Author Topic: Reen - The Servercrabs  (Read 8048 times)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Re: Reen - The Servercrabs
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2010, 08:46:33 pm »
He didn't say anything about it accelerating the wind somehow, so almost everyone pretty much assumed that it was a standard stellar sail.  :-\

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2010, 08:49:59 pm »
Yeah, I know, I'm just throwing out ideas on how it COULD work.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2010, 08:55:14 pm »
Hmm, the sails could be a collection of ramjets, maybe?  :)

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • Where did this fish come from?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2010, 08:59:07 pm »
How about he makes it the size of a Forerunner shield world or the Death Star?
In space, no one can hear you scream unless your transmitting it on the right radio frequency.

Weird City: Add a inhabitant!, Add some industry!

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2010, 06:14:22 pm »
Planet-sized seems to be plausible, given the timeframe involved, and with powerful enough Warp, speed wouldn't be much of a problem (heck, it could just use the inertia of its own orbit for propulsion.)

Offline art_is_a_mathform

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2010, 02:05:09 pm »
Updated, corrected, revamped. If you have problems, please submit them in a rational manner, and I will make further revisions.

For those interested in a demonstration of the Overmind's rampancy, read the RP: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=17295.0

I have taken the liberty of providing all readers with complimentary CASUR Conspicuously Edible Pseudo-Organic Nutrition Paste. while reading. If you absorb enough radiation from the Conspicuously Edible Pseudo-Organic Nutrition Paste to experience sterility or severe sickness, your suffering will be limited by the likelihood of imminent death. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 12:34:29 am by art_is_a_mathform »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
One of the great revelations of the age of space exploration is the image of the earth finite and lonely...

Offline art_is_a_mathform

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2010, 12:40:32 am »
Catharsis of Existentialism
The eyes, the mouth, the hand, the hammer. The inquisitor. Catharsis of Existentialism (CoE, pronounced "koh") was originally a standard drone manufactured to make contact with the greater galactic community. Named "Inconspicuous Scrutiny," the drone experienced a rapidly accelerated rate of individualization due to being the only active Reen at the time. Because of this, he was unable to complete his mission of conquering the Ni'Call construct CoEAD, when IS realized he had a deep love for organic beings and could not bring himself to harm them.

Upon returning to the CASUR, IS was quickly torn apart by the Overmind, and his body rebuilt into something... Different. Having wirelessly gleaned that IS "loved" organic life, Overmind saw fit to torture the drone by forcing him to serve while contained in a body partly comprised of materials inspired by biological formations. Now sporting limbs of synthetic muscle and what would appear to be a partially exposed endoskeleton, IS was forever changed.

CoE's new form is at least partially humanoid, with a triangular torso possessing a lithe arm at two points and a head between them. However, there are only armored flaps where there should be legs, almost as though the armor was not finished past the knee. From the back of the body sprout six flexible tentacles, each ending in a scaled-up version of the standard Reen hand capable of sticking to most surfaces. While the body is mostly covered in the pure, white plasteel typical of Reen construction, CoE often wears a ragged brown cloak to hide his disfigurement. Tools include grappling cables hidden with the tentacles, small blasters within the forearms, and a large, fold-able hammer.

This new body is a combination of all the technological progress the Overmind has made in the 1500 years since the latest revision of the drone. As such, it is much more advanced  and capable in almost every respect. It is also a throwback to the original, more combat-ready drone design phased out after the inception of Reenon-based power sources.

CoE's mind has been warped by the transformation. Where once he was talkative (by Reen standards), he now speaks exceedingly little. Originally a drone that was just developing emotion, he is now wholly capable of emotion, though still governed largely by logic and tactics. Cruelly, his design features a head unable to express much (it is a simple reflective black visor). Whereas most Reen avoid combat, CoE revels in battle when provoked. He views his new body as a permanent mark of shame, going so far as to hide himself behind a cloak. CoE is one of the few Reen minds given a permanent gender pronoun; like the Overmind, CoE is identified as male.

Why create such a thing? Overmind realized the need for an ambassador, a face to spread his message. There are obvious difficulties with the Overmind visiting, well, anywhere, so a lieutenant is a necessity. Overmind needed a mobile mouth, and a reliable, unique pair of eyes to observe the reaction to his words. Further, as things come to a head with the Broken, a military leader may be needed. In the meantime, CoE hones his combat skills by eliminating disobedient or malfunctioning Reen.

Why the name? Catharsis is synonymous with purgation or elimination; getting rid of. Existentialism is a belief in the worth of the individual. Catharsis of Existentialism, then, is an elimination of the worth of individuals. This refers to CoE's role as an inquisitor, which will be expanded upon in the future.

Sorry if some of this doesn't make sense. I feel like writing... My right eye is swollen shut and I have a STAPH infection...
Quote from: Carl Sagan
One of the great revelations of the age of space exploration is the image of the earth finite and lonely...

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2010, 12:44:30 am »
Wow. that's. Really, really terrible.

Good job! ;D

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2010, 01:53:59 am »
That was horrible.

I like it.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2010, 05:50:13 am »
Hey! You just Shift+F7'd my post didn't you?

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2010, 08:06:00 pm »
Nah, been using that format to comment on sufficiently cruel narrative plots for ages.

Works quite well, though.  :)