Author Topic: Sector RP  (Read 4998 times)

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Sector RP
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 02:15:50 pm »
Dinosaurs have been extinct for some time. Is this alt history?

Offline Holomanga

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 03:37:04 am »
Wow, lizard men aliens. How delightfully original.

I didn't know that stars could be arranged in near-perfect 2-D square grids, or that there was a standard gravity preference. :P

1. They aren't lizards. They're dinosaurs.
2. Just enjoy the game. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief
3. Too high gravity with water means they struggle to breathe and their heart fails. Too low, and bones degrade and children grow malformed. Gravity won't instantly kill anyone. The gravity preference is where it is best for them to reproduce/live.
You aren't asking me to suspend my disbelief. By actually admitting that these unoriginal lizard aliens are dinosaurs, you're asking me to not think. It's plain common sense. Oh, and learn to spell. What is "Waterbe", anyway?

Anyway, my real issue is that these guys might be the most unoriginal species I have ever seen on this board. I am not making this up.

Oh, and weren't some dinosaurs technically lizards?

They have tails. And 'Waterbe' is a combination of the words water and bee. Waterbee just looks sloppy.

And they have a similar posture to dinosaurs. Does that make dinosaurs unoriginal too?

The most unoriginal species? I think you are bending the truth a bit. I'll just check how many pages of content about this species I could give you...
... oh there are (whoops lost count)

Just read this. And check all the hyperlinks to waterbe related content whilst your at it.

Ooglese, waterbien, shraak 1 2 3 Unistarch (speaks faster)waterbecityooglcoopadinia(speaks so fast that it becomes inaudible)

Have fun.
That sounds an awful lot like every single RP that has happened in the past 4 years.

So I'm doing this right? Thanks. At least someone noticed my post count and realised that I didn't have a clue how anything in this forum works.

Everypostonthisthreadsofar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism#Constructive_criticism

I have resolved to, until someone, rather than calling me a troll and complaining about my well fleshed out, diverse races, decides to actually pay attention to the fact I am new and decide it would be nice to help me out, flame everyone randomly. And you don't want that.

Thanks haseri.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 05:21:22 am by Holomanga »

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 04:54:46 am »
They are four-limbed bipeds, which is pretty much human shaped. Plus, you have openly admitted that they are based off of a terrestrial creature. Now, think of some of the races we have on here.

The Sombrerons, which, while four-limbed, have a different biological structure, with the grasping limbs on the bottom, and locomotive fore-limbs.

The Nauceans have only two limbs, and have prehensile tentacles for manipulation.

The Wexxians are robots.

It's not depth we're looking for particularly (although having it is good), but originality in the creatures. Taking a terrestrial creature like a dinosaur and not really doing anything with it isn't going to earn you any points. If you must use a terrestrial creature, start with it and then change stuff so it doesn’t look like anything from Earth any more: add limbs, mix and match creature parts, change the way they act, etc.

Now, it is natural to be defensive when people criticise your work. One of my first posts was being angry with someone for criticising my creature, saying I lacked imagination. I reacted in more or less the same way you have, defensively.

Your creature might be OK for Basilicus, but we have different standards here, which needs to be acknowledged. We aren't going to change those for you.

As for this thread, while it is a nice idea (for me anyway, I like these sorts of games), you can't just come bursting on to the scene and hope to be popular. Ease yourself into the community, create a creature thread where you will accept people having some criticisms. People aren't helping you here because this is a game thread, according to the title, not a creature thread.

Offline art_is_a_mathform

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2010, 11:15:20 am »
I have resolved to, until someone, rather than calling me a troll and complaining about my well fleshed out, diverse races, decides to actually pay attention to the fact I am new and decide it would be nice to help me out, flame everyone randomly. And you don't want that.

Now generally, I've been part of the "Don't be a Dick to Holomanga" crowd, but that's no way to act, presumably young man. Attempting to hold people hostage with threats of flaming is only going to get you laughed at.

Let's break it down and see what you did wrong. For one thing, the sentence is poorly constructed; it goes on too long and has too many clauses. And while I agree that it's a tad early to brand you a troll, you shouldn't whine that people are complaining about your work. It happens to everyone. It's just part of the process. Referring to your own work as "fleshed-out and diverse," is just tooting your own horn. Don't do it. You may have the best race around, but that's no excuse to be pompous.

Finally, the threat itself: flaming. You're going to flame me? On my interbutts? I'm not scared. In fact, go ahead. I feed on it. Get mad, and I will laugh. The fact you're already this upset over internet aliens is mildly lulzy; if you wanna ice the cake, be my guest. Contrary to your claims of my wants, I do want you to go on a rampage and make a fool of yourself, so that I can siphon off the emotional fallout.

That's you! That's how dumb you sound! You've been wrong about every single thing you've ever done, including this thing. You're not smart. You're not a scientist. You're not a doctor. You're not even a full-time employee! Where did your life go so wrong?

You remind me of Malt.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
One of the great revelations of the age of space exploration is the image of the earth finite and lonely...

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 11:37:33 am »
Art, shush. Notice he crossed it out and wrote 'Thanks haseri.' underneath.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 11:09:48 pm »
That sounds an awful lot like every single RP that has happened in the past 4 years.
So I'm doing this right? Thanks. At least someone noticed my post count and realised that I didn't have a clue how anything in this forum works.

Quote from: Asian guy in a movie I saw
You are made of stupid.
Do you really think we like repetitiveness? And next time you join a forum, you should probably lurk a bit and find out more about it. Oblivion2007 really knew how to do it. Smartest newbie we ever got. Just please try and keep things a bit more professional. And I don't really think you're made of stupid; I just wanted to quote that.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • Where did this fish come from?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2010, 11:16:12 pm »
I don't think your stupid either, Holo. Its just that you should try to figure out how everything works first before you start doing anything.
In space, no one can hear you scream unless your transmitting it on the right radio frequency.

Weird City: Add a inhabitant!, Add some industry!

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 01:44:17 pm »
In concur. I think the phrase "Lurk more" comes to mind.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Holomanga

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 11:18:59 am »
I did try and figure out how everything works. Why do you think that people used to think there were only five elements?

Because they tried a figured out how everything works, but failed.

Just like me. But did you call Aristole a troll?

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 12:03:18 pm »
They did back then
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 12:11:18 pm »
You seem to be repeatedly openly admitting that you have no idea what you're doing or how we opperate.  Alright then, good.  It takes a big man to admit his own faults.  However, you seem to have disregarded them and bludgeoned on regardless.  This is not the right thing to do.

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, listen to what we're saying.  You havn't been here very long and people arn't going to support an RP of yours until we know you.  An RP is a commitment and a lot of work.  Take it slowly.  Make a creature thread.  Participate in other RPs.  Get to know us.  Become a member of the community before you try to lead the community.  As it stands right now, your starting off on the same path as The_Mist and Sporebuck, which is a bad thing.

Also, Art hasn't been here very long and is being overly agressive.  Disregard him.  Art, go sit in the corner.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 02:05:22 pm »
Here's a list from a fresh grad from N00b U.

1. Make a creature thread,using those on the Creature Creations Board as a template.

2. Re-edit your post here to iterate the mechanics of your game.

3. Have a list of websites ready that back up your scientific arguments; folks her can be particular about there science.

4. Have fun! The games here are just that, games! I've seen many an artist driven mad by the failure of there work in there communities. Your artwork is like your children, and it can be harder than blood to admit there failings. But when push comes to shove, you have to remeber your love for your work and to channel it, and to above all, keep trecking. :)

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 08:23:45 pm »
Yay!  Lush is learning!  Now let's see you apply what you've learnt.  ;)
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Holomanga

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2010, 06:38:39 am »
So are any of you going to join, or will it just die because I tried to defend my notheleastoriginalthingever aliens?