Author Topic: Drupe (Huck's RPG/sandbox game in early alpha)  (Read 2220 times)

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
Drupe (Huck's RPG/sandbox game in early alpha)
« on: May 08, 2010, 02:16:27 am »
Ok, I decided to do as dnd adviced and make a seperate thread for this. Here is the latest version;

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NCP558ND

Version 0.3.0

Another non-features patch, rather I dedicated most of my time to fixing issues.

Notes:

A huge rework of how items work in the bag and the bag in general. Try it out and see if it works better than before. Bugs fixed in the progress: Opening the bag over an item will no longer put it in your bag. Items should not dissappear as often now, report if you are still experiencing this and see if you can figure out the circumstances for when this occurs. To ease the testing experience I added extra tools on the ground so you have at least 2 of each tool. This bug will not be as severe when you can actually craft your own tools.

Character customisatons 1.0! Change your face type, your skin color and your name before starting.

New UI in the bottom right with buttons for save/load to directory, resize screen, and start new game.

Expanded the world to the south and the east a bit to see how well the game handles it performance-wise.

Added something of an LOD system for events rather than graphics, increasing performance. Please report if something causes performance drop.

The making of traps! Or rather the very humble beginings of it. Dig a hole. Cover it with thatch (build with reed) and chase a rabbit onto it. There's no bait at the moment, so the trap is not very useful yet. Baits for rabbits will come with farming, something I hope to add soon.

And as allways; bug fixes.

Basic Controlls:

Movement keys are used for moving around (Might change)

You use the mouse to move items (that are close to you). Right clicking equips an item in your bag.

P - Your pack. You can not walk when having your pack open. Some items can stack, others might however bug if you put them right on top of each other or grab them both at once.

A - View attributes and status.

You have different types of targeting, they are the following;

C - The "use" target. Allows activation of the non-combat function of the equiped tool when CTRL is pressed.

B - The "build" target. Drag material to the target to build there. This targets color changes based on what the result will be. Purple is a normal block. Tan is a block on top of another block. Red is a block built on water that function as a bridge or the like.

X - the attack target.

CTRL - Activate. Attack when X is active, use when C is active etc. When a bow and arrow is equiped it is shoot. Holding CTRL makes you walk 1 pixel when you tap the movement keys, and it doesn't change the direction of your aim. This allows for much more accurate "aiming" when building.

R - Rest. Regen stamina and health faster.

SHIFT - Sprint.

HOME - Restarts the game.

Click the "buttons" on the status bars to toggle showing the exact numbers on the bar or hiding them.

(I will update the game guide when I feel like it to be more helpful.)

Hope you try it out and enjoy it!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 10:39:18 am by Huckbuck »

@davidramnero

Offline Putspooza

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
Re: Drupe (Huck's RPG/sandbox game in early alpha)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 03:06:15 am »
Downloading....Downloading...

Downloaded!

EDIT:

Crashed when I tried to move with the attributes screen open.

Outputted the message "Failed to load game data. File seems corrupted"

Edit2: wait. I guess it didn't crash? well it did give me a "send/don't send error report" thing.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 03:35:06 am by Putspooza »

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 05:21:25 am »
Hmm... weird.. I am trying to recreate but I do not have any problem with it at all. The output message seems really strange, I have never experienced anything like that..  ???
@davidramnero

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 07:52:25 am »
Megaupload says the file is temporary unavailable ???
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 09:32:02 am »
Try again after a few minutes, that seems to happen randomly.

EDIT: Just found a huge bug causing items to disappear myself. I have tracked it down and fixed it, but be aware that in 0.3.0 you will still have items disappear.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 12:18:27 pm by Huckbuck »
@davidramnero

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 03:03:22 pm »
Drupe version 0.4.0; Farming!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S08MIV15

Changes:

The trees (and the new carrots) now got a life cycle. They spread their seeds, grow and die.

Seeds from carrots and trees can be planted (pick carrots and carrot seeds without weapon equiped, with C-target and press ctrl. You plant seeds the same way.)

Vegetation grow better on fields created with the hand plow. They are also affected by the water level of the fields. Water is generated by the new rain, and can be added manually with the cup as well or by building a ditch.

Carrots aren't eadible yet, though rabbits love them! Placing them on traps (described last patch notes) is effective!

Fixed many bugs with items. Please report everything regarding items that is bugged (except maybe things regarding arrows, I know they are bugged as hell).

You now have icons that pop up under your name warning you if your health, thirst or energy.

Fixed loads of other bugs, tweaked things such as how fast you get hungry and how your stamina affects your speed.
@davidramnero

Offline Summoner

• BurgerTime Chef
  • I wont stab you... or will i?
    • View Profile
    • Summoners Deviant Art Page
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 08:46:55 pm »
Any pictures of this game before i play?

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 02:08:22 am »
Awesome game! What program are you using to make the game?

EDIT: How are you suppose to use items? CTRL is dong nothing after i press C.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 02:33:23 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 10:33:37 am »
Thanks! :) That depends on how you want to use them and which items you are speaking of.
@davidramnero

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 02:31:27 pm »
Thanks! :) That depends on how you want to use them and which items you are speaking of.

Well I was just trying to equip anything. I tried the shirt and pants but apparently they would not go on. Then I tried putting the sword or handaxe or garden hoe but it just won't hold on to it. All I can do is stick them all in the pack or place them in a new spot on the ground. :(

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 10:38:39 am »
Right-click the item in your bag first.

Added it to the controlls section of the first post.
@davidramnero

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 02:14:00 pm »
Finally, a new version! :D

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DGMCTCVW

Drupe V 0.4.2

Changes:

Bushes now grow and die in the same way as trees. They also produce berries which the players can pick and eat. When the foxes eat berries they will provide the seeds of the berries with ideal conditions after defacating (AKA bushes grow from fox poop).

Foxes have had a lot of tweaks and improvements. They can rest, their behaviour has been modified in many ways and:

Copulation! The animals now perform copulation (largely not visually represented) and give birth.

There is now a warning for exiting the game when pressing ESC.

Bugs here and there and stuff I made before this drought period that I do not remember.
@davidramnero

Offline Summoner

• BurgerTime Chef
  • I wont stab you... or will i?
    • View Profile
    • Summoners Deviant Art Page
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 02:31:05 pm »
The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 03:28:32 pm »
Try again after a few mins, that error is common with megaupload.
@davidramnero