Author Topic: Heavy Rain  (Read 3420 times)

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
Heavy Rain
« on: February 25, 2010, 06:46:06 pm »
Anyone else grab this yet?

I got Heavy Rain on Tuesday and I beat it Thursday morning. I think it took me eight hours our so to beat, I'm not sure I wasn't really timing myself, but you could totally beat it in a day if you wanted to. Overall I liked it, there are parts where it's absolute brilliant, and other parts that make me groan. (I didn't guess who the killer was either, kinda good, but I do have a gripe with it)

Stuff I like:
At moments I was totally drawn in really caring what happens to my character, because they can die. There are some pretty big decisions you have to make too, and I seriously had to take a moment to think about them. They handle controlling four characters well and it keeps the pace up for the most part. The story overall is great. Animations for the action parts of the game are great.

Stuff the I didn't like:
The voice acting is all over the place. It's mostly because they have brits doing American accents, so if you're not American, you might not notice. The dialog is kinda bad in places, "That's what I call girl Power," OMG, stfu, seriously! I'm blaming brit writers on that one. The animations for dialogs are weird. This is mostly uncanny valley stuff, and it totally looks unnatural at times. Uncharted 2 did all these things beautifully (seriously play that game if you haven't already) so it raised the bar greatly and HR isn't holding up. It's kinda annoying when the story is such a huge part of the game. The walking is stupid, you have to hold down the R2 button to move forward. I kinda understand why they did it this way, but when my character gets stuck in a corner spinning around, it's a problem. Then there are some plot holes they never really explain, so that's kinda bothersome.

Other Stuff:
Graphics are suppose to be a major thing for this game, but for me,  it falls under the acceptable graphics for this generation. It looks good, it's just there weren't any, "holy smokes look at that" moments. That's how it is for most games these days.

I like the game. The things i didn't like don't ruin the game, but it's enough that to keep a good game from being amazing. I recommend people who like thrillers and more adult stories. There are some great moments in there. At the very least give it a rent.

I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Rain
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 02:28:58 am »
I just laughed so hard when watching a review from Good game how bad the make out scene looked. I wish I could post a you tube of the review from the show but seeing how the game has "bewbs" they couldn't really put the review up (and I couldn't exactly post it here either).

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 02:59:34 am »
URL it?
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 03:22:17 am »
Like I said the video isn't on you tube because the review it's self shows some of the nudity that's in this game. I'll post the shows website though  The previous episode reviewed Dante's Inferno as well both games have nudity in them you can watch the reviews on the site just making sure that you are well warned before hand.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 08:03:17 pm »
Acceptable graphics? I think it looks amazing, and I'm not even playing it, I'm watching a live broadcast.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 07:33:28 am »
Acceptable graphics? I think it looks amazing, and I'm not even playing it, I'm watching a live broadcast.

The game looks nice and there is a lot of details, like magazines things like that, laying around in each environment, which i appreciate. The problem is that some items and props are dull looking or have poor looking textures. This could be because of uncanny valley and that the game takes place in "real life environments" that I see everyday. Compared to space stations, war zones, or the city of Rapture it being in real life probably makes me a much harsher critic. Also, a lot of today's games look the same to me. Out of Bioshock 2, Modern Warefare 2, Mass Effect 2 and Heavy Rain, none of these game looks better or worse than the other. Sure if you were to compare screen shots of each game I might say game A looks better than game B, but i don't really care. What impresses me more is art direction and the environments that a game takes place in. Unfortunately for Heavy Rain, it being in real, everyday, mundane, environments, it doesn't have any noticeable art direction or style choices compared to an extreme like Mirrors Edge. Also I live in Seattle, so playing a game in a rainy city environment doesn't necessarily wow me.  :P

That's what I mean by acceptable graphics. It probably came out harsher then I was intending.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 08:49:05 pm »
One more thing: why is it that whenever people talk about British actors doing bad American accents and say only Americans will notice, I never do? They sound fine to me.  ???

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 09:32:53 pm »
I keep confusing this with 'vampire rain'...

I think that's one of the worst games out there. >_>

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 09:13:34 am »
One more thing: why is it that whenever people talk about British actors doing bad American accents and say only Americans will notice, I never do? They sound fine to me.  ???

It's probably because you live in Texas  :P If you can't notice it then great ,you'll enjoy the game that much more. Really the main offenders are the father and the FBI agent. For the dad there's a part where your looking for your son and when you press X you're yell out his name. It sounds so weird. Then the FBI agent has Boston accent that isn't quite right, and he's the only character with this accent so he seems even more out of place.

The parts of the woman and the private eye do a pretty good job.

Here's the part with the father, just skip ahead to about 8:40, and listen to how he says Jason that first time. No real spoilers here, it's still kinda early into the game.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TberFLXJcI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TberFLXJcI</a>
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 09:24:52 am by ilikesanta »
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 08:43:00 pm »
Just watched it through to the ending. Holy crap, I would've never guessed that this is a spoiler. It just never crossed my mind. And to think that the killer was a person... man. Deep.

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 02:34:31 pm »
The FBI agent goes from passable to baby Joey Wheeler. Seriously, he sounds like a small child.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 02:39:00 pm »
And to think that the killer was a person... man. Deep.
You ruined the entire game for me! I'm spoiled forever!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 09:43:31 am by Snork »
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 09:50:29 pm »
Yahtzee reviews Heavy Rain.
This oughta be interesting.

Spoilers for the, uh, third? trial. The lizard one.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 09:56:12 pm by Kishmond »