Author Topic: Nebulas & Nauceans  (Read 6108 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: Nebulas & Nauceans
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 10:16:01 pm »
For instance, what's the difference between abilities and feats? And how to we avoid repeating details so as to make editing each other's work easier?

In D&D there are only 6 abilities which are ...
Strength (Str)
Strength measures your character’s muscle and physical power. This ability is especially important for fighters, barbarians, paladins, rangers, and monks because it helps them prevail in combat. Strength also limits the amount of equipment your character can carry.

Dexterity (Dex)
Dexterity measures hand-eye coordination, agility, reflexes, and balance. This ability is the most important one for rogues, but it’s also high on the list for characters who typically wear light or medium armor (rangers and barbarians) or no armor at all (monks, wizards, and sorcerers), and for anyone who wants to be a skilled archer.

Constitution (Con)
Constitution represents your character’s health and stamina. A Constitution bonus increases a character’s hit points, so the ability is important for all classes.

Intelligence (Int)
Intelligence determines how well your character learns and reasons. This ability is important for wizards because it affects how many spells they can cast, how hard their spells are to resist, and how powerful their spells can be. It’s also important for any character who wants to have a wide assortment of skills.

Wisdom (Wis)
Wisdom describes a character’s willpower, common sense, perception, and intuition. While Intelligence represents one’s ability to analyze information, Wisdom represents being in tune with and aware of one’s surroundings. Wisdom is the most important ability for clerics and druids, and it is also important for paladins and rangers. If you want your character to have acute senses, put a high score in Wisdom. Every creature has a Wisdom score.

Charisma (Cha)
Charisma measures a character’s force of personality, persuasiveness, personal magnetism, ability to lead, and physical attractiveness. This ability represents actual strength of personality, not merely how one is perceived by others in a social setting. Charisma is most important for paladins, sorcerers, and bards. It is also important for clerics, since it affects their ability to turn undead. Every creature has a Charisma score.

Feats on the other hand are much more numerous much more specific.Here are some examples ...

Power Attack [General]
Prerequisite

Str 13.
Benefit

On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty on attacks and bonus on damage apply until your next turn.
Special

If you attack with a two-handed weapon, or with a one-handed weapon wielded in two hands, instead add twice the number subtracted from your attack rolls. You can’t add the bonus from Power Attack to the damage dealt with a light weapon (except with unarmed strikes or natural weapon attacks), even though the penalty on attack rolls still applies. (Normally, you treat a double weapon as a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. If you choose to use a double weapon like a two-handed weapon, attacking with only one end of it in a round, you treat it as a two-handed weapon.)

A fighter may select Power Attack as one of his fighter bonus feats.

or

Stealthy [General]
Benefit

You get a +2 bonus on all Hide checks and Move Silently checks.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 01:22:17 am »
I would like to help when it gets to making the DM and MM section.

I could make the core worlds, and some 'beasts'.

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 07:04:34 am »
So this would be like an inbetweenquel to the. Current RPs?

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 04:24:33 pm »
So this would be like an inbetweenquel to the. Current RPs?

I think it would be sort of taking the best stuff we loved and stylizing it into its own universe. Sort of packaging it up so anyone can play and no one really needs to try to follow a timeline. For instance whatever DM/GM ran a particular game from this system could put their own spin on the background of his made up world. Nauceans could have a completely diffrent back story, but are still "Nauceans", just as Dwarves are still "Dwarves" no matter what campaign setting you play for D&D.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 04:25:20 pm »
So this would be like an inbetweenquel to the Current RPs?
Heh, no.
a D&D-like core game for the Gaming Steve Pre-Spore Fan-Fiction that happened during the "Golden Age".

Note that timelines and geography would already be established just like how its done in say the Forgotten Realms of D&D. Also like D&D any RPing would be independent from the core universe.

Dang, Hydro ninja'd me!
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 04:32:40 pm »
@Gec

Honestly I love your cartoony style of drawing and wondered if you would do most of the illustrations for this?

If so could you start by making sort of a racial "line up" to show like the size comparison of the main 12 races? Think like a prison line up or group photo in how its set up. If you need species sizes let you know and I will help look them up for ya.

gec05

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 04:40:37 pm »
Well, I can. But I'm going to have to take my time.

I think everyone got me all riled up into a game making project, so just start making a list. I'll get to it when I have the time.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2010, 06:16:24 pm »
Well my motivation is based on how much people would want this. If people don't want it then that's fine, if they do I will help out. No biggie.

I mean right now its just in the discussion phase anyways.

And even if this doesn't get made at least it might help out the future of RPing on here with that Patman has been talking about.

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2010, 06:48:21 pm »
If the Pentekonterus are to be included, can they be True Neutral?
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 06:48:50 pm »
To early for you brah.

gec05

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 07:35:48 pm »
Doesn't matter, it's a valid suggestion of an old time race.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 08:11:06 pm »
The Kuruuk guys aren't old time, they just started.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2010, 05:02:22 am »
Looking over the RP section I do not really think we even need to make this. Because most games are based on pure RPing rather than any stats like in D&D.

In short unless we want to make a D&D version of this I think we don't really need it.

However it would still be cool if Gec drew a line up of the old alien species from the Golden Age. ;)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2010, 05:27:13 am »
However it would still be cool if Gec drew a line up of the old alien species from the Golden Age. ;)

This x 10googolplex

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2010, 06:41:05 am »
Looking over the RP section I do not really think we even need to make this. Because most games are based on pure RPing rather than any stats like in D&D.

It's true, this wouldn't be a traditional RP, but it would be an interesting experiment to try.

Just a thought though, although our manual will probably contain a limited number of species, simply due to limitations on space and time, I'm certain that most would like to use their own.  Of course, custom races and whatnot has always been possible in RP environments, and it's the wide variety that made the Spore RPs great in the first place.  I think that if someone wants to, they could write up proper summaries and stats for their species, keeping in proper game balance and whatnot, and make them into a playable race.

I'm perfectly alright with my Kratair not being one of the offical races.  After all, they are technically part of the Silver Age, not the Golden Age, but I think it would just be interesting to attempt to make a balanced, playable race with them.  I don't know enough about most of the other races to attempt something like this with someone elses, but like I said, I'll help where I can and give it a shot if need be.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net