Author Topic: Voyage of the Sidereal Hour  (Read 16737 times)

Offline PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
Voyage of the Sidereal Hour
« on: June 02, 2010, 07:51:17 pm »
Voyage of the Sidereal Hour
-An Experiment in Galactic Travel-

Arc I: Of Orbs and Octane
Arc II: Resurgence

OOC - Information Station

Greetings adventure-seekers! DiRossi Experimental Science Concern welcomes you to the DRE Sidereal Hour. If it was our Scientific Extrapolation Analyzer that chose you or if you bested the competition in the Hazzazaf Energy Supplement heavy lifting contest, the board wants to extend its most sincere congratulations and wishes you good health the journey you are about to begin. Like the non-negotiable contract you signed said, you are given free reign to explore the galaxy and learn as much as you can about whatever you can on board one of civilization's most-advanced ships. In return, you have agreed to allow DRE and its associates to monitor your activities. Additionally, you will be given mission from DRE and it's associates from time to time which you must see through to completion. If you fail to complete your missions you may be ejected from the DRE Sidereal Hour. Don't forget, you are representing not only your species, but galactic civilization as a whole.
And remember our motto: DiRossi's concern is your concern.

Do us proud, adventurers!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 01:09:21 am by Gec »

Offline PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
Re: Voyage of the Sidereal Hour
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 02:48:36 pm »
Arc I
Of Orbs and Octane

"All you do is press it. You won't see it working but it does."

A human technician in a white lab coat was standing before a small group of assorted adventurers. He held a flat circular device above his head so that everyone could see it. For emphasis, he slowly poked the device a few times.

"They are a part of every away team member's safety suit. You press it and your outward appearance changes to look like whichever species you need to look like. Don't ask how it works, there's a lot of computer gadgetry and fuzzy logic involved. All you need to know is that it could save your life, especially on those backwater slums that haven't made it out of the stone age yet. I don't care who you are, getting bashed by a rock will take out anyone if it hits them right, even witches and demon spirits! You should be aware though that these devices won't work on most planets that are 'in the loop', so to speak. So don't think you can go home and pretend to be the Prime Minister. We good? Good."

As the group began to disperse, a human female, slightly shorter-than-average, approached the technician. She crossed her arms and looked at the technician critically.

"I won't see it working but it does? Doesn't that seem a little risky? We have a tale on my home world of a Sta'asa Lord that ran around naked because of foolishness like what you're proposing."

"Let's see... Hezorifo Sseh... 'Zori', for short... Faiclori. The goal was to look human. You look human to me."

The technician was short with his responses, though his gaze lingered. Hastily looking away, he continued to speak.

"Either way, that device was evaluated dozens of times. You see yourself as yourself. Field tests showed that participants using the device performed 30% worse when they had no sense of their own physical presence. So they tweaked it and now the computer fills in the gaps. Here, look."

A screen behind the technician switched to a camera feed showing the human Zori. She moved her arms a bit and flapped her wings, taking note of how the disguise reacted. Satisfied, she switched her disguise off and returned the device.

"Thank you for taking the extra time to explain it to me."

"Yeah. That's my job. Now if you'll excuse me..."

Zori nodded and left the room. She headed off toward the cafeteria to get something to eat.

Elsewhere...

A burst of black smoke shot out of a wrought iron grate in a cobblestone street. The source of the smoke was one of countless engines that kept the wheels of industry turning. A four-legged creature stepped out from the veil of smoke and looked around. He pulled on the brim of his dark green hat and continued into the evening rush. The city was known as Os and had a population of just over 300,000. Its denizens were of the Stridurba species. Their planet had no name, though data banks in various credit agencies listed it as HGG-743-22401. It was just another planet that had yet to even consider its place in the galaxy, outside of a narrow religious context of course. Maybe someday they'd make it to space, maybe not. Either way, space was the last thing on the minds of the Stridurba. New advances in industry and power generation were at the top of the order. Some became wealthy and some remained poor. It was an altogether uninteresting story that would most-likely play itself out like it had a million times before in a million other places.

Darkness had consumed the city. HGG-743-22401's small moon was blotted out by a thick, black haze. The Stridurba in the dark green hat approached a mansion on the far side of a factory compound. He knocked on the door several times before being shown in. Once in the privacy of the master's chambers, he smiled and reached into his pocket.

"Our days in the dark are over, my friend."

Chuckling a bit, he produced a glowing white orb and held it up in the dim candlelight. The factory owner gasped and stared at the foreign object in awe as the room around him filled with the light and warmth of the afternoon sun.

Offline Gnoll

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 04:26:24 pm »
Irkkuf was making his usual rounds, the tentacle-like appendages growing from his shell allowing him to manipulate several implements at once. He had a set order: sweep the floors, then mop them; after that, dust furniture and polish decorations; wax the floors, and finally, empty the trash bins into the incinerator. He had just finished when he realized he had forgotten to oil that charmingly annoying little droid. Oh, wait, the droid did that himself. Nevermind. Irkkuf then went down to the showers to wash himself (and wax his shell), and finally retired for the night.
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Darth Grievi

• Out Run Speedster
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 05:25:28 pm »
Inya strode quietly through the halls of the Sidereal Hour, taking note of anyone she passed. Admittedly, she was supposed to be down at the equipment demonstration, but she found such a notion to be ridiculous. All it had been was a demonstration of whatever bizarre contraption they'd come up with to help the crew blend in with whatever natives they encountered, something she could do easily herself, no such artificial help required. She encountered Irkkuf, the cleaning technician, but the being seemed so engrossed in his work that she decided against striking up a conversation, and simply continued on. Eventually, once the demonstration was over and the halls began to crowd again, she decided to return to her quarters, at least for the moment, until something interesting finally happened.

Offline SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
  • Blood for the Blood God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 05:59:35 pm »
“…Indeed, I am R5 series protocol droid manufactured by Rezoid industries, programmed to facilitate communications. I have cataloged nearly all of the alien cultures of the species aboard this vessel; I also happen to be well programmed to handle certain aspects of both engineering and handling computer systems, such as droid programming and general data management I also…”

The alien technician whom the droid was addressing was beginning to look visibly annoyed as the droid seemed to follow him as he walked about the ship. All he had done was ask the droid whether or not he was one of those new fancy R5 units and then the damn thing began to talk his ears off, after explaining just what his model and function was he began asking questions about the ship, personnel, the other droids… the list just seem to go on and no end seem to be insight.

Still… he could not help but wonder just how they got their hands on an R5 unit; they had supposedly just hit the market, then again no expense was spared for this expedition. He also heard the last protocol droid was destroyed in some unfortunate accident and this was his replacement. Could they not have found one that was quieter?

“…Are you sure there is no way I can serve you?”

The technician’s thoughts where suddenly interrupted by the droids sudden inquiry… finally a chance to make it shut up…

“Uh no… your dismissed R5.”

Without further word the droid left the technician’s presence, its “HUD” began to display data on its screen.

//Infiltration of the vessel “Sidereal Hour” Successful: Hideaway acceptable: Probability of discovery of primary function 15%//

Running the calculations in his head he may have been giving these organics to much credit… still it was good to be careful, as of now he was a protocol droid.

As he walked through the halls he spotted a certain alien, a certain Inya Olus, might as well strike up a conversation to kill time until he was needed.

“Greetings: I am R5-D657394. Is there any way I may serve you today?”

Droid stared at the alien with its singular eye awaiting an order or some response to provoke conversation.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 06:15:28 pm by SimplyNecro »
Quote from: The Evil Overlords Handbook
30. All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic relief.

Offline Lush City

• SunDog Pilot
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 07:56:46 pm »
Making her security rounds while the DoS was busy with his paperwork, Hay zipped through the halls. Recalling her training she scouted out, keeping a look out for any suspicious behavior or activity. Seeing a human female, she aproached her and began to strike up a conversation.

Offline Kitkat

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 04:07:07 pm »
Khalendin was late getting to the ship. He had carried all of his things with him, a dozen bags stuffed full of the parts to build a desk and table, a computer, his bed, and thousands of maps among other things. He didn't bother attempting to go to the demonstration first off; his back would break if he held these bags any longer. He could hardly see where he was going as he was bent over double, and in his haste he ran headlong into another crewman. "Watch out, will ya!" He said gruffly, and attempted to continue on, dropping all of his baggage. "Ow, dangit."
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino
And The Ni'Calls

Offline PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 04:19:02 pm »
"Oh! What was that?"

Zori had been knocked up against the wall and was rubbing the back of her head. She looked at the mess of personal effects on the floor and waited for the ringing to go away. Spying Khalendin, she reached down and began picking up his things.

"No need to rush! Enjoy the moment. I don't think we're launching for a little while anyway. These... maps, they're yours? Are you a cartographer?"

Offline Krakow Sam

• The Nameless One
  • Halloween sux.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 05:01:28 pm »
"Crewman Khalendin is not a cartographer in any official capacity." came a disembodied reply from a nearby speaker, synthesised, but pleasant enough to listen to. "He is assigned to the Sidereal Hour primarily as a pilot."
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Kitkat

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 05:25:27 pm »
"Ah, thank you. In a way, yes, I am. I go around exploring the galaxy, acquiring maps of local space, and where there hasn't been anyone to map it, I map the space myself. I'm an explorer is what I am, an adventurer--"Crewman Khalendin is not a cartographer in any official capacity. He is assigned to the Sidereal Hour primarily as a pilot." Khalendin jumped at the voice that seemed to come out of nowhere. He looked around for a second and finally realized that it was the computer talking to him.
"In my SPARE TIME I am." He huffed at the console. "My OFFICIAL JOB is as a fighter pilot, but I happen to know quite a lot about locations of whatnot, thank you very much." The name's Khalendin Veriames Laokkhal. Roles off the tongue well doesn't it?" As he spoke, he continued to pile up all his belongigs to take to his quarters.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 07:26:44 pm by Kitkat »
Come check out The Bino
And The Ni'Calls

Offline PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 06:19:18 pm »
"A pilot! What fun that must be!"

Zori motioned to her wings and continued.

"It's one thing to be able to fly around the sky but to be able to travel through space on a whim... it must be exhilarating. Bet you don't have to deal with nosy computers either. Just hit the mute button and keep on going."

She handed the small bundle of maps over to Khalendin, her mind abuzz with thoughts of traveling through space on her own ship.

"Khalendin, correct? You have any nicknames or are we going with the full compliment?"

Offline Krakow Sam

• The Nameless One
  • Halloween sux.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 07:12:39 pm »
"DiRossi Experimental Scientific Concern did not see fit to install the ADVISOR system with a mute function." riposted the speaker. "Moreover, it is one function of the ADVISOR system to be 'nosy' as you term it. I will be closely observing the behaviours of the crew to compile reports for mission control and to adapt my simulated personality to establish a rapport with the crew. Function Added: Belligerent Overreaction. Function added: Snide insinuations."
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 07:14:49 pm by Krakow Sam »

Offline Kitkat

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 07:22:14 pm »
"Oh, delightful additions..." Khalendin said sarcastically. "Anyway, I've found that some humans call me Kally, and apparently that's a female name, but whatever. It's what they call me, so hey, call me whatever."
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 07:27:14 pm by Kitkat »
Come check out The Bino
And The Ni'Calls

Offline Krakow Sam

• The Nameless One
  • Halloween sux.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 07:27:38 pm »
"I happen to think they are perfectly good additions THANK YOU VERY MUCH." replied ADVISOR, the simulated voice taking on something of Khalendin's earlier frustration. "It is regretful you do not have a mute button. Function added: Sarcasm"

Offline PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 11:14:44 pm »
"Well, it was a pleasure to meet you, Kally. I'm sure I'll be seeing you around."

Zori turned to walk away but stopped and pointed at a random part of the ship.

"And you be sure to keep your nose out of other people's business. It's rude!"

Chuckling, Zori wandered off.