Author Topic: Voyage of the Sidereal Hour  (Read 25564 times)

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
Re: Voyage of the Sidereal Hour
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 08:35:24 pm »
Inya paused momentarily to look back at the droid that had addressed her. Judging by its standardized message, it was likely newly built, without any customized personality modules or whatever they were called. She'd be lying if she said that she had any sort of real experience with such manufactured machines. Unlike any number of her more technologically oriented crew-mates, even the serial number it rattled off held no significance to her beyond just that, a serial number. In the end, though, it wouldn't hurt to be polite to the thing, even if it might only be a simple automaton and about as self-aware as a rock. The chance of it actually having some semblance of feelings to hurt wasn't worth it.

"Greetings, R5. Unfortunately, I'm not in need of your services. However, if you are not in the process of executing an order, you are welcome to converse with me if you wish."

She had no idea what she was getting into...

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 01:39:20 pm »
Kean was staring through the monitor. He was one of the first on the ship as he was responsible for installing all the software that will be helpful during the exploration missions. And yet, he was the last to actually unpack most of his bags and examine his appartement. He was too excited to do unproductive stuff like that. His thoughts started to wander around: What is he going to see? New races? New Cultures? New languages to study. He became so excited, that he was pulled back to reality.

Alright, one more application and I'm done...

After he turned off the interface and left the ship's network room, he went down the hall. He was up for almost 36 hours now, he should go to bed, even though he wasn't tired at all. At the very least he should arrange his appartement: This will be his home for the next years.

He wondered what the new arrivals were doing and took a look at his watch. They must have just finished the equipment demonstration. Maybe he would meet someone of them on his way to his appartement.

He didn't know how right he was until he saw an unfamiliar face crossing his way. Kean stopped to greet the person. His appartement could wait.

"Hey, I don't think we know each other yet.", he said with a friendly smile.
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
  • Blood for the Blood God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 01:41:52 pm »
Though the droid did not seem to show any type of expression inside R5 was surprised that he did not get a cold soldier or a fanciful SHUT UP from the alien. But of course that may not be forever.

"As of now I have no orders that demand my immediate attention. Inya Olus yes? From the files that I have scanned I take it you are the ships head diplomat? On that note speaking of diplomacy from what I have heard we will be possibly visiting an underdeveloped planet that has yet to achieve any type of effective means of space travel. Is that true? I always through it was against most species ethical standards to interfere with a developing species progress."

Quote from: The Evil Overlords Handbook
30. All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic relief.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 01:52:35 pm »
"We'll do our best to 'lay low', as it were, and keep our presence to a minimum while we study them. To be honest, I might not even be present on such a mission. I was selected in the event that we'd run across something space-faring and we'd have to deal with them directly."

The droid brought up some rather interesting points, which made Inya inclined to believe that it was at least intelligent, if not exactly sapient. Capable of thinking for itself, but not necessarily of itself. That, in her mind, pushed him neatly out of the "it" category and into the "him'... even if he didn't truly have a gender.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 01:59:01 pm »
Terik glared coldy at Kean, his eyes flicking back and forth from his outstretched hand to his face, but never staying still for more than a moment.  After a few short seconds, of contemplation, Terik waved him off and continued on his way down the hallway.

"I don't have time for you right now" he growled, "I have important work to attend to."
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 02:15:53 pm »
Up on the bridge, the ship's Captain was finishing up a discussion with the project manager. He was a seasoned veteran, a war hero back on his home planet. Working on the exploration vessel was a fine retirement as far as he saw it. And now that their first real mission had just been handed down, he could feel the thrill of it beginning to return to his body. The away team had already been selected and preparations were being made for the drop. As soon as the team was assembled and briefed, things would get rolling. A soft ping came through the ship's PA system and the Captain spoke.

"Alright kids, looks like our first official mission is underway. Take a moment to check your ID badges. If you see the pulsing blue light, you're on the away team this time around. You're going to be investigating a developing civilization that's somewhere around its industrial stage. It's a Class Zero. Seems their planet has started sending out energy spikes that only happen when you're a Class Two. So either they've made a monumental technological leap or someone is interfering. Away team members are to assemble down in Pod Bay Six. Further details will be given then. That will be all."

Zori paused for a moment in the corridor and listened to the Captain speak. She looked at her ID badge and was delighted to see that she had been chosen. Completely forgetting about that meal she had been so interested in, Zori hurried off toward the Pod Bay.

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 03:22:33 pm »
Slightly annoyed at the ignorance of the crewwomen, she gave her a slight stinging with a quick jab in the back of the neck, getting her attention.

"Hey!" "A commanding officer just spoke to you, show some respect."

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 03:37:20 pm »
Finally stubling into his room, Khalendin fell in a heap with all his things spilled out over the floor. An electronic database, a small computer, and a little case of Bino military models. "Aww crap. That's gonna be a problem later." Suddenly, he heard a faint beeping noise. He had forgotten about the ID card, but he guessed what it meant when the message went through the PA system. He couldn't even figure out why they wanted him on the mission. He pulled a little marble Cosmofortress model out of his pocket before he left and inspected it quiclky, and put it back. A little good luck charm. Maybe cartography? "Who knows. Whatever, let's find out!" He said to himself, making his way to the pod bay.

"Maybe I'll grab a snack from the mess hall on the way." He thought to himself, and after inspecting a guide of the ship at a nearby terminal, quickly turned and huried toward the cafeteria.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 04:15:40 pm »
Kean reached out with his hand to open his door just when the captain's message was broadcast through the ship. Quickly he pulled out his ID badge that was hanging from a lanyard around his neck. With mixed feelings he observed the blue light pulsating from the badge. On the one hand he was excited to be chosen for his first mission, on the other hand this means that he had to put off arranging his room for now.

Well, I guess my appartement can wait even longer...

He quickly opened the door to his room and grabbed some things for the mission before heading towards the Pod Bay.
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 04:33:07 pm »
Irkkuf had heard all of the commotion and came to see what was going on. He attempted to strike up a conversation with R5 on the nature of the announcement. Of course, the several-ton crustacean was unable to remember where on his person his ID badge was. He had so many things to carry, including the keys to most of the rooms. After finding the badge, he decided to speak.
"So, R5, exactly what is going on here?"
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
  • Blood for the Blood God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 05:07:04 pm »
R5 was just about to respond to Inya when Irkkut interjected. Turning around the droid responded to the silicon crabs inquiry.

"From what the recent announcement stated I believe the away team has been selected and signaled to report to pod bay six. Regretfully I do not believe I will be joini- The droid suddenly stopped as his singular usually white colored eye suddenly turned blue and began to blink.

"Correction: It appears I will be joining them on the away team."
Quote from: The Evil Overlords Handbook
30. All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic relief.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 05:12:57 pm »
"That makes three of us," Inya noted as she glanced at her own ID, flashing blue in time with R5's eye and Irkkuf's badge.

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 05:52:39 pm »
Noticing his blinking badge, Irkkuf remarked,
"I did not notice that. Thank you, Miss Olus."
Irkkuf then wondered what the mission would be like. Here he was, the ship's custodian, selected for the away team. I felt slightly amused at the prospect, but looked forward to the mission nonetheless. Irkkuf then headed to Pod Bay 6, wanting more than anything not to be late.
"Well, in that case, I'll be heading over! Meet you both there!"
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2010, 07:48:50 pm »
A blinking blue light brought Yas out of his trance.  Exhaling deeply, he picked up the ID and several other items off his table, pulled on a headband, and left his room.  He nodded slightly to the other crew members in the hall as he made his way to the Pod Bay.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 09:10:52 pm »
A short while later...

The away team stood at the ready in Pod Bay 6 with their suits on. Launch was in a few minutes, though the team didn't know it. They were either preoccupied by the new sidearm they had gotten to pick or were busy listening to the team coordinator who was doing the mission briefing.

"Alright folks. We are currently in orbit over HGG-743-22401. I'd give you a name for this hunk of rock but there is none. The planet's inhabitants, the Stridurba, only figured out their world was round a few hundred years ago so that gives you an idea about what we're working with. The Stridurba walk on four legs, have long necks, and are a bit gray. Needless to say, you're going in with disguises on. Don't worry too much about talking, you're basically going in and following the trail on your communicators. But if you need to talk, the translation will happen automatically. We've already got their language logged and categorized. Just try to keep a low profile. They're all business down there in Os, that's the capital city, so you shouldn't be noticed unless you're acting like a fool."

Looking over the group, the coordinator chuckled and entered a few notes into a computer tablet.

"As for what you're going after, we think it's a military-grade power core. The energy signatures coming off of it tell us that the device is outputting several million times what the planet's total output should be at its current stage. That's a big deal. We have no doubt that an off-worlder is down there... we need to know what they're doing and we need to shut it down. You'll each be going down with the sidearm you chose from the armory. Don't use it unless you have to. The higher ups chose you specifically for this so I'm going to have to disregard how unprepared the lot of you look right now. That's all the encouragement you're going to get from me. Get it done. Oh, and hey... don't wave or try to shake hands."

Before anyone could say anything, the coordinator pressed a button on her tablet and the pod door slammed shut. The members of the away team had a few minutes to ponder the detail-deficient briefing as their pod plummeted toward the planet's surface. Nearing the city, the pod turned sharply and zipped along the ground. Activating its camouflage systems, the pod moved slowly through the city for a few minutes before coming to a stop in a large square. The door of what now looked like a typical Stridurban family carriage opened slowly, allowing the team to step out into the hazy, polluted city of Os.