Author Topic: Voyage of the Sidereal Hour  (Read 26312 times)

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
Re: Voyage of the Sidereal Hour
« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2010, 09:30:47 pm »
Yas breathed deeply as he tried to calm down.  The smell of burnt hair hung around him, it could have been from the fiery explosion or the red hot rage over the rest of the carnage they were unable to stop.  He forced a smile as the doors opened.

"I don't care how covert the mission is, I'm bringing the good ammo next time."
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2010, 06:43:50 am »
Terik fummed silently as he stepped off the transport.  He had been mostly silent since their escape.  Wordlessly he stormed off towards his office to contemplate the day's happenings.  Asglot would get his, Terik would make sure of it.  Nobody made a fool of him.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2010, 10:26:23 am »
Kean sighed as he stepped out of the shuttle. During the flight the adrenaline in his blood has been metabolized and now he was just tired. Kean didn't feel like talking to anyone after the mission and went straight to his room.

Unsurprisingly, he still found the room as he left it, unarranged. But instead of unpacking his stuff, he let himself sink into his bed and fell asleep.
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 30, 2010, 11:16:10 am »
"If that was the first mission, then I wonder what mission two will be like!" Khalendin said. "I know what mine will be; going to the cafeteria..." He never did make it there, instead just going to his room, and studying the rifle he had acquired down there. "The gun that could have killed public enemy number one..." Khalendin said. And instead of going to sleep, he set off to work at his computer. Searching on every possible weapon topic he could find, that he didn't already know about. If this gun couldn't kill public enemy number one, he would be sure that it would next time they met.

And he was sure they would again.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 30, 2010, 03:05:14 pm »
Hay stood shell-shocked, all of that work all of that suffering, for nothing. "Three planets destroyed, billions of people who would never know the sweet air of the warp, would never explore beyond their prison of a home world. She sat wondering, did they laugh play fear, were there those on the worlds who looked up at the skies and wondered about the above as she did? Three entire cultures, and quintillions of species smote in its infancy all for profit." It was at this moment that she made a solemn vow, on the scared tree of her ancestors she would kill Asglot el'Irk. That she promised.

"Dauţuz tō Asglot!"

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #140 on: June 30, 2010, 05:02:10 pm »
Zori sat quietly in her room and stared down at her mended leg. She'd spent the last few hours on the line with her therapist and a DiRossi censor. It had been a harrowing experience and she wasn't sure how long it would take to sort everything out. What she did know though, was that she wanted to stay on board. She needed to see the criminal brought to justice. Turning on the evening news, the only thing Zori could find that even remotely mentioned Asglot's deeds was a massive spike in the value of the fuel sector's stock. Other than that there were no names, no places, and no mention of the countless billions that had died. All that mattered was the money. Disgusted, she turned the news off and crouched in an empty corner of the room. The lights dimmed and Faiclori adventurer went to sleep.

Offline SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
  • Blood for the Blood God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 30, 2010, 05:23:39 pm »
Even a blabber droid like R5 could see that no one was in the mood to talk after they had returned to the Sidereal Hour, the reasons seemed logical enough, they saved one world yet lost three others, but still, the droids mind could not truly wrap around just how much a loss like that could affect an organic. Exiting the shuttle the droid (still clutching its fallen arm) headed straight for the maintenance bay to repair its self.

R5 was making several final touches to its newly repaired arm, a few final sparks from his tool and finally his repairs where complete, but his physical damage was the least of his concern…

That “feeling” was that what organics called it? Truly R5 could not find a proper word for it, other than perhaps glitch or fluke. Still, he had somehow gone way past his limits back on the planet when he was disarming Asglots death trap of a mining operation, and it seemed like more than just his self preservation programs that made it possible…. Nah…

//Run Self Diagnostic: Search for Errors

Diagnostic Complete: No Errors Detected//

R5 decided to check twice, maybe he was still somehow malfunctioning… or something…

//Run Self Diagnostic: Search for Errors

Diagnostic Complete: No Errors Detected//

R5 was having a hard time believing his own results, but for now he would simply default to his programming, he could sort this out later anyway. Picking up the repair tool he was using before he began to finish up a few cracks and carbon scoring that he missed.
Quote from: The Evil Overlords Handbook
30. All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic relief.

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2010, 07:58:20 pm »
Irkkuf had returned to his comfort zone, doing what he did best: making the inside of a ship spotless. He was pretty sure he wasn't going to be selected for mission two, but he still hoped. However, he had seen one major change: Asglot was going to get his. He had to die, no exceptions. but Irkkuf wouldn't kill him instantly. Using 6,000 pounds of weight, the crustaean would crush Asglot's ribs slowly, restraining any appendages. Slowly, Asglot would feel every ounce of pain he had caused the entire team.
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2010, 12:05:37 pm »
ADVISOR ticked away in its own section of the ship's dataspace, as it always did. It quietly compiled its mission analysis of the Stidurbian affair while simultaneously dealing with the umpteen tasks for which it was responsible, assisting ship personnel with queries, updating starcharts, backing up vital files and purging its own databanks of incorrect or superfluous information. However, a small corner of its processing power had been set aside to worry. Worrying did not come naturally to machines, generally, even ones with personality cores. But ADVISOR quietly worried none the less, something about the encounter with Asglot and the HQ override which ADVISOR had been subject to didn't feel right.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2010, 04:18:12 pm »
In the construction lab where R5 was working, Hay entered. "Hey R5 if you're not too busy, I could use some help." "I just made a blood oath so I'm going to need some extra oomph." She took her Stingers of her wrists and handed them to R5. "Think you can pump them up?"

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2010, 10:32:19 pm »
The line to the Sidereal Hour crew switched off and the mysterious woman stood up from her desk. A large floor-to-ceiling window looked out onto a wall of water that seemed to be tumbling down from the sky and off into oblivion. Her office was sparsely furnished but what was there appeared to be beyond top of the line and ultra-sleek. A small, round coffee table in the center of the office had a hologram of Earth hovering lazily above it. On either side of the room, seemingly etched into the walls were doors. The woman walked toward the door to the right of her desk and stepped out onto a porch overlooking a sandy beach. A set of stairs spiraled down to the warm and welcoming water but the woman ignored them. Instead, she laid down on a lounge chair and lit a cigarette. An ice cold drink was set down on the table next to her and she looked up.

"You're late..."

Standing nearby was a middle-aged Kratair and a slender humanoid automaton. The Kratair disregarded the woman and wandered over to the railing but the automaton held its ground and chuckled.

"My dear Fred, you know as well as I do that I'm never late. You're just early... so wasteful!"

The woman, Fred, smiled and motioned for the automaton to sit down. As she sipped her drink, the Kratair turned his head.

"What's the status on the Sidereal Hour project? I heard the mission was a failure. How many are left?"

"You'll be happy to know that everyone survived the mission! The Faiclori got a skinned knee but otherwise things seemed to have gone well. Though they did fail to reclaim the power core and Asglot managed to get away. So much for the bounty. We'll have to wait on the acquisition. Oh, and some of the natives got fragged. Acceptable losses. The Stridurbans were a good choice, Seffan. They're quite resilient, more so than the other three potential races."

Seffan, the Kratair grunted with approval and returned his gaze to the picturesque sea before speaking.

"They are a strong race. Not like the others. The Iipthon were too rash. The Mua were brainless. And the Queai... pathetic. In the end it had to be the Stridurbans. Moreover, we've gotten the proof we need that our inroads into Asglot's organization are bearing fruit. The power cores used on all four planets have been traced. Turns out they were in fact the ones we sold to Asglot four years ago. So that's another one we can chalk up as a success. Seems that this Sidereal Hour gamble is paying off extraordinarily well."

"Yeah, though I didn't expect them all to survive. That's just a bonus! Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside."

The automaton laughed as he spoke and took a sip of the woman's drink. It let out a long sigh and clasped its hands together.

"For now though, I think we need to let the Sidereal Hour do a few missions from our freelance contractors. Give them some time to get comfortable before we hit them with another test. Anyway, I've need to follow up on the Siaco Investments angle. Need to make sure we're staying ahead of the curve. The agent is ready to infiltrate... just have to add some fuel to the fire to make things interesting and believable. You know? I'm thinking maybe trouble in paradise. It's going to be great!"

Eyes full of wonder, the automaton stood up and clapped its hands. The Kratair merely waved his hand with indifference and continued his pensive gaze. After finishing Fred's drink, the automaton bowed and left to take care of its business. Closing her eyes, the woman breathed deep of the ocean air and fell into a relaxed sleep. Everything was going flawlessly.

End of Arc I

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 06, 2010, 01:07:31 pm »
Arc II
Resurgence

Myrinoi, a verdant, forested world, inhabited by the Phaí. Formerly, like thousands of other worlds, they were unassuming members of the Galactic Senate, rarely involved in what would be deemed history-making decisions. However, for currently unknown reasons, they have decided to secede from the Senate. As is standard procedure, a team of diplomats has been dispatched to persuade the Phaí to reconsider their move.

Sidereal Hour has been asked to oversee the proceedings, being the closest non-Senate ship with both a resident diplomat and a proper amount of fire-power, should things turn ugly.

Inya was seated in her quarters, alone, the only light in the room being provided by the small holo-screen before her. Over and over again, she watched the degraded feed of the destruction of three planets, tinted green by her display's limited color range. All three had been torn apart by Asglot's mining operations, and all three had been inhabited. She reminded herself that that number could have been four, that they had done all they could, but she was still on the verge of losing her otherwise calm composure and devolving into a sputtering, hateful string of curses. Finally, she forced herself to deactivate the display, and in the resulting darkness, she relaxed, the silence broken by only the occasional sigh. She was going to have to remain as composed and stable as she could, at least until the Myrinoi crisis had been resolved.

There has been no retaliation...
No colonies?
Did we win?
There has been no retaliation...
Or has there?
NO! There is no contamination!
They are gone...
We survive...
And we continue...

A single ship responds to the unheard conclusion, its crew already certain of what needs to be done...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 01:23:51 pm by Darth Grievi »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2010, 02:09:25 pm »
Of in a quiet corner of one of the starboard lounges, Zori sat with a tablet in her hands. She was working through the latest issue of The Galactic Profit, a popular business magazine. Her objective was to figure out who she was working for. If the first mission had been any indication, things far bigger than she could comprehend were happening and that necessitated an investigation. As she thought it, Zori realized that she hadn't actually considered who she was working for when she signed up. The DiRossi Experimental Science Concern was a foreign entity as far as she was concerned. They operated mostly through subsidiaries and even those were strange. What did Hazzazaf Energy Supplement have to do with space exploration and stopping criminals? It was all very strange.

Details about the exact nature of DiRossi were few and far between. It wasn't the kind of company that published its day-to-day dealings. Zori was able to figure out who the head honchos were though. And she had a fairly good idea about who had been talking them over the intercom during the first mission. Her name was Frederika Laas, a human, and she was a veteran of the banking sector. Working alongside her were two equally-shady characters. Seffan Dretch, a Kratair, was a retired general who had been in charge of an elite special operations unit. And then there was Terry... some sort of highly-advanced robot who otherwise existed in name only. It was a motley crew; and for better or worse they seemed to have some amount of control over the fates of the people on board the Sidereal Hour. With a sigh, Zori placed the tablet on the cushion beside her and stared out a large window.

Their next mission had been handed down earlier in the day. They were going in as a neutral party to help moderate some kind of Senate negotiation. It was definitely a nice change of pace.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 06, 2010, 06:16:21 pm »
"Something on your mind, Zori?" asked ADVISOR, through a nearby speaker. Following the Asglot incident ADVISOR had noticed a severe dip in crew morale and an increase in sullen behaviour and general mopyness. As part of its directive to ensure proper ship functions, the AI was required to talk the crew to assess their mental states. A task it found rather bothersome but was compelled to do regardless.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2010, 06:22:30 pm »
"Ah... a few things on my mind, ADVISOR. I've been talking to my therapist a lot though. But..."

Zori looked around to see if anyone was nearby. She was in the clear, though ADVISOR was probably loaded with monitoring gizmos.

"Well, I guess I'm just a little concerned about the people running this thing. I'm not a fan of being thrown into what amounts to a game for someone else to watch and judge. It's my fate and I'm in control of it. I don't want somebody else determining whether I live or die. Especially a trio of people with less-than-savory reputations... who aren't listening... I hope. Heh..."

With an audible sigh of discomfort, Zori looked down at the floor.