Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 55968 times)

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
Haven and Hearth
« on: April 20, 2010, 06:57:50 pm »
Gentlemen.

Haven and Hearth
Haven and Hearth Wiki <-- should answer pretty much any question you ever have, but feel free to ask us as well

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v72vZb2FL5M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v72vZb2FL5M</a>

edit: **** you imageshack you useless dick

Spotted this game in a thread elsewhere. We've only just begun building a village. Above you see our first house which we use to store our food and stuff.
We'll get around to houses we can live in soon. But we need your help.
We want more workers. There are tons of jobs to fill.

Quick overview-
  • Huge skill tree with loads of tradeskills and abilities
  • Semi-realtime crafting. Growing crops? Gonna take 24 hours. It helps balance the game so jobs and items are highly valued.
  • Runs in Java. Easy on your PC.
  • Day and night system, including lunar cycles that affect wildlife
  • Massive world with a few hundred players all making their own way, either alone or together
  • Hunger management system. As you spend stamina, your food meter replenishes it.
  • Eat different food to raise your base stats, spend points in general skill values or buy new abilities
  • Produce, expand, and perhaps conquer
  • Game is highly functional and only in alpha. New developments big and small.
  • FREE.

We'd like you to join us in our quest to rough it in the woods. Maybe one day we'll be like one of those big towns everyone talks about and wants to join.
Just some quick directions if you want to get access to our little camp.

First of all when making a new character, right click on the guy on the left. He'll incarnate you. Click on him again to change gender.
The guy holding the flag will let you give yourself a name.
Right click on the chest. There's a radial sort of menu toward the bottom of the screen. Click on the coinpurse to open your inventory.
Shift click on the items in the chest to transfer them to your inventory. Close the chest by walking away or by clicking the X in the corner of its window.
Click the shield/sword/purple shirt button to open equipment. The interface is not click+drag, it's click+click. Clicking on an item will grab it, so now click it on the body of your character in the equipment screen. It'll fall into the proper slot automatically.
So put on the hat, shirt, pants, and shoes.
Avoid the ladder. That dumps you randomly in the wilderness, something we really want to avoid.
Instead, go talk to the dude in the back. He'll ask you for a "hearth secret". This is a password anyone can set for their hearth fire, their respawn point. With their password, you can enter the world there rather than randomly in the wilderness.

My hearth secret is "Fantastico", without quotes obviously. This should bring you to our camp.
EDIT: This has recently been changed. If you want access to the camp, you should try to survive in the wild on your own for a little. No more hand holding.
Roughly anything you need to know is in the wiki.

If you need any help, try to consult the wiki. We've been playing for a couple of days so we have some idea of what role you can fill. However, if you want to do your own thing, by all means go ahead.
Start off with some basics like fishing, foraging, hunting, and farming. You'll need to perform some basic actions to generate learning points that you can spend on skills.
They're fairly cheap in the beginning, but they get more expensive (and often more complex) as you go further up the skill tree. In these situations, it pays to have other people to work with you.

So far we've got myself, Yossitaru, Kratok, and Mr. Wizard in on it a bit.
Yossitaru is working toward opening up a mine so we can secure ores, Kratok is thinking of becoming a hunter and/or animal caretaker, and Mr. Wizard is pretty good with fishing though I think we have plenty of fish for now.  :P
I'm aiming toward farming, growing crops. I'm also a really good forager/herbalist.

Hope that helps you out a bit.
Let us know if you need anything else.

EDIT: Oh, hey. Here's some new guidelines for new players. You want to hang with the cool guys, you follow these.

1. Keep it organized, save time, limit waste.
As of this writing there are three buildings.
The first one from the direction of the port is the Food House, sometimes referred to as "House 1". Take what you need when you need it, but please read up on your attributes and the Food Event Point values for your food. Take into account what skills/profession stuff you want to specialize in or branch from and which attributes affect them.
The only effect is to raise quality of goods, which is a fundamental aspect of this game.
The middle house, "House 2" is more for crafts and such. It holds the equipment locker, plants for string products, raw glass, feathers, bones, etc..
The end house, "House 3" is kind of a double-up of House 2, though it tries to contain entirely different items like wood blocks, boards, straw, seeds, and bricks which we use for trades.
Some items like the bricks end up overflowing into other containers when planning a larger trade. Use your best judgement.

Short list of things you can usually take freely, to craft or construct things you need:
  • Roast meat products (for the time being, baked goods are intended for higher level members)
  • String (nettle or taproot will work as "string")
  • Wood blocks/boards (we don't want to store these, but we do because they expire if left outside a container; these are usually leftovers)
  • Empty containers, like urns or baskets (don't use chests; those are used for trading goods should the opportunity come up)
  • Any fishing-related equipment
  • New clogs if yours are broken. If none are available, ask someone to make you some. Nobody else around? Make your own.
  • Dreams, if you need to move your hearth fire somewhere else.

If you can manage to help us secure us more of something that's in pretty short supply, at least to the point where we're making dedicated storage space for it, then you can probably consider it part of this list as well. However, take into consideration the following directive--

2. When in doubt, ask first. But ask first anyway.
Make sure you ask what you should and should not be doing before you do anything. There are things in this game that can take up to 24 hours wait for them to become available (for example, growing trees, farming, sericulture), and we don't want to mess that up for the guy who has been waiting for it do we?
Try to avoid crafting and then storing a bunch of stuff most people can probably make themselves (and probably at a higher quality), like axes, clogs, fishing lures, ropes, slings, and stuff. We'll probably tell you what's in demand anyway.
Also, don't waste those large boulders on runestones or querns. One day we'll be needing it for stone. Also, they're pretty handy for stone chipping, for beginner LP.
Don't go around the camp or in the surrounding area to cut down trees. We like living in a forest; besides which, they give us many needed resources.
If you see any young trees, don't build near them or you'll stunt their growth.
Don't randomly pave or plow the ground in weird areas. It looks ugly.
Don't build any structures without discussing it with the top guys first. Usually, we'll be the ones to choose when, where, and what is getting built in the settlement.

And hey, if you feel like you're not getting enough action in our settlement, if you're a bit bored, feel free to strike out on your own. That's how I started. I made the settlement so a few of us could get together and hang out; however, the game is indeed in alpha and many occupations are total dead ends.
Just remember that there's only so much you can handle alone unless you enjoy tons of solo grinding.

3. Don't hog beds.
Right clicking and going to sleep on a bed is not the logout function. It's for people who have what is known as the "Travel Weariness" effect. In your adventurer skills menu, there is a Travel action that can take you straight back to your hearth fire from anywhere in the world instantly. The further away you are, the more it fills up your Travel Weariness meter.
You can sleep it off or you can drink beer. We have no beer, so please leave the beds alone.
If you do use one and don't plan on playing again soon, please log back in quickly and then close the Java window manually. Easy.

4.Don't steal from other members, accidentally or otherwise.
Okay, so there's this problem with parties and land claims...
When you are in a party with someone else, you will be able to enter their claim, if any, freely. Just be aware that if you are ever able to simply walk onto a claim, it is probably a party member's claim. Don't take or touch anything on their land. There have been some problems already that we'd like to avoid in the future.
You can tell when you are on a claim when you click the little white totem button above the minimap. It'll toggle claim visibility. Another clue is whether or not you can see what looks like a cow skull totem on the property itself.
If anyone has reason to suspect you, they're not going to want to be in parties with you anymore. Have fun in area chat, bro.

5.Don't give away our position.
We want to avoid any issues with certain undesirable types. We have enough of our own problems as it is.
This game has permadeath you know.
Something to think about.

6.Keep yourself informed.
There may be something going on that you've heard nothing about, or new instructions given out. Read this thread carefully for news or updates, and be sure to check in with your kin now and then.

We're aware the wiki isn't terribly useful at times. I've been trying to update it occasionally with whatever information I can gather.
Here are some dudes you can ask for advice, whether you're in our settlement or off on your own--
Gauphastus
Yossitaru
Met
Husaurus
Kratok
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 07:32:40 am by Gauphastus »

"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 07:02:51 pm »
Of course I'll help you out. What can I do for you today, sirs?

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 07:10:34 pm »
interesting, I was looking for a monotonous task game that allows me to be a hypocrite about games like farmville and the sims

this shall be most exillerating...

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 07:15:56 pm »
Well, we could certainly use a crew of dedicated hunters. You'd need to go out into the wilderness and find stuff like rabbits and chickens at first.
Once you've built up your guy a bit, you could probably take on foxes.

The combat system is unusual to say the least. Read more here--
http://havenandhearth.wikia.com/wiki/Combat_101

We'd like to get some leatherworking done, but that takes a lot of time to actually complete.
Besides, when you start out in this game, it's important to grind a little bit of LP so you can get a batch of low level skills so you can get an idea what you want to do.
That is unless we already have a bunch of people in that area, in which case we'd have to suggest you do something else. Otherwise, whatever.

It's funny because when I first saw screens of this game, I thought it was Farmville. Almost dismissed it entirely.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 07:33:48 pm »
I'm deciding on either going to be a hunter or a smith perhaps both...

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 07:46:30 pm »
Oh yeah. Some advice.
If wandering in the wilderness, be careful of boars and bears. Don't mess with anthills.
They'll end your ass.
If wandering through swamps, check your equipment screen and check for leeches. If they're bloated, save them. We love these things because they can repair damaged hitpoints.

Also, don't buy the swimming skill. Swimming is broken at the moment, requiring about 50 constitution to maybe keep you from drowning instantly.
A bit ridiculous.

Shift + left click to move stuff from a container to your inventory and vice versa, including buildings that are in construction.
Ctrl + left click to drop items directly on the ground.
A recent change to the game is causing some confusion for older players too. You now need to ctrl + left click on the ground to exit a boat when near shore. This is not very obvious, but now you know.
I'll let you know anything else as I remember it.

EDIT: Oh yeah. Be sure to look over all your commands as you purchase new skills. Often new things become available. It's just a matter of finding the materials.
In your adventurer skills, don't neglect the "lift" action. It's very handy for moving heavy objects. Assign it to your hotbar, as you'll likely be using it a lot.

EDIT2: There is currently a bear in our base. There's not much we can do about it at the moment.
Please be careful. He has already knocked me out three times.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 09:02:24 pm by Gauphastus »
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 05:27:28 am »
I'm in!

and I have no idea what it is I'm doing my guy seems to be putting bits of rock into a small vile. Now I seem to be picking up branches. What do I do with them?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 05:30:45 am by Cobra »

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 10:08:05 pm »
I signed up for it.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 03:26:24 am »
It's been challenging finding jobs for people. We've got a couple of people working toward become hunters which is great.

I've been trying very hard to raise my exploration and perception in the hopes that I might find inkweed and rustroot. It's pretty tough. I think the wiki information may be out of date, or perhaps these things are just terribly rare.
Shouldn't be long before the crops are grown too so we can start using straw, plant fiber, and coming up with spare seeds to use as fodder in a chicken coop.

Cobra, there are lots of things you can do with these materials even with basic skills. It's just a matter of finding where to apply them.
Branches can be used to make a fire. You can cook meat over a fire, if you can manage to trap and catch a rabbit or chicken.
Though in our camp we have made a lot of designations by now.

For some training up, you (I mean anyone, just so you can get the hang of the game a bit) could chip stone for a bit (find a big boulder and chip stone), ctrl + left click on the stones as they fill your inventory to drop them on the ground.
When you have around 200 LP, spend it on lumberjacking. Craft a stone axe, borrow a boat (right click > open to see if it's empty first), and venture to some semi-far off-ish place to cut down trees and gather lumber.
In your adventure commands, there's a button called lift. Click that (or drag it to a hotbar key) and right click it on a lumber piece to lift it over your head. Right click on the boat to drop it in. Fill the boat with two pieces and then come back home.
Lug them out of the boat and go get some more. Soon you should have a bit of LP, enough to buy some of the other 200 LP skills.
Look them up on the wiki to find out more. Some are more challenging than others, and we're still only just finding the values of certain skills over the others.

Hopefully you guys sign in at times when someone more experienced can give you a bit of direction. It's not too hard to master.
Just try some stuff out.

By the way, we got a bit done today.

I'm all bandaged up. Stupid boars.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 03:29:44 am by Gauphastus »
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 05:33:39 am »
I might have to try all that when I have a bit more time.

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 05:41:59 am »
I would play, but java freezes my pc!!! Java sucks so much!!!
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 05:48:59 am »
It's been challenging finding jobs for people. We've got a couple of people working toward become hunters which is great.

I've been trying very hard to raise my exploration and perception in the hopes that I might find inkweed and rustroot. It's pretty tough. I think the wiki information may be out of date, or perhaps these things are just terribly rare.

I've been leaning toward becoming a Ranger of Sorts. The outfit boosts all that and I can pair it up with similarly useful skills. Hunting perhaps.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 05:49:58 am »
Oh hey, this will run on my laptop while my good computer is busted.

Include me in!

Edit: laying this aside until i can play with someone who knows what they're doing. However, I call being the village beekeeper when the time comes.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 06:53:50 am by Krakow Sam »
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 07:00:30 am »
I got bunch of bread cluttering my inventory. Where can I dump it?

I did as u recommended chipped stone until I could afford a skill.

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok I sleep all night and I work all
I cut down tree I eat my lunch I got to lavatory
On Wednesdays I go shopping and have buttered scones for tea.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 07:40:54 am »
I bought the foraging skill but I'm damned if I can find anything to forage  :-\
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.