Author Topic: I've had this in my mind for a while, but It's still a work in progress.  (Read 5129 times)

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
I want to design games after I get out of college. It's my calling. I've had an idea in the back of my head for about two months, for a game based on some of the creatures here. The main character is a Photos Lieutennate named Ky'ria. The first mission I had in my head is called "Morning Patrol". The game introduces the controls for vehicles and weapons through a "refresher course" for Ky'ria and a patrol assignment. However, when you reach the end of the level, a cutscene plays where several wormholes open, and three squads of Shadow grunts start attacking. This brings me to a subidea I had. Rather than loading screens, find a way to have the next level load during cutscenes. Anyway, over your comms system, the base prompts you to retreat, as they are too powerful for your squad. However, in standard Photos fashion, you use buildings and cover to defeat the grunts. The commander applauds your moxy, but advises you not to do so again:
"That was spectacular, Ky'ria! It, however, would not be recomended to ignore a direct order like that again. Understood?"
"Yessir."
This is not going to be Half-life, Ky'ria will talk. Other enemies include a wildlife creature called a Vor'kasa, which has a scripted combat sequence. It picks you up in it's pincers, and starts squeezing. You have to shoot the eyes, or you continuously loose health. I also plan to impliment a death sequence thing like in Dead Space. This isn't everything, I'll update more aftah my homework is done.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
Dynamic Melee:
Dynamic Melee is an idea I had for this, though I don't know if it exists. Essentially, I'm going to use a Garan Seperatist Photos enemy as an example for my description. If I'm in melee range, aiming at the head, and hit the melee button, Ky'ria will raise his rifle over his head and send it crashing down on the enemy's head. This does the most damage. If I'm aiming at the abdomen, he'll execute a generic buttstroke at the target. This does medium damage, but knocks the enemy back a short distance. If aiming at the legs, it's a little different. I need to do it at about 2 ingame feet from the enemy (Your HUD has a range indicator, or at least I plan it to). He'll toss his rifle up, grabbing it by the barrel, and charge at the enemy. He'll strike it in the shin with the rifle butt, like you would with a bat, and charge into them with his shoulder paulderon at the same time. While this, overall, does the least damage, it knocks most humanoid opponents down. This leaves you to stylishly and threatlessly finish them with gunfire, or stall them while dealing with tougher enemies.

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
I had a similar idea, in which SPORE procedural technology would allow you to aim at which specific parts of your opponent you wanted to dismembr, so you cut off a head, an arm, a leg etc.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
They already have that. look at dead space.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
Dificulty levels
Easy: Enemies have poor accuracy, low health, and are semi-aggressive. Health Bar Present.
Medium: Enemies are accurate, have intermediate health, and are aggressive. Health Bar Present.
Realistic: Enemies are very accurate, have a lot of health, and are very aggressive. Blood loss hampers accuracy, EKG readout present.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
WEAPONS:
I'll tell about some of the weapons over the course of several posts.

PLASMA RIFLE:
Damage: 10 (Most Enemies have 100 health)
Range: 100 ingame feet
Ammo: Energy
Rate of Fire:40 bolts/minute
Bio: The first weapon you aquire, not particularly powerful but is highly accurate.

PLASMA CARBINE:
Damage: 15
Range: 60 ingame feet
Secondary: Plasma Grenade
Rate: 80 Bolts/minute
Bio: A weapon you aquire in the fourth level, the Plasma Carbine is much more powerful than the Plasma Rifle in terms of DPS, but has a shorter range, and as such, requires more skill to use effectively.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
What if they have mainstream virtual reality by 2018?
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
I would SOOOO Buy it!
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
Yeah, that would be awesome. How does this sound so far? Look interesting? Look like something you'd rather go watch paint dry then play?

Offline TimeMaster

• Qix Crazy
  • Captain, we're eaten by a gluttonous black hole!
    • View Profile
Very interesting, however, in "Realistic" mode, enemies should have normal accuracy, not almost-perfect accuracy, except for robots which should have almost-perfect accuracy in exchange for not being as smart.
:o Whoa... that was deep.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
That's a thought. Also, here's a thing on some of the different vehicles I've had planned.
EDIT: When I hit enter, it posted rather than skipping a line.
You can either find vehicles in the combat zone, in various states of damage, or you can buy them, using money you accumulate throughout the storyline. You can buy almost all the vehicles at special hangars, except for unique ones, or overpowered ones. There are several different rules that handle each.
WARWHYR:
I want to have this a frequent find throughout the game. You will use all the variants except for the A, sence it's a transport, though I intend to have the player ride in it. It also should be relativly cheap. To get in, you stand on the turret and press E. Or so I plan.

TANKS: While the various Photos (and other race!) tanks and other armoured vehicles look vastly different, the general rule of tongue is to get in at the turret. Photos vehicles can be purchased at the hangar, as always, for a pretty even sum, depending on the particular vehicle.

MECHS: Ah, the creme de la crop. Big, loud, proud, and equally expensive. The most heavily armed, and most expensive, ground unit you will find. You get in at the cockpit, werever it may be. These are a little tricky, because unless you're in an armour with a jet/jump pack (armours will be described soon), you won't be able to get back in most mechs in the field. Some mechs "kneel" over when powered down in the field, so you can climb up the leg and such, and get back in. In the hangar, you'll have access to an elevator to get in.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:25:06 pm by GroxGlitch »

Offline TimeMaster

• Qix Crazy
  • Captain, we're eaten by a gluttonous black hole!
    • View Profile
Ooh, mechs.  I think you should be able to buy unique vehicles at certain specific hangars, but they should cost the money.  Because where did the people who lost them get them?

Also, this.

HUMVEES: You drive can drive very fast in them (good escape method as they can trample as well), but they aren't equipped with so many weapons as tanks.
:o Whoa... that was deep.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
A rule of thumb for war-games, Artillary, Tanks, Transports,Gunships,Engineers, Infantry, and Dropships (along with some kind of mobile command center or some permeation thereof) are usually considered the "standard seven." Most designers dress em up before hand, and for you I'm sure its going to be no differnt, but most if not all vehicles lump into those seven.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
Sounds somewhat interesting, but as someone who is currently in University learning to make videogames, let me say that they are very difficult to make.  At least to make anything big.  This idea could work it you scale it back to a 2D game, maybe a platformer.  You may be able to make it in full someday, but that'll be a long way's off.

Of course, I have my share of pipedream games in mind as well, and I'm not giving up on them anytime soon.  In fact I did one up recently.  My point is, its a lot harder to make a game than it is to come up with the concept of a game, but that doesn't mean its a waste of time to come up with distant plans.

Just one last thing, you seem to be focusing on smaller details like what kind of vehicals there are or how much damage weapons do rather than looking at the bigger picture.  Plot, graphics, locations.  These sort of things are more important to hammer out than individual types of things.

But still, keep at it.  Who knows where this idea may go.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
In reality, I'm posting this stuff as I flesh it out myself. I don't have the whole plot and such figured out yet, so I'm posting the stuff I DO have inbetween getting the major breakthroughs.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
What I'm saying is you need to focus on those major breakthroughs before the small stuff.  When they made Mass Effect, they didn't start out by deciding how much health a geth had.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
You lost me after "Mass Effect"....just kidding.
But still, after all, you did say I'm a long way from doing any of this, so I'm not all that concerned.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
Likewise, I suggest you keep it 8-bit; you could probably get in a half-way decent game by next year. Upgrades can be done later.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
You know, 8-bit is just as difficult as a nicer looking 2d game, if not more dificult due to the art style.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
Really? I would of thought it definantly would be easier on the hardware.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
It's all the same at this point.  Any 8-bit image you make is still being interpreted as a 32-bit image.  Besides, 8-bit was necessary when computers were more than a thousand times slower than they are now.  There is no need whatsoever to worry about things like that.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
I did alot of thinking about this, and I'm going to go over some of the missions and stuff. But not in one post. Before I start talking about the missions, however, I'm going to post a weapon, sence I already have a model.

KY'RIA'S PLASMA PISTOL:
Damage: 8
Range: 80 ingame feet
Rate of Fire: As fast as you can click.
Bio: Ky'ria's custom-built pistol. It packs quite a punch for a pistol, and can be fired quite fast, but can overheat equally fast (I should explain. Weapons with the Energy ammo don't have ammo. Rather, they build up heat, acting as a limit of their firing. It dispells over time.). It has a shorter range and less hitting power than a standard Plasma Rifle, but is more accurate, and can have a higher rate of fire, and can be a good backup weapon if your energy weapon overheats, or your primary is otherwise inoperable.
Anyway...

Mission 1: Morning Patrol: OVERVIEW:
You (playing as Ky'ria) wake up in the bunk area of the Photos outpost you are stationed at. There is nothing on your screen, as far as HUD goes. You get out of bed, and look around, as your vision sharpens. You see your armour in it's housing on the wall. The screen fades to black for a second, while you hear some armour fiddling sounds (clink, clank, thunk, sounds like that, along with kevlar-like sounds), and when the screen fades from black, your HUD boots up and your crosshairs and such appear. You look at your pistol sitting on the desk, and pick it up. When it gets off screen, you get control. Walk over to the door and press E, opening it. The little communications box in the upper right hand corner of your HUD goes from snow to the picture of a gruff, helmetless Photos.
"Ky'ria! I see you're finally up. Took long enough. Your orders are to go to the training area and run the course. It's been a while sence you've seen combat, better go through the course then get killed in your first foray." After the little box goes to snow again, you walk to the other end of the base, talking to fellow soldiers and other people, until you get to the other end, where the training area is. You run the course, learning the controls of the game.
I'll finish tomorrow, I'll have to go to bed in a little while.