Poll

Which Quest Should I Finish First?

Demon Slayer
1 (7.7%)
Cook's Assistant
12 (92.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: April 16, 2010, 10:59:38 am

Author Topic: Dr.Octagonapus' RuneScape Thread  (Read 6051 times)

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
Dr.Octagonapus' RuneScape Thread
« on: March 29, 2010, 10:59:38 am »
This is the thread where I will post anything I have to say about my experiences in RuneScape. Any comments, tips, or tricks are welcome. I might even start a journal about it!

Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
Re: Dr.Octagonapus' RuneScape Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 01:05:22 pm »
Posting before the self-entitlement ego brigade trolls the topic out of the forum because "hurrr runescape".

Ain't played for a long time myself. I remember playing the original way back when, I just felt the original version for all its flaws had a lot more charm to it than the current version. either way it's no better or worse than any other MMO going.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 01:17:54 pm »
hurrr runescape
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 01:38:54 pm »
Ah, Runescape. I remember this. It was good, but I was never very good at it. I tried it again a year ago, remembering that I had gotten stuck in a house, entering the game under the supervision of a friend (for whatever reason). He pointed out where the door out was, and I almost RLFP'd. It was simply hidden from the perspective of the screen. Then I realized there wasn't much appealing to me in the game that it had when I was younger, and simply stopped playing.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 01:52:45 pm »
Go for Cook's Assistant.

Like some of the others, it's been a hell of a long time since I've played but it's not a bad game. Glad to see it's still alive and kicking! Did they ever do that graphical update that was always supposed to happen in a few months?

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 01:55:52 pm »
Isn't Cook's Assistant the one where you just have to get cake ingrediants? Go for that.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 07:57:10 pm »
OOH....MY....GOD.....
Someone rezzed the death game. Oh, I hate that game. I used to play, full of nothing but theives and spammers. Nothing but one big grind. I'm actually surprized it's still got people wasting money on it.

Offline raikitsune

• Intellivision Junkie
  • Ogbogistahni
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 04:40:40 am »
OOH....MY....GOD.....
Someone rezzed the death game. Oh, I hate that game. I used to play, full of nothing but theives and spammers. Nothing but one big grind. I'm actually surprized it's still got people wasting money on it.

I'm surprised as well. That some one will spell words with the letter z in a fashion that's not ironic!

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 10:54:33 am »
I enjoyed Runescape for some time. Had all the quests completed at one point... but then they started doing weird **** like removing the PvP factor in the Wilderness and "Equal" trades and that weird auction house thing to determine all game prices and bleh. It just died for me. Other than those last few changes, I did enjoy the game.

Alas, no one cares to play this spammy little game with you, Octa. You might as well be making some random blog. No one will read it, and it will die after a couple days... maybe a week or two at best. Just being honest with you.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 10:56:06 am by Met »

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 04:27:37 pm »
Just being honest with you.

You can't claim honesty while "kindly" steering the topic creator away from any potential flame war or argument he's about to spark when it is certain that you yourself will commit said crimes to prevent any legit discussion from occurring here out of petulant spite and a sycophantic urge to ingratiate yourself with popular opinion by loudly trumpeting the most popular opinion, rather than reacting like any reasonable person would by simply not entering the topic in the first place.
You want to hate on RS? By all means do so - somewhere else. You have nothing to add here. Any further responses in this topic or attempts at defending your 100% objectively unjustifiable position should and will be taken as attempts to kill the topic by force.
I have made myself clear, and you have fully understood everything I have said and thus ignorance is no longer a viable excuse for you to hide behind. There will be no further derails by you or anyone.

Anyway, I think I first started playing RS back when Falador had just came out, Ice Giants were the toughest enemy in the game. I had no clue what I was doing back then, but I think it was my first MMO. In spite of all RS's flaws I just can't hate on it since it's a massive piece of nostalgia to me. I'm probably the only person who thinks the shiny new graphics took away from the clunky charm of the game, but in spite of that it was an upgrade RS needed because of all the other stuff it brought with it. The old game mechanics just weren't viable once the game started getting past three servers with a hard cap of 200 or so people on each, I remember only one person could converse with an NPC at a time and it would create bottlenecks and all sorts.
I had a subscriber's account for a while, I think the last quest to come out before I stopped playing was something to do with trolls and equippable claws. The stuff with PvP and trading was a bit weird and forceful, but there were an absolute ton of goldfarmers on at any given time. I'll say that they had the balls to actually do something about it rather than just sit and let their playerbase be predated upon by scammers and blackmarketeers, even if their implementation was questionable.

I remember getting cooking way high as my first skill. It compliments your fighting ability if you can get a good stockpile of food so you can train for longer against higher level enemies.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 03:12:14 pm »
I remember this game too.  I played for a little back in 2005, mostly doing smithing work, a crapton of cooking too, and I drop back in maybe once or twice a year to collect holiday items and such.  I think I was only around 23 for a combat level since I spent most of my time working on trade skills.  Honestly, I never thought the game was that bad.  It had the best economy and player stat system I've seen in an MMO, but it really needs a combat overhaul.  All it needs is a skill tree for the four main combat stats (plus archery) instead of just magic and prayer.

Also,
Did they ever do that graphical update that was always supposed to happen in a few months?

Well, they DID to an update to slightly better graphics about two years ago, I don't know if they ever made another one but I just started it up and it's not any different since then.

Although, apparently members get pets now.  f**king members.

There has been an HUD update in the 461 days since I logged in though.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 03:28:20 pm by dndfreak »

Offline darthvader52

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • What you say?
    • View Profile
    • Have formed a cabal.
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 02:13:00 pm »
ah i remember this, i started playing about 2001 stopped 2004ish got all the way up to level 52, which ironicly is also the number in my username for it, same as this one, i would start playing again, but ive got NO bank space left, i cant do anything with it...
Waging a war against a world thats given war up.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 02:21:39 pm »
Did you ever become a member? It's pretty horrific to go from members to free and then have your bank overloaded to something like 10 times its normal capacity with junk you can't even use.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 03:40:51 pm »
ah i remember this, i started playing about 2001 stopped 2004ish got all the way up to level 52, which ironicly is also the number in my username for it, same as this one, i would start playing again, but ive got NO bank space left, i cant do anything with it...

Actually, there's an auction house now, so within about ten days time you can sell out all the crap you don't need in your bank.

Offline Kidsoldier

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Warfare (TAW)
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 11:03:14 pm »
Uhh, you mean the grand exchange? and no, as a non member you cannot sell members items in the grand exchange; you can however drop them.. Which would take a long time.

Pretty much what Jagex has done is split the bank into non members items and members items rather than just having a limit of either.

So if you get forced back to non-member, you can keep all your member stuff and still have 67 slots to use up if you throw away the non-member junk you have in it.

I played Runescape from 2004 until 2006 and got to level 86.. I usually play it for like one day every 6 months to see whats new. New skill came out the other day: Dungeoneering. Its terrible and shouldnt be a skill.
TAW is recruiting members now! Check it out at TAW.net