Author Topic: Just Cause 2  (Read 15933 times)

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
Just Cause 2
« on: March 04, 2010, 07:53:14 pm »
There's a demo out now, available on Steam, Xbox 360, and PS3, so go try it out. You have 30 minutes to explore "35 square miles" and do a mission or two. You can start over once the 30 minutes is up.

Initial impressions are: unskippable cutscenes are annoying, and the dialogue and voice acting is atrocious. I'm sure no one wants to play this game for the story though. Graphics are acceptable, though it didn't look good for something that brought my PC to 25 FPS. Luckily it scales down gracefully.
Despite weakness in other areas, gameplay is very fun. The only actual mechanic I may find annoying is it's a little difficult to escape from the unlimited supply of rocket-spouting helicopters they throw at you.

Overall, it's a great improvement over its predecessor. Explosions and grappling hook fun abounds. However... I wouldn't pay $50 for it. Or however much it is when it comes out.

Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Just Cause 2
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 08:24:57 pm »
Here's my version!

The gameplay is acceptable - It's fun but I think being able to do proper story missions will make things better. Hijacking choppers and blowing things up is fun but will probably wear thin after a couple days without a concrete mission structure (which the full version is supposed to have). In terms of graphics the game looks fantastic and (at least on my system) runs like a dream at maximum settings. I would wait for some reviews before putting down any money. While the game seems fun, it looks like the kind of game that may not have a well-developed single player component (which is the same thing that killed the first game for me).

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 12:38:05 am »
Just installed Win7 and gave the demo a try.
It's nice. I really like how good it looks, and how well it manages to perform on my 8800 GT (which is apparently the bare minimum DX10 card).

Since I'm a fan of just screwing around and causing trouble, this looks like it'll be a lot of brainless fun for awhile.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 03:47:38 am »
It's really fun, I'll get the full version once I have the money.

Nothing like attaching a barrel to a canister, shoot the canister and hold on to it, fly up in the air, jump off and open your parachute while they blow up :D

Or drive a bike/car off a cliff and parachute out while watching the vehicle fall on your enemies and kablooey!
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Digital Hellhound

• Rigel Rescuer
  • I refuse to be considered a mere nuisance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 05:02:51 am »
I'm gonna get this for mah birthday.

I loved getting as far up as you could (so far the sky broke, in fact) with a helicopter and then jumping out and then just... falling... (without a parachute, of course) in the first one, let's see if I can repeat the trick in this one as well.
I am the very model of a scientist salarian...

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 06:36:15 am »
I loved getting as far up as you could (so far the sky broke, in fact) with a helicopter and then jumping out and then just... falling... (without a parachute, of course) in the first one, let's see if I can repeat the trick in this one as well.

AHHH! I did that last night! It was fantastic falling through the sky, dancing with my helicopter as the emergency lights and buzzers went off. :D

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 06:59:57 am »
New time-wasting fun: hook a moving car to another moving in the opposite direction :v:

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 07:07:52 am »
Or hook an enemy helicopter to something solid(Haven't tried this yet, but it sounds possible). :P
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 08:27:09 am »
Or hook an enemy helicopter to something solid(Haven't tried this yet, but it sounds possible). :P

The line'll just snap. Also fun, stand on top of someone's scooter cart and ride it around for a while. Or, hook someone on a moped to the floor. Laugh.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 09:03:37 am »
well, i really like the hook/shute thing, it was hard getting used to but after a while you really dominate your surroundings.
the vechicels seem sort of fake to me though, they control fine but they are sort of plastic :P

and what i really didng like was that the general guy was just wandering around outside with a ton of health like some mmo boss, i was expecting that he was just in super heavy cover, and that you had to go through a complex to take a hit on him :-\

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline sporelord

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 09:32:03 am »
Here's my version!

The gameplay is acceptable - It's fun but I think being able to do proper story missions will make things better. Hijacking choppers and blowing things up is fun but will probably wear thin after a couple days without a concrete mission structure (which the full version is supposed to have). In terms of graphics the game looks fantastic and (at least on my system) runs like a dream at maximum settings. I would wait for some reviews before putting down any money. While the game seems fun, it looks like the kind of game that may not have a well-developed single player component (which is the same thing that killed the first game for me).

I definatly agree with patman so far, Its an improved version of the original, Not sure if i actually want to buy it though.
Check out MindWorld a Psychological Sci-Fi FPS adventure indie title....It's pretty awesome :p http://www.indiedb.com/games/mindworld/images/mindworld-concept-art1

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 12:25:35 pm »
forget what i said, get a damn tank god yes

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 12:30:37 pm »
I got a minigun and I was screaming MWUHAHAHAHAHA WHAT SICK MAN SENDS BABIES TO FIGHT ME

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

Offline Digital Hellhound

• Rigel Rescuer
  • I refuse to be considered a mere nuisance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 12:33:20 pm »
I got a minigun and I was screaming MWUHAHAHAHAHA WHAT SICK MAN SENDS BABIES TO FIGHT ME

Yeah, too bad you can't use the grappling hook with it :P
I am the very model of a scientist salarian...

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 12:35:17 pm »
the vechicels seem sort of fake to me though, they control fine but they are sort of plastic :P

Styrofoamy.