Author Topic: Moving On...  (Read 34241 times)

gec05

Moving On...
« on: April 20, 2010, 05:04:55 pm »
With the passing of each month, and with the fading atrocities of Spore and how much less this section is actually affiliated with it, I'm beginning to think that this section should move on. I'm not saying that this place shall close down or be removed. But the more this forum goes along without a steady stream of new members, you lose participants and an audience.

It really isn't good since people can't easily come in, especially when there are people out there who really care about this particular genre of role playing, including myself. But what we need the most is new support, more feedback, and new ideas. Even if that means leaving Gaming Steve and moving on to a more focused base of operations. One where we can get a group of people with the interest of this kind of RPing, being that this forum is originally intended for "intelligent game discussion and general gaming."

Since when was the last time this forum's most active and talkative members actually care about this section anymore? Since when do they care to pay a visit and read up on our creatures? Essentially never. And there are a lot of factors to consider for that.

-Spore and it's current irrelevance.
-The "Everything Else" socialites have no interest in RPing. Which is a huge chunk of the active GS populace.
-Veterans and fathers of the golden age creatures have vanished, making the current galaxy seem empty and dead.
-Current format makes it hard to jump in, at times being lost to any back story and history, which we failed to accurately document.
-No wars or conflict, plot, action, making it a very boring and uninteresting environment.

And there could be more issues. But if we can address them all, it will be possible to rebuild an engaging community. But in order to do that, we need a good story, setting, and a theme to get people wanting to join in and be apart of it. Over time, we can reveal a story, giving purpose to joining in. It can be told through chapters, comics, videos, you name it. Ultimately, this will help stir attraction into it, and at the same time, work as a way to deter people who misconceive and make up stupid things. We, that is, whoever will be appointed as a council to this new galaxy, will directly be involved on input for the main plot and it's progression. The community as a whole can take part by creating their own niche of characters with their own stories, not involved directly in the story, but co-existing in the same universe. The main story will however will have much influence on the community's own creations, giving them similar conflict's with others and, in turn, giving everyone a unified purpose. Or, they can choose a faction or side, and perhaps they can get involved on turning tides on new plots.

Overall, this is basically giving substance and direction. Something that this current community lacks or has pursued. We can try it here, but we need room to grow, which is why it would not be possible to reach those goals in this forum without the control. So what do we need to do?

-A name, a title for the community
-A new forum
-A group of talented individuals (artists, writers, editors, webmasters and such) who will act as the council.
-A story or story arcs. New ones to follow the last to continue activity in the community.

Also, I think we can leave Spore out of direct influence. It can still be used as a tool, but I think we want this to be as original was we can. Also, there are many good ideas we should migrate from this place to our new one, if it goes through. Our old creatures are welcome too, but their memories of this place must be left behind.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 05:06:33 pm by Gec »

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
Re: Moving On...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 05:18:03 pm »
Reserve the right of exclusion; not everyone deserves a chance to join in. The tide of poor members was a major turn-off before, so be wary.

gec05

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 05:22:58 pm »
That depends, of the output of quality story-telling exceeds the noobs, they will either be detered, or be forced to improve their presentation.

It's can't just be a wall of text. We'll need images, themes, and settings that build up the mood. They compliment the story and improve the appeal. Bringing people who are serious about it than those who suck at it.

If you look at a site like this or this and notice how there is a setting, presentation, images and characters that compliment the community, it brings good traffic
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 05:27:51 pm by Gec »

Offline Lush City

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 05:36:17 pm »
I don't know, it would be pretty disconcerting to join a fora right as it goes through a major reformation, while I agree this board as evolved from what I assume are  it's humble roots, from what I can gleam it had developed its own canon and shred universe.  I've seen stuff like this happen in other forums as they age, a sort of “Board mid-life crisis" if you will. We've developed some ways to counteract this, as seen in the OAU and Alt-Histry boards. My idea.

-A plotline clean-up: Have a communty organized effort to establish a plot lien of canon events, complete with summaries for n00bs.

-A super-large event, one that will act as a bookend to the old age and ease in the new, hopefully giving an in-story parallel to the OOC changes.

-Keeping of the name while the site has evolved beyond Spore, the fact that it was the main inspiration seems to still hold true, just as TvTropes grew out of TV, but kept the name, I think we should keep the spore title, not as a message of the current game but as a symbol of what it represents. After all, whatever this game didn’t do it did unite a group of people for half a decade, and isn’t that something to be prod of?

-Organize the boards

Fix up the out of date stickies, set up a dating system and/or create a common framework and order to work through the join-ups

In short, a Reconstruction.

These are some strategies I've seen work on other threads and it might help here.  Of course, it's really up to the people at large if they want a change, I suggest a poll.

Darn Ninjas...

_________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't think we should up anti-n00bs rules, according to the Join up dates, guys like UFO and Omegatripod (as well as Kitkat and others) all were n00bs at one point, even the maker of the CC, one of the major players currently is relatively new. A simple "Trial by Interest" is a good way to decide what get sin and what doesn't
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 05:39:57 pm by Lush City »

gec05

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 05:45:06 pm »
The thing is, if I need something big to be done concerning the current forum format here, it has to go through Steve.

That's why I think we need a new site. Plus, this forum is kinda dying. It's nice how we all kinda stuck together as a family, but the exclusivity can be a bad thing at times. Though I assure you, I do have a plan to test the humanity and intelligence of new people.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 05:48:08 pm »
Yeah, the anti-noob thing prevents any new members, sence they would be newbies, or "noobs" as it were. Ere-to-for, anti-noob rules would spell self-destruction for our section. And for a new board, that would be a little much work to reconstitute all our creations, images, and such to a new board. Much more than I personally would have the time to execure within measurable time limits. Besides, what other board would be so welcoming to our whacko scientific blah blah, that isn't Spore related? A good idea in theory, but we have a few humps to get over in the application fragment.

But I too have noticed that our section is slowly and painfully dying.

However, if you can get another, new website up, then by all means, I'll try.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 05:53:29 pm »
I'm not saying to make a new board, just to reorganize the way we work within the current one.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 05:54:59 pm »
I aimed that at Gec, not you, dude.

gec05

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 05:58:18 pm »
And, again, I have no control over this forum. We can, however, go back and document the important stuff and migrate it. If we are going to go through the trouble of reconsolidating everything on this board, as you have suggested, what difference is there if we just copy/paste it to a new forum?

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 05:59:29 pm »
Wait
We could use an approval system for creation of creatures.

We could have a section of the new forum exist solely for the start of new creations and, after being approved by the a group of elites, it will be moved to the proper section and the creator will be promoted so he/she can post in the roleplaying topics proper.

so many new posts
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 06:02:03 pm »
That's the kind of thing that we specifically said we're against, 22. The site should not be an Oligarchy.

gec05

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 06:04:13 pm »
Your concerns are just as valid Lush. Rest assured, I will make the final plans on the forum format.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 06:04:17 pm »
Oligarchies work fine. Plus the elite would be more like congress than anything.
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Lush City

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 06:06:54 pm »
I'm sure Luminar would have something to say about that.

And how would it be like Congress? Would we vote?

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 06:10:42 pm »
Heres how I see it

Godmin>Moderator>Congress (People are voted in and out of this position)>Creator (The only people allowed to vote in Congress members)>Members (Approved into Creator by the Congress)
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.