Author Topic: "Summer Wars"  (Read 2402 times)

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
"Summer Wars"
« on: March 07, 2010, 08:06:25 pm »
If you can't appreciate Sci-Fi and/or animated movies (specifically Japanese Animation aka Anime), then Summer Wars may not seem like an interesting title to you at first, but I would recommend giving it a chance. I realize I am talking to a particularly small audience with this topic, but I figure it's worth mentioning anyway.

Summer Wars is a story about Kenji Koiso, a 17-year old math whiz who just missed out representing Japan in the "Math Olympics", and actions both himself and the actions of the family of his crush, Natsuki Shinohara, in saving both the virtual and physical world from chaos. There exists a digital world, a program called OZ in which users interact with each other and are capable of performing both real-world tasks such as filing your taxes and shopping as well as play games and socialize world wide. OZ is protected by the most advanced security encryption protocol there is (the movie says it's 2,056 digits encryption, though I think this is a script error as 2,048 bit encryption would be the correct key size (1024*2)) and is used for everything from local government and city management to hosting martial arts/fighting competitions. Little does anyone realize that those security measures will soon backfire when in the course of one night, OZ's main system password is decrypted and hacked. Chaos ensues, and in it's wake one family and one 17-year old boy stand up against insurmountable odds to take back the digital world of OZ, and stop the chaos from spreading and killing possibly millions.

It is a really quality movie, that (in my opinion) merges several genres quite seemlessly. This movie is as much a family drama and action movie as it is a Sci-Fi one. It does suffer from a few culture shock moments, specifically since the game of Japanese card game of hanafuda becomes somewhat important later on. It is still overall pretty easy to follow, and pretty engaging. I would probably classify it as more "soft Sci-Fi" than "hard Sci-Fi" though there are aspects one could consider 'hard' Science Fiction. There are just a few things that are factually wrong (besides the 2056 bit key encryption), but they can be ignored for purposes of the fiction and those errors themselves are throw-away lines of only minor importance.

I just finished watching this movie, dubbed in Japanese but subtitled into English, and it appears it is coming to the UK sometime in September. I would highly recommend it if you are a fan of Sci-Fi or/and Anime.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:37:53 pm by Doomsday »

"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Re: "Summer Wars"
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 03:35:18 am »
Wow.

I haven't even heard of it, yet it seems very interesting...

Thanks, DD! ;D I owe you one! :)

Offline Future Neoadept

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • Future perfect.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:27:59 am »
Oh, the Math Olympics. I really only ever watched those for the opening ceremony.

From the far future I fondly fracture the facade of your fanciful and fictitious frivolity. Five pfennigs for this furious and fabulous phantasm who faces not forward. Faith Forfend! Tis Future Feofafept... ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuu

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 03:40:34 pm »
Wow.

I haven't even heard of it, yet it seems very interesting...

Thanks, DD! ;D I owe you one! :)
You think everything is interesting Yuu.
Everything.
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 10:58:40 pm »
Quite an interesting observation, that... >_>

Which might be the reason why it became one my characters' catchphrase.