Author Topic: Moving On...  (Read 35063 times)

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
Re: Moving On...
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2010, 09:18:59 pm »
Err... No. Sounds Tacky, this isn't a credit card we're talking about.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2010, 09:24:27 pm »
It isn't?

Oh right, that is for the other forum I visit.

Hmmmm.

Bagong Kalawakan?
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

gec05

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2010, 09:28:48 pm »
I would much rather give it a proper name, instead of the basic adjectives we use for all the different galaxies. And it needs to roll off nicely. Not the kind Badger mentioned.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2010, 09:29:51 pm »
How about a proper name for a galaxy, like the Whirlpool Galaxy or the Pinwheel Galaxy or the Sombrero Galaxy or the Triangulum Galaxy? (Those are all real galaxies, btw.)

EDIT: Damn gecko ninjas!
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2010, 09:38:06 pm »
First, we have to determine what the Galaxy looks like before we name it like that. (I also was thinking the tags really just meant the primary time period it was created in, not the name of the Galaxy)
I've always imagined the Galaxy as a twin galaxy, with the Novus Cluster connected by an extended spiral arm, but that's probably just me liking unusual phenomena like that.

Plus, how would it be named, something more abstract like the Milky Way (Our Galaxy, in case you didn't know), a little more personal than we name our galaxies nowadays.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2010, 09:57:00 pm »
The Polychrome Bowstring?

I remember reading an old Native American legend about a mythical hunter whose bowstring was the Milky Way, so yeah. Maybe my name's too long...

Oh, I know! The Motley Roads! Or the Motley Path. Motley something.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2010, 10:47:43 pm »
Eh, I'll throw in my two cents.  I would like to see this all stick to Gamingsteve, but maybe it would be better to move operations.  I don't know.  We've tried a few reboots before, and they've all fizzled out.  If this attempt is to work, we have to avoid the mistakes previous ones have made.  I think the problems in part were that those reboots were too strict. 

With Flisch's attempt, the RG or whatever it was, the entrance bar was set too high.  Some people want to play this as hard scifi with realistic tech and creatures, some people want it to be a bit lighter.  I think there's room for both, and we would just have to find the right balance.  Also, we need to allow people to use their old creatures.  If we force people to use new creatures, they won't have the same level of detail and the creators won't have the same level of attachment.  I like Gec's idea, you can bring your old creatures but leave behind the backstory and start over. 

The Novus Cluster had a bit of the same problem with letting in old creatures, though there was literally a loophole that we used.  I think there were two main problems with that attempt.  One, everyone was really excited at the start and was posting like crazy, then it fizzled out.  If we do this we need to be committed, otherwise it'll die.  The second problem was that the Novus Cluster seemed to lack direction.  All the races met each other, there were a few minor skirmishes, and that was about it.  If this is going to work we need an underlying storyline to give structure to events.  I'm thinking of the RP's on this site that have worked, such as the Superpower RP.  This is going to need a core group of storytellers to set the tone and pace and keep things moving.  Otherwise it'll just revert to pointless skirmishes that end halfway.

Some other points:  Don't get all caught up in naming and mapping the universe.  I still say that the Galaxy map project was a huge mistake.  Carving up the playing field and having everyone's positions set in stone limits and shrinks the sandbox.  Also don't' set up a huge governing system or bureaucracy.  Like the strict requirements in the RG, it'll just chase people off.

Here's a system I have in mind.   Members start up a thread for their new race and after they provide a certain amount of details and other members give some feedback, they move on to a sort of continuous newbie RP.  The whole First Contact RP system is worthless, in my opinion.  It puts everyone through the same dull motions, limits them to an initial low tech level, and since such rp's usually have only two or three players, are a lousy way to introduce new players to the group.

I'm picturing something where a representative of the new race, whatever the tech level, gets beamed up to some kind of proving grounds.  Basic Training, arena, obstacle course, whatever.  Once the new member shows that he can write well and play with others, he gets access to the wider rp world.

I guess that was a bit more than two cents, yay for late night rants.  I don't know if I'd be able to make the time commitment to something like this, but good luck to whatever happens.
Probably not a Goat, either.

gec05

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2010, 10:59:58 pm »
Good points. I think we can also cover those issues. I can also agree to throwing out a galaxy map, but should only be necessary for the main story players. Taking into consideration of the failures of the Novus Cluster, a story will need to be made, giving all the RPers something to discover together.

So here are some proposed names.

Apogeon
Ruthmia
Asterio
Astron
Aphanes
Boreas
Gigasia
Dialta
Genesia
Euris
Kalos
Kosmo
Orizon
Teros
Rhoia
Abysso
Adelos
Akronis

Greek words I found, some were altered to sound cool. Some of them seemed descriptive of a galaxy.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2010, 11:25:20 pm »
Genesia, Dialta, and Aphanes sound good. But no galaxy map? Let's just tone it down a lot and keep things simple, just name, planet, and location.

...I like maps.

Back to the point, Inkling has some good ones. Like no First Contact RPs. Just provide a backstory!

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2010, 02:40:57 am »
With Flisch's attempt, the RG or whatever it was, the entrance bar was set too high.  Some people want to play this as hard scifi with realistic tech and creatures, some people want it to be a bit lighter.  I think there's room for both, and we would just have to find the right balance.  Also, we need to allow people to use their old creatures.  If we force people to use new creatures, they won't have the same level of detail and the creators won't have the same level of attachment.  I like Gec's idea, you can bring your old creatures but leave behind the backstory and start over. 
New Galaxy, but yeah. I think I was being too restrictive, but I also think that allowing old creatures results in everyone joining this new project with their old stuff, which kinda makes it feel like the same with a different name. Also, if people already have races with tons of updates, they might not feel like doing more updates, since they already covered pretty much everything. This will mean that these threads might not be updated and this stagnate, which really hurts the project as a whole. Or maybe I'm just too pessimistic here.

By the way: I think that the name for the new project is like the second to last thing we have to worry about. People easily get lost in details, but what we need first is a structure and a plan.

Oh, another thing: I don't know if I like the idea of splitting this fanfic universe completely from GS. New forums always have the problems that nobody knows about them. They don't show up in google and will seldomly have cross-communication with other forums, especially since all the people from the project will be from GS. That way we will probably be stuck for a long time isolated from new members, as simply nobody even knows it exists.

Otherwise, I really like the idea of "restarting" this. I mean, I did it myself too once. :P
Maybe I can ask the guys on the speculative evolution boards if they are interested? They like to talk about aliens and many of them can draw.
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2010, 02:47:17 am »
Yeah, I think Gamingsteve has some kind of slow, painful cancer. But it would definitely be a great idea to make a big timeline and database, like that 26th-century sci-fi forum. Perhaps useful notes on scientific credibility for newcomers could be provided by me, like what a laser really is and the difference between a wormhole and a warp drive. I mean, we seriously need to get the Slakos-Makal Invasion underway; it's degenerated into endless blathering and no action.

I don't know about this, you seem to be implying that we should value scientific accuracy over fun.  It would just make the fora  haven for eletish snobby guys who could put down creativity by saying things were "nonscientific." For example, comic book science doesn't make a lick of sense but that doesn't stop it from being entertaining. I find it better to come up with the idea, and then find a scientific explanation for it, I mean it happened, so there must be one, right?

I also prefer we keep the first contact RPs, having a universal abduction/judgment Rp, would stifle creativity rather than promote it, we should rather just make a good effort to do First Contacts in new and fresh ways, like the CC did.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 03:02:18 am by Lush City »

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2010, 04:44:39 am »
This doesn't need to be hard science.  Technologies just need to seem plausible, with some basic grounding in reality.  You don't need to be able to explain the low-level mechanisims of your quantum-tunelling communications system.

Also, First Contact must die forever.  This is a strange tradition that has only shown up in the last year and a bit.  It is redundant, reptititive and restrictive.  It limits backstory and previous relations.  Perhaps what bugs me most of all about them is you have a race that is just, say, launching it's first rocket, and then Oh look aliens, and one RP later they have a formidable intergalactic navy.

Think about it, in most RPs we run here, our characters often know eachother ahead of time, they have past experience in the setting, they know what they are doing even if we don't.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2010, 04:53:47 am »
But a keystone of the first contact is that it remains in the creators complete control. If we just handed over control to the "elites" than individual creativity would be crushed. Look at gems like (all they way down) the USSS members Fc threads. They were well thought out initiated the relationships of the species to come, and plausbly explained the given technology boost.If this ever comes to a vote, I'm pro-first contact all the way.

I'm fine with plausibility (not having "ooo-rays" that shoot candy) but I don't think we should have mods passing around "rejected for being unscientific" stamps around.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2010, 05:14:44 am »
But a keystone of the first contact is that it remains in the creators complete control. If we just handed over control to the "elites" than individual creativity would be crushed.

What the heck are you talking about, "Handing over power to the elites"?  I have no idea what you think we mean, but what we're saying is we forgo the redundant First Contact step and go right to proper RPing.  You make a race, the get okayed, and bam, you're a part of the galactic community and have been for a while.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2010, 08:22:15 am »
Let me elaborate on my idea while I'm more awake.  Like Martyk said, this isn't about giving power to elites to force new players to tow the line.  Instead of First Contact RP's that generally take place between a bored minor player in the RP's, they get to jump in and work with the big dogs.  Hopefully because it involves core members and is a step everyone would go through, it would have more readers and would act as a better introduction.  I'm not picturing this as a strict thing at all, I'm seeing this as a tutorial stage with no right answers.  It would mainly function as a stage for a new writer to show the personality of his race, to show that he can handle a basic challenge, and to show that he can work with other members.  It would work best if we could somehow tie it in to the background plot for the whole galaxy, but how that's done would be left up to the writers.

Also I like the names Astron and Kosmo, I think something that sounds generically spacey would be best.
Probably not a Goat, either.