Author Topic: Moving On...  (Read 34225 times)

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
Re: Moving On...
« Reply #300 on: June 01, 2010, 10:55:14 am »
I think Lush has perfected the technique for writing a full post without actually saying anything.
And you have perfected your technique of not adding anything at all to the topic. ::)

In regards to the posting limit, I think this is something that again should not be set in stone.  You should remain aware of how fast you're moving the RP along, and if you notice certain people are falling behind or you've been posting an awful lot, tone it back a bit.
As always, good communication is a MUST. If someone is dragging behind, then he needs to say something but the others should also keep an eye on those who post less or infrequently and ask if they just don't have the time or if the pace should be slowed down.

Flisch! The cycles are an interesting idea but I think it leaves open a major vulnerability by having people post in a set order.
Well, actually I didn't mean a set order. I just meant that everyone has roughly the same amount of posts. But then again, I don't think we need such a strict rule, more a guideline which will only be enforced when things go really awry.
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #301 on: June 01, 2010, 11:04:35 am »
As always, good communication is a MUST. If someone is dragging behind, then he needs to say something but the others should also keep an eye on those who post less or infrequently and ask if they just don't have the time or if the pace should be slowed down.

And I firmly believe that as long as we are talking to one another and airing any grievances we may have in a respectful and thoughtful manner, most of these issues we've been discussing over the last few posts really won't be a problem.

So where are these rules going to be enforced? Gaming steve, or one of the Kosmosis's?

The plan right now is to do a test RP here at Gaming Steve. And then after we've finished it and worked out any kinks, we can decide where to go next. The end result would hopefully have us at a new place, be it a retooled version of Kosmosis or someplace else. Tell me what you're thinking, Spud.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 01, 2010, 11:12:29 am »

And I firmly believe that as long as we are talking to one another and airing any grievances we may have in a respectful and thoughtful manner, most of these issues we've been discussing over the last few posts really won't be a problem.

I'm with Pat on this one.  Most issues we encounter can be resolved on a case by case basis between involved players.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 01, 2010, 12:46:25 pm »
Wasn't that exactly what I said? >_>
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #304 on: June 01, 2010, 01:03:35 pm »
Seems so! That means the three of us agree! Hooray agreement!

Right, so I'm looking over the two proposals we have and Darth and I basically said the same thing with a few minor differences here and there. I especially liked the following segments which I'd like to add to my own proposal if that's okay, Darth.

• On editing posts: please only do so to fix errors, such as spelling and punctuation, or a mistake such as talking to a character who has already left, or naming the wrong person. Do not use the edit function to completely change a post, for reasons such as altering the course of a battle.
  • Always post up a character sheet/bio in the OOC for review and approval by other players before you jump into the RP. The "creator(s)" of the RP should be the one(s) to post up the first character, as to provide an example of what they're looking for.

And then beyond that also include a small section on formatting (which we still need to hammer out but it isn't a priority) and I was also thinking of rewriting the old RP Creation Guide to incorporate some more recent developments and then post that up as supplementary material later on. Thoughts?

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 01, 2010, 01:08:19 pm »
My main point was putting species second and the individual character first.
While I agree with this point, I also think, that we should not abandon species threads altogether. After all we need to gather all the information about a planet/species/whatever in a thread.

I'm down with how most of the guidelines look, but I just wanted to but in with my opinion here, for what its worth. What's set apart the spore universe from other sci-fi RP groups is that they aren't all human. Sure they may RP as aliens, but they're always either humanoids/octupi, or horrific monsters with some sort of super-power. If we RP with a race that hasn't fleshed out, we automatically(and rightfully so)assume that all aspects of the organism, whether it be biological or cultural, that haven't been described resemble human ones. Even the culture is almost exclusively western, simply because thats something we fall back on because its our experience. In this way, RPing with aliens is near exactly the same as RPing with Angloid humans. This may be perfectly acceptable to most coming from the general RP, but I do think that if we are to undergo a merger then we should at least have each species maintain a semi-unique set of cultural traits and ethnic codes. For example, societies in which civil disobedience or communism are ingrained, cultures that value the preservation and collection of knowledge or the eradication of poverty(if only as an ultimate goal, much as the preservation of life is valued in western cultures), or even controversial values such as an indifference toward slavery, murder, and other violent acts, even to the point of valuing them. It adds spice to an RP that would otherwise go missing.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #306 on: June 01, 2010, 01:28:13 pm »
Every opinion is important, Clarke! Thanks for telling us yours.

I'll add to yours and say that part of the thrill of RPing is playing someone or something that isn't like you. We did a few games maybe two years ago or so that were exclusively aimed at being characters (and when you incorporate things like magic, sometimes you aren't doing human) that were totally against the paradigms that the majority of us abide by. The Super Villain RP is a good example and it was pretty nifty for a while. One game we didn't get to do, but one that I would still love to try, is to play as characters in a world where our perspectives of right and wrong were flipped. You're so right about it adding spice to the game. And I'll even go one further by saying that playing something that you're not helps you better understand yourself. When you write something and go to proof it and you find yourself saying "oh wow, where did that come from?", that's something to ponder.

I'm hoping we have a wide assortment of wacky creatures and exotic locales. I had this idea for an arc the other day where we basically have to go visit a planet where its inhabitants had yet to even come close to discovering space travel. So of course they'd have no idea about aliens and with the motley crew we'll have assembled, it would be definitely be fun trying to keep everyone disguised and still able to do their jobs. :D

But yeah, you're right. Being able to break out of our patterns is definitely something that takes an active effort. It's easy to just assume something acts like we do and looks like we do. We can overcome that, though. No problem! Heck, we'll take a note from Star Trek again. The TNG episode A Matter of Honor dealt with a lot of the things you're bringing up (minus the "everyone is a humanoid" thing) and they made great use of the contrast between species.

It will definitely be an adjustment for the general RP people to be dealing with things that are physiologically different. But I think as far as differences in perception, tradition, and universal outlook are concerned, we can all do it. And maybe even do it well! Hahaha!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 01:32:58 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 01, 2010, 02:48:16 pm »
Just chiming in to say that I pretty much agree with everything so far.

About having a posting schedule, I trust that most of us here will be able to keep it reasonable. A good rule of thumb I use is to wait at least two or three posts before responding, so that no small groups people get carried away and go rushing off while they're all online, leaving the other folks in the dust.

***EDIT***

I just thought of something. Should we have a look back at the Hybrid System we tried out, concider using dice/coin flips again? Or did that fail more spectacularly than I remember?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 02:54:19 pm by Darth Grievi »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #308 on: June 01, 2010, 03:07:07 pm »
The failure of the Hybrid System test RPs was attributed to mismanagement of the antagonist rather than the system itself. Basically the new system succumbed to an old problem. We'll do another test of the system in the future but it's not at the top of the list. Give me a few minutes to incorporate the additions to the proposal and I'll churn out a draft we can hopefully agree to adopt.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #309 on: June 01, 2010, 04:01:29 pm »
Quote from: Draft
Merger Proposal

The idea behind this proposal is to detail a list of guidelines that will help increase the chances of success for those people interested in taking part in and running creative projects. Being able to follow and enforce the policies agreed upon is the key to a healthy and prosperous community. It is the intent of this proposal to limit the extent to which a person can take advantage of their role in the community and ensure that every person, no matter what, has equal say. The guide that follows will be split into a general set of guidelines, a specialized set of RP guidelines, and some assorted tips that we've gotten over the years.
In the case of Meta-Games (poll games, if you will), they are fairly dictatorial so no clear cut rules will be established; however, it is advised that you adhere to the results of the poll.

Basic Guidelines
  • First and foremost, respect for yourself and respect for the other members of the group is expected at all times. Respecting someone doesn't mean you have to like them, but you need to be able to act in a polite and gracious manner. We aren't here to win anything or beat other people at something. This is a place for entertainment. If there is a problem (it happens) you need to solve it outside of the public space. And if you think you need help moderating the situation, well, that's why we have moderators.
  • Similar to what was mentioned above, profanity and other offensive things should be used sparingly and never with the intent to offend another. Clearly, the creative projects we will embark upon may involve material that isn't entirely PG and that's perfectly fine. But if you are using profanity maliciously, you will be held accountable. Otherwise, feel free to use any words (not images) you want - the forum's auto-censor will filter out anything that's a little too far over the line.
  • Editing a post in order to fix spelling and grammar errors is acceptable and encouraged; however, editing a post in order to change the course of events or to give an advantage or take one away is strictly prohibited.
  • If there is an issue that needs to be decided by the group, consider voting on it. If you do vote on it, you must stick with the result even if it's not what you wanted. It can be time consuming, but if it avoids an argument it's the way to go. Every person's vote counts as one, everyone can initiate a vote on something as long as they have a reasonable claim and someone to second it, and everyone is equal.
  • Being an expert at whatever it is you're attempting to do is not required; however, competency is required. If you're doing a Meta-Game that requires you to draw events, you need to be proficient at the style you've chosen to draw in. Along those lines, if you're in an RP you need to be able to write coherently and be able to string together a basic narrative.
  • Finally, be able and willing to talk with your fellow players. Combining brain power means you can make something that you yourself would not have been capable of. As well, being able to ask for help is in no way a weakness. Good players ask for help when they need it. Bad players think they know all there is to know and never try change or improve. Don't be a bad player.

RP Guidelines
  • Try not to exert too much control over another person's character. You're more than welcome to include idle conversation and basic actions; however, you should never do anything to another character that has a lasting impact on them or fundamentally goes against their sensibilities. When in doubt, ask the other player if what you're hoping to do is okay.
  • Similar to the previous guideline, try not to get too liberal with your descriptions of things that another person has created. The object they've made may be integral to their plot or could have a very specific use. Same as last time, ask before you do anything too drastic.
  • There is a major difference between a player knowing everything about the game and a character knowing everything about the game. As a player, you are encouraged to know as much as you can about the RP you are a part of. Characters should not know everything and are not expected to know everything. Proof of concept: characters that do know everything are usually a problem. They drag the narrative down and tend to annoy the other players.
  • Try to stick to the basic rules of the story. No magic spells in a story with no magic.
  • Character bios are strongly recommended. At the very least you should give your character a name and establish an upper limit on their skills or abilities. This goes a long way in preventing irresponsible godmodding.
  • Out of Character (OOC) discussion and using the forum's quote function is forbidden in the RP topic. All Out of Character discussion must take place in a separate Out of Character topic. That's why it's there.

Tips from the Pros
  • General Tip: Hey guys, use spell check and proper punctuation. Also please proofread!
  • General Tip: Keep track of the perspective you're writing in and also the perspective that the bulk of the game is being written in. Try to keep it consistent and make sure you're not jumping from first person to third person or from past tense to present tense. Those sorts of errors can make posts very difficult to read.
  • General Tip: Know your limitations and don't bite off more than you can chew. These creative projects, whatever they may be, require a commitment of time and a promise that you are going to put forth maximum effort. If you think you need a hand, ask! Most of the people you're working with want to help.
  • General Tip: Coincidence is cool but it's not entertaining when you overuse it. Try to avoid convenient solutions. At the very least, make sure its justified if you do use it.
  • RP Tip: Timing is important. If the story or arc is reaching its climax, that's not the time to do a flashback about your character's struggles during childhood. Also, if you want to join an RP that is in-progress, the time to join is when the the action is beginning to rise, not when the heroes are fighting the octopus in the submarine.
  • RP Tip: You didn't get chosen to lead the story, darn. Instead you're a part of the main group that has to thwart something or find the grail. That's fantastic! Don't try to be tricky and decide that you're going to tell a story of your own. If you want to write a short story, write a short story! In an RP you are encouraged to enrich your character with deep and engrossing side stories but please, for the sake of the overall game and the other players, don't try to overshadow the main plot. The fact of the matter is that the player chosen to be the antagonist is the one pushing the main plot points. Those plot points involve all of the characters, yours do not. Your character's plight may be neat, but trying to outplay the main plot is intrusive and can ruin a good game.
  • RP Tip: There's a general way to post. Typically your post somehow draws upon what came before it and leaves something behind for the next post to feed on. If you leave crap behind, you can expect that the next post is going to pass yours over. Make sure you've considered the person that will write the next post, it's not all about you. And the time will come when your character is going to have to take one for the team. Make it work to your advantage.

To conclude, the core aspects of our community need to revolve around respect and trust. We're all friends here and if you aren't going to be a team player you are going to have a difficult time. Yes, there will be situations where some of us may not be able to keep our tempers in check. If you are reasonable and remember that there are people out there that want to help you, you need not worry about the jerks. If you work for the community, the community will work for you. The golden rule of creative projects like Meta-Games and RPs is this:

Half of the game is in character and half of the game is out of character. Fail at one and you've lost.

What Darth had written and what I had written were very similar so with her permission I've added in a few things that I missed. I added in a bit about editing posts into the general guidelines section. There's a new condition concerning character bios in the RP guideline section. Finally, there's a general tip in the tip section concerning perspective and keeping it consistent. I figure we can put a "formatting" guide either in this document or slip it into a new version of the RP creation guide (to be revised later on).

Anyway, this is the set of guidelines we've got right now. Since our mindsets are so similar, there really wasn't a ton to deliberate over. But Darth brought up some very good points so they're in and a lot of the debate in this topic has helped to formulate some new opinions which will be helpful in the coming weeks. So the question now is, are you okay with the guidelines you see in the quote box above?

And it certainly isn't perfect, I'm sure we'll encounter new problems as time goes on. But to counter that we'll keep the guidelines "alive". It will be a living document that gets changed and fixed as situations arise. But looking over what we've got right now, it's pretty solid!

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 01, 2010, 04:38:18 pm »
Where do I sign?
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 01, 2010, 04:41:18 pm »
So to make this clear, the first RP, at least, will be single-character-centric? NOT focusing on an entire race/not just one person?
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 01, 2010, 04:42:34 pm »
Yes. We're all going down to a planet, as Pat said.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #313 on: June 01, 2010, 05:02:00 pm »
Yeah, gonna head down to pick up some hookers and blow. Maybe start a scene in a bar. :D

But really, I figure we might as well go with the Star Trek ripoff idea. Should be fun! We'll do it here on the GS forum and see what happens.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 01, 2010, 05:04:09 pm »
Aye! All aboard the S.S. Establishment!

Or, you know, whatever the heck we'll call it. ;)