Author Topic: Nebulas & Nauceans  (Read 5981 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Nebulas & Nauceans
« on: May 29, 2010, 08:16:43 pm »
I have been wanting to do this for some time. I thought it would be cool to make a D&D-like core game for the Gaming Steve Pre-Spore Fan-Fiction that happened during the "Golden Age". Just like how D&D has core races of Elves, Dwarves and Orcs we could have Nauceans, Sombreons and Torpals. Basiclly it would be a core rulebook with information about each species, the local space (such as Beyon City) and what monsters are around. The whole focus of this would to make an established universe in which players could then RP with well known aliens rather than having to create anything from scratch.

Note that timelines and geography would already be established just like how its done in say the Forgotten Realms of D&D. Also like D&D any RPing would be independent from the core universe.

In short I would like to work with some old timers like Gec to establish such a game.

gec05

Re: Nebulas & Nauceans
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 08:23:04 pm »
Knowing me, I'm crazy about this idea. It sounds great. And another facet about me, tends to be flaky and slow at updates. I can sure give some input and answers to any questions. But I'm trying to avoid too many commitments right now, being that I tend to lose focus.

Plus I don't know DnD mechanics. I wasn't crazy about it, and neither were my parents.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 08:35:01 pm »
Its not so much to make a D&D version of Pre-Spore Fan-Fic, but to make an establish universe that others can RP from. For instance in D&D dwarves are more masculine earthy folks (think Gimli from LOTR). Establishing the stereotypical base for each of our alien races would be a good start. Heck even creating some classes (aka occupations) would be cool. Specific stats are not really important sicne forum role playing is not based on stats, but of what you write.

For instance a stereotypical Naucean would be a lab scientist, while a stereotypical Torpal would be a warrior. Same goes for other universes like in Star Trek the Vulcan tend to be logical while the Klingons tend to be warriors. In short we need to establish a core universe just like Star Wars or Star Trek have. One in which any role player can base their own RP off it and create their own RP adventures.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:40:04 pm by Hydromancerx »

gec05

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 08:37:44 pm »
OK, so I guess that makes the Sombreron the Ferengi equivalent.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 08:40:19 pm »
As for commitments I completely understand. I too go back and forth between many things. However this idea should at least be something we could put together and let it evolve on its own. Plus a lot of the work as already been done for us (or by us).

For instance what core races should we have? One problem I have noticed in the past is there are so many types of aliens that I just can't keep track. In short I think we should have maybe around 12 main races that are well known and have a good variety of personalities. These would be races that a new player could quickly read about and then make up their character from. In short these would be the most common races in our universe.

gec05

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 08:45:18 pm »
Sounds cool!

OK, so how many different classes should we have? Should we base it off an existing list of classes as a template or build from the ground up from here?

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 08:52:35 pm »
Here are some I think should be in the main 12.

1. Naucean
2. Kazea
3. Torpal
4. ViS
5. Sombreron
6. Wexxian
7. Borark
8. Baobas
9. Mallen
10. Quillaran
11. Omic
12. Urshan

Any other species could either be included in say our equivalent of the D&D "Monster Manual" or individually created by the player for their game. But basically these 12 races would be made so the player could easily pick one and then create their character.

If you have other suggestions for the 12 listed be my guest. The first 5 are the ones I really think should be included.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 08:55:54 pm »
Sounds cool!

OK, so how many different classes should we have? Should we base it off an existing list of classes as a template or build from the ground up from here?

Hmm. It should have some echos of other games but still be unique to our own games. I have not been in too many of the pre-spore RPs, what types of characters do people normally play as if they are playing as individual characters? If you know any we should try to include some of them.

gec05

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 09:01:19 pm »
Well, I think deciding on classes will be a foremost priority. Then we can decide who fits that role best, and I might be able to help with that.

Otherwise, we can expect everyone trying to promote their creature. What I want to see is what creature left the best impression on the community, rather than something too new, even if it fits the bill.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 09:18:34 pm »
Well, I think deciding on classes will be a foremost priority. Then we can decide who fits that role best, and I might be able to help with that.

Otherwise, we can expect everyone trying to promote their creature. What I want to see is what creature left the best impression on the community, rather than something too new, even if it fits the bill.

What I mean is have there been any past Spore RPs that have included "classes"? For isntance I sem to recall a Wexxian assassin I think. Perhaphs that should be a class.

---------

On a side note for this to be a successful core handbook I think we need to make it easy to read, organized and have a bunch of good pictures. Possibly even compiling into a PDF that people can download and read.

For isntacne in D&D each race is broken down into;

- Introduction (an introduction paragraph)
- Personality (Are they logical, warlike, greedy, etc)
- Physical Description (What they look like)
- Relations (what other races they get along or are enemies of)
- Alignments (Are they good or bad or lawful or chaotic)
- Lands (aka Where they Live)
- Religion (This could be like culture)
- Language
- Names (Common names that you can name your character with)
- Adventures (What types of Classes they typically take)
- Racial Traits

We could use the same type of structure for our own alien races. Basically each section is a paragraph. They also include a picture of the race.

gec05

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 09:23:01 pm »
Sounds good. I think it should keep things simple. Limiting it to a paragraph description will leave room for personal character development without being tied down to a manifesto of racial characteristics.

I really can care less about the technical details of a race. I just want to know their story.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 09:24:32 pm »
Oh god I like this idea.  I'll help however I can.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 09:44:58 pm »
Any help would be appreciated. :D

Ok so based on the D&D Player's Handbook they have 11 Chapters ...

- Abilities
- Races
- Classes
- Skills
- Feats
- Descriptions
- Equipment
- Combat
- Adventuring
- Magic
- Spells

Well things like magic and spells can be taken out for ours. But we should have things like equipment and maybe even skills and feats. it would be cool to include like a Torpalian Sword or Baobas Riffle. I am leaning more and more towards giving these things stats too. What do you guys think?

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 09:56:31 pm »
Sounds good. I think it should keep things simple. Limiting it to a paragraph description will leave room for personal character development without being tied down to a manifesto of racial characteristics.

I really can care less about the technical details of a race. I just want to know their story.

What I posted before was for he races not the character. Here download a PDF of the D&D Player's Handbook to understand what I mean.

gec05

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 10:00:23 pm »
Yeah, remove the bottom two.

But we should be able to explain what people need to put in each chapter.

For instance, what's the difference between abilities and feats? And how to we avoid repeating details so as to make editing each other's work easier?

What I posted before was for he races not the character. Here download a PDF of the D&D Player's Handbook to understand what I mean.

I know. I was just referring to when a person creates a character based on the race's handbook.