3 (20%)
Biology
3 (20%)
Wildlife
3 (20%)
Planet FLRX
3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: The Nymeidians. We grow from fungus~  (Read 18554 times)

Offline Lush City

• SunDog Pilot
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
Re: The Nymeidians. We grow from fungus~
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 08:34:33 am »
Oh I was waiting for this.

A. Gravity. Anti-matter has mass, and thus is affected by gravity just like any other substance, a large mass of it would lump together and form and object the same way our planets were formed from dust.

B. You say that NYC thing a lot. Moons float in EMPTY SPACE the only matter it comes in contact with are stray particles from space, and acording to the laws of physics, antimatter and matter are destroyed in Equal Amounts. So sure the atmosphere gets hit with the energy equivlance of a couple nukes but since energy can't cause destruction (conservation of mass) all they do is stir the clouds up a bit. The interplanetary void acts as a natural protection agent against destruction.

You shouldn't go throwing tropes around unless you can back them up.

Offline Lush City

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 08:43:54 am »
To add an adendm (cell phones don't allow edits). While the EXPLOSION wipes out the city, only a teaspoon of mass is actualy gone, the rest is just moved around, likewise as NLSS is hit withv cosmic dust, high powered explosions dot its. Atmosphere. But seeing as how no matter of minute explosions could wipe out the whole moon. Likewise, a signifcang mass COULD sunder the moon (if it somehow got through enough atmosphere to be of optimal location) but FLRX acts as a gravity well, either slinging stray rocks away or pulling them down to FLRX itself.

Offline Kitkat

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 09:37:36 am »
Really, you can't defend this. I know about the rule of cool and all that, but this is just silly. There's no way that this could work. It may sound cool, but it just can't happen.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino
And The Ni'Calls

Offline Lush City

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 10:16:02 am »
I just proved how this could hapen. As long as its possible I can use it. The physics work out so can we just let this one ride? Id much prefer questions about the Nymeidians,  not scientific analysis. The biology will be posted this afternoon and the World of FLRX update a bit after that.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 04:12:18 pm »
I just proved how this could hapen. As long as its possible I can use it. The physics work out so can we just let this one ride? Id much prefer questions about the Nymeidians,  not scientific analysis. The biology will be posted this afternoon and the World of FLRX update a bit after that.

Actually you didn't. How would you explain the large amounts of energy created from reactions such as these? The force of an asteroid hitting a moon is quite powerful by itself, but if the asteroid were made up of matter and the moon made up of anti-matter, this would create a huge amount of energy. We're talking the kind of energy that shifts planets out of their orbits. And since this is only a moon, orbiting a nearby larger planet, it would eventually knock it off its orbit and into the planet itself. Goodbye planet and goodbye any chance of creating any ecosystem whatsoever.

You can go ahead and write about this all you want, but no one will take you seriously, or accept your creatures as actual canon until you get rid of such a blatantly unrealistic error. Don't be angry if no one wants to RP with you.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Crossbow Sharpshooter
  • Ahhhh....nothing quite like the basics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 05:26:47 pm »
Dude. Let me explain something. ENERGY. EVEN THOUGH THE LAW OF CONSERVATION EXISTS. CAN CAUSE DAMAGE. Plasma does damage beyond heat. EMP fatally damages electronic devices. ANTIMATTER DETONATIONS RELEASE LARGE AMOUNTS OF ENERGY. IT CAN CAUSE DAMAGE. And antimatter does not clump. In fact, the only way antimatter forms in planet-sized amounts is through something like the Big Bang, and that has long sence worn off. Remember, Matter and Antimatter are asymmetric. They do not exist in equal amounts. Between micrometoroids, solar wind, and all the other junk in space, including neutrino particles AKA dark matter, your antimatter planet goes boom.

Offline UFO King

• Spy Hunter Spook
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 06:47:49 pm »
Yeah. Do you really expect us to believe that enough anti-matter was floating around in one general area of a matter galaxy that it clumped together without any matter destroying it?
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Lush City

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 07:00:05 pm »
I just proved how this could hapen. As long as its possible I can use it. The physics work out so can we just let this one ride? Id much prefer questions about the Nymeidians,  not scientific analysis. The biology will be posted this afternoon and the World of FLRX update a bit after that.

Actually you didn't. How would you explain the large amounts of energy created from reactions such as these? The force of an asteroid hitting a moon is quite powerful by itself, but if the asteroid were made up of matter and the moon made up of anti-matter, this would create a huge amount of energy. We're talking the kind of energy that shifts planets out of their orbits. And since this is only a moon, orbiting a nearby larger planet, it would eventually knock it off its orbit and into the planet itself. Goodbye planet and goodbye any chance of creating any ecosystem whatsoever.

You can go ahead and write about this all you want, but no one will take you seriously, or accept your creatures as actual canon until you get rid of such a blatantly unrealistic error. Don't be angry if no one wants to RP with you.
I'm sorry, that was my fault; I wasn't properly informing you. You see, if you recall the planet sheet FLRX and NLSS are very close in mass and gravitational effects, this creates an almost binary planet type system in which any foreign material is either slingshotted way from them both, or drawn into FLRX. Because of this, FLRX doesn’t share the asteroid shielding effects that Luna gives Earth, and it has far more craters. This was hinted at when I said
Likewise, a significant mass COULD sunder the moon (if it somehow got through enough of the atmosphere to be of optimal location) but FLRX acts as a gravity well, either slinging stray rocks away or pulling them down to FLRX itself.
I apologize for not giving more detail on the manner of their repulsion, The FLRX-NLSS gravity effect is actually a major plot point and will be delved upon later in their history (Starting at the dawn of the Nymeidian Golden Age). To sate you until then, the next in the series of updates will be released today. The amount of energy released is rather minute, about the force of a couple of nukes per day.  Space is just that , mostly empty, anything big enough to do  significant damage is shunted away by the gravity effect, and all the rest is too small to do any worse than a large explosion. So sure the upper atmosphere of NLSS is filled with blatts non-stop, there is really no way for an explosion, even one that big (which is rather minute in the scales of the planet)  to really affect FLRX that way. NLSS is a very small leftover piece of a once large chunk of anti-matter, as it went through the (mostly positive matter) universe, contact with matter whittled it away to its current size, once it fell to rest in the IOUY system and fell into orbit with what would become FLRX, the contact with positive matter so little that it dint do much damage.
Dude. Let me explain something. ENERGY. EVEN THOUGH THE LAW OF CONSERVATION EXISTS. CAN CAUSE DAMAGE. Plasma does damage beyond heat. EMP fatally damages electronic devices. ANTIMATTER DETONATIONS RELEASE LARGE AMOUNTS OF ENERGY. IT CAN CAUSE DAMAGE. And antimatter does not clump. In fact, the only way antimatter forms in planet-sized amounts are through something like the Big Bang, and that has long since worn off. Remember, Matter and Antimatter is asymmetric. They do not exist in equal amounts. Between micrometeoroids, solar wind, and all the other junk in space, including neutrino particles AKA dark matter, your antimatter planet goes boom.

Let's crunch the numbers here, given the sum of all the dust, particles, solar winds and other assorted space junk that passes through the natural defenses  of the FLRX-NLSS gravity wells, there’s about a pound of mass hitting NLSS a day. That's about a total of 435 Nagasaki bombs per day. Now, each of these explosions is happening at infinitesimal occasions, all spread out through the planet, occurring at the edge of the NLSS atmosphere. Realistically, that's not close to enough power to make it to the surface let alone blow up the planet or change its orbit like you've suggested. In order to cause the amount of damage you have stated (lets go with destabilizing its orbit for the bare minimum) that would require an asteroid to hit with a mass of 4.11568409 E13 Kilograms (for reference, Pluto has a mass of 1.3 E22 Kg) Since anything of that size wouldn’t hit outside of very rare circumstances (about the odds of something like Haley’s Comet hitting earth). So frankly NLSS would be relatively harmless to any FLRX life, despite the fact that most of it evolved while NLSS was in orbit.

Yeah. Do you really expect us to believe that enough anti-matter was floating around in one general area of a matter galaxy that it clumped together without any matter destroying it?

Enough? In terms of scaling a planet-sized hunk of anti-matter is chump change compared to the size of the universe. Back at the point of time fresh off the big bang, where there were just huge chunks of Anti- and positive matter around, the imbalance resulted in a positive matter dominated universe (in comparison to Anti-Matter, positive matter actually holds a very small percentage of the universe), with anti-matter being regulated to fields that rapid decay (such as the effect of putting an ice cube in hot water.) As these chunks eventually were used up, (relatively) microscopic bits got caught "in-between"; falling into areas where the matter content is so low that they could "survive." NLSS is one of those examples. It's technically still decaying, but at such a rate that it can remain "stable" enough to from a system with FLRX.

Offline Clarke

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 09:23:45 pm »
Ignoring all of the other things that are wrong with it, thats not how planets form. Early solar systems are chaotic belts of matter. Any antimatter, no matter how concentrated, would be destroyed in a relatively short time.

And antimatter has just as much mass as regular matter. Mass would be drawn into each of the binary partners equally.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:25:25 pm by Clarke »

Offline UFO King

• Spy Hunter Spook
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 10:46:22 pm »
It's like talking to a garden shed. Every time we try to reason with him, he just pulls some made-up (or deliberately ignorant) physics out of his ass.

Let's just pretend that the anti-matter moon doesn't exist.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Lush City

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2010, 07:14:42 am »
As you migt have noticed, there was no update yesterday. Unfortunately, a vicious Data Vampire attack has rendered it null. It will be posted today however, I just thought you might want to know the reason for its delay.

Offline Lush City

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2010, 07:12:40 am »
(placeholder)

Offline Lush City

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile