Author Topic: Voyage of the Sidereal Hour  (Read 26306 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Voyage of the Sidereal Hour
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2010, 05:50:04 am »
"Away team. This is ADVISOR." came the voice of the computer in their earpieces. "I am standing by to provide remote mission assistance. But I'm sure fully grown and intelligent space heroes like yourselves won't be needing anything like that."

The computer paused for a second and then continued.

"The Stidurba are currently at an early industrial stage of their development, what some civilisation theorists call the 'planet-rape phase'. Their economy is centered on resource gathering and byproduct-intensive production by machines supplemented with slave, and poorly compensated labour. Recent colonial expansion has seen them use their relatively superior mechanical tension based bolt-casting weapons to subjugate indigenous populations on the further continents from the main growth site. The primary religion in the region of the capital city stresses ancestor worship and involves ritual humiliation as a sacred rite. Please bear this in mind so as not to commit any faux pas the way these sorts of away teams usually do. Oh, and don't eat the food unless you are absolutely certain you are biochemically able to."
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 07:05:41 am by Krakow Sam »
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2010, 06:27:52 am »
"Acknowledged ADVISOR.  We'll keep you posted." Terik said quietly into his communicator so as not to gain the attention of any of the natives.  He was not sure who the AI had been talking with, but he'd have to see to something being done about that sarcastic tone the computer had picked up.

As the ranking security officer on the mission, Terik was considerably better armed than his cohorts, a standard issue combat rifle slinged across his back and lightweight armor protecting most of his torso.  Looking at the rest of the ground team, he silently wondered what moron had chosen this ridiculous bunch for a ground mission.  A protocol droid?  A custodian?  He also wondered why they had deigned to send two other of his security team down with them.  Perhaps there was more that they knew about that they had not told them.

He waved away the thought as he located their heading on his HUD.  "Alright team." he said sternly.  "We're here to get a job done.  Let's get moving to the objective, do what we came here to do, and get off the backwards rock."
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2010, 08:42:39 am »
Inya watched carefully as a small group of Stridurba walked past in the near distance. From the looks of it, they hadn't noticed their presence at all, even as fellow citizens, and continued on their way completely unaware of anything beyond their comrades. It was a good sign, to say the least.

ADVISOR finished his briefing, and she considered forgoing "standard protocol" and relying on her own abilities to blend in instead of the silvery disk strapped to her suit. To put things bluntly, she didn't trust it to survive the mission. A stray projectile? A splash of some corrosive acid? A pulse of radiation? She knew these devices had been tested and retested hundreds of times, almost certainly by quite competent individuals who thought of every possibility, but she couldn't help but worry. The thing looked so delicate...

However, she lost her chance to make the decision, as the rest of the away team had already begun to move off. If nothing else, this mission would hopefully give her more confidence in the technology.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2010, 01:24:16 pm »
Surveying the small slice of Stridurban society around her, Zori began to feel a sense of foreboding. ASVISOR hadn't done much to help, either. For the first time, Zori was struck with the thought that maybe she wasn't cut out to help people on the ground. And looking at the Stridurbans, she wasn't entirely sure they were the types that would take kindly to help. Not that it mattered much, it was illegal for her to interfere with such a primitive race under normal circumstances. Terik's stern command snapped Zori out of her trance. She focused back on the mission and spoke to the others quietly.

"They said we were supposed to follow the marker on our comm units. That must be what this yellow arrow is. We're supposed to go... that way?"

She looked off to the group's right toward what had to be an industrial district. Thick, black smoke was billowing out of chimneys and openings in the ground. The sky was entirely blocked out all roads going in disappeared into darkness after only a few yards. Beyond that, a few giant lamps could be seem lighting the path but otherwise the view was obscured.

Elsewhere, deep within the veil of smoke, several elites stood around a table. They were discussing strange things that normal Stridurban elites would never discuss. Things like flight and rapid communications, things that the Stridurba had no grip on. And even in a room filled with such strange people, one in particular seemed a bit different than the others. Whether it was the way he carried himself or the fact that he always seemed to have a green hat on, he just seemed different. And it was that notion that attracted others to him. He was about to say something when a concerned look crossed his face. Excusing himself, the Stridurba in the green hat left the room and wandered down an empty corridor. He went up a flight of stairs and through several doors before coming to a stop at a blank wall. With a wave of his hand, the wall fell away and he stepped into an altogether different room that was lined with screens displaying feeds from all across the city and beyond. Several lights were flashing urgently and he tended to them immediately. In a matter of moments he was watching a replay of a carriage rolling into town. With a few more button presses, the image changed to a live shot of the Sidereal Hour team.

"Apply compound refractory filter..."

The Stridurba stepped back from the monitor in shock and annoyance as the team's disguises melted away to reveal their true forms. He cursed under his breath and began entering commands into a console. After a few moments of feverish typing, he spoke into a communicator.

"Asglot here. It seems as though someone from the outside has gotten wind of what we're doing here. If you want the great Stridurban race to ascend into the heavens, you will stop them. Transmitting their location now."

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2010, 03:18:38 pm »
With Terik near the front of the group, Yas fell to the back, fairly sure the diplomats would forget to look behind them.  The disguises seemed to work so far.  Figuring out how his large bipedal frame was  being disguised as one of these gray quadrupeds was beyond his pay scale, but he was sure the illusion wouldn't last long if one of these creatures tried to pick a pocket that wasn't there.  As Yas walked his hands were never far from the two oversized handguns at either side.  They were primitive, but they should get the job done if things get bad.  And if things got really bad, Yas had a few other things up his sleeves that would completely break the illusion that he was just an unusually tall Stridurban.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
  • Blood for the Blood God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2010, 03:35:49 pm »
R5 looked at the small spherical disk like device that was installed on his “chest” area, the technicians apparently had thought ahead and made a version that could be easily installed on and off for the droid.

Looking around at the dark, dusty, and generally primitive and decrepit city was no real surprise for R5, his true far more “colorful” life had taken him to so many dark alleys and streets that he practically knew their general structure like his oldest programs. Still, inside the droid was making rapid calculations and recalculations, he had not expected this; he had not expected to actually have to physically touch down on the planet with the rest of the group, this brought a whole new set of problems.

//Recalculating: Probability of discovery of primary function 39%//

R5 was still not satisfied with those odds, there where countless variables to account for but he would have to worry about those later, better to appear optimistic anyway.

Then Zori spoke of the beacon which they were supposed to be following, seeing as that for now seemed to be their only lead R5 decided to simply agree to that statement, that and the droid could not help but add his own words to the equations.

"Agreed. Considering that beacon is our only lead I suggest we do the obvious and simply follow for now."
Quote from: The Evil Overlords Handbook
30. All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic relief.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2010, 03:40:35 pm »
"I've not seen architecture and tech this old outside of a museum in my life! Whoa!" Khalendin said. Though it sounded genuine, he really couldn't be bothered to look away from a small recording device he brought with him, which was busy mapping away the planet. Another to add to his collection, he thought. "Man, can these suits get any more uncomfortable?" He grumbled. They fir fine, in actuality, but the fact that he was wearing his heavy jacket, which added several inches of thickness to him, meant that he wan packed in so tight he was certain that if he had any major blood vessels near the surface of his skin that their flow would stop and he'd die. "And I didn't get to finish my sandwich."
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2010, 04:24:20 pm »
Irkkuf strode quietly along the rest of the group, seeming a bit nervous. He was silenced by his own thoughts.
"What if they find out we're not from here? What if R5 goes ballistic? What if there's no liquid ammonia here? If I start chafing, I'll give away the whole group! Oh man, oh man, oh man!"
"...No! I've gotta hold myself together!" he mumbled to himself.
He proceeded to ready the small pistol he had grabbed from the armory in case trouble arose. He was also more than ready to fight an enemy hand-to-hand. Now he though of what kinds of things the Stridurbans did in their spare time.
"Maybe they play tag with their heads?" he thought.
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2010, 05:15:29 pm »
"Custodian Irkkuff. Stow your sidearm before you do something stupid." came ADVISOR's voice on the Galfibri's personal frequency, sounding more concerned than irritated. "You are not in any danger. The Sidreal Hour is running continuous scans of your area, you will be warned in the unlikely event that... one moment please."

The AI shut off the transmission to the janitor and opened the frequency of the entire planetside group.
"Attention away team. Our analysis of crowd patterns based on orbital monitoring of your location indicate a large number of locals converging directly on your location. They are armed with primitive weapons, including tension based bolt throwers you would term crossbows. Try to lead them into a secluded location where you will not be spotted if your disguises fail. Oh, and try not to get gutted like organics if you can help it, they shouldn't be a match for your technology."

The AI ended the transmission and watched the top-down image being fed from one of the Sidereal Hour's sensor drone's in orbit over the city. A dozen or more Stidurba shrouded in cloaks and carrying barely concealed bows and blades.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2010, 05:25:30 pm »
"Custodian." Terik snapped.  "Stow your sidearm before you..." He was cut off as ADVISOR's message came through to the ground team.  With a quick glance towards the overhead map, he quickly lead the team down a small side street, away from the assumed hostiles.

"Let's stay calm now team." he said with an icy demeanor.  "At this point we do not yet even know if they are here for us or, furthurmore, if they are hostile.  I want all of you to keep your weapons holstered for now.  We will avoid them if we can, and if we encounter them, only engage if they attack."

Offline SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
  • Blood for the Blood God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2010, 07:15:42 am »
While they walked R5 had spent considerable time just looking around, taking every single detail in of both the city and the people, most specifically, how the people acted, his acute machine senses picked up many conversations, getting a feel for metaphors, slang, expressions and generally just learning every little thing he can, at least without actually speaking to any of the residents.

When ADVISOR gave the heads up about the possibility of direct confrontation with hostile forces R5 once again had a silent panic attack, which manifested in more ways than one, particularly at the word “hostile”.

“Hostiles?! Oh dear oh dear. Director of Security Terik I am not designed for combat! Any hostile action I could take would be a direct violation of pacifistic and ethical programming which I do possess!” That was a lie, pure and simple. The droid was also programmed to lie.
Quote from: The Evil Overlords Handbook
30. All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic relief.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2010, 11:30:46 am »
Several of the natives sheared off from the main group that was chasing the Sidereal Hour crew and went inside. They pushed through doors and ran along attic passageways. Their superior knowledge of the city and its innards meant that they could easliy get ahead of the aliens. And as the away team rounded a corner, they found the path forward blocked off by ten Stridurban militiamen with crossbows in hand and swords at their side. One of them shook his sword menacingly and called out to his comrades.

"Boss wants at least one of them alive, said to aim low and to keep shooting. It might not work the first few times."

Without wasting a second, a volley of hardened bolts whizzed toward the team.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2010, 11:40:09 am »
Terik's attention was dragged away from the protocol droid as the mob of natives rounded a corner ahead of them.  Their foreign dialect being translated in almost real time, Terik quickly realized the graveity of their situation, shoving the droid out of his way as the bolts whizzed by him and glanced off his armor.

Pulling out the primitive sidearm that he had for simple encounters like this, he raised it quickly with the skill of someone who had done this sort of thing his whole life and pegged one of the aliens square in the chest.

"Security team!" he shouted.  "Front and center!"

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2010, 01:29:28 pm »
Pushing the smaller members of the team behind him, Yas stepped forward and in a flash drew the two sidearms.  One shot hit a Stridurban in the torso, another was hit in the head.  The stupid weapons only held one shot at a time, but he reloaded quickly.  For a moment he wondered how the cloaking device would handle the motion of reloading two weapons with four arms.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2010, 01:43:53 pm »
Inya stayed towards the back of the group, keeping an eye out to make certain they weren't ambushed from behind while the security team dealt with the attackers ahead. Though she didn't feel quite comfortable with letting the confrontation continue, she couldn't think of anything that would call off the hostiles without further compromising their plans. Judging by what their leader had said, they'd been ordered to attack, almost certainly by someone who had an idea of who, and what, they were. Hopefully, that meant their target...