Author Topic: A Sci-Fi/Space RP OOC  (Read 8807 times)

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
A Sci-Fi/Space RP OOC
« on: March 24, 2010, 01:51:46 am »
Ever want to write for or be a cheesy 50's Space Hero? Want to write the next Space Opera? Ever want to write a space-based science fiction adventure? Well, here's your chance!

This post is here to generate interest and discuss the possibilities of starting a Sci-Fi/Space based RP. I know right now there are a lot of RPs running (Steam, Super, Grand, and so on) but with Super and Grand getting ready to wind down I figured I'd attempt to take a whack at running an RP in a setting that we've not done before. Would anyone be interested in this? I will layout the background and a couple of ground rules that will make writing in this genre a bit easier. More info will drop as things get discussed here/I think of them.

Basic of the Basic Rules
  • The world should be new, and NOT based on any existing IP (Intellectual Property, IE Star Wars, Star Trek, etc).
  • Your character should make sense, and be easy to interact with. You can be an alien, a robot, a human, or whatever else you can think of but you must be understandable. Aliens must be translated (except where the plot demands that they shouldn't be), by which if you are an alien character talking to a human you should talk/post in English. If you want to indicate that speech or internal monologue is translated please use the ~ key before "quotations" or italics.
  • Please keep the technobabble to a minimum when possible. While it may be fun to write, it makes the story harder to understand for others and more difficult for others to respond to. Keep it simple.
  • Please limit the use of advanced technology. Especially technology that is solely beneficial to your character. If you have something like shields, make sure another player is capable of bringing them down. That is to say, don't god-mod yourself unnecessarily. We are basically following "Pop" Sci-fi writing, which means that even though lasers travel at the speed of light, you character could still dodge, survive, or be missed. In other words, all characters (villains and 'primitive' characters should be the occasional exception) should be about the same technological level.
  • Explain your tech. You don't need to know how it works, or anything like that but your character/you should always be able to describe what your tech does (unless the story demands otherwise).

Prologue
It's been several centuries since the dawn of the Great Space Age and the formation of the Coalition. A new unexplored and, as of yet, uninhabitable world has been found on the edge of Coalition space. This world, tentatively called Genesis, was found to be rich in numerous minerals and materials including the rare element that powers most faster-than-light drives, doridium-3. Soon after, a massive space station was planned and started construction in orbit around the planet. It was the most massive engineering and construction project undertaken by the Coalition in at least fifty years, and was completed just last year. Now, as terraforming gets under way people, business, and organizations of all sorts have gathered looking for the next big opportunity to come. They've come to the starting point. They've come to the mega-station and central hub for terraforming and mining efforts on Genesis; they've come to Nexus Point Station.

Background
The Coalition acts as a political body for the numerous space-faring races as well as acting as a mediator when a member race has a dispute with another member race. Should diplomacy fail, peace is often enforced through the deployment and use of the Paramilitary Defense Forces, Intergalactic; other wise known as the PDFI. Members of the Coalition can still maintain their own military forces, though most do not. Not all races are members of the Coalition, but these are generally looked down upon by those that are, or are treated with fear, hatred, and as if an enemy.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 08:59:38 pm by Doomsday »

"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
Re: A Sci-Fi/Space RP OOC
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 01:51:57 am »
Stolen from Pat:
Nexus Point - A Space RP - Information Station

The Story
Nexus Point - A Space RP - Information Station

The Racial Encyclopedia

The Primary Characters
Razonatair: Krashnor
Digital Hellhound: Daneuv Nayl
Tesla: Einstein™
Haseri: Arlen Dekuyper
Doomsday: T'vihle Var'ta Dox

The Secondary Characters
-none-

Inactive Characters
-none-

Key
Evil characters are denoted by red names, neutral characters are denoted by purple names, and good characters are denoted by blue names. Characters may remain unclassified by request.
Solid 'halos' denote a character that was present in a previous installment of this RP; beware, these characters usually have more back story than some RPs have posts.
* Asterisks denote characters that were created when the RP started, be warned, they may have a lot of back story.
Crosses denote a character that is currently not playing a major role in the story; this can include, but is not limited to: user inactivity, that character's death, or the character's creator turning that character into an NPC.
x The 'x' denotes a character that has not had an impact on the story due to a player dropping out or being inactive.
M An 'M' denotes a character that has minions, and if you click on the 'M' you will be taken to a description of those minions.

Other Things...
Villain Slots
Arc I: Doomsday

News and Updates
3/24/10
- Created OOC.
3/26/10
- Created Story Topic, created Racial Encyclopedia.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 05:06:20 pm by Doomsday »
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Digital Hellhound

• Rigel Rescuer
  • I refuse to be considered a mere nuisance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 06:49:41 am »
I'm interested.

EDIT: I also like Haseri's idea down there.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 10:23:02 am by Digital Hellhound »
I am the very model of a scientist salarian...

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 07:22:52 am »
I'm also interested.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 09:48:39 am »
How about on a new colony on a recently-settle world in a Federation/Empire that spans hundred of worlds? Just one in the dozens settled every year by the colonisation effort. Teraforming may not have even started/ongoing/not possible.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 11:15:50 am »
That was actually what I was going for, Haseri. I have the basic setting forming in my mind and I'll put it up in a bit. Suffice to say, establishing a strong focal point is paramount. I think I'll go and write that in now, in fact.

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 12:21:48 pm »
So would it be hard (realistic-ish) sci-fi, or something like a Space Opera?

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 12:32:13 pm »
That would be entirely up to how you want to play it. It has to be reasonable, and should be somewhat based in reality but it can still be pretty fantastic.

Personally? I'll probably play it as a Space Opera with aspects of hard Sci-Fi. I'll try to keep things somewhat realistic.. but it is ultimately a game and a story. So a lot of the laws of the universe are going to have to go out the window, or else it's going to be pretty hard for people to play and could get boring quick.

If you can reasonably explain why something should exist, and have a general idea of how it would work in real life than it is acceptable. So if you want a lightsaber/sword analog, you have to find a good way to explain it's existing. If you want a 40 foot tall fighting robot, you better be ready to explain why this is plausible and needed. You can do almost whatever you want, but you better be able to explain it or be called out on it. I'm not making my point very well, am I? Point is.. it has to be reasonable and rooted in reality in some way. It has to make sense in context of the story, your character, and such.

Edit: Prologue and some background info is up. >.> It's not pretty but it's a start.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 12:59:33 pm by Doomsday »

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 03:41:03 pm »
Well, it's interesting, though I won't say it hasn't been tried before, on this forum, like you say it hasn't.

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 08:25:59 am »
Looks pretty good. Just one question, can our characters start on the surface as well?

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 10:24:48 am »
When I get GURPS Space next week, I can help with the world-building.

We should make sure we know the limits doridium-3, and any other bits of Phlebtonium, Unobtanium, Handwavium or Minovsky Particles we create. That way we can't pull magical attributes out of our a**.

There should also be some things we should also tackle. Just some stuff off the top of my head:
1) How does FTL Travel work? Some ideas here. My personal preference is the 'Portal' option: small holes in space that are opened on one end using doridium...somehow... and open up in another system. Each system has a number of these holes, meaning that a ship needs someone or something to find the quickest route. Although you might have other ideas. And how fast it is. Do ships travel for months, or minutes?

2) FTL Communication. This is important as it dictates how trading between planets work. If communication is near impossible, or too expensive for private use, then 'free traders' would be common, as they travel from planet to planet, buying and selling their wares. If it was more widespread, and fast, or at least fast enough for deals to be made between companies, we would have more like we would have nowadays, with huge barges carrying millions of tons of cargo to planets.

3) Aliens. Will they be mostly human like (Star Trek approach)? Humanoid but distinctly not human (Star Wars approach)? Totally removed from humanity (Starfish Alien approach)? Or a mixture of all three (Mass Effect approach)?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 11:55:26 am »
Are there going to be bees? Last time we had bees and everyone died. :(

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 11:59:07 am »
We will, however a Beekeeper class will be created.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-tl6GBOBo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-tl6GBOBo</a>
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 12:31:25 pm »
We should make sure we know the limits doridium-3, and any other bits of Phlebtonium, Unobtanium, Handwavium or Minovsky Particles we create. That way we can't pull magical attributes out of our a**.

Well, the point of creating an unknown/fictional element is exactly so you can have it do otherwise magical things. If you want I can lay down some basics of it, but really exploring what it is, how it is used, and stuff like be the job of the characters themselves. In other words, it's something I feel should be explored in game rather than hashed out and planned. But if you want still want a frame work, I'll lay it out later (after work assuming I don't procrastinate).

1) How does FTL Travel work? Some ideas here. My personal preference is the 'Portal' option: small holes in space that are opened on one end using doridium...somehow... and open up in another system. Each system has a number of these holes, meaning that a ship needs someone or something to find the quickest route. Although you might have other ideas. And how fast it is. Do ships travel for months, or minutes?

The way I see it.. most species/races have developed their own unique way of FTL based upon their own sciences and technologies. Races lucky enough to have had contact with a space-faring race before they developed the ability themselves would have usually developed technology similar to that of the ones who influenced them, though. Time is flexible in an RP so I don't see a need to explicitly spell out how fast or slow something is. It's a story, so time is as flexible or as ridged as needed.

2) FTL Communication. This is important as it dictates how trading between planets work. If communication is near impossible, or too expensive for private use, then 'free traders' would be common, as they travel from planet to planet, buying and selling their wares. If it was more widespread, and fast, or at least fast enough for deals to be made between companies, we would have more like we would have nowadays, with huge barges carrying millions of tons of cargo to planets.

Same as above, but FLT communications have been standardized. It is possible but it is still pretty slow, considering the size of the universe and Nexus Point's distance from the closest relay is still quite far out. There is a system of relays and 'booster' stations throughout Coalition space that work to transmit and receive information. Though still FTL the speed of the communications vary depending on the type of data, size of data, number of relays along the line, distance out from relay, distance from nearest signal boosting station, and interference from man-made or natural phenomenon. Pure, simple text is the fastest but this is widely not used in favor of PNN (Projected News Network) broadcasts, "old' style video broadcasts, and projection-based videos/mail. There is a method of instantaneous communication but it is costly, has low throughput and bandwidth, and is solely point-to-point. This method Quantum Entanglement Communique, also called QEC (pronounced 'quick'), is in use on Nexus Point but it has a long waiting list and is very expensive for personal use, however for important or emergency official Council business (or business of dire importance for a council race delegation) circumvents these restrictions.

As a note, Nexus point also has a booster station that boosts any traditional FTL signal it receives. This is so that both the messages are clearer and so that it can broadcast out further into space in anticipation of further expansion by the Coalition.

3) Aliens. Will they be mostly human like (Star Trek approach)? Humanoid but distinctly not human (Star Wars approach)? Totally removed from humanity (Starfish Alien approach)? Or a mixture of all three (Mass Effect approach)?

This is something that should be hashed out by the characters themselves and in game. I won't limit characters to playing humanoids, but humanoids are generally the easiest to play and rationalize. The universe is as diverse as people imagine it to be. For example, what if it looks like we are playing by the more Star Trek method but suddenly are attacked by an outside alien race that is far removed from the norm.  Or what if we are playing by the Star Wars or Starfish Alien methods and suddenly find that.. hey... there were a ton of humanoid races in the past or we come in contact with a whole group of humanoid races through some course of events. So, I won't limit creativity in this way. Characters can play however they like. Personally, humanoid is easier to pull off but if you feel you can pull off the strange, the bizarre, or the downright ugly than go for it! I'd be more than happy to see diversity.

Are there going to be bees? Last time we had bees and everyone died. :(

If Futurama's taught me anything, it's that Space Bees are far to deadly to be allowed to exist. All Space Bees were wiped out in the Great Honey Wars/Grand Bee Purges that happened two hundred years ago.

Edit: Missed one. -_-'

Looks pretty good. Just one question, can our characters start on the surface as well?

Yes. Though unless your character can breathe in otherwise toxic gases and be immune to relatively LARGE swings in temperature or is in one of the very spartan research/mining domes, it is best that they be wearing habitat/spacesuits if directly on the surface. In other words... you're in a research/mining station or bust. >.>
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 12:37:47 pm by Doomsday »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 01:16:08 pm »
You gonna never do that again? Promise me that and I'll play. :)

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 03:37:45 pm »
So when can we start, you know, doing stuff?

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 05:38:28 pm »
So when can we start, you know, doing stuff?

Seconded.

I've got an idea for a race already...

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 07:55:44 pm »
Don't do what, the quoting everyone thing? Yea.. I won't be doing that again.. confused myself doing it.

And as for everyone else, yea. You've been free to make stuff for awhile.. I just thought we were talking ground rules. Knock yourself out.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 08:25:43 pm »
Describe Genesis' conditions... I'm thinking of a highly adaptive race humanoid in nature, but with the capability to slowly adapt to new worlds so long as the worlds aren't basically far, far below zero, or the entire surface is melted.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 08:37:47 pm »
Okay... I hadn't thrown together too many details (ie I'll be doing most of this on the spot) but sure.

Genesis is the 3rd planet out in a 6 planet system. It lies just outside the "Goldilocks Zone", so imagine it's out about as far as Mars is in our solar system. It has a strong gravitational field, about 1.3Gs, and a thick atmosphere of consisting of Carbon Monoxide, Methane, Carbon Dioxide, Hydrogen, Helium, Argon, and Krypton. Carbon Monoxide and Dioxide is the most by volume followed by Methane (which is 'only' 10% of the atmosphere). The temperatures vary wildly between night with the lows reaching about -90 degrees Fahrenheit and the highs reaching almost 200 degrees Fahrenheit. That's actually quite reasonable a swing, now that I think about it. Storms rage across the surface at times as well.

We can explore the world more later. But that should do for now, yes?

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 08:49:46 pm »
The Racial Encyclopedia

Index:
  • Xalute - The Xalute are generally humanoid, with two eyes, a mouth, nose, ears, etc. However, the similarities from one Xalute to another end here, as everything about their body can be different and change, with the exception of the brain and intellectual capabilities. Xalute are renowned and hated for their ability to adapt to even very hostile climates through the long and strenous process of Hostile Planetary Adaption. Because of this ability, their Empire is both enormous and feared. This fear stems from the perception of other races towards Xalute as war-mongers, who often crush lesser races for committing a faux pas in negotiations. However, Xalute tend to prefer not to make war if it is unnecessary. In the end though, other species care not about what the Xalute prefer, only that the Xalutian Empire could roll over dozens of species at once.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 08:01:41 pm by Doomsday »

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 10:22:55 pm »
The Xalute

Singular: Xalute; Plural: Xalute

The Xalutian homeworld, Grazta, is one of great change and constant strife. This change can be attributed to its highly elliptical orbit, which causes it to wander in and out of the "Goldilocks Zone" for half the Xalutian year(approximately two Earth years equal one Xalutian year, thus Grazta is habitable to humans for one year without artificial protection), shifting very violently from piping hot to temperate to freezing cold and back in only two Earth years. This constant climate change is compounded by Grazta's highly unstable axis caused by two Jupiter-class planets orbiting each other in the deeper Graztan System. As Grazta passed closer to these Jupiter-class planets, their combined gravity tears into Grazta's mantle, and causes a much larger occurrence of earthquakes and volcanoes, as well as shifting its very axis over a period of passes. This period of increased tectonic activity is known to the Xalute as the "Season of Destruction." What is more unfortunate for Grazta is that, if the Jupiter-classes are aligned in such a way as to coincide with one of Grazta's "Deep Winter" period, where Grazta is farthest from its star, the distance is lowered, therefore the effect is greater and the destruction increased. Consequently, the reverse is true when Grazta is in a "Scorching Summer" period of its orbit.

As a result, Graztan life is extremely adaptable to a large range of climates, as its only other choice is death. Graztan plants generally either hibernate during much of the Deep Winter, and flourish during Scorching Summers, but there are exceptions to this rule, much as there are exceptions to the rule that trees shed their leaves in Fall upon Earth. In contrast, Graztan animal life cannot simply hibernate during Deep Winters, due to a constant threat of a more ferocious animal adapted to all Graztan seasons attacking it in its sleep. At the same time, the shifts are too great to simply shed some fur or grow more. So Graztan animal life took the option of adaptability. All animal life upon Grazta constantly adjusts its bodily structures while maintaining its general shape, growing new organs or recycling them for fuel, thickening the skin or thinning it, and many other possible changes while maintaining their basic shape. The Xalute are no different.

The Xalute are generally humanoid, with two eyes, a mouth, nose, ears, etc. However, they vary enormously in skin covering, ranging from practically translucent if the Xalute has spent a good deal of time underground, to having an immensely tough covering across their body in the case of soldiers, who were constantly subjected to intense pain and injury in order to maintain their natural armor, lest it be recycled(such practices are seen as barbarous now, instead, the Xalutian military utilizes various hormones matching those which create armor, etc). Most if not all of their attributes other than intelligence can vary as well, with extremely strong, massive Xalute to weaker, smaller Xalute who don't dedicate themselves to heavy lifting or fighting. Their color ranges from black to white to translucent, and every color in between, from a solid colored to multi-colored, almost rainbow-colored, Xalute. The color of a Xalute is primarily determined by what form of light they're exposed to; green light fosters green light, red light fosters red light, and so on. The changing of skin color is much faster than planetary/climate adaption, and occurs in only a few days, so that if a Xalute were to spend some time on Mars(assuming it's still reddish), that Xalute would take on a rusted color.

In contrast, planetary/climate adaption occurs over a period of months or even years, depending on how different the world is from Grazta. Immune adaptions are the only fast change involved when a Xalute adapts to a new planet, quickly learning to attack new pathogens, though the Xalute does still undergo a short period of sickness, assuming there is life on the world. If the Xalute cannot live upon a world, it undergoes a process which has been refined over the many years the Xalute has spent in space; "Hostile Planetary Adaption" (Xalute are not known for creative technical terms). By H.P.A., the Xalute have managed to adapt to atmospheres with as little as the record 0.9% Oxygen composition on a naturally cold world, and 1.3% Oxygen composition on hotter worlds than their own(hotter worlds requiring more oxygen due to the natural heat increasing the oxygen usage of Xalute cells despite 'insulative' layers of flesh). The average for a more temperate world is ~1.1%, being the average between colder and hotter worlds(all lower levels of oxygen requiring the development of more sophisticated lungs and/or biological filtration organs to remove toxic elements).

H.P.A. is a very time-consuming but also extremely rewarding process in which a single Xalute is placed into a special, pressurized 'home' for as long as needed, adjusting the atmospheric composition, pressure, and temperature slowly until matching that of the target world. H.P.A. is a very strenuous time for a Xalute, as the adjustment can take many years depending on how different the target world is from the Xalute's host world. The process is also purposely uncomfortable for the Xalute, as discomfort is the primary signal that tells their bodies to adapt to the new conditions. Eventually, the Xalute is adjusted to the world, and they are transferred into a transport container mimicking the same pressure, etc of the 'home' for transport to the target world. Having arrived at the target world, the container is simply placed upon its surface and opened, a newly adjusted Xalute walking out, feeling quite at home on the new world. There is absolutely no substitute for H.P.A., as the precise blend of hormones that the Xalutian body produces to adapt from one world to another is nearly impossible to replicate and reproduce as an injection, as all worlds are unique, thus, H.P.A. is the only safe, long-term method for planetary transfer. Shorter stays(or if the Xalute would rather remain adapted to its host world, as well as the ever-present possibility of a ship-to-ship direct connection) involves the use of suits in the same way that a human astronaut uses a suit to survive space, though these suits must be far more flexible and elastic, to account for Xalutian muscle/bone growth/deterioration, among other factors.

Thankfully though, offspring are spared the horrors of H.P.A., as all planetary adaptions are hereditary from mother to offspring. However, it is unrecommended that pregnant Xalute undergo H.P.A., as their constantly shifting adaptions have been known to produce offspring which immediately die upon birth, be it because of under-developed organs or total lack of the necessary organs for survival on the world. This is not to say its impossible, if the difference between two worlds is only slight, there is little danger, but the risk grows exponentially with an increasing gap between planetary conditions the possibility of death becomes certain. Because of H.P.A. and the hereditary passing on of adaptions, Xalute have managed to become a rather prolific race throughout a good portion of the galaxy, scoffing at the idea of "terraforming" worlds, even though they can have only perhaps one or two children every four Earth years(two of their years).

Despite the greater burden placed upon a Xalutian ship's life support systems to be more adaptive among other burdens, most if not all of the races that have had prolonged contact with the Xalute have, at some point, used violence against the Xalute. This natural tendency towards violence against Xalute can be explained.

For one, many races feel insecure in the face of the enormous Xalutian Empire, feeling total destruction could be possible. This fear often encourages nervousness in the ranks of the race speaking to the Xalute, and rather quickly, some idiot grunt misinterprets a motion a Xalute makes, and accidently fires on it. The Xalute, having long since grown tired of such antics, often take revenge upon the race by smashing the grunt, which of course starts a chain reaction of violence until the whole debacle spirals into a war that ends up forcing the race to surrender or sue for peace.

Secondly, other races hear of the Xalutian "Anger," and assume such rumors to be true. Very quickly, all the other races band together against the Xalute, cowering in their own way, without stopping to consider that perhaps the crushed race started the whole war. This simply increases the fear and nervousness factors which further increase the number of trigger-happy-soldier-caused wars.

Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, the Xalutian ability to adapt to a wide range of planets to the extent of not needing support apparatuses is an extremely enviable ability(This also happens to be what has let the Xalutian Empire grow so large, thus causing points one and two, so this point is perhaps the root of the roots). Most of the races, having been in contact with the Xalute long enough to learn of this ability, quickly develop a kind of sub-conscious jealousy of the Xalute. This jealousy then grows into prejudice against the Xalute which are perceived as thinking themselves better than all the other races. And we all know what prejudice can cause, having many examples of it on our Earth.

The unfortunate and oft-overlooked truth of the Xalute is that they would prefer not to wage war on other races, being a gentler race more suited to devoting itself to cultural and intellectual progress. But no one seems to see this, so instead, they see an enemy to be crushed before it crushes them. Most races would sooner shoot than think when it comes to Xalute.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:34:00 pm by Razonatair »

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 11:05:20 pm »
Name: Krashnor

Bio: Krashnor has spent the majority of his life in training to become a diplomatic envoy to other civilizations as part of a new Xalutian program called "New Reputations" on Grazta, learning the habits of various species and their individual civilizations in order to try to lessen the perception of the Xalute as a war-mongering species and consequently reduce the prejudice of the other races to at least form some semblance of good relations, as most races ban any kind of Xalutian immigration or trading. Krashnor tends to prefer the weaker, shorter form of Xalute, as physical work is not all that appealing to him, though he has no preference for what color he is, letting it shift naturally. Thus his height tends to remain at around five feet, increasing or decreasing with various gravities over a period of time.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 11:07:58 pm by Razonatair »

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 04:18:42 am »
I'm gonna assume humans exist and are part of the Coalition, is that okay?

Name Daneuv Nayl

(Looks forty-something due to genetherapy and treatments)

Bio: Nayl comes from Narech, a corporation-funded human colony where the colonists undertook massive genetic modifications to survive on the planet,
as terraforming was seen as too slow and too expensive. These modifications started small, but as time passed, more changes were to made to make life on the surface easier. Massive filter systems were created in the colonists' lungs to make the air breathable for them and their bodies became thinner and lighter for easier movement on the light-gravity world. In the end, they only barely resembled humans.
Because of their heavy lungs and upper body, the Narechi always stand and walk a little hunched in heavy- or standard-gravity worlds.
As news spread of their changes, some human movements responded with outright hostility, despite official acceptance. As time passed, these movements grew in strenght, and -government name- was forced to declare the colonists a 'subspecies' of humans, simply mutants to the masses.
The Narechi Subspecies still survived, though they were forced to live on only the colony and the corporation which had funded them in the first place was shut down.

At the age of 26, Nayl left Narech with a trader ship for Hyperion Academy, a school located on a space station, their focus on researching the culture, history and language of all known alien species. Fortunately, as time had passed, discrimination against the Narechi
had mostly disappeared, and he was accepted as just another student there.
Six years later, he left the Academy, eager to actually meet more of these aliens, and if possible, live amongst them.
From there on, he has lived on over a dozen different alien colonies and countless trade stations, drifting from one to another.
Just recently, he was hired to act as a mediator and diplomat between the different races on Nexus Point Station, one of many.
He knows, and can speak with the help of some vocal implants, over twenty different alien languages and an expert on their cultures.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 01:26:08 am by Digital Hellhound »

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 06:59:13 am »
Name: Einstein™ The Einstein logo is a registered trademark of Ascendance Ind. The Intuition Unit and Dynamic Motivation Driver are the Intellectual Properties of Tom McEniff.

Bio: Einstein is a robotic prototype developed by Ascendance Industrial. Although his technology was developed on Earth, he was manufactured on Genesis so that he could be safely observed in a real world environment without being overstimulated.

While other robots function on a pre-programmed set of rules and motivations, Einstein was given the ability to define his own rules or adapt them from the people around him. His primary motivations always stay the same; be helpful, stay alive, etc. However he can become motivated to help one person in particular more than others, and is capable of re-prioritizing his motives to suit his needs. He is also the first robot built with the intuition unit, which is (obviously) a separate computer within him that has the ability to work out problems without any obvious solutions or make guesses. A side affect of these are that he has an innate curiosity and imagination.

Because he has not been publicly announced by his creators yet, Einstein's humanity can be surprising to some. He currently does odd jobs for people around Nexus Point.

He normally resembles a shiny black human without a head, standing about 6 feet tall. He has three large yellow eyes set into his torso. His legs are very large and strong, and his arms are thinner and multi-jointed with five fingers spaced evenly apart at the ends. His brain is regularly backed up to a massive hard drive in a server room in the station.

(In his spare time, he also enjoys baking and playing the guitar.)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 07:02:00 am by Tesla »

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 08:45:21 am »
Name: Arlen Dekuyper

Bio:
Hailing from the Core World of Valhalla, one of the 12 worlds at the heart of human-majority space, Arlen grew up in the largest of its bloated cities, Yggdrasil, having outgrown its dome when terraforming was complete over a century and a half before. His family was moderately wealthy, living in a large-ish apartment close to the city's spaceport, with its shuttles and space elevator sending supplies and people to Bifrost station orbiting the planet.

Arlen's chief interest was in terraforming. He spent is Allocated Personal Learning time finding out about how Valhalla was once a cold desert, not unlike how Mars used to be. Then humans came along and spent the long, slow, now refined process of turning an inhospitable wasteland into a place where humans didn't need respirators or a huge, expensive-to-maintain arcology dome.

When he was old enough, he applied to HabGen, the official terraformers for the Coalition. As part of his training, he traveled with other students across the New Colonies, seeing how HabGen deal with different problems. Genesis is the first real project the 150 trainees working on, from start until the projected finish in 20 or so standard years, when the environment would be self sustaining, possibly with its own unique forms of single-celled life.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 11:43:14 pm by Haseri »

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 09:23:33 am »
Digital: I don't want to go too deep into the lore of the world, because frankly the fun is fleshing it out, but in my head I've envisioned humanity as one of first to join, if not one of the founders of, the Coalition. Just remove the reference to humanity suddenly discovering aliens and the Coalition because they'd of been part of it for centuries now. Also, remove "If anything needs changing, I'll change." It's not really needed as I won't usually ask you to change anything major unless it conflicts with the world as established. Think of this as more of a request than anything else.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2010, 12:09:40 pm »
Didn't you say you wanted to not actually have Earth in this universe, but that we could use it to base time off of, Doom? Because Haseri assumes the Earth exists.

Oh, and "EarthGov" sounds stupid. We really need a different name for the human government.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 12:14:57 pm by Razonatair »

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2010, 12:20:20 pm »
Oh, and "EarthGov" sounds stupid. We really need a different name for the human government.

miniluv bellyfeel razon doubleplusungood

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2010, 12:21:31 pm »
Fine, how does Terran Union sound?

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2010, 12:23:32 pm »
Fine, how does Terran Union sound?

ungoodthink. ingsoc send haseri joycamp speedful.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2010, 12:24:57 pm »
Sounds better. I've never heard of any nation calling itself EarthGov, and I'm not sure we're even letting Earth really exist.

And at plank... what? Some kind at poke at Leo? Because he is designed to be like that.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2010, 12:25:51 pm »
No it's 1984.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2010, 12:26:07 pm »
newspeak. plusgood.

bb is tripleplusgood.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2010, 01:12:47 pm »
My original intent was to not allow references to Earth... mostly because it gets troublesome to set out the history of the earth and I also wanted to avoid the cliched use of Earth Standard Time.. since that is largely impossible, since we are humans are selves. There can be Earth.. I just ask that characters aren't from Earth itself... and that you don't touch on too much of Earth's history Government. To that end, EarthGov could simply be the name of an organization that contracts for the government and the Coalition.

Terran Union is cliched, but it works if you want to change it. Again, though, Terran Union sounds like and works better as if it were the name of a fringe group or organization. But it is your character and your backstory. I don't mean this in a negative way, but I don't really care what you write as long as it's reasonable. You can keep it at EarthGov, just know that ti won't actually be Earth's governing body if I ever feel like getting into that aspect of the world. >.> The original point (that I must have editted out somewhere along the line) was to not even have the earth exist as this is a different universe/galaxy. That was my original intent, but I changed my mind for now. Just leave the details sparse and vague.

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2010, 01:22:34 am »
Mmh, I don't really like EarthGov myself either, I just took it from somewhere because I didn't want to think up a name for the human government >_>

I'll edit that part to 'as time had passed'. Leaves it nicely vague.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 01:28:17 am by Digital Hellhound »

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2010, 02:42:52 am »
Changed mine as well to be more vague.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2010, 05:23:15 pm »
That works well. We need people to take on Villain Spots as well. I'll take the first one or two Arcs. I still need to get my character(s) situated too. If they're no volunteers in let's say a week, we'll just run the first arc and progress from there? This week is going to be really busy for me with work so that's the only reason I'm holding off on starting (even then I may change my mind and start early).

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2010, 03:51:34 pm »
I hate triple posting (I'll be posting a character next >.>) but I've finally started on the first Arc. I'll take Arc I and II to set things up. Razon might take III, but it is still largely open. If anyone wants to try a villain just post. Also, what time zones are everyone in? That'll help me understand what times are best for people so I don't move to quickly.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2010, 04:19:02 pm »
I'm Central (-7:00 GMT)

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2010, 05:04:25 pm »
Name: T'vihle Var'ta Dox
Race: Varci

Dox served as one of the lead designers and lead engineer for Nexus Point until completion. Upon completion of the station, he was recommended by his government to be the Station Administrator and Facilitator for Nexus Point. Begrudgingly Dox took the position, whose duties include not only being the liaison between the Coalition, the station, and the races on-board but also being responsible for the day-to-day operations and management of the station and its staff. Preferring machines and designs over people and socialization had made the transition difficult for him, but now a little more than a year later he, the staff, and the diplomats have developed an uneasy truce.

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2010, 09:04:12 pm »
I'll actually have to leave on friday for two days >_>
Visiting relatives. I wish I was told of things like this a bit sooner.

(GMT +2)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:05:48 pm by Digital Hellhound »

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2010, 10:11:16 pm »
I didn't have anything concrete until people started joining and I wanted to give people time to pick up villain spots (and for some people who said they'd join to find more time). I can push it back if no one minds.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2010, 11:00:46 pm »
I'm in GMT.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2010, 12:05:38 am »
Well it's well into Saturday morning for most of you GMT folks, as it's already early morning (very early morning >.>) for me. So I'm posting the start of Arc I now. That way Digital won't miss too much and we can still get started.

So here we go, people. Prepare for some epic foreshadowing and umm schtuff. >.>

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2010, 02:02:28 am »
Question, what is the average tempreture of the planet?

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2010, 06:42:35 am »
Depends on the time of day... it swings depending on the 'time of day' and location. At the 'equator', during the 'day' in the 'summer' period the average temperature is about 150 degrees Fahrenheit, which is about 66 degrees Celsius. The same area during the day in a 'winter' period generally averages between 70-80 degrees Fahrenheit, or 22-26 degrees Celsius. At night the temperature can drop to blow zero any season, though it's significantly colder during the winter periods with the average being low at night being as low as -100 degrees.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2010, 11:32:34 am »
What are we all waiting for? Digital?

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2010, 02:45:40 pm »
I'm waiting for someone else to post... We don't take turns, you post whenever.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2010, 03:10:38 pm »
Maybe doom then?

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2010, 03:14:41 pm »
Or you. :P

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2010, 03:39:18 pm »
Fine I'll try to think of something.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2010, 05:41:07 pm »
I was gonna post when I got home. :-p I meant to do it last night but net was a bastard. <.<

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2010, 09:45:48 pm »
Sorry for the wait, couldn't really think of anything yesterday. I'll post today, I have it ready in my head now.

EDIT: I scrapped that idea, but posted something else anyways.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:10:38 am by Digital Hellhound »

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2010, 11:53:32 am »
Doomsday - Is Dox still gonna go to the arboretum?

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2010, 12:42:41 pm »
Probably. I mean I have to talk with the Xalute delegation and I can do that on my way down there... the Arboretum is as a good a place as any to set up the Xalute. It's relatively secure and defensible easily enough. You may want to have nameless NPC or something do CPR though. If you intend to save those people. Your call. :-p

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2010, 12:53:05 pm »
Oh, I wasn't expecting your guy to do that. That was just a part of my post-thing.

I'll just wait around, no point doing a post about my guy hanging around.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2010, 11:18:48 pm »
Hellhound... Stop it. >.> I can understand getting yourself out of the mess you put yourself.. I ran with it. I can even run with this, but the security guys haven't really been able to do much to the computer systems. They don't have much control and certainly not enough to do what you suggest... though Gerna or whatever may well be taking credit for it, he's not responsible for it. In fact.. when I'm not so tired and headachey.. I'll post along those lines. >.> You can throw whatever curveballs you like and I can run with them, but I see being subtle won't work this time. So... in short... please stop making people more adept than they are supposed to be. <.<

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2010, 04:20:41 am »
Hellhound... Stop it. >.> I can understand getting yourself out of the mess you put yourself.. I ran with it. I can even run with this, but the security guys haven't really been able to do much to the computer systems. They don't have much control and certainly not enough to do what you suggest... though Gerna or whatever may well be taking credit for it, he's not responsible for it. In fact.. when I'm not so tired and headachey.. I'll post along those lines. >.> You can throw whatever curveballs you like and I can run with them, but I see being subtle won't work this time. So... in short... please stop making people more adept than they are supposed to be. <.<

I was hoping you'd say something about it, and tried to contact you in the chat room several times after and during the writing of the first post.
I had to think of something, what was I supposed to do, blame it on a malfunction in the system? I'll edit it to that, or whatever you say, but I wish you'd just said something to me after the first post, and all of this could've been prevented.
I was going to make the bots use lethal force at first and just have him escape, but they're in a populated zone. There's no reason he'd try to escape from a simple stun gun (or just bots standing around).

EDIT: Also, I should've been more clearer about Garna's 'hacking'; he got maybe two or three rooms open and 'stunned' the nearby bots (or are you saying there's no anti-electronic weaponry in the future?)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 04:24:39 am by Digital Hellhound »

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2010, 09:22:49 am »
Ahh the first post wasn't so bad, it was easy enough to work around. The second just wasn't clear and had someone taking credit for something that wasn't possible, which invoked a response since I was tired, and not feeling well. >.> Anyway.. it's fine now that I understand what you meant by hacking.. and there are electrical weapons and the like. Ways to shut down electronics.. just normally security bots would be at least slightly protected from such obvious means of deactivation.. but it's all good. It works.

Also... I idle in the chatroom. Chances are if my name in IRC ends with|Sleep or |Work, then I'm not gonna be around for at least 5 hours. |Away means I'm in and out but won't notice anything unless I get a query (pinging me doesn't do anything, neither does just saying my name as I don't have that set up).

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2010, 09:28:30 am »
Ahh the first post wasn't so bad, it was easy enough to work around. The second just wasn't clear and had someone taking credit for something that wasn't possible, which invoked a response since I was tired, and not feeling well. >.> Anyway.. it's fine now that I understand what you meant by hacking.. and there are electrical weapons and the like. Ways to shut down electronics.. just normally security bots would be at least slightly protected from such obvious means of deactivation.. but it's all good. It works.

Also... I idle in the chatroom. Chances are if my name in IRC ends with|Sleep or |Work, then I'm not gonna be around for at least 5 hours. |Away means I'm in and out but won't notice anything unless I get a query (pinging me doesn't do anything, neither does just saying my name as I don't have that set up).

I can have him be a liar, so he didn't actually do anything, sure. Can you PM me with a reason they could've stopped working there? (I'll remove the 'stay calm' text from the first post if needed)
And by the way, when I tried to contact you for the first time, you had nothing after your name. So hah!

Is there a specific time you might be on the chatbox?

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2010, 09:50:01 am »
He can just be a liar the rest of it is fine and has already been referenced and worked around. I don't like retconing things so once there is another post after it, especially one that references it,  it is canon and we just have to work around it some how. No big deal. The first part wasn't that bad really, the second part wasn't either except that it started to show a trend I disliked. :-p Don't mind me too much though.. I can usually work around most things.

Yea... >.> That happens too. Either a connection reset or my being in a rush. lol

Depends on when I work.. but the later in the day (EST) the better. So not until fairly late GMT time.

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2010, 09:57:57 am »
I'll try to avoid godmodding, even if very minor, in the future >_>