Author Topic: A Sci-Fi/Space RP OOC  (Read 8801 times)

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
A Sci-Fi/Space RP OOC
« on: March 24, 2010, 01:51:46 am »
Ever want to write for or be a cheesy 50's Space Hero? Want to write the next Space Opera? Ever want to write a space-based science fiction adventure? Well, here's your chance!

This post is here to generate interest and discuss the possibilities of starting a Sci-Fi/Space based RP. I know right now there are a lot of RPs running (Steam, Super, Grand, and so on) but with Super and Grand getting ready to wind down I figured I'd attempt to take a whack at running an RP in a setting that we've not done before. Would anyone be interested in this? I will layout the background and a couple of ground rules that will make writing in this genre a bit easier. More info will drop as things get discussed here/I think of them.

Basic of the Basic Rules
  • The world should be new, and NOT based on any existing IP (Intellectual Property, IE Star Wars, Star Trek, etc).
  • Your character should make sense, and be easy to interact with. You can be an alien, a robot, a human, or whatever else you can think of but you must be understandable. Aliens must be translated (except where the plot demands that they shouldn't be), by which if you are an alien character talking to a human you should talk/post in English. If you want to indicate that speech or internal monologue is translated please use the ~ key before "quotations" or italics.
  • Please keep the technobabble to a minimum when possible. While it may be fun to write, it makes the story harder to understand for others and more difficult for others to respond to. Keep it simple.
  • Please limit the use of advanced technology. Especially technology that is solely beneficial to your character. If you have something like shields, make sure another player is capable of bringing them down. That is to say, don't god-mod yourself unnecessarily. We are basically following "Pop" Sci-fi writing, which means that even though lasers travel at the speed of light, you character could still dodge, survive, or be missed. In other words, all characters (villains and 'primitive' characters should be the occasional exception) should be about the same technological level.
  • Explain your tech. You don't need to know how it works, or anything like that but your character/you should always be able to describe what your tech does (unless the story demands otherwise).

Prologue
It's been several centuries since the dawn of the Great Space Age and the formation of the Coalition. A new unexplored and, as of yet, uninhabitable world has been found on the edge of Coalition space. This world, tentatively called Genesis, was found to be rich in numerous minerals and materials including the rare element that powers most faster-than-light drives, doridium-3. Soon after, a massive space station was planned and started construction in orbit around the planet. It was the most massive engineering and construction project undertaken by the Coalition in at least fifty years, and was completed just last year. Now, as terraforming gets under way people, business, and organizations of all sorts have gathered looking for the next big opportunity to come. They've come to the starting point. They've come to the mega-station and central hub for terraforming and mining efforts on Genesis; they've come to Nexus Point Station.

Background
The Coalition acts as a political body for the numerous space-faring races as well as acting as a mediator when a member race has a dispute with another member race. Should diplomacy fail, peace is often enforced through the deployment and use of the Paramilitary Defense Forces, Intergalactic; other wise known as the PDFI. Members of the Coalition can still maintain their own military forces, though most do not. Not all races are members of the Coalition, but these are generally looked down upon by those that are, or are treated with fear, hatred, and as if an enemy.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 08:59:38 pm by Doomsday »

"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
Re: A Sci-Fi/Space RP OOC
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 01:51:57 am »
Stolen from Pat:
Nexus Point - A Space RP - Information Station

The Story
Nexus Point - A Space RP - Information Station

The Racial Encyclopedia

The Primary Characters
Razonatair: Krashnor
Digital Hellhound: Daneuv Nayl
Tesla: Einstein™
Haseri: Arlen Dekuyper
Doomsday: T'vihle Var'ta Dox

The Secondary Characters
-none-

Inactive Characters
-none-

Key
Evil characters are denoted by red names, neutral characters are denoted by purple names, and good characters are denoted by blue names. Characters may remain unclassified by request.
Solid 'halos' denote a character that was present in a previous installment of this RP; beware, these characters usually have more back story than some RPs have posts.
* Asterisks denote characters that were created when the RP started, be warned, they may have a lot of back story.
Crosses denote a character that is currently not playing a major role in the story; this can include, but is not limited to: user inactivity, that character's death, or the character's creator turning that character into an NPC.
x The 'x' denotes a character that has not had an impact on the story due to a player dropping out or being inactive.
M An 'M' denotes a character that has minions, and if you click on the 'M' you will be taken to a description of those minions.

Other Things...
Villain Slots
Arc I: Doomsday

News and Updates
3/24/10
- Created OOC.
3/26/10
- Created Story Topic, created Racial Encyclopedia.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 05:06:20 pm by Doomsday »
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Digital Hellhound

• Rigel Rescuer
  • I refuse to be considered a mere nuisance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 06:49:41 am »
I'm interested.

EDIT: I also like Haseri's idea down there.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 10:23:02 am by Digital Hellhound »
I am the very model of a scientist salarian...

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 07:22:52 am »
I'm also interested.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Online Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 09:48:39 am »
How about on a new colony on a recently-settle world in a Federation/Empire that spans hundred of worlds? Just one in the dozens settled every year by the colonisation effort. Teraforming may not have even started/ongoing/not possible.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 11:15:50 am »
That was actually what I was going for, Haseri. I have the basic setting forming in my mind and I'll put it up in a bit. Suffice to say, establishing a strong focal point is paramount. I think I'll go and write that in now, in fact.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 12:21:48 pm »
So would it be hard (realistic-ish) sci-fi, or something like a Space Opera?
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 12:32:13 pm »
That would be entirely up to how you want to play it. It has to be reasonable, and should be somewhat based in reality but it can still be pretty fantastic.

Personally? I'll probably play it as a Space Opera with aspects of hard Sci-Fi. I'll try to keep things somewhat realistic.. but it is ultimately a game and a story. So a lot of the laws of the universe are going to have to go out the window, or else it's going to be pretty hard for people to play and could get boring quick.

If you can reasonably explain why something should exist, and have a general idea of how it would work in real life than it is acceptable. So if you want a lightsaber/sword analog, you have to find a good way to explain it's existing. If you want a 40 foot tall fighting robot, you better be ready to explain why this is plausible and needed. You can do almost whatever you want, but you better be able to explain it or be called out on it. I'm not making my point very well, am I? Point is.. it has to be reasonable and rooted in reality in some way. It has to make sense in context of the story, your character, and such.

Edit: Prologue and some background info is up. >.> It's not pretty but it's a start.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 12:59:33 pm by Doomsday »

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 03:41:03 pm »
Well, it's interesting, though I won't say it hasn't been tried before, on this forum, like you say it hasn't.

Offline Digital Hellhound

• Rigel Rescuer
  • I refuse to be considered a mere nuisance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 08:25:59 am »
Looks pretty good. Just one question, can our characters start on the surface as well?
I am the very model of a scientist salarian...

Online Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 10:24:48 am »
When I get GURPS Space next week, I can help with the world-building.

We should make sure we know the limits doridium-3, and any other bits of Phlebtonium, Unobtanium, Handwavium or Minovsky Particles we create. That way we can't pull magical attributes out of our a**.

There should also be some things we should also tackle. Just some stuff off the top of my head:
1) How does FTL Travel work? Some ideas here. My personal preference is the 'Portal' option: small holes in space that are opened on one end using doridium...somehow... and open up in another system. Each system has a number of these holes, meaning that a ship needs someone or something to find the quickest route. Although you might have other ideas. And how fast it is. Do ships travel for months, or minutes?

2) FTL Communication. This is important as it dictates how trading between planets work. If communication is near impossible, or too expensive for private use, then 'free traders' would be common, as they travel from planet to planet, buying and selling their wares. If it was more widespread, and fast, or at least fast enough for deals to be made between companies, we would have more like we would have nowadays, with huge barges carrying millions of tons of cargo to planets.

3) Aliens. Will they be mostly human like (Star Trek approach)? Humanoid but distinctly not human (Star Wars approach)? Totally removed from humanity (Starfish Alien approach)? Or a mixture of all three (Mass Effect approach)?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 11:55:26 am »
Are there going to be bees? Last time we had bees and everyone died. :(

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 11:59:07 am »
We will, however a Beekeeper class will be created.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-tl6GBOBo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-tl6GBOBo</a>
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 12:31:25 pm »
We should make sure we know the limits doridium-3, and any other bits of Phlebtonium, Unobtanium, Handwavium or Minovsky Particles we create. That way we can't pull magical attributes out of our a**.

Well, the point of creating an unknown/fictional element is exactly so you can have it do otherwise magical things. If you want I can lay down some basics of it, but really exploring what it is, how it is used, and stuff like be the job of the characters themselves. In other words, it's something I feel should be explored in game rather than hashed out and planned. But if you want still want a frame work, I'll lay it out later (after work assuming I don't procrastinate).

1) How does FTL Travel work? Some ideas here. My personal preference is the 'Portal' option: small holes in space that are opened on one end using doridium...somehow... and open up in another system. Each system has a number of these holes, meaning that a ship needs someone or something to find the quickest route. Although you might have other ideas. And how fast it is. Do ships travel for months, or minutes?

The way I see it.. most species/races have developed their own unique way of FTL based upon their own sciences and technologies. Races lucky enough to have had contact with a space-faring race before they developed the ability themselves would have usually developed technology similar to that of the ones who influenced them, though. Time is flexible in an RP so I don't see a need to explicitly spell out how fast or slow something is. It's a story, so time is as flexible or as ridged as needed.

2) FTL Communication. This is important as it dictates how trading between planets work. If communication is near impossible, or too expensive for private use, then 'free traders' would be common, as they travel from planet to planet, buying and selling their wares. If it was more widespread, and fast, or at least fast enough for deals to be made between companies, we would have more like we would have nowadays, with huge barges carrying millions of tons of cargo to planets.

Same as above, but FLT communications have been standardized. It is possible but it is still pretty slow, considering the size of the universe and Nexus Point's distance from the closest relay is still quite far out. There is a system of relays and 'booster' stations throughout Coalition space that work to transmit and receive information. Though still FTL the speed of the communications vary depending on the type of data, size of data, number of relays along the line, distance out from relay, distance from nearest signal boosting station, and interference from man-made or natural phenomenon. Pure, simple text is the fastest but this is widely not used in favor of PNN (Projected News Network) broadcasts, "old' style video broadcasts, and projection-based videos/mail. There is a method of instantaneous communication but it is costly, has low throughput and bandwidth, and is solely point-to-point. This method Quantum Entanglement Communique, also called QEC (pronounced 'quick'), is in use on Nexus Point but it has a long waiting list and is very expensive for personal use, however for important or emergency official Council business (or business of dire importance for a council race delegation) circumvents these restrictions.

As a note, Nexus point also has a booster station that boosts any traditional FTL signal it receives. This is so that both the messages are clearer and so that it can broadcast out further into space in anticipation of further expansion by the Coalition.

3) Aliens. Will they be mostly human like (Star Trek approach)? Humanoid but distinctly not human (Star Wars approach)? Totally removed from humanity (Starfish Alien approach)? Or a mixture of all three (Mass Effect approach)?

This is something that should be hashed out by the characters themselves and in game. I won't limit characters to playing humanoids, but humanoids are generally the easiest to play and rationalize. The universe is as diverse as people imagine it to be. For example, what if it looks like we are playing by the more Star Trek method but suddenly are attacked by an outside alien race that is far removed from the norm.  Or what if we are playing by the Star Wars or Starfish Alien methods and suddenly find that.. hey... there were a ton of humanoid races in the past or we come in contact with a whole group of humanoid races through some course of events. So, I won't limit creativity in this way. Characters can play however they like. Personally, humanoid is easier to pull off but if you feel you can pull off the strange, the bizarre, or the downright ugly than go for it! I'd be more than happy to see diversity.

Are there going to be bees? Last time we had bees and everyone died. :(

If Futurama's taught me anything, it's that Space Bees are far to deadly to be allowed to exist. All Space Bees were wiped out in the Great Honey Wars/Grand Bee Purges that happened two hundred years ago.

Edit: Missed one. -_-'

Looks pretty good. Just one question, can our characters start on the surface as well?

Yes. Though unless your character can breathe in otherwise toxic gases and be immune to relatively LARGE swings in temperature or is in one of the very spartan research/mining domes, it is best that they be wearing habitat/spacesuits if directly on the surface. In other words... you're in a research/mining station or bust. >.>
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 12:37:47 pm by Doomsday »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 01:16:08 pm »
You gonna never do that again? Promise me that and I'll play. :)