Author Topic: Reen - The Servercrabs  (Read 8315 times)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Re: Reen - The Servercrabs
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2010, 11:51:32 pm »
It says in the sheet that it is 4x the size of Earth.  :-\

I'm confused.

Offline art_is_a_mathform

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2010, 12:02:54 am »
I agree. Ship size reduced. This is more of a design liability than anything. I also began to realized the limitations with something like that when I went about finalizing the design, and found that really, I couldn't put any detail or features into it because it would be either huge and overblown and undetectably small and thus not worth mentioning.

Furthermore, about containing a sun: Think of it more as an extremely large fusion reactor rather than an extremely small sun. It operates more or less identically to a sun, to the point that it propels the craft via a solar sail. I'll articulate more once I write up an entire section about the CASUR.

Revisions and additions tomorrow. Why? Because I just read Carl Sagan's Wikipedia article, as I am wont to do, and need a couple hours away from space-related things. It's also 2:00 AM.

In the mean time, enjoy the following videos (inline for your convenience):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv5B63HeF1E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv5B63HeF1E</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC3IryWr4c8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC3IryWr4c8</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vioZf4TjoUI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vioZf4TjoUI</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9MCbsdCLhI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9MCbsdCLhI</a>
Quote from: Carl Sagan
One of the great revelations of the age of space exploration is the image of the earth finite and lonely...

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2010, 12:52:55 am »
What are you referring to, Yuu? If it's the Fear, I said 1 1/4 the size of earth. You may have misenterpritated.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2010, 12:57:22 am »
It states in the Reen thread's opening post that their planet's size is four times that of Earth's.

Quote from: art_is_a_mathform
*YuuTube*

Nice visuals.  :)

In any case...

It works, because it's science. And science is magic. 5000 years of building and calculating (starting at a solar level, to boot) cannot be constrained to the meager lifetime of humanity!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the CASUR's method of propulsion, as it is now, couldn't propel the ship at all.

The act of ejecting the stellar wind would cause the core to accelerate in a negative direction relative to the sails' velocity. Seeing as, due to diffusion, the amount of wind released from the core would be higher than the number of particles that would make contact with the sail, then the core would be the one propelling the CASUR, while the sail actually becomes counterproductive to the end goal of locomotion.

In short, it'd be better if the sails were omitted and the core's stellar wind was to act as a giant thruster.  :)

If I recall correctly, I actually haven't seen a race do that yet. Such a system would be... Interesting.

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2010, 07:37:59 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Reen Ship made in 5000 years? Given the kind of tech we've seen in the Galaxy for races of this level, it doesn't seem that ludicrous to have an immobile "homeworld" of that size.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2010, 08:05:52 am »
The size argument began when someone called out that the CASUR was 1 AU in diameter.

As for my locomotion argument, it has more to do with stellar sails than size.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2010, 08:38:22 am »
Well, It really doesn't come down to technology level to build something huge. Just look at the Pyramids! I think that something huge really just comes down to the time you have to produce it.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2010, 10:01:24 am »
Exactly my thought. As long as he keeps it as an immobile homebase, I don't see much of a problem with it.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2010, 10:23:49 am »
     That's the thing. It ISN'T immobile. He's saying his race build a fully functional spacecraft 1 Astronomical Unit in size, powered by a star housed in a gigantic friggin oversized nuclear reactor, and that the solar winds generated by this star propel the vehicle, and that they did it in between 2000-5000 years (I've seen both numbers, don't know which one's correct). THIS. CRAFT. IS. IMPOSSIBLE. In order to build a craft one astronomical unit in size, IF you could somehow do it without violating the laws of PHYSICS, you would be harvesting the planets around you as resources. THE WHOLE PLANET, down the core, and even solidifying the core for resources. What you need to realize is that an Astronomical Unit is about 149,597,870.7 kilometers. 149,597,870.7 kilometers! To give you a scale, that's aproximate to over the size of 10 earths! So you would need to multiply the earth's gravitational pull, 1G x 10, and imagine the result. And the fact of the matter is that 1 AU is equal to, according to numbers crunched using my comp's calculator, 23455.2948730009407337723427093 Earths. So, do the math. The ship would have 23455.2948730009407337723427093G's worth of gravitational pull, according to what I know about gravitation of stellar bodies. So, that means almost anything except perhaps a black hole would get suckered against this thing by it's insane gravitation, if it's mass wasn't great enough to turn it into a black hole itself. Not only that, plotting a course would be nearly impossible without hitting planets, stars, and other stellar bodies. AND, on top of all these already heavy issues, you have the fact that something that big is going to be simply a big bullseye for any enemy ship. It'd be impossible to miss the target.
     For example, if this thing was in orbit of a Photos planet (even though it's impossible due to it's gravitation, the planet would orbit the ship) and attempting an invasion. The planet has several Anti-orbital Cannons (which, though no actual file on this particular weapon has been made, it's a gigantic-scale plasma weapon powerful enough to destroy any ship up to about a destroyer in one shot, and the shot generates an EMP. And there are always 2-4 on a planet when they are present.) The Anti-orbital cannons would chain fire, one after the other after the other after the other, and rip this thing to pieces. Normally, they're pretty inacurate, but due to the CASUR's size, they have no problem hitting it. Do you see my point now?

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2010, 10:50:38 am »
I knew that. The scale might be atrocious but the concept isn't that off. He just needs to shrink it. The whole "Super-Ancient Mach-Structure" is pretty good; he probably just got carried away.(Either that or it's density is REALLY low.)

Offline art_is_a_mathform

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2010, 02:21:28 pm »
The original idea was that it was mostly hollow. It would be fragile and mostly defenseless. The only propulsion would be core exhaust, sent through the sail more to lap up any residual energy than to actually propel it. There weren't any warp drives. No real steering or agility. I hadn't really ever explained it in depth.

But I digress. I'll reduce the size and revise the design. Please wait.

Because I haven't met my snideness quota for the day, I'll leave this here:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxY8lpYAUM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxY8lpYAUM</a>
Quote from: Carl Sagan
One of the great revelations of the age of space exploration is the image of the earth finite and lonely...

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2010, 06:40:49 pm »
Yeah, you guys would seriously think a craft of that magnitude would be SOLID? Ha!

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2010, 07:47:45 pm »
Yeah, you guys would seriously think a craft of that magnitude would be SOLID? Ha!
-_-
He never said otherwise, and when someone is generally talking about a spaceship, then it's generally not hollow. If you're gonna have so much open space, then what's the point of even making it that big? That's like- well, no offense, but that's so dumb that I can't think of an appropriate compairison. That's like, "Do you WANT it to get shot down?!?".

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2010, 08:07:58 pm »
Just to clear things up, my only contention is with the sails, because they're pretty much redundant.

The only propulsion would be core exhaust, sent through the sail more to lap up any residual energy than to actually propel it.

I don't recall that from the initial explanation.  :-\

Also...

*Picture can't seem to load here so I just made a link: http://i.imagehost.org/download/0288/Propulsion

Hope this helps explain it.  :)

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2010, 08:30:20 pm »
Maybe the sail accelerates the wind somehow?