Author Topic: Childhood drawings  (Read 8019 times)

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
Childhood drawings
« on: May 22, 2010, 12:22:37 am »
Well, Gauph and I decided it would be fun if we and everyone else who is willing, would post some of their childhood drawings. And I scanned so many that I thought I should probably make a new thread for it.

Anyhow, I'm going to sort these by subject, and under the subject I will try to sort them by age, oldest first and newest last. Most of these range from 6 to 13 years old, but first something really old.

I found a strange notebook that said my name and 5 years old, so I suppose this is something I drew when I was five. Obviously the work of an artistic genius!

Pokemon

Pokemons and guinea pigs are some of the first things I drew as a kid. I'll get to the guinea pigs later, for now, let's look at the pokemon drawings. I'd say these range anywhere from 7 to 12 years old.

I had this great notebook reserved for drawing and I mostly drew Pokemon on it. I liked drawing labyrinths so that my friends could try and complete them. This one I decorated with pictures of Pokemon. If you come across a Pokemon, you're supposed to fight it if you want to continue!

I must have drawn this after seeing the first Pokemon movie.

Oh yeah, this one, too.

So, then I found out that in the newest Pokemon game, Pokemon can have kids! "Awesome", I thought, "I absolutely have to draw some of those."

A couple newer Pokemon drawings. I must have been about 12, give or take.

Made up Pokemon

Aww yeah. This was around the time I first played Gold and Silver, and was really disappointed that I didn't get any awesome crossbreeds. You know, you could make two different pokemon species have babies, so they'd have to have some weird mutant pokemon, right? But no, it's just the same species as the mother. To consolate myself, I made up some crossbreeds and some other pokemon of my own.

Another Pokemon I made up.

These are all supposed to be the same pokemon that can take multiple forms or disguise itself. It's a ghost type Pokemon, a bit like Gastly, really.

Other made up creatures

Aww, so cute and fluffy!

The next four are all of the same species and would best be described as cats from space. Even my oldest made up creatures are based on this design. I'm not really sure how old these ones are, but anyway:

Animal Day

I'm not sure where this event was. At first I thought it must've been at preschool, but then I thought I probably couldn't write that well back then. So I thought it must have been one of the first few grades at school, but I still have no clue. But anyway, look at my amazing skills at drawing from reference!

I put the translations alongside the text of the original language so you can look at my awesome handwriting.

Horses

When I was a kid, everybody drew horses. It was like the cool thing to do. Unfortunately, I was never that amazing at it.

It's like a one-panel comic! Except less funny.

Mmhm.

Oh boy, a bearded unicorn.

Guinea pigs

Oh, the first ones here are also some of my earliest drawings. Probably even older than the first Pokemon drawings I showed. I was just so glad to get my first guinea pig, it was so cute and cuddly and awesomely lovely. So I just had to draw them all the time.

AWW

Oh, guinea pigs can be cool and dramatic, too. This drawing proves it!
I can't help but think that I must have drawn this right after I drew the Mew and Metwo battle. They've even got the same stupid lamp hanging from the roof.

AWW SO CUTE

This one is a bit newer. I must have been 12 or 13 when I drew this.

And well, here's a fox chasing a rabbit. I put it here because I didn't want to make a new category for just one drawing. Also, I wrote behind the drawing that I made this when I was 13 years old, so I believe that to be true.

I also scanned some old drawings of humans and landscapes, but I'll post those later. Oh, and some old comics I made, too.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
Re: Childhood drawings
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 01:49:53 pm »
I wish I had stuff that went back that far, the oldest stuff I got is from three years ago when I was a freshman in high school, everything else has been thrown out.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 01:56:26 pm »
Well, I told GD earlier that I discovered my kindergarten folder. There's lots of art crap in there.
I'll scan some of that too soon here, and perhaps some more from those binders.

I just wish I could find those other stacks of drawings I know I have stashed away somewhere. Where the hell..
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 02:57:35 pm »
I still have something I drew when I was three...
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 03:47:32 pm »
I probably have lots of stuff lying around. This is what I found with a quick comb through my room.

I'm not really into drawing. Sometimes I might draw a few things in a day out of extreme boredom, but that's about it.

Prepare to behold my awesome sense of perspective!

I drew these ones probably around 10 years old;

I remember thinking "the more detail the better" in drawings. I got stuck drawing in this "style" of weird looking people and bright colours for years.

Same family, I think? I don't understand the little girl in the window's expression.

This picture taught me to never again attempt to completely fill in an A4 page with solid colour with a pencil.

A few years later, we were staying at a friends house and got bored. I played a game where I drew the first thing I saw.

It's a violin.

That's a toilet.

Tape recorder thing?

This one was just the result of drawing lots of ovals really fast then turning it into a goblet thing. Perspective looks a bit weird.

Relatively recent doodles. Nope, still can't draw people.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 03:49:46 pm by Tesla »
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 03:25:23 am »
@Great Distance

That makes me feel really old. I was in High School when Pokemon first came out.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 05:14:06 pm »
I tried to find some really old drawings however I can't seem to find anything younger than 11 years old. :( But I did draw stuff before then.

Joey & Friends circa 1994
(That would make me around 11 years old)

Black Fox circa 1996
(That would make me around 13 years old)

Unit 1 circa 1997
(That would make me around 14 years old)

Roswell circa 1998
(That would make me around 15 years old)

Updraft circa 1999
(That would make me around 16 years old)

Download circa 2000
(That would make me around 17 years old)

And i guess any drawing after this would make me an adult. As you can see I improved a lot in those years. To more or less the same style that I use today.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 07:06:12 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Eagle

• Donkey Kong King
  • I AM SO FASHIONABLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 12:07:24 pm »
I find it depressing that some people could draw better at age 13 or less than I can at age 18.
I am bloody FASHIONABLE eagle!1!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 01:12:09 pm »
I find it depressing that some people could draw better at age 13 or less than I can at age 18.

Was that a general comment or ment for someone who posted?

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 10:25:05 pm »
Well, it's great to see so many have bothered to dig up their old drawings and post them here! Personally I think it's very interesting to see where someone came from artistically.

Anyway, here are the rest of the drawings that I scanned.

Landscapes

I was around 5-13 years of age when I drew these.

Well, this is an early one. How brilliant.

See that thing near the upper right corner of the picture? There just near the edge, on the pile of rocks? I think that's supposed to be a mouse right there.

Here you can see my early obsession at drawing trees. My friends always drew trees as lollipops, and I thought that was just WRONG, I've seen trees myself and they don't look like that. So I kept trying to hone my tree drawing skills.

This one is a part of a board game I made when I was 11 or 12 years old. There were more of these, but I scanned just two.

Here's the other one.

More trees.

And some color.

Humans

I didn't start drawing humans until later on, so I'd say I was 10-14 years old when I made these.

My first horrible attempt at drawing a decent human.

This one is a self portrait based on a picture that was taken when I was 9 years old. I was really proud of this one at the time.

Encouraged by my success, I attempted to draw a portrait from imagination. I was a bit sad that it didn't end up being quite that great.

These look a bit better.

This is the first and probably the last time I've ever drawn something with a ballpoint pen.

You know what's interesting about these drawings? I drew something on the flipside of each of the drawings, so that when you held it against a light, it'd look somewhat different.

For example, you'd see the sword she was holding only if you looked at the drawing against a light. Badass, huh?

This is the flipside of one of the drawings. I'm showing this because it looks better than the drawing on the other side.

I was really surprised at how well these worked out.

One more splash of color before descending into complete emoness.

See how her dress kind of fades into the grass? That's because she's a ghost. BOO!

Something's burning! But what is it? I'm scared!

I'm not sure where I'd locate these drawings, because they're not really the same series as my other human drawings. These were inspired by a game called Black and White where you interact with the world with the hand of god, and get to perform all sorts of awesome miracles.

The water miracle. WHOOSH! I posed my left hand for this and man, it hurt after I was done.

After that I had an even worse idea, and decided that I should try drawing my right hand next. You know, the one I draw with. So I put the pencil down every once in a while to put my right hand in the required pose. And then I picked up the pencil again and drew what I'd seen from memory. Never again will I do something stupid. Anyway, this was the healing miracle.

And that was everything for now, kids. I might yet post my awful comics someday if I bother to translate them, but I'm not sure they're really worth it. Anyhow, thanks for watching.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 12:35:31 am »

Here you can see my early obsession at drawing trees. My friends always drew trees as lollipops, and I thought that was just WRONG, I've seen trees myself and they don't look like that. So I kept trying to hone my tree drawing skills.

Don't all your trees in Finland look like this ? :P

On a side note, when I was little (like under 10) I would obsessively draw animals and cut them out. Then I would play with them on the floor using my crayons as the ground. It was a cheap and fun way to make the toys I could not afford / could not find as a kid.

I would have my dad label them on the back with their names. Here is what is listed in the drawing ...

-Yellow Footed Rock Wallaby
- Narrow Footed Marsupial Mouse
- North American Mole
- Plate-Billed Mountain Toucan
- Bettong
- Shorttail Shrew
- American White Pelican
- Giant Pouched Rat
- Hairy Nose Wombat

I have hundreds of these. And most are to somewhat scale. I also made dinosaurs too. If the creature was too big i would tape separate pieces of paper together to make them the right size.

Zoobooks and other illustrated animal encyclopedias were all I would check out at the library for years! While everyone would go to the fiction sections, I would go straight to the non-fiction section.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 01:11:56 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 01:15:01 am »
Reminds of when I was ten. :)

Back then, I used unfolded cereal boxes to make different backdrops, usually urban settings, with one side acting as the buildings and the other serving as the road.

I also had the habit of molding balls of paper into different creatures, sometimes creating sentient creatures, though I usually just made different kinds of dragons, cuz they r teh awesome. 8) They weren't perfect, usually being wildly assymetrical, or sometimes even losing a limb or two due to wear and tear. Despite all of their flaws, they were all pretty awesome back when they lasted. :)

Good times, good times... :)

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 05:23:19 pm »
I think I may have posted these somewhere else, but I'll post them here, too. I have a bunch more in a box in my closet, but I have yet to scan them in. I have tried to put them in order from oldest to newest, but I never cataloged them so I really have no idea.

This is some kind of creature and a creature on a plant of some kind... I probably was not very old for this one.

When I was younger we had a Mac and on that Mac we had SimCity 2000. Endless hours of fun there! Well, this is obviously inspired by that.

I'm guessing I was a little older than the first drawing here. This was my vision for what a city future on the moon might look like.

I think this was inspired after I saw the Star Wars Special Editions in the theater.

Not sure about the age on this one, but I had envisioned this space ship completely with all the parts included.

This one was inspired by Roller Coaster Tycoon. Remember that game? Awesome memories.

We're getting older now. I think this was done in junior high. Look I discovered shading!

Also in junior high. Looking at this one you probably couldn't tell much difference between me now and then. Also, robots!

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 11:08:35 am »
Found a whole bunch of stuff last night. Let's start with 5th grade, 2000-2001. I was 9/10. By the way everything here is a school assignment. I didn't draw in my free time.

I had a big problem with finishing stuff because I was a perfectionist.

But I was quite proud of this one.

Here is a stoner bunny. (?)

cartoon Man

Gay pride cowboy? (?????????)

Next up, 3rd grade, where it gets a lot more interesting.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.