Author Topic: Who knows about HDTVs?  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
Who knows about HDTVs?
« on: April 17, 2010, 04:14:59 pm »
Hi all,

Recently purchased a PS3 Slim and want the full experience for my new house.  Won't have too much space and am only looking at 32" (I'm a firm believer in some TVs just being too big).  Must admit I don't know a huge amount about TVs or technology nowadays.  All I know is it should be 1080p, have a slot for an HDMI cable, a nice contrast ratio, and pixel resolution of 1920x1080.

Am not looking to spend a fortune on this but ideally want longevity from it.  This TV has jumped out at me as standing out from the rest that I've been searching, and is at a really good price:

http://www.electronicworldtv.co.uk/32_Samsung_LE32B530_Full_HD_1080p_Digital_Freeview_LCD_TV_469_d

If someone who knows about this kind of stuff could give some advice as to whether that will do the job and will give me the quality I'm looking for at a good price, or suggest alternatives then I would really appreciate it.

I really don't want a monster 42"/50" TV, 32" is sufficient and I know Plasma is supposed to be better than LCD, but all the Plasma TVs seem to be huge.

Thanks a lot!

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
Re: Who knows about HDTVs?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 03:58:55 pm »
That is a really good price, and it comes with a 12 month guarantee.
If you can get any sort of extended warranty, that would be good too.

Though really, even on maximum brightness and being left on for 24 hours a day, these things last for like 5 - 7 years. Plasmas I mean. I didn't do much research on LCDs as they were generally more expensive.
I have a plasma myself. A friend of mine insisted that this was a bad move and that I'm going to get burn-in.
I keep telling him that there's new tech inside these units to prevent that, but he really wants to be right about this. >.>

As for quality and stuff, I can't imagine it would be terrible or anything. 1080p has always looked pretty damn good to me on all the units I've seen while shopping around. Just remember that cable TV and all that stuff is going to look pretty grainy and crappy since it's not an HD signal. This is something I totally forgot, but I don't mind too much.

There are so many different units out there it's hard to help you from here. But like I said, that is a really good price. If you haven't dealt with these TVs before, this is a great place to start.
I've heard both negative and positive things about the Samsung brand.

If you're on the fence, feel free to look up reviews for your unit. In my quick search this "LE32B530" had generally very positive reviews.

Some additional stuff I learned:
  • Plasmas use some burning phosphor stuff. When using a Plasma TV brand new, it needs to be "broken in" a bit. The phosphors will burn their best and brightest after 100 - 200 hours of use, after which you will get your optimal picture quality for a very long time. This doesn't matter to most people however. To the everyday person, the brand new picture will probably look totally fine.
  • Warranties typically don't cover the screen, only the electrical components inside. Service is also usually done in-home. Basically if you suspect there are any problems, get them checked out immediately. And you know, don't break the screen.
  • Plasmas can run quite hot if you leave them on for a few hours straight. I suggest giving the unit a break now and then, turning it off when not in use.
  • Don't get ripped off ordering super expensive HDMI cables. At least over in NA here, from the stories I've read, cables sold in-store are stupidly expensive because they assure you the best picture quality. Everybody at the various forums I checked around in agree that this is a trap for dumb people, so don't fall for it.
  • Regardless of the burn-in prevention technology inside your TV, do your best to prevent it, especially in the "break-in" period. Things like video game HUDs, or letterboxing from widescreen DVDs, menus, and other stuff-- things like these that may be on screen in the same spot for awhile have a potential to burn into the screen. If your console or DVD player has a screensaver, definitely enable it. If you really want to play it safe, turn your TV off for ten minutes for every hour or two of use. That's what I did. Eventually, you won't need to worry about this issue as much.
    My brother has had his plasma on for hours, HUD up and everything.
    No burn-in whatsoever. Still, it's best to be at least a little cautious about these things.

Hope that assures you a bit. If you're still on the fence and wanting to shop around a bit more, that's fine. There's always a deal somewhere.
Don't be afraid to ask salespeople from different stores; they work in that department typically because they know all about that stuff. They're not as greasy as used car salesmen so you don't need to worry too much about them trying to force a sale onto you. You can also ask about any upcoming sales, or even to get them to demonstrate a unit for you.
If you think you're ready, just order up this baby and see how you like it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 04:12:12 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 06:05:08 pm »
Just to supplement the bit about televisions only last about 5-7 years... the part that breaks during that period is almost always the television's back light which can be replaced thought he price may vary.

Also, the television you've picked out seems great! You'll definitely be satisfied with it. Especially if you're coming off of a CRT or older projection screen. Finally, I'm a big fan of LCD screens but having seen all the new technology over the years and having a mother that works for one of the larger consumer electronic companies out there, I can say with certainty that nowadays the differences between LCD and plasma are nominal at best so just pick whatever works for you. Anti-burn-in technology has also come a long way and you have to try pretty hard to mess up your screens.

So worry not! Pick out whatever you think suits you the best. Your first choice is as solid as any and if that's the one that jumps out at you, I'd get it.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 06:56:03 am »
If burn in was still such a major issue TV networks would have pretty much stopped using the water marks of there station logos all together during broadcasts.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 07:10:11 am »
I find it crazy that these things are only expected to last 5-7 years.  I still have this old CRT that has been working perfectly since '94.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 08:07:47 am »
Appreciate the info guys.  I actually got some feedback from a tech forum and was convinced to plug for a different TV.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL32W5500U-Widescreen-Freeview-Motionflow/dp/B001RCU7FI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271621263&sr=8-1

Am getting this badboy which should be here tomorrow, and Sony are giving free 3 year warranty on all HDTV Bravias over 26".  The Samsung no doubt would have been fine, but for an extra 150/200 I get a much better TV.

The stuff about Plasma TVs was interesting to read though - I didn't know any of that until now.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 12:58:35 pm »
Good choice! I use a Bravia, too!

Hope you enjoy your new hardware, Janos! :D

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 06:43:48 am »
You'd think a TV I spent 500 for would come with an aerial wouldn't you?  Lol.  Seems really well built though and is nice and heavy.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 06:52:01 am »
My TV has no areal either I got the one from my old CRT plugged it to the back so watching TV is crap on it (The Wii looks nice though).