Author Topic: Reen - The Servercrabs  (Read 8058 times)

Offline art_is_a_mathform

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
Re: Reen - The Servercrabs
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 07:37:37 pm »
Once again, I hate to double post, but the original will exceed the 20000 character ceiling with the following update:

Tools
All drones carry around a few standard tools. These range from simple mechanical tools (drills, arc cutters, nail guns, screw- and magnetdrivers, etc.) to the more complicated examples outlined below.

"Surgeon"
The surgeon is a collapsible device held within the drone's hand-hangar. The surgeon is shaped like a thin mushroom. It features a hovering ability similar to the hands, and opens to reveal a variety of, as you might guess, surgical instruments connected to thin, spindly arms. It operates automatically, with its own simple mind. While some of its tools are useful for repairing machinery or other tasks, it is primarily used in the "cataloging" of organics. It is not equipped with anesthetics.

"Eyes"
The eye is a detachable machine that does two things: hover and provide sensory input. Controlled by the Reen remotely, it provides a much more mobile, though even more fragile, presence.

"Child"
Every drone has six smaller spider-like drones called children. Children are automated, but take directions from the Reen. They are used to perform simple tasks a Reen may be too busy to carry out itself. It can also be used to carry small loads or interface with other machines.

"Invader"
The invader is a fang-shaped implement that can be connected to other machines and puts out the Overmind pathogen. Machines corrupted by the pathogen are made into terminals of the hivemind and can be directly controlled by Overmind.

Vehicles
"Infiltrator"
The I is a sort of capsule that houses a single Reen. Its shape resembles a sword's blade. The I is capable of latching onto structures using powerful magnets. It is also very stealthy and nearly impossible to detect due to its small size (roughly 3 meters). It has a quick warpdrive, but slow sublight engines. Has no weapons or cargo room.

"Scout"
The S model is a three-sided pyramid; the point of the pyramid is the front of the ship. Two large engines extend out the back. At each point of the pyramid's base connects to a Reen. The ship has fast warp and sublight speeds, but weak armor and no weapons.

" Light Transport"
The LT is a simple vessel intended to move up to ten Reen to a specific point very quickly, and the pull them back out. It resembles a fish skeleton, with a long spine. Think of the Reen passengers as five ribs on each side, kept outside in space. The tail is an array of six plasma engines arranged in a flower-like nacelle. The head resembles an arrowhead, long and thin, tapering to a point. The LT is fast and maneuverable, but has no weapons or cargo room. It cannot stay deployed for long periods of time without running out of Reenon.

"Medium Transport"
MT model ships are largely the same as LTs, but carry 20 drones and have a relatively large, cube-shaped cargo hold near the tail. The head is larger as well, housing improved sensors. Unlike the LT, the drones are not exposed to space; there is a layer of armor covering the craft. Each side also features ten medium laser artillery turrets. In case the ship is damaged, each drone is encased in an individual escape pod. The cargo hold can be ejected as well.

"Heavy Transport"
HT ships are capable of carrying 50 drones, arranged in a 5x10 grid. The ship is covered in heavy armor. Both sides feature 20 large laser artillery turrets, and the head features three rail guns. While it moves slowly, it is very durable (as far as transports go).

"Frigate"
The F model features no pilot inside. Instead, the drone uploads its consciousness into the frigate before it disembarks. The shape is sleek and aerodynamic, but ultimately skeletal. It relies on two fixed gatling lasers for protection. Features medium armor and fast speeds.

"Destroyer"
An intermediate between the F model frigate and the C model cruiser, the D is meant to hunt down smaller targets harassing larger Reen ships. Heavy armor but very fast. Large beam laser turrets bristle like quills from the hull. Like the Frigate, the pilot uploads its mind into the D before it leaves base.

"Cruiser"
Shaped like some giant bird of prey, the C class is slow and lumbering. It ideally follows the Reen tactic of completely glassing the enemy, and is not meant for ship-to-ship combat. It features "glasser" cannons on each side and is heavily armored.

"Battleship"
The B is the Reen counter to enemy capital ships. Fitted with large rail guns that rip into enemy armor, the B keeps range at attacks from afar. Slow, heavily armored.

"Dreadnought"
The second-largest Reen fleet ship, the DN is a complete gunboat, capable of both close-range and long-range combat. Some are fitted for attacking enemy ships while others are meant for glassing; the DN is easily the most efficient glasser in the Reen fleet. It is almost indestructible, but also unbearably slow and almost impossible to maneuver.

"Mothership"
The largest ship of the line. Massive, hulking, and skeletal, the M is fit with two glassers. However, its primary purpose is to carry thousands of unmanned "sweepers" with different roles, from salvage, combat and scanning. The M is much faster than the D, but not nearly as durable. It typically sits back pumping out sweepers until the battle is over, then joins in on the glassing.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
One of the great revelations of the age of space exploration is the image of the earth finite and lonely...

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 02:35:00 am »
Looking good so far.

Though, I have to ask: How "indestructible" is the DN? Specifically, how many nukes/LASERs/kinetics can it withstand on average? :)

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 01:33:06 pm »
Though, I have to ask: How "indestructible" is the DN? Specifically, how many nukes/LASERs/kinetics can it withstand on average? :)

Well, maybe "indestructible" was a poor choice of words. Just consider extra durable compared to the average ship of its size/type. It is totally covered in armor, with rows of guns sticking out like spines. The tradeoff is extreme speed loss; top speed is less than 50 m/s.

Also, there's a poorly constructed MSPaint mock-up of a drone in the original post!
One of the great revelations of the age of space exploration is the image of the earth finite and lonely...

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 03:55:54 pm »
I made a sort of 3D "sketch" of the Reen from your plan:
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 01:30:27 am »
I made a sort of 3D "sketch" of the Reen from your plan:

That's awesome. The only things I'd change are that it's generally lower to the ground, the body is longer and thinner, and the antennae are just wires. I love how you did the feet.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 03:24:35 am »
Three thumbs up! :)

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • Where did this fish come from?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 07:05:03 am »
Ok, Overmind is rampant. Never leave your AIs alone for several thousand years. As for ships. . . Well, its likely going to take a armada to take these guys head-on
In space, no one can hear you scream unless your transmitting it on the right radio frequency.

Weird City: Add a inhabitant!, Add some industry!

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 04:00:24 pm »
Ok, Overmind is rampant. Never leave your AIs alone for several thousand years. As for ships. . . Well, its likely going to take a armada to take these guys head-on

Well, I'd say it's more of a design flaw with Overmind rather than rampancy (I looked that up on your Halopedia! That's a Halo term!). He more or less started suffocating his creator species while relatively young.

As for ships, they have relatively few of them. Their strategy is have a few really heavy, slow ships rather than lots of crap ships. It's the same thing as the Protoss philosophy as compared to the zerg. Quality over quantity. At the "first contact" point they're at now, they probably only have enough ships to successfully glass one planet at a time - but that leaves all other holdings undefended!

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 04:15:45 pm »
Well, if they're going to try and take over the universe, hes gonna have to deal with the Tri-Wexxian Empire and the Nameless Empire, not to mention all the other intergalactic empires. Overmind has a long way ahead of him/it.
In space, no one can hear you scream unless your transmitting it on the right radio frequency.

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 04:23:49 pm »
Well, if they're going to try and take over the universe, hes gonna have to deal with the Tri-Wexxian Empire and the Nameless Empire, not to mention all the other intergalactic empires. Overmind has a long way ahead of him/it.

A long road can be walked at any pace when time is no longer a constraint.

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 04:36:59 pm »
You mean time travel, don't you?

Offline SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
  • Blood for the Blood God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 04:43:40 pm »
More like the Overminds got a lot of time...
Quote from: The Evil Overlords Handbook
30. All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic relief.

• Phoenix Fighter
  • so sincere right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 05:43:09 pm »
You mean time travel, don't you?

Incorrect.

More like the Overminds got a lot of time...

Correct.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2010, 11:30:48 pm »
I just have one thing to say. They're awesome, but I have a problem with their ship. There's no way that they can build a ship that A)encompasses a STAR, and B) is, according to you, 1 AU in size. I said that my race, the Shadow's worldship (the Fear) was the size of 1 1/4 Earths, and everyone blew a hissy fit. And mind you, they had, minus other projects and such, eons to work on the Fear. I find it hard to believe that these guys could build a ship 1 AU in size within a 2000 year period. Sorry. I don't mean to seem as if I'm coming down hard, but that's how you learn, it happened to me too. I know, it's a little late, I never bothered to read about these guys given they weren't active in RP's. But other than my one issue with the scale of that one ship, I think these guys are great.
And P.S.: I'd reccomend not doing all those spoilers. There's really no point, it makes it hard to read. Which brings me to my other point. If I overlooked something, it's probably because of the spoilers.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2010, 11:42:15 pm »
Hell, I don't even think the Nauceans had anything that big, and they're the most technologically advanced race on the board to date. Sorry art, but you need to scale that ship down, bigtime. I mean, MABE the housing the star part, and engines and such, but 1 AU? Do you realize that scale? In fact, I'm pretty sure a ship that size would break AT LEAST 1 law of physics. A ship that scale's mass would be so great it would collapse in on itself.