Maxis had kept making sequels to their games i bet we would have people playing Sim Farm 2 rather than "Farmville" on Facebook.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 12:15:21 am »
I dunno Harvest moon has 500 versions/sequals/remakes of it yet everyone still plays the face book version. If Sim Farn 2 was released to be played via facebook a zillion people might have playeded if it was just a standard PC release well then it anything could have happened. Really depends obviously if it was any good or not.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 12:51:09 pm »
Gonna say it could have been salvaged. It's a big could though given it largely hinges around Hecker having never been let near the thing in the first place, or failing that was dismissed much sooner than he was.

Honestly, i've looked up this man - he was commissioned in the past to create a new benchmarking system or something of the sort for Microsoft, so that computers would have some kind of standard or something. The project flopped horribly, cost Microsoft a ton. The project was taken out of Hecker's hands and given to someone else - the result was DirectX. I'm pretty sure it's impossible not to have heard of DirectX. Between that and his juvenile "the wii is a piece of ____" stunt, it's eminently clear to me that this man is a walking disaster and shouldn't have been let near Spore in the first place. Wright may have bailed him out with that one post he did absolving hecker of blame, but I know a mince worded PR thing when I see it.

Post-release, Spore probably could have been saved - if Maxis were listening. Which, as i've beaten to death, they probably weren't.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 08:50:59 pm »
Could it be saved? Yes, very early on in development, it could have.

But it wasn't. We're just going to have to move on.
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 07:15:49 am »
Yaaaay! It's another one of THESE threads!
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 05:59:40 pm »
I have a really cool idea!

What is it?

Explains idea.

You're right!

But will it make us rich?

Reexplains original idea.

But some people won't like it... and we want to be rich... change it.

Changes idea

That will make more money but not make us rich.

Changes idea more

That will make us rich but we will lose the original fan base.

Insert hype and lies

Nobody will notice, do it.

Fail.

-Lego

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 05:25:31 am »
"Hype and lies?" How does a game company even do that?

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 06:56:07 am »
My friend, you do not want to know.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 10:44:54 am »
By... hyping and lying? >_>
How else?

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 11:01:18 am »
By... hyping and lying? >_>
How else?
But how do you lie?!
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense