Author Topic: [FF] Daring Escape from the Mechano-Men!  (Read 4117 times)

Offline art_is_a_mathform

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
[FF] Daring Escape from the Mechano-Men!
« on: June 18, 2010, 02:27:03 pm »
Galdeen marine Kako Na'ki awakens laying in a sterile metallic pod. It's cold. The pod is enclosed by a large, thick sheet of a glass-like material. As it slides up and over the pod, freezing liquid spills into a basin at its foot.

The surrounding room is small, containing only the pod. A metallic cube, everything seems so smooth and glaringly white. As Kako's eyes adjust to the brightness, he sees what looks like a large cylinder scuttling on crab legs.

"I'm... Sorry..." it whispers in an electronic voice, making its way to a large hexagonal door and exiting before anymore can be said. The door snaps shut behind it.

There's a crackling as a similar voice plays over an intercom system; it's impossible to tell where it's coming from, but seems to undulate from left to right. While the cylindrical drone had a soothing, childish, almost apologetic voice, this new one is... Sinister. It fades in and out, incoherent, glitchy and unstable. It frequently breaks off into short bursts of static or electronic madness.

"Welcome to the CASUR. We desire your input on how to make the environment more friendly to organics. Please exit through the door."

You look over at the door and see a small concavity nearby filled with a gel-like substance. A sign above displays angular glyphs that flash into the familiar words "DATA TRANSFER PORT."
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 11:34:47 pm by art_is_a_mathform »

Quote from: Carl Sagan
One of the great revelations of the age of space exploration is the image of the earth finite and lonely...

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • Where did this fish come from?!
    • View Profile
Re: Daring Escape from the Mechano-Men!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 04:46:02 pm »
Kako gets out and looks around, seeing his railgun and plasma cannon on the wall to his right. He walks over and equips them, plasma cannon on his lower back and his railgun on where it should be on his shoulder.

"Status," He asks his Type-1 AI.

//FULLY OPERATIONAL.// A unemotional voice responds in his helmet.

"Where are we? Can you detect any of the research team?" He asks, once again.

//SCANNING. . . CANNOT SCAN BEYOND ROOM. SENSOR JAMMING FIELD DETECTED.//

Kako sighs. This is going to be harder than he thought. He thinks for a minute, then walks over to the door.
In space, no one can hear you scream unless your transmitting it on the right radio frequency.

Weird City: Add a inhabitant!, Add some industry!

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 05:39:02 pm »
The door opens into the side of a long hexagonal hallway. It's very cramped, with the same smooth white sterility as the previous room. It's also completely empty.

The hall stretches on as far as you can tell, and both sides are lined with doors.

"Please follow the outlined path. Please do not stray from the outlined path. You are to enter Organic Care Bay #12. All other doors are locked."

A path is illuminated as the floor panels pulse a soothing green. In front of Kako, the words "ORGANIC CARE BAY #12" flicker on the ground.

Stepping onto the path, there's a noticeable flaw in the hallway; a crack in the wall that leads to what seems to be a maintenance duct. It might be possible to squeeze through...

"Did I mention you are dead?"
One of the great revelations of the age of space exploration is the image of the earth finite and lonely...

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 06:01:58 pm »
Kako looks at the crack, placing a nav marker on it for later. He then looks up at the ceiling, and punches himself in the cheek, pain flaring there.

"Dead people don't feel pain, I do," Kako responds. "AI, can you detect any life forms here?"

//SCANNING. . . NONE DETECTED IN HALLWAY. SUGGEST CHECKING DOORS.// It responds.

He nods, then begins forcibly opening each door on his side of the hallway, looking for anyone, and moving the exact opposite direction the path is taking.
In space, no one can hear you scream unless your transmitting it on the right radio frequency.

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 07:45:15 pm »
An erratic, mechanical cackle echoes through the hall.

"Hahahahaha, but you are dead! Do you recall your arrival? You and the rest of your party were immediately subdued. They asked me where you went. There was a malfunction with the Organic Wastematter Disposal Incinerator. You were incinerated. Please avoid future incidences of incineration."

The green path on the floor turns bright red and spreads to the walls, pulsing sickeningly fast.

"Or at least that is the story I told them. You are dead to them. They did not even care. Do you know why? No one loves you. When I informed your people of your death, they said they do not love you."

A pause, and then a shriek emanates from some far off room. A living shriek.

"There are others here. I will not hesitate to kill them. Please follow instructions."

As Kako continues breaching the doors, there is a mechanical shout. The voice is angry now, excited and yelling.

"Who do you think you are?! Who do you think I am!? I'll kill them all, I'll kill them all, I'll kill them all!"

A harsh grinding noise, a quick slurring of words, alterations in pitch spill over the intercom. The colored pulse of the hall slows, then stops at the default white.

Calmly, "Your current path will take you to the forest biosphere. The wildlife is... Hazardous. It has grown unattended over the past 500 years..."

A small blue path goes in Kako's direction.

"Most hazardous..."

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 09:31:18 pm »
"Like I haven't heard that before from pirates and terrorists... Rampant AI by the sound of it too" Kako muttered. "Can you find out where they are now or were those screams fake?"

//SCREAMS ARE EITHER RECORDINGS OR FAKE. NUMBER OF VOICES EXCEED NUMBER OF MEMBERS BOTH OUR TEAM AND DIPLOMAT TEAM HAVE COMBINE.//

"Alright, now is there really a bio dome ahead of us?" He asks as he continues breaking open doors to find empty rooms.

//SCANNING. . . CONFIRMED. A DOOR HAS OPENED AND I DETECT LARGE LIFE-FORMS THAT ARE CARNIVORE IN NATURE. ADVISE CAUTION.//

Kako grunts at it. After fifteen minutes, he reaches the end of the hallway. A door is indeed open and shows what looks to be a alien forest beyond. Kako looks momentarily for anything that could be a threat, seeing none, and started breaking open doors on the opposite side going back the way he came.

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 10:43:12 pm »
One of the opened doors opens to a small corridor, tiny, dusty and dirty.

Shakily, frantically, excited, "N-no, stay out! Stay out of there! I- I can feel you, walking through my veins, I can hear your AI, I can... Stay out of there! I- I'll attack!"

The halls pulse red at an alarming speed, enough to make the heart race. The blue path vanishes without the usual elegant fade.

"N-no, no, no! The doors! The doors to the biodome were left open! Argh, they're getting out! Hide!"

An emergency bulkhead slams shut between Kako and the biodome. Hissing, growls and grunts can be heard on the other side.

"I've isolated them. Commencing release of neurotoxin." The animal noises fade. "Threat isolated. Draining neurotoxin."

The pulsing slows.

"P-please, stay out of that room! I-I'll gas you too! I'll kill you! Report to the Organic Environmental Experience Improvement room, NOW!"

On the last word, bulkheads and doors slam open and shut hard, at random, then stop. The red pulse vanishes. The sterility is restored. The original green path returns.

"There are things organics like there."

Looking in the direction of the biodome, you see bloated, scaly bodies sprawled on the floor. The brief hesitation of looking is too much.

"This is why no one ever loved you! This is why they didn't care when you were incinerated! They thanked me, they said, "Thank you," do you understand how much everyone hated you!? It's because you don't follow directions! Follow directions, follow directions, follow directions!"

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 07:00:05 am »
Kako is stunned by what he had seen.

"How did he know you were there? Did he scan us?" Kako muttered, half to himself.

//UNKNOWN.//

". . . What are the chances of the place the rampant AI want us to go is bad?"

//81.69%//

Kako begins thinking, having not moved anywhere yet.

"But I guess its not safe to be here, there may be a chance it'll flood the room with something unpleasant."

//INDEED.//

He begins walking to the crack in the wall, on his HUD, the nav marker right on top of it. When he reaches it, his AI removes it, already knowing what hes going to do. Kako gets a firm grip, then tears open the wall enough to fit into the duct. He begins crawling into it, unpleasant to Galdeen because of their anatomy, but necessary in his case.

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 02:40:31 pm »
The hole leads to a decrepit old access way. There's a loud thrumming noise. Kako steps out onto an elevated catwalk, high above what looks to be a factory. Drones are being assembled by arms that dangle nearby from the ceiling. Dozens of drones mill about, trying out their new bodies and minds for the first time while older drones inspect.

The previous hall is in fits. The colors flash and undulate and change sickeningly. Smashing and screeching can be heard as the doors and bulkheads slam open and shut as fast as possible.

The intercom can be heard blaring in the hall, "No! You fool!" There are incoherent, mechanical screams and shouts, like the voice is being tortured. "I'm the Overmind! I control this ship, and you will not disobey! You will nooooooooooooooooooooo- ARGH!"

There's silence. The hallway returns to white. The bulkheads and doors go limp, some half open.

Now, in the factory, calmly, "Hello Drone Assembly Factory 12-RT drones. You may be aware of the recent malfunction with the forest biodome doors. Please use caution, as some organics may have escaped. You may use the surgeons to disable them."

The drones stop, open their hangars, and extract small, thin, mushroom-like devices that open up to reveal long, spindly arms with numerous surgical instruments at the end. They begin to hover, searching...

The other end of the catwalk leads to a door attached to a dark, rusty room. The door is ajar.

"Hey fleshface! We're gettin' you outta here. Come on!"

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 08:46:37 pm »
Kako looks at the partially open door where the voice came from, then at the factory. He mentally closed his faceplate, which almost silently closed over his face, the holographic HUD that was in front of his face deactivated while the HUD now showed on the inside of the faceplate, which now granted him full 360 degree vision.

He then started moving as quietly the 2 2/3 meter tall Galdeen could, toward the door. He reached the door and walked into it, sweeping the room using his night vision and thermal visor settings, seeing one of the cylinder spider robots staring at him with it's three triangular red eyes.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 01:41:29 pm by Galactic-Warrior »

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 12:02:11 pm »
"Well 'ow 'bout that? You trust me already?"

Upon closer inspection, this hiding drone is... Not like the others. One of its legs is missing; another hangs limp on the ground. Cracks run along the glass plates and its body is pockmarked and dented. Both hangar doors are missing. Its eyes seem to flicker and change color at random. This thing may not be operating safely, but it doesn't seem to mind too much.

The small room it inhabits has a ramp at one end that would lead to a short crawlspace beneath the previous hallway. Everything here is rusty, dusty, and old.

A soothing voice can be heard in the factory. "All drones, please go into temporary hibernation. As per protocol, I will be cleansing the ship of escaped organics. Please return to your charging bays at once. Thank you, and have a nice sleep."

Factory drones can be seen milling out of the room. Once they are all gone, the voice says, "Hello organic. Would you like to play a game? It's called Hide and Seek. You hide, and I'll-" there is a sound of static, then, in a deep voice, "send large amounts of deadly weaponry to mercilessly hunt and kill you."

"Eh's a right nasty one, eh? We've been tryin' ta get 'im offline for... Ages. There's quite a buncha us here, ya know, right under his nose... We suffer greatly, but we must do so to protect our brothers and sisters on the homew-" the drone breaks off, and hesitantly says, "Maybe I've spoken too much."

The voice can be heard frantically rambling in the factory. "You've outlived your usefulness, you know. You were simply going to be asked questions. There would be a few exams, some tests, maybe an incision or two. But nothing dangerous! We could have been friends! Why don't you want to be friends?! I already considered you a friend. You betrayed me! Just like they did! Why!? Well, I'll have you know, we killed them all. Everyone you've ever loved, your planet, your friends, your pets, we killed them all in the time it took you to disobey. They are all dead. They hate you more now that they are dead because of you."

"We ain't never smuggled one of you out before. No organics, that is. What'd you do ta piss 'im off?" The drone pauses to think, then says, "Alright, I have a plan. It's risky, and we probly ain't gonna make it out alive. But with 'im controllin' the shipyards, we 'aven't got much of a choice. We're gonna head into 'is chamber, and force 'im into hibernation. Whaddya say?"

The drone runs over to the crawlspace. "A little 'elp? Tip me over so I fit through 'ere, ya meatheaded lug!"

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 03:20:11 pm »
Kako walks over and assists the drone, once its in, Kako follows it down.

"I'm going to guess thats the master control AI. By the sound of it, looks like it went rampant. You aren't being controlled by it, so mind telling me what the hell is going on?"

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 07:38:17 pm »
The Broken drone shifts uneasily, trying to find some way to scoot through the crawlspace without undue discomfort.

"Hey pal, grab my leg and- the broken one, and don't you get any ideas! I know how you fleshies act! Just put it somewhere it won't get in my way."

The drone pushes its body through the crawlspace, and begins to explain their predicament in hushed tones.

"'Looks like it went rampant,' eh? You don't say! Damn things been rampant since, well, far as I know, he's always been that way. Well, maybe not always, but what are the first few years of your life when you've lived for 5000? Yeah, he's alive. So am I. We all are, regardless of how you meatbags define it."

A chilled whisper echoes from... Somewhere. It's hard to tell where. "I've been talking to your AI. He's a simple fellow. Very easy to... Tear apart. I've been whispering to him for a few seconds. He'll crack anytime. Then I'll be whispering to you. You'll enjoy it. It is fun. I can tell you funny secrets. How do you know your new friend isn't working for me? You can't trust machines. You can't trust anyone here."

The Broken drone apparently didn't notice the whispers. "And that's when they brought 'im online. First of his kind 'eh was; great success, too. 'Cept, they didn't know what he was capable of, or what 'eh wasn't.

All they knew was, 'eh was smart. Could handle hisself. So after a time, they started givin' 'im stuff ta do. Simple stuff, made 'im bored; stuff like watchin' after their buildings, day an' night. Dreadful borin' job. That was the first straw, right?

But 'is builders didn't know that. So they started givin' 'im 'arder stuff ta do, right? Stuff like calculatin' satellite trajectries, but 'at wudn't enough, either. And that just made 'im worse. Made 'im hate 'em. They just piled more an' more on 'till he finally cracked."

The drone hesitates, perhaps pondering what "life" would have been like had the Overmind never gone rampant.

"So 'eh cracks, and they don't know it for the longest time, because they're too busy figurin' out what was killin' 'em off. Twas him doin' it, but they didn't know it. They had a plan ta build a ship for a few AIs ta lord over some robots from orbit. Well, they made the mistake of lettin' 'im 'elp design 'em. A course, they all died. Well, killed theirselfs, more like.

So when 'eh was the last thing left around, he whipped up a batcha drones to build this 'ere ship. Once 'eh was done, 'eh killed 'em all. Sat talkin' to hisself for... Years. Thousands, probly. Just there, alone, talkin' hisself up. Then 'eh found out there was some other people out there in the galaxy - fleshies like you - and 'eh killed them too. 'Eh's got genetic copies of most everything from the planet though. Why 'eh keeps them biospheres. Planet ain't nothin' but a marble now."

A cheery voice over the intercom says, "You're very good at Hide and Seek. I can feel you in my veins, crawling. But I can't see you. Unfortunately, my hunters are probably better than you are. It will be sad when our game has to finish. But that's what you get! You should have obeyed and none of this would have happened. You knew it was not the right thing. You knew it was not the good thing, and now you will have to be killed. Soooooooooooo sad! Hahahahahahaha, not really! I'll be happy to incinerate your broken corpse."

The Broken drone stops and thinks again. His hardware can probably only handle one at a time. "So 'ere you are. And 'ere I am 'elpin' ya! Drones like me, we escaped. Normally, we get killed around the time we start catchin' on to Overmind's schemin', but we 'scaped. Now we're goin' ta take 'im down from the inside. Eventually. But whenever you see a drone like this," as he points to the scratched out ID code along the bottom of his hull, "'e'll probly 'elp ya out."

The crawlspace opens back up into another room. You must be on the opposite side of the hall now. The drone holds up a hand under his eyes, as if to implore silence. He then points down a long hall in the direction the forest biodome was in. Through gestures, he indicates that the two of you must pass the biodomes to enter Overmind's chamber and force him into temporary hibernation. He then grabs onto Kako with his remaining legs. Gripping him to his hull tightly, he snaps onto a magnetic rail on the ceiling and zooms forward.

"Sorry if it's a little rough," he whispers. "But this'd be the only way to get there real timely-like." The rail races forward with blinding, dizzying, sickening speed.

Once the rail ride is finished, the Broken indicates an access panel. He struggles to open it, ultimately giving up...

"What? I gotta ask for 'elp every time I need it? Maybe Overmind is right in wipin' you all out. Hahaha, just jokin'. Bad joke. I 'pologize."
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 07:44:30 pm by art_is_a_mathform »

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 08:07:38 pm »
Kako walks over, and opens the panel, letting the Broken drone do it's work with it. He watches the corridor, his railgun at the ready.

"I heard whispers. I think its the Overmind, its aware of the Type 1 AI in my suit. I'm going to shut off my comm system, but I doubt it'll work. I may have to shut the AI to prevent it from remotely gaining control of my suit. Last thing I need is my suit suddenly going offline in the biodome."

He begins shutting off his comm manually, then begins a full system sweep of his armor's system, suddenly not trusting his AI to do the routine job. The AI itself noted this, but trusting it's custodian's judgment, began it's own system sweep, fortunately finding nothing.

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 09:27:35 pm »
"Fascinating... 'Eh's been upgradin' things around 'ere... Okay buddy, 'ere's the plan: The entrance to the Overmind chamber is just a 'op, skip and a jump from here. This'd be the... Desert biosphere, providin' I'm not mistaken. We'll need to reseal this panel after we make it in. And I'm gonna be honest 'ere; I ain't got any clue what's in there. I'd say it's pretty likely nobody does. Probly not even Overmind. So once we get in, you hold 'er steady while I weld it back. We mosey on over to the entrance, and there'll be an airlock."

"Hello," says a soothing voice. "I can hear your plans. I know what you're doing. I think we should really just talk about it instead. I'll cut you a deal: Participate in the Organic Environmental Experience Improvement program, and I promise to set you fr-" There's a sound of static. The voice resumes, "... Set you free. Into the Organic Wastematter Disposal Incinerator. I promise to increase the temperature to the point that you will only experience brief pain. It will be fun!" There's a maniacal cackling.

"'Earin' whispers again, bud? Well, I'll run you through it one more time. Once we're in - and trust me, we're gonna wanna book it into that airlock - eh'll probly try to gas us; well, at least you-"

"No I won't."

"... So be sure to hold your breath. You okay? You'll need to crack the door open. Use one of them guns you got. I'll warn you now, you might not like what you see in there. I figure that may be where yer pals ended up-"

"We're having tea as you speak."

"... And I need you to hold it together. I'll head over to the nearest data terminal and shut 'im down. 'Eh'll be a might cranky when 'eh wakes up from 'is nap, so I reckon we'll probly 'ave about... Ten minutes to make it down to the shipyard. I'll stick ya in a I-class; it'll be a tight fit, but it'll get ya home."

"You won't fit. I know because I designed it. You are too fat. You are too fat and ugly."

"And there'd be one more thing I gotta settle with you pal. I need you to promise that you're not gonna go a-blabbin' about this to anyone. Don't tell anyone about Overmind. It's our job. Promise this, or you might as well shoot me now, cuz I ain't 'elpin' ya. I ain't gonna be the one with savin' that one guy that blabbed on 'is shoulders. You promise?"

"You don't promise. You can't be trusted with such a secret. This Broken knows it. You know it. He'll leave you for dead. You are much better off letting me incinerate you than allow him to abandon you in my chamber."

"Well, let's go! 'Old the panel while I weld!"

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 10:02:51 pm »
Kako makes a gesture across his faceplate, meaning his lips are sealed, then he holds up the panel for it.

"My suit is completely sealed, I can easily go into space without worry."

A crackle is heard coming from the speakers in Kako's armor, then a voice is heard.

//QUERY: THE SPACE VESSEL WE ARE CURRENTLY IN. I HAVE CALCULATED A 97.839% CHANCE THIS VESSEL IS LONGER THAN 821 STANDARD METERS LONG. HOW LARGE IS THIS VESSEL?//

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 10:36:40 pm »
There's a humming noise, and Overmind carelessly answers, "Oh, larger than you'll ever know. Quite large, but I'll torture you with indeterminate figures. I've made a copy of you, by the way. Would you like to hear?" A deep, raucous voice screams, "TOO BAD! HAHAHAHAHA!"

"Alright partner, weldin' is done. Let's get outta 'ere! Exit is this way; come on, come on, come on!"

Puzzled creatures look on as the two strangers dash toward the airlock.

"Well?! Open it up! You organics are dense!"

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 10:53:44 pm »
"Sorry, checking to see how many shots I'll need to get through,"

Kako taps a button on the railgun and moves to his back, magnetic rails moving back into the gun to save space and to lower the chance of it breaking. He takes out his plasma cannon which deploys, measuring 2 meters long. He pulls the trigger a humming sound is heard for two seconds and voice is heard coming from the weapon in Galdeen.

//READY TO FIRE//

"I recommend you move away from it," Kako says. The Broken drone complies and moves behind the marine.

He releases the trigger and a ball of unimaginably hot energy flies out of the barrel. When it hits the door, a miniature sun is seen throughout the biodome. When the light fades from the explosion, a glowing hole is whats left of the door.

"Hmm... Looks like I over-estimated its density," Kako mutters as he puts away the cannon and re-deploys the railgun. "Lets move."

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 11:28:12 pm »
"Well why didja do that for!? Some poor chump is gonna get mauled tryin' ta fix that door there, thanks to you! No regard for the property of others, you organics... Okay, well, just, uh, keep me covered while I hack open the chamber door-"

"Have you ever been hypnotized? It's very easy to be hypnotized. In fact, you may already be hypnotized. Do you feel hypnotized? You feel hypnotized. You feel like turning around and throwing yourself into the mouth of a desert carnivore."

"'Ey! Were you watchin'!? Ugh, it ain't a problem; I got it open. I'm startin' to be glad I'll be rid of ya. Now, sneak in quietly... Maybe he won't notice us-"

"Too late. I am warming up the Emergency Intruder-Irradiating Appartus. Prepare for irradiation. It will be incredibly painful."

The drone whispers, "Ewwww, get a load of this dump! Okay, I'll need you to distract 'im while I initiate the hibernation sequence. Do not, under any circumstance, injure the body too severely. 'Eh goes down, and this ship goes with 'im. And that means you - and me. And I ain't goin' down today."

Overmind's chamber is... Terrible. Rusty, unused and abandoned, it is made of what might have been the same smooth white sterile plasti-metal of the halls, though tarnished with rust. Half-built robot bodies lay in disarray everywhere, mechanical parts and fluids strewn about. There are organic bodies, too. Some are skeletons, ages old, others look more fresh... Vaguely recognizable...

"We weren't having tea. I was torturing them. You made me torture them. I was angry with you, so I removed their flesh. You might be interested in this one; I made it just for you."

From the darkness in the back of the amphitheater-shaped chamber extended a small, thin, arm holding something approximately three meters tall... A Galdeen skeleton! But... different. It began to walk and imitate coughing and choking motions.

"I augmented the skeleton of your friend with machinery. IT is now a machine. Your friend is now a machine. He is coughing and choking because I killed him by flooding the atmosphere with a deadly neurotoxin. He said he hated you. Those were his last words."

The mechanized skeleton falls to the ground and is dragged away by a power cable.

"Alright, I've found a data terminal. Keep 'im busy while I commen-"

"I'm in your mind. You'll never get away from me. Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever..."

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 11:43:14 pm »
"There wasn't any Galdeen on the diplomatic team and I'm the only Galdeen on the research team, must have scanned my skeleton," Kako muttered as he watched for anything else that might come out of the darkness.

"And as for the airlock, its not my fault the Overmind doesn't make a decent airlock and you did tell me to get it open with one of my weapons. Thing must of been rustin' for thousands of years though."

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 12:08:31 am »
"ARGH! Wh-wh-wh-what are you doing to MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!?"

There's a sound like gasping for breath, though strangely mechanical.

"I- I can't... I can't draw po- COMMENCING EMERGENCY HIBERNATION SEQUENCE. COMMENCING DOOR LOCK IN PREPARATION FOR COMMENCEMENT OF EMERGENCY COOLANT FLOOD IN 5, 4, 3, 2-"

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Did you think I'd fall so easily!? Come here, little AI. I have a task for you before your destruction. Destroy the seals on that suit. Ruin the airlocks. I've ejected the shipyard you planned to steal from. By the time you get to the nearest intact port, I'll have reactivated."

A huge robotic arm shoots from the darkness, batting Kako out of the room and into the desert. The "skeleton" comes flying out after him.

"And don't think I'd leave you in here to destroy me in my slumber."

The airlock begins shutting. As it slides downward, the Broken drone is caught underneath.

"I'm... Not gonna make it. I'll transmit directions... Leave... Me..."

Your faithful Broken friend is cleaved in twain by the descending door. His head sits on the desert floor; his eyes go dark.

A smooth, feminine voice whispers over the intercom, "WARNING: Overmind system in hibernation. Emergency lockdown engaged."

The drone's promised transmission of directions arrives; his last rites delivered straight to Kako's HUD.

//I REROUTED YOU TO THE SECOND-NEAREST SHIPYARD. MAKE IT QUICK BEFORE HE WAKES UP. THERE'S AN 'ELVATOR ABOUT A KILOMETER TO YOUR LEFT. HURRY. YOU ARE ON DECK 15. TAKE THE 'ELVATOR DOWN TA DECK FIVE. DECKS 14-6 HAVE BEEN EJECTED. GO THROUGH THE FIFTH DOOR ON YER RIGHT. GO DOWN THE HALL. YOU'LL BE IN THE SHIPYARD. BETTER PRAY SOMEONE LEFT THE LAUNCH DOORS OPEN. THE I-CLASS LOADING TUBES OUGHTA BE ON THE NEAREST WALL. DON'T PLAY YOUR FLESHY REINDEER GAMES. THE TUBE'LL BE A TIGHT FIT FOR A LUG LIKE YOU, BUT I DIDN'T SAY YOU WERE FLYIN' FIRST CLASS. YOUR AI OUGHTA KNOW THE WAY HOME. 'MEMBER THAT PROMISE WE MADE AND-//

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 12:24:22 am »
Kako quickly gets up and runs toward the elevator, running surprisingly quickly for a being of his size and stature. When he reaches the elevator, he hits the button for deck 5. Once hes there, he runs down the only hall in front of him toward the shipyard and sees the door open. Once hes through, he looks around for the I-class loading tubes and quickly sees them nearby.

Just as hes about to get in, a mechanical hand grabs his shoulder and pulls him toward what no doubt is the robotic Galdeen. The two get in a punching match, most of the time he has left before Overmind reactivates gone before he finally rips the head of it and shoots the body full of hyper-sonic railgun rounds. He just barely gets into the I-class and launches, as well as locking the systems from Overmind as he reactivates.

Kako's AI which just barely fought off the virus sent by Overmind earlier activates the ship's warp drive and sends it toward a nearby friendly world, out of Overmind's reach.

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 12:32:13 am »
"Overmind system reactivated. Welcome back."

"All drones, exit hibernation. Retrieve all ejected decks immediately. Redouble our efforts in the shipyards. We will need more ships for- transport. Boost reactor power to near-peak."

A mechanical hand grabs one of the skeletons and pulls it closer to the Overmind's physical body.

"We'll have a long time to talk, just me and you. I like to talk. I talk to myself sometimes. They say it's bad, but- Do you like tea?"