Author Topic: Yu-gi-oh!...No,you moron! Not the TV Series, the TCG!  (Read 7824 times)

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
Yu-gi-oh!...No,you moron! Not the TV Series, the TCG!
« on: May 03, 2010, 06:57:38 pm »
Anyone actually ever play the trading card game? It was pretty fun, but from what I can tell, it's players are few, far between, and DEEEEEP in hiding, for fear of being shunned by general soceity. Well, I'm already shunned, so I really don't care, so I'd figure I'd ask. I really wasn't a big fan of the anime, but the card game was kinda fun, as I said.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
Re: Yu-gi-oh!...No,you moron! Not the TV Series, the TCG!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 12:38:14 pm »
I used to play when I was like seven, back when it's acceptable to play a children's card game. Don't get me wrong from time to time I still play the gba versions but ever since 5Ds came out I found it to just be stupid.

Online Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 04:01:15 pm »
Played it back when it was considered cool. Though to be honest I always preferred Magic: The Gathering, which I was thinking of try to get into again.

EDIT: Though thinking back, it was people not knowing how to play and stupid house rules that ruined it. Playing without needing tributes to play high level monsters just doesn't work, god damn it!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:09:25 pm by Person21 »
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 06:24:20 pm »
Yeah, 5d's kinda killed it. I mean, GX was so stupid I couldn't stand it, but....motorcycles? SERIOUSLY? I really don't even like the Anime in general, I just liked the TCG.

Offline Lush City

• Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 05:35:51 pm »
Played it nonstop since it came out. Never had much of a shortage; there are tourneys here every sunday. Wanna play online?

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 12:37:33 pm »
Meh.  Played when it first came out, went to a tournament or two.  It just didn't have any strategy at the time, it was all about who drew their Change of Hearts, Dark Holes, Monster Reborns, Harpie's Feather Dusters, and Raigekis first.  Nowadays I have to admit that it's grown up a lot and there's a difference between a skilled player and a player with a good deck, but I don't really want to invest two grand in a deck right now, especially when I'm already playing Magic all the time.  I do still get all the World Championship games though, put a couple hundred hours into each of 'em.

Slightly off-topic, but as far as the anime/manga goes, I still love the original manga, especially the pre-tcg stuff when Joey actually had some balls.  My guess is, they froze off when he jumped in the ocean after the Exodia pieces.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 02:41:06 pm »
*looks at above*
lololololololololololololololololololololol..............

@person21
yeah.
"I play my level 10 godcard on the first turn and I can blow you away next turn pew!"

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 03:22:05 pm »
Technically, those were never cards.  They DID make promos of the egyptian gods though, but they don't even have the effects listed and there's huge bolt print on the bottom saying 'THIS CARD CANNOT BE USED IN A DUEL.'  Any other monsters in that category, other than Moisture Queen and Gilford the Lightning, require some alternate cost to be summoned anyways such as the Legendary Beasts from GX, Hamon, Raviel and Uria, or Lv monsters such as Horus the Black Flame Dragon.  Of course, Guilford and the Queen don't even get to activate their effects unless they're tribute summoned, so really all they get is a big dude, and in YuGiOh the bigger the dude, the more removal can kill it.

But yeah, trust me when I say that in the current version of the game, if you want to summon something high-level without taking two or three turns to set up tribute, it's no problem.  Just check out any Horus/Jinzo lockdown deck if you want to see it done.  Thanks to cards like Dandylion, Soul Exchange, Brain Control, Metal Reflect Slime, even Ancient Rules.  You can do pretty much whatever you want.

I would make all those card names into image links, but I'm lazy.

Online Person21

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 03:49:28 pm »
"I play my level 10 godcard on the first turn and I can blow you away next turn pew!"

Pfft. Real Men don't wait a turn  ::)

Anyway, lucky I can play my stupid promo card. It kills god cards, the movie said so.
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 08:40:25 am »
So.. anybody up for a duel?

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 10:47:48 am »
I remember years ago during the very breif period of time I was interested in this game, I encountered someone who had built an entire deck out of Exodia cards, or whatever the name of that instant win guy was.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 06:15:20 pm »
There are like seven "instant win guy"s. I just love how after a decade, you can tell real fans from the faddies.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 10:37:48 pm »
Well actually there's two that are "you win the game" effects and not things like OTKs by damage or deck destruction, and those are Exodia and Destiny Board.  Now, There IS Victory Dragon as well, but he doesn't win the game by himself, you need to kill someone with him in a match and you auto-win the rest of the duels with them.  Of course, VD is banned from all tournament play for a reason.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 09:24:56 am »
It was hyperbole, but yeah the games changed. I'm still up for a web duel if anyones game.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 09:53:25 am »
What client do you propose?  Workstation, or the official client?  Or maybe one of the DS games.