Author Topic: Beginning After the End: The Story of the Akra Supernova  (Read 2998 times)

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
Beginning After the End: The Story of the Akra Supernova
« on: May 29, 2010, 10:09:38 pm »
Chapter One: Prologue

Khuris sat in space like a small blue marble in a cosmic scale game of Ringer, poised like its moons and cousin Korolon to be knocked from the circle by the enormous pulsing star Akra.

Prime Chancellor Jkhanin Hadarin sat in his office, twiddling his thumbs, staring at the mounting files in his desktop computer's inbox. Normally he would be delighted at reading and responding to the many public Emails that he would often receive, but recently, they were becoming nasty, and many were from agencies and independent companies, all demanding one way or another answers on the incredible heat that Khuris was experiencing, accompanied by a supposed expansion of Alkera's main star Akra. Every time, he was forced to reply with some kind of workaround the demand, usually some damned "Plausible Deniability" thing that the council had deemed "necessary" for "maintenance of peace". He needed to use stupid quotes so much that he nearly aquired a progeam to automatically enter them in on everything he wrote: NOTHING HE WAS ALLOWED TO SAY WAS TRUE! And how much he wished to say, to assure the public that they would be provided leave from the system, and that they would need that leave not within thousands of years, not within hundreds, nor scores, not even one. Every day he was forced to look over the square outside the towering Federal Building, and live with the thought that he was leading them all to destruction. When he looked out, he saw the once green, now yellowing hills of the richest land of the planet dying before his eyes, and when he looked up, he could see the gigantic hulk of the half finished FKS Khuris, one of the three supposed evacuation ships built to shuttle the population off world.

Half would never make it out on those three, and only a third of them would to survive the nova.

At the same time the Chancellor looked over the land he oversaw, the High Priest of Khato Athoka Temple sat in his office, pouring over the hundreds of texts stacking up in his reading room. In all of these texts written in so many ways that he had to know over 20 dialects over 5 languages, he had yet to find any answer to what he was searching for: the end. He had been searching ever since the heat started to climb, over half a decade ago, and now, he was getting nearer the answer, he could see it in the writing, the thousands-year old covers of the books, and he could virtually smell the importance of these latest finds buried deep in the depths of the temple. As he picked up this book, titled, roughly, "Beginning After the End", he brushed the cover with his padded hands, dusting it lightly. As he began to open the cover and began to read the pages inside, a small bell rang pleasantly on his desk accompanied by a much louder and distant one farther inside the building; He was about to miss the next service!

When he was to get back, what he would find would prove to be to find of the millennium.

TO BE CONTINUED.

((I've been meaning to get to this for a while. Basically, it will encompass political and religious, as well as straight sociological effects of the destruction of Khuris, Both the events leading to it, and the events after. I mught use a bit of input if the story encompasses other governments outside of the United Federation, but that probably won't be likely.))

Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Re: Beginning After the End: The Story of the Akra Supernova
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 01:10:30 am »
I've always wondered why the UFK denied foreign help when that would have probably been enough to save everyone's life.  :(

It's nice that you made this so that some light can finally be shed on the matter.  :)

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 06:51:06 am »
Getting great "Disaster Movie" check the film 2012, the science is horrible, but it serves as a good deconstruction of how a government would handle the apocolypse.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 04:38:53 pm »
Can't wait for the next chapter. This looks promising.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 08:35:41 pm »
Thanks guys! After a bit of a wait, here is Part II

Chapter II: Stemming the Flow of Lies, Part I

A large Bino family crowds around a small television-like device situated in the center of the cramped living room of their small house. They watch the small device in anticipation, wondering what fresh chaos will unfold in the reels of the local news. The channel comes in, and everyone becomes silent, listening.
//And Today on Khato Arelyia 4 News, riots break out in Khato Lorida! After an extended heat wave sweeping the region, demands to improve living conditions during this period of intense heat have erupted into a violent mob. Here, captured on a citizen's camera...//
Many in this small audience gasp, and several hushed conversations carry through the room, despite urges to keep quiet. This is a rather disconcerting thing to hear, especially to those under the impression that Khuris was one of the pinnacles of peace in the modern galaxy.
That facade would soon shatter into a billion pieces, irreparable.

Prime Chancellor Jkhanin Hadarin thought much the same. He watched the same news report as that poor family at the fringes of modern Khurithian society as he prepared to give a speech, a speech that would declaim the very thoughts he held deep inside. He attempted to say the same to the advisor who was currently assisting his with his decorative uniform: "I'm not sure if I can go through with this, you know?". In a tone most would feel was comforting, but the Chancellor only saw a srobotic statement, he responded with a simple "You'll be fine out there." Ha, sure thing. Later, he stepped out on the balcony halfway down the Federal Building looking over the huge crowd that gathered on the square of the metropolitan city, cleared his throat, and began to speak. "Recently," He began, "Much debate has been stirred up as to the sate of our wonderful star system," He looked up at the two blazing stars in the sky, and to the much more distant group off on the horizon. "And to the state of the government." He stopped here to clear his throat again, unnecessarily. "As you have reason to be concerned. However, that is why I am here before you today, to say that there is no problem to worry over. KSEU has been analyzing the star Akra, and they have so far found no issues; There will still be ample time to prepare for the exodus." This statement sent a wave of murmurs through the crowd, as well as several shouts, thankfully to far away for Hadarin to hear what they said. "Excuse me! Thank you. As well, have you no worry over the stability of government. If you just... bear with us, we will all make it through this ordeal. Furthermore-" He was inturrupted by a particularly loud individual, or group, he couldn't quite tell, "WHAT ABOUT PROPER AIR MAINTENANCE EQUIPMENT? YOU PROMISE US ALL OF THE MAJOR COMPONENTS NEEDED FOR SURVIVAL, HOW CAN WE SURVIVE IN THIS HEAT?" This was the wild card. Saying no to this question would make it seem that the government didn't care about the people as it always made itself out to, but sayign yes would imply that the problem WAS big enough to have to deal with or else. "It was decided that the condition is not severe enough as to warrant the drive to provide air conditioning equipment to household on Khuris. I'm sorry... I truly am."

All day, the speech continued, and the questions got more and more malicious. Finally, over 3 Khurithian hours (nearly 10 Standard hours) later, the speech finally came to a close, and the Chancellor collapsed into the elevator, exhausted. Finally, he came to his quarters, and immediately slumped into a lounge chair, not bothering to go to his sleeping room, he just fell asleep.

Little did he know what would greet him tomorrow.

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • Where did this fish come from?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 08:40:43 pm »
I sense mobs will be surrounding his house in the near future.
In space, no one can hear you scream unless your transmitting it on the right radio frequency.

Weird City: Add a inhabitant!, Add some industry!

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 09:04:47 pm »
And he'll be extremely lucky if he even manages to walk out of it without getting horribly, horribly lynched.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 12:18:05 pm »
This is great!

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 09:10:20 pm »
((After a long while of forgetting that this ever existsed, I am ressurecting it! Also, forgive me if I throw in a couple of evtra letters in here or there, I'm away from my normal computer, and also away from accurate spell check.))

Chapter II: Stemming thr flow of lies, Part II

*Knock knock knock...*
"Urf"... The Prime Chancellor grunted, hardly awakened by the soft knock on his door.
*Knock, Knock Knock...*
There it was again, more insistent this time.
"Argk, who could be wanting to talk this early?" The Prime chancellor whined. While he may have a very high authority within the federation, for the Bino, this doesn't entail passing paperwork through from very early in the morning. Indeed, only a fourth of the day just before afternoon was allocated to paperwork. Especially now, most of his day, save for morning, was spent trying to hold his government together. And it was desperately struggling against him.

"Knock Knock KNOCK CRACK!" The soft knocking abruptly turned into a powerful rapping. Obviously this visiotr wasn't going to give up that easily...

Hastily walking to the door, he jerked it open. "You really can't bother me lat--"

There, stating at him from the hall outside,

Was the High Priest of Khato Athoka Temple.

"No chancellor, this cannot Wait until later.”

“Oh dear, excuse me.” Hadarin said, running to put on more substantial attire than his simple commoner adornments.

“Don’t waste your time, Chancellor, just come.” The Priest said.

Later, in a quaint little diner at the edge of Capitol City…

“I positively adore this place, great food, and a spectacular atmosphere about it, wouldn’t you say?” The priest said. He seemed quitehappy on the outside, but Hadarin knew he was deeply troubled. They sat down at a table, and without wasting a second, the priest took out a small case, unlatched it, revealing a book. A very, very old book.

“Oh my!” Hadarin exclaimed. He had never seen something this old from Bino Ancient History in person before, let alone being actually used.

“This,” Said the priest, “Is a book of prophetic writings. Also, it is a scientific book, as far as I can tell. It talks about astronomy in this incredible detail, showing Akra, Darkhra, Korolon, Khuris… All in spectacular detail, and in amazingly accurate, detail. Look at this illustration of Khuris.” He said, quickly opening the book to one of many little bookmarks. “It shows Khuris in suck a way that the ancients would have never know about by themselves. And can you see in the background here?” he said, flipping pages again to show a large, folded chart of Alkera. And behind it, was what appeared to be a Bino. But not a contemporary Bino, this one was different. He was in elaborate garb representing the Priesthood, but it differed in interesting ways. It was much thicker, something that even for Khurithian wear was a little unusual. He seemed taller than the average Bino, perhaps some kind of indication that he was superior, above others? He was drawn in like he was flying through space, and he was holding Akra and Darkha as if he were supporting them.

“This page makes no sense.” The priest said firmly. “What are you talking about? It makes perfect sense, that is He, isn’t it?” Hadarin said. “Exactly.” The priest said. He seemed much lighter as he said this, almost as if it gave him joy to say it. “What would an extremely old, Sscientifically-Centered-and-Powerful people, have to see to place in such a figure and in such a way? Often such knowledgeable people around the galaxy have been known to be characteristically atheist, having no apparent need for a god to help them understand. Once there is science, and it can’t prove that their god exists, there is a good chance that they will fail to keep with their faith. This is not so with these people, our ancestors. Even through their explanations of everything, they place him here. And, he is faint, almost invisible on this page.

“ Like they wouldn’t put him in as colorfully as the science. He’s like a ghost, a spirit among the set-in-stone. Could he be hiding, perhaps?” Hadarin commented thoughtfully.

“That’s what I thought. Perhaps he is hiding, in the background. Or he is suppressed, somehow, like by putting him in the back of the map they were, signifying that he could not take up the foreground.

“Mhm…..” The Chancellor said quietly.

“And look at this.” The Priest said, pointing to a small pattern of text in the bottom corner of the picture. “It is a message. A Quattrain.”

The children of Khuris will watch as the World around them is turned upside down.
The unbearable cold will become searing heat, the darkness will be brought to light.
The still shall be disrupted by Storm,
And the Storm will shatter the Cosmic Window.

“My god.” The chancellor said quietly.

“And that is not the last of it.” The Priest whispered.

He turned the page over. And on it, was the chart. The background was black, Khuris was a ghostly white, Darkhra was still there, and Akra and the figure in the back ground, supporting the system of Alkera before him,
Were gone.

“Oh no…” the Chancellor shuddered.

“I think the Cosmic Window is Akra. If this storm will shatter Akra, then We may already have discovered this too late. The Ancients were not so arrogant as us, and left us this warning. For thousands of years we have ignored it. And now it may be too late. See, everything is going in order, the Children of Khuris are watching as the world around them is turned upside down. The Cold has already turned to burning heat. Now all that is left is for the dark to be tuned to light,”

“And for the Storm to destroy the Cosmic window.” The Chancellor said.

((Dear me! I really can get carried away with stories, can't I!))

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 09:18:10 pm »
I love apocolypse stories :)

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 09:31:34 pm »
Ahaha! I'm glad you're enjoying reading this as much as I love making it! It's nice.  ;)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 01:59:40 am »
HOLY CARP! THE ANCIENTS PREDICTED THE SUPERNOVA!  :o :o :o

Offline Jack Zetter

• Robotron Automaton
  • For Life and Freedom!
    • View Profile