Author Topic: Political Correctness going too far?  (Read 17264 times)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
Political Correctness going too far?
« on: December 06, 2005, 02:18:52 pm »
Everybody's afraid to just say "Merry Christmas" for fear of hurting other peoples' feelings. I don't believe in God, or Jesus for that matter, but I don't get my panties in a tither when I recite the pledge of allegiance in the morning (If people don't know, it includes the words "Under God" in it). Anybody else feel that we need to cool it with this PC BS?

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Political Correctness going too far?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 02:30:44 pm »
With great freedom comes great agitation.

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 10:15:56 am »
It's actually the reverse for me....I've gotten chewed out for typing "Xmas" in instant messages or irc simply because it's shorter.

Gay marriage has left center-stage, so the new thing to whip people into baseless hysteria is "they want to take Christ out of Christmas!" - I think that campaign started last year...at least that's the first time I became aware of it.

I don't really care about the words in the pledge (even though they weren't there originally), or that they're on the currency, except in relation to the pretext that church and state are supposed to be separate - that's the only argument I'd pose for taking them out - otherwise, don't have that pretext anymore.

(Though I do think the pledge every morning in school from kindergarten on is really strange - I can think of no other first-world country that does something similar.)

Offline TheShark

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • It was either that or a rattle-snake bite...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 10:37:15 am »
Funny enough, Target is being boycotted for saying "Holidays" or something PC like that instead of "Chrsitmas".

People get mad if you say Christmas and get even madder when you don't. I personally think saying "holidays" is better anyway. If I owned a buisness, I would want my campaigns to be for anyone, not just the majority.

Wow, this makes me realize how long it's been since I was an active user here.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 11:02:51 am »
Funny enough, Target is being boycotted for saying "Holidays" or something PC like that instead of "Chrsitmas".
But saying "Holidays" isn't merely for the sake of political correctness. It's more than one holiday.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 11:28:43 am »
It's actually the reverse for me....I've gotten chewed out for typing "Xmas" in instant messages or irc simply because it's shorter.

Gay marriage has left center-stage, so the new thing to whip people into baseless hysteria is "they want to take Christ out of Christmas!" - I think that campaign started last year...at least that's the first time I became aware of it.

This is actually not new, its been around for awhile. I personally don't have a problem with it. Happy Holidays usually can be used to cover all the Hoidays like new year. But to change something like what you call a Christmas tree is going too far. It is a Christmas Tree !! Not a Holiday Tree.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 11:54:52 am by LadyM »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 11:54:06 am »
Since human society has (For the most part) put a halt to beating each other senseless we have had to find other ways to bother people or prove that we are right.

:P

Find a better answer. I dare you!

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 11:54:40 am »
except in relation to the pretext that church and state are supposed to be separate - that's the only argument I'd pose for taking them out - otherwise, don't have that pretext anymore.

It doesn't actually say that anywhere in the Constitution. It says that the government won't do any favors for the church and the church shouldn't expect anything. It never says that they are completely seperate.

Since human society has (For the most part) put a halt to beating each other senseless

I miss the old days...

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline TheShark

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 12:00:09 pm »
But saying "Holidays" isn't merely for the sake of political correctness. It's more than one holiday.

That's what I meant by PC. Something that displays the holiday season without be exclusive to one holiday.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 12:31:17 pm »
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 01:02:01 pm »
One thing that irks me is when people call them holiday trees instead of Christmas trees. Don't. Just don't. Call it what it is. Its not my holiday, and it certainly isn't secular...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 01:05:40 pm by sgore »
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline TheShark

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 01:19:49 pm »
No...it's Pagan!  ;D originally.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 02:04:27 pm »
That's what I meant by PC. Something that displays the holiday season without be exclusive to one holiday.
Oviraptor is a person. So is Leng. Jayce is, too. Oviraptor has more posts, but together, they are not "Oviraptor," they are "people." Proper nouns and all that.
Christmas is a holiday. So is חנכה. Kwanzaa is, too. More people celebrate Christmas, but together, they are not "Christmas," they are "holidays." Proper nouns and all that.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 02:20:33 pm »
One thing that irks me is when people call them holiday trees instead of Christmas trees. Don't. Just don't. Call it what it is. Its not my holiday, and it certainly isn't secular...

Following that argument you shouldnt call them Menorahs, they are "Yiddish celebration Candle holders" although I think the religious connotations of that are all too obvious.

The solution is not to not mention christmas, but to give mention to all the religious festivals which always happen around this time of year.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline TheShark

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 02:28:22 pm »
Have a good Chrismahanakwanzaka!

And a happy Festivus for the rest of us!