Author Topic: Voyage of the Perihelion  (Read 19969 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Voyage of the Perihelion
« on: June 02, 2010, 02:35:53 pm »
Voyage of the Perihelion
-An Experiment in Galactic Travel-

OOC - Information Station

Greetings travelers! Siaco Investment Contractors welcomes you to the SIC Perihelion. Whether you were chosen by our panel of experts or won a spot in the OstiTech Cola essay contest, management wants to extend its most sincere thanks and wishes you all the best in the journey you are about to embark on. As per your contracts, you are given free reign to explore the galaxy and learn as much as you can about whatever you can on board one of civilization's most-advanced ships. In exchange, you have agreed to allow SIC and/or other interested parties to monitor your progress for the betterment of galactic life. Additionally, from time to time you may be given directives from SIC and/or other interested parties, which you must see through to completion. Failure to do so may result in your removal from the SIC Perihelion. Don't forget, you are representing not only your species, but galactic civilization as a whole.
And remember our motto: What's good for Siaco is good for us all!

Make us proud, travelers!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 03:07:16 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
Re: Voyage of the Perihelion
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 08:29:42 pm »
Arc I
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

1F38-91R0-V72J  GSC (Galactic Standard Coordinates)
Taringo Research Station

Lucyeng ran through the corridor in huge strides, the claws on his long limbs hooking smoothly into rungs built into the sides.  He could hear more steps behind him, echoing through the passage in a desperate run.  Something ahead sparkled in the violet emergency lights and with a great push he took off into a long leap, sailing through the air above a translucent root-like protrusion.

For a moment he tumbled, twisting desperately in the zero-g as he tried to reorient himself, before a claw found another rung.  He stumbled, slamming into the wall with a force to set his head ringing, but holding his grip firm.  The footsteps were getting closer, and he could hear metal groan as the strange root shifted behind him, tearing at the station's innards to snake towards him.  The sound made his spine lock up as he struggled to his feet, not daring to throw a glance back before breaking into a run again.

He hauled himself to a stop to turn a corner just as he heard a thud of something landing behind him.  Unlike his own graceless crash, the footsteps picked up again as soon as his pursuer touched down.  The bastard always had been the athletic one, but it didn't matter now, his goal was just ahead.

With the last of his strength he launched himself down the hall, clawing at the ground to stop himself as he entered the room.  With the clumsy sweep of a claw he managed to slam the door shut, locks engaging automatically.  Frantic claws began beating on the door an instant later, complex undulations filling his ears as he pushed himself awkwardly to the far end.  "Open up, you bastard!"  Screeched the voice on the other side, "You won't get away!  I Promise that you won't get away!"

His leg was throbbing, it must have gotten twisted somewhere in the frantic chase.  His tail wrapped around a perch that would have been on the ceiling had gravity been functioning.  Instead of hanging comfortably he has to brace himself with another limb and operate the controls in front of him one clawed.

He cringed for a moment as the banging intensified before suddenly stopping, the depressed the button which would start the emergency transmitter.

1F37-91RA-V72P  GSC
The Perihelion

"This is Lucyeng of the research station Taringo," came the voice over the Perihelion's bridge, "I...  I don't know how many others survived.  We're on emergency power and losing hull integrity.  Please, someone, anyone...  I don't want to die here."
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 08:57:04 pm »
Jerry stared lazily at a display as he waited for someone to tell him what to do. He was a hard worker but knew full-well how to enjoy his downtime. One of his favorite shows was on and he was determined not to miss it. Whatever orders he had waiting for him would have to wait another ten minutes. The confrontation of the season was about to happen between Gloria and Reynaldo and he'd be dammed if he was going to miss it.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 09:15:25 pm »
Jack made his way across the ship to the armory after hearing about their first mission. His adrenaline was pumping, the thought of saving another ship from the assault of a hostile alien. As they'd have a while yet before arriving, he decided to get a quick practice session in before needing to use his standard issue energy rifle in live combat.
Virus Buster.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 09:27:29 pm »
Nova walked along its usual casual pace towards the armory to inspect what forces this ship could offer for the mission. The people who owned this ship had seen fit to ask the machine to perform as Chief of Security on the Perihelion. The first thing that caught the construct's eye was that these people had managed to track Nova down. Many organizations would've loved to call Nova part of their company or corporation or crew or etc, but few of them actually had the resources to find the highly mobile android. Secondly, the organization had managed to convince Nova that it could meet a number of up-and-coming geniuses, many of whom would likely have mechanical experience. Somehow, they'd figured out that Nova was always interested in anyone with mechanical knowledge, especially those who were younger and had longer lives ahead of them. How they'd done all this, Nova had no idea, but the offer was incredibly intriguing. Thirdly, Nova would have a chance to keep these geniuses alive.

It was a chance the android could hardly refuse, since it later discovered just how few high-level members of the crew were focused on combat. However, it didn't view its position as a real position, continuing the Zan tradition of not seeing differing levels of superiority. Nova simply "commanded" through requests, requests usually honored based on the crew's respect of Nova.

As he walked along, Nova ended up running into Jack Tempalmen. Humans were somewhat new to Nova, compared to some other races, but Nova remained respectful as always, "Tempalmen, how are you this day? Ready to go 'guns blazing' onto this ship?"

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 09:41:45 pm »
"I'm feeling good today." Jack replied as he adjusted the rifle to a different firing setting, "Who ever was stupid enough to attack a ship while we were around are going to regret it!"

He let off a series of shots that his progressively higher on the target as he got a feeling for the recoil. He started to switch it to another mode.

"How about you, Nova?"
Virus Buster.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 09:52:08 pm »
Nova nodded, "Optimism is always good in a battle, but I don't think I need to say that one should never underestimate the enemy." Nova took a rifle exactly like Jack's from another security member, and shot a smiley face onto the head shape of the target in a few seconds, "The enemy could be as good or even better than myself, and I have the precision of a machine." Nova returned to the rifle to the stunned security operative, and turned back to Jack, "You've got a lot of potential, Jack Tempalmen, just don't be too self-confident."

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 10:06:51 pm »
"Well, who knows what they are capable of, but that is the one issue, there's really no improvement when you're a machine." Jack chuckled slightly as he shifted to the next setting, "Anyway, just between you and me, I'm a bit disappointed the crew is a total 'sausage fest', if you get my meaning. The hologram's got a few nice settings though."
Virus Buster.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 10:23:33 pm »
Nova shrugged and watched the different targets being shot by security, "I'm more disappointed the people who own this ship didn't see fit to include more people less likely to get themselves killed. And I do suppose there is no improvement for me, so if anyone makes a better machine I'm screwed." Nova returned his attention to Jack, "If I had a mouth, I'd smile, but I have never met a better machine or anyone who could make a better one... or one as good..." Nova seemed to disappear into thought, before returning to the real world, "Well, I'll see all of you in a few moments. I'm going to go check the bridge..." It promptly left the armory and began walking towards the bridge briskly.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 02:36:40 am »
Theli, ever the gearhead, was away in his quarters, gleefully rummaging through the Perihelion's astounding database of electronic devices when the bridge began alerting the crew of their impending mission, of which he was to act as one of several field engineers for the away team. His enthusiasm however, seemed to have momentarily hampered his hearing as he was far too engrossed to notice the intercom's voice until the third or so time around. Finally, he woke up from his dillydallying just in time to jog past a familiar face on his way to the bridge.

"Oh, hi Nova!", Theli asked Nova thoughtfully, his two eyes arching up to form what can be considered an expression of happiness. Slowing down to match the Zan's moderate pace, he approached his companion further while still keeping a safe distance from his relatively long legs. "So, what's happening?", he greeted, looking up to the physically similar yet vastly taller being.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 06:44:25 am »
"He's been regaling the crew with stories about how great he is. Fascinating, right?"

Jack, having finished with his show, was heading to a briefing room to get updated. He'd caught the tail end of the conversation between Jack and Nova and was none-too-happy to be sharing the ship with a self-righteous pile of scrap. Still, it wasn't going to do any good to hold the machine in contempt. After all, they'd probably end up working together at some point. Jerry only hoped that he wasn't going to have to hear about the machine's superior this and the machine's superior that for the remainder of the journey. Continuing on his way, Jerry tried to end on a nicer note.

"Then again, I suppose he is  pretty tall. Can't say I've got him beat there."

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 06:48:20 am »
Smiley had been sitting in a corner behind Jerry the whole time, fascinated by the strange drama of sleeping with each other and then lying about it. When Jerry got up, Smiley followed him out.

"Hello!" He screamed. It was the first thing he had ever said, and its volume surprised him.

"Oops sorry." He gave an awkward slanted smile.

"I wanted to ask you a question about the television drama. If Gloria and Reynaldo both have the short term goal of achieving pleasure, and the long term goal of propagating their species, then why don't they dispense with the emotion and just have sex?"
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 06:56:08 am »
Jerry turned around and eyed the strange creature warily.

"Gloria doesn't know what she wants and Reynaldo hasn't made things right with his father. That's why."

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 11:45:03 am »
"A question, Mister Tenjeri. Are you aware that they have reapeated the same story-line twice? Except this time, Gloria is not pregnant by Reynaldo's evil twin, and Reynaldo, who I believe was paired with Johannah that time, does not have a rare terminal illness he later miraculously survived." Perihelion had appeared to hurry the group along, but sometimes even an AI enjoys mindless banter.

"And Mister Tempalman, I see you have been checking out my alternate projections. I will remember that when I am around you in future."

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 11:52:59 am »
"To the untrained observer, yes, they have recycled the plot. But this time there's a voodoo priestess pulling the strings from the shadows! They haven't done that in over three decades. It's fresh and new, just like they said it would be! But hey, we can talk about that later. I need to check up on this job we're going to doing."

Jerry entered the briefing room and made his way toward a console to check up on things.