Poll

Should there be a dark age after the next update?

Sure
11 (57.9%)
No
5 (26.3%)
Meh
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Populus - Metagame OOC  (Read 27001 times)

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
Populus - Metagame OOC
« on: March 30, 2010, 03:07:32 pm »
Update thread here.

So, another iteration of the nation-building metagame. To prevent an early death, Its going to be a bit free-form like dividing up the world, but with some set rules so it doesn't go crazy, and I won't personally be involved in the game other than to operate NPC countries later on. Of course I won't jinx it further by mentioning death, but I have yet to determine exactly how my status as a relative newcomer to the forums will affects its success.

So, to start out, here's the world the game will be played in. I'm going to use terra, but it should simply be referred to as "the world" in normal situations.

Climate:

Ocean Currents & Major Mountain Ranges:

Tectonic Plates:

And a basic synopsis of the planet in general:

Terra is much like Earth, orbiting at approximately one AU from the planet, and possessing atmosphere, water, and most importantly, life.  Terra's orbit and rotation is clockwise compared to the counter-clockwise of earth; this does not effect the climate much, however, simply reveresing directions of ocean currents, and changing the directions from which the sun rises and sets. What does set Terra apart from earth is its Circumglobal Ocean, which fully encircles the globe, except for a division around the Scindolian continent. Large storm systems, arising from the oceans found to the south or north, are whipped around the globe, picking up more and more energy until their strength surpassess that of the largest hurricanes or monsoons on Earth.

Scindolia: So named because of its role in dividing the Circumglobal Sea, Scindolia is generally the recepiant of the massive storm systems that start in the West Australis Ocean, picking up energy from the warm equatorial waters before slamming into the western side of the continent. The large mountain range formed by the tectonic movement of the Adriatic plate stops the systems(and, occassionaly, the Meditterranian Plateu), forcing them to drop their load of water upon the vast rainforests that thrive in center of the continent. Several river systems, the largest on the planet measured in shear output, drain the interior into the sea. Flora and fauna hail from the South American continent.

Atralia and the Australis Isles: The second largest continent, its wide girth encompasses an example of all climates. Tectonic interaction between the Atralia and Australis Island's plates have uplifted several mountains in northeastern Atralia, as well as the West Australis Isles themselves, those visible in the global map. In addition, thousands of coral islands form in the shallow waters of the East Australis Ocean, forming the East Australis Isles. Storm systems from the West Australis Ocean cross the Australis Isles regularly, on their way to becoming the circumglobal hypercanes. Flora and Fauna from North America and the Carribean, respectively.

Adriatica: Divided into two islands, yet sharing the same tectonic plate, the North and South Adriatica both are relatively flat, suprising for a continent that has uplifted two mountain ranges on others. A large river system drains North Adriatica, although the rivers on South Adriatica are generally smaller. Storm systems from the East Australis Ocean, moving upward through the Adriatic Strait, allows rainforests to flourish on North Adriatica. Australian life.

Hellania: A continent dominated by rainforest and swamp, Hellania is gradually seperating from the Meditterranian mainland, forming several fresh-water filled rift valleys and lakes that drain into the continent's inland seas, forming resevoirs of fresh water gradually becoming brackish. Indian flora and fauna.

Meditterrania, Caspia, and Gilbaltia: Forming the largest landmass on Terra, these three continents hold the largest highland region, the largest dessert region, and the largest humid continental region. The Meddditteranian Plateu and surrounding mountain ranges, formed from the collision of the Adriatic, Scindolian, Gilbaltian, and Meditterranian plates, feed numerous rivers and cast a great rain shadow, of which the East Meditterranian Desert is partly a result of. To the west, a smaller mountain range from the collision of the Caspian plate, although it is still small, and does not influence the climate to the extent of its eastern brother. Storm systems from the East Australis Ocean, funneled through the Adriatic Strait, allow great rainforests to grow along its South Eastern edge. Warm currents funneled into the Europan Sea from the Borealis Ocean allow for more temperate conditions to the north than would be possible otherwise. Flora and Fauna on Caspia and Mediterrania can trace their origins to Asia, Gilbaltia from Europe.

These are mainly as reference, and won't be involved much in actual play, but it should give you a pretty clear idea about the world. Of course its all guesswork, and if anyone has a nitpick feel free to post it.

Gameplay & Rules:

The gameplay should be relatively casual, with no "real" rules besides common sense ones. How much influence your country has will be based on how much wealth you have and how much military you have in reserves(which is partly dependent on wealth anyway), which is dependent(at least at an early technology level) on how much land you set aside for agriculture, and how much trade goes through your country.

Commands can be as vague or as specific as a player wants. For example, if a player wants to increase the amount of land used for agriculture in his or her country, one could say "Increase agriculture", or "In the more fertile lands near the river, increase the amount of land used for agriculture by 12%". One could even tell it as a story, from a first or third person perspective, treating the game as an RP. The second example would get better results than the first, and the third would be copied word-for word.

To prevent inactivity, and to keep things from cluttering up, at first countries will be controlled by a number of people, consisting of a team. As long as another team member doesn't object to it, it will be added. As we advance later on, individual members or groups can choose to secede from the country, or start an NPC one. I won't be personally participating in the game, but several NPC countries will exist. These won't dominate regular countries, but depending on player's alignment toward each other, they may be major antagonists. If a country is defeated, the team can take control of a NPC country.

Current Player/Country List:

Kattaristan
-Yuu
-Kitkat
-UFO King

The Krull Empire
-SporeLord
-Badgerman22

Luicho
-Josasa

Ikakota
-Flamester_

Calypso Hedgemony
-Detoxicated
-Dr. O

Perakana
Lush City
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 07:04:56 pm by Clarke »

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
Re: Populus - Metagame OOC
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 04:08:25 pm »
Or, awesome, something I won't have to be in charge of so it won't die! :D

In all seriousness, could I join?
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 04:11:38 pm »
Of course! Anybody that wants to join can, you can play it as either a metagame or an RP. I'm working on the gameplay now, I've got a basic idea of what I want to do framed, I just need to put it down.

Here's the starting map, though.

Pick whichever region you want to start in, but I want to do teams rather than individual players(at least for now), so if enough players join you'll be buddied up with someone. This should lessen inactivity.

By the way, we're talking river valley civs for now, but it'll progress to more complex ones rather quickly.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 04:14:42 pm »
I'd like the Hellania region.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 06:04:34 pm »
Updated the second post.

If anyone wants to sign up, just post.

Caspia          Hellania          SE Meditterrania
                     - Kitkat

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 06:27:08 pm »
Gilbaltia, I want that.
Quote from: Mr. Wizard
Flamester is truly a god among us.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 06:33:17 pm »
Its only the ones highlighted in red that are up to grabs right now.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 07:01:40 pm »
The update thread's up. Please don't post in it, I need to figure out how to lock it. :P

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 07:08:32 pm »
The lock button is on the lower left of the page.

Be careful not to click delete, though. ;)

Oh, and I want to buddy with Kitkat.

Once we deploy a colony into the isles, the two of us will rule the trade routes!

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 08:28:52 am »
I was also going to go for hellania, but to prevent stacking. Looks like the one to the furthest right SE med please.
Check out MindWorld a Psychological Sci-Fi FPS adventure indie title....It's pretty awesome :p http://www.indiedb.com/games/mindworld/images/mindworld-concept-art1

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 01:24:01 pm »
Looking back at Flamester's post, I think he was referring to Caspia. Here's the updated list.

Caspia          Hellania          SE Meditterrania
 -Flamester    - Kitkat           -Sporelord
                   - Yuu              -Detoxicated

It would probably be best to start naming your city-state and the rivers or lakes in your region. Thanks for the help with locking the topic, Yuu.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 01:39:45 pm by Clarke »

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 01:35:53 pm »
I'd like to join SE Meditterania as I think Sporelord is a fit personality...
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 01:38:31 pm »
I assume that the time period is equivalent to several thousand BC Earth?

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 01:39:26 pm »
I assume that the time period is equivalent to several thousand BC Earth?
Yeah, pretty much. Indus valley and Mesopotamia and what not.

@Detox- Added.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 01:42:51 pm »
So would we post nation bios now?