Where to?

Talk to your associates.
2 (66.7%)
Go straight to cryo.
0 (0%)
Explore the bowels of the ship.
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: A New World  (Read 4174 times)

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
Re: A New World
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 12:09:34 pm »
Sorry. Sometimes I forget to update.

This update is pretty long, and doesn't come with any choices. I realized there'd be points where it'd be impossible to create a meaningful choice. It's either no choices, or some kind of dumb unimportant one.

Also, all of these updates are more or less first drafts. I write 'em and post 'em. I think writing is kind of hit and miss with me, mostly misses imo. I've always thought I spend far too much time following a rigid structure of conversation then action then conversation, without any kind of memorable prose. Anyway, I'd like more constructive criticism. It's why I'm here.

WARNING: Simply awful description ahead. Oh my.

"Sorry. I've been planning to take a look at the ship we'll be travelling on." Hara smiled apologetically, but it was just a hollow smile. He was still annoyed about being awoken early and being "owned." It was all for the adventure.

"I understand." Isha dug into her purse and pulled out her clipboard. "It's been 200 years." She continued, tapping away at the bright transparent screen. "I know I'd be excited, seeing all the advanced technology. You'll get all the time you want to explore the ship and our many other little gadgets. I promise." The clipboard made a sudden chirping noise. "There, full security clearance. Enjoy yourself." She returned his smile and went back to her walk.

Isha was weird, Hara had decided. She always seemed to be happy about something, like she was the happiest woman on earth. No one could be that blissful going through life.

He shrugged it off and glanced at his watch, it was just 1pm. Time to explore the space ship of the future.

The facility was full of screens, all over the walls, placed as if they were paintings. Normally Hara had just acknowledged them as part of the scenery, but today every one he passed by switched on, displaying "HARA: TURN LEFT IN 20M" or "CONTINUE AND TAKE SECOND RIGHT." It was unnerving, but their directions took him right to a door labeled "Launch Pad A3E7" which slid open almost as soon as Hara could see it.

The room inside was cavernous, maybe 6 stories tall and equally wide. Taken up most of the available space was a massive ship. It was a giant sphere about 60 meters around, made up of overlapping metal sheets, strangely resembling scales or roof tiles. They radiated from a large circular white light of the sphere about a meter diameter facing Hara, and presumably the opposite side as well, creating a sort of flower or eye appearance, where the sheets all met and bent outwards. At the top of the sphere, two protrusions emerged and extended in both directions. At it's thickest, right where they broke from the sphere, the protrusions were about 2 meters. They both tapered down to a flat horizontal edge. One was far longer than the other, with a 6 meter long glass window covering the front. The other (presumably the back of the ship) seemed to exist only to protect a long strip of exhaust pipes and jets and machinery, sticking out from the sphere. Engineers dotted the surface of the hull, welding or taking readings, althrough overall it looked finished.

The whole ship was quite a contrast to the interstellar ships of Hara's day. They'd all been made up of a mesh of carbon nanotubes protecting some machinery and a long habitable cyclinder which rotated fast enough to create 1 G of gravity on the inner surface. This new ship looked far less cramped.

One of the metal sheets appeared to unhinge itself and open downwards, revealing an entrance to the interior. Hara peeked in, unsure if the entrance was for him.

//Hello Hara, welcome to the Mayflower. I was told to expect your visit.//

Lights in the entrance corridor flickered on, revealing how unfinished the ship really was. The right wall of the corridor was all done, similar to the corridors of the Astronimus facility. All smooth white metal. None of the panels were placed on the left wall, and the wires drooping from the ceiling and wall reminded Hara a little of jungle vines. He stepped in and the door immediately swung shut again. 

//You must think I am a terrible host! My name is Christopher Jones, I am the pilot and navigator, but am also equipped to deal with any of the ship's functions should a member of the human crew fail to do so. Unfortunately the ship's main entrance is being uncooperative, so I must direct you through a service corridor. Please hurry ahead.//

The voice was slightly masculine, but accentless. It spoke like a butler welcoming guests. Funny, 200 years ago it would have been insanity to place your trust with a machine for a pilot. It always took a while to people to get accustomed to new technology, he guessed. Hara did as he was instructed and took a walk. The corridor continued before turning a hard right. It opened onto a larger, finished corridor. Oddly enough, every wall, ceiling and floor from here on seemed to be about 2.5 meters wide.

//The ship has been constructed with every possibility in mind. Should the pull of gravity change direction due to machine error, I am quite capable of rearranging furniture and even doorways to suit the crews needs. Moving swiftly on, I believe you have recently come out of deep freeze? You should be delighted to hear that modern cryogenic technology has erased the chance of any temporary brain damage that you may have suffered. I promise you are in capable hands. Do you want me to show you to your quarters?"

"I... uh..." Before Hara could respond, a panel of the wall slid open, releaving a fairly generic looking service droid. Humanoid, white with black and red accents. An astronimus logo adorning its chest. It had one large red eye in the center of its face. Again, it seemed slightly masculine, possibly only because it had been built without breast or wide hips, most likely for economic reasons. This time, Christopher Jones' voice came from the droid itself.

//Please come this way. Would you like to hold my hand?// The droid attempted to take Hara's hand, but he stepped away, a little freaked out.

//I am sorry. Tests have shown that when taking on a humanoid appearance, AIs are more trustworthy if they create an image of innocence. I was attempting to create an image of innocence.//

“Maybe next time... In a child sized body.”

//I appreciate the input. This way please.//

(To be continued. Tomorrow. Maybe. Or the next day.)
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 11:41:39 am »
Moving swiftly on...

They wondered the ship for a good hour or so. There was so much to see.  Most of the ship’s innards were subtly built on thousands of different panels that could be rearranged instantaneously. Many rooms were spherical with furniture on all walls. Apparently, after a method of defeating anti-gravity had invented, it made sense to keep the space saving principles of anti-gravity.
Hara’s “quarters” were a tiny room near the centre of the ship. Just a bed recessed into the floor, a screen on the wall, and a cryo chamber, which looked far more high tech than his old one.
They were in the cockpit, the strangest room of the ship by far. It wasn’t tall enough to stand in, only about 2 meters. However it was a good 10 meters wide. The floors, walls and ceiling were all made of dark tinted glass. It was one of the only rooms in the ship anti-gravity would remain. The design ensured a pilot could see and reach controls all the way around him. Christopher Jones and Hara were lying down. The robot wouldn’t shut up about every minor aspect of the ship, and ignored Hara’s constant requests to be left alone. Hara was staring through the floor, at the engineers and drones making changes and calibrations down below.
//I read your book by the way. Or, I was born having read it. Whichever you prefer. Very insightful. My favourite chapter was the one on potential sensory organs not seen in earth animals. Speaking of sensory organs, did you know I can see the entire spectrum of light? The ship’s sensors can too. Don’t worry, you’re not missing anyth-//
“I think that’s enough, Christopher. Please go sync with the ship and do some scans or something.” It was Isha. She had come up behind them without making a sound. Christopher obediently nodded his head and crawled backwards to the main body of the ship.
“I must have asked him 50 times.” Hara mumbled.
“I think he likes you.”
“Oh great, fanbots.”
“Ronan wants a word. He’s in the control center.”

The control center was the hub of the ship, located at the top of the ship’s sphere body, close to the cockpit entrance. The name was somewhat misleading. Far from the expected jumble of computers and buttons, it was a pristine black and white room laden with windows and leather couches. Ronan was reclining on a large circular couch. He looked about 60, with graying hair and tanned skin. His skin looked like it had been tightened by a plastic surgeon. He reminded Hara of an action movie star.
“Hara, sorry we haven’t had time to talk! Been very busy.” He had a strong American accent.
“I hadn’t noticed.”
“Hah! Okay, so here’s the dealio. HQ is putting pressure on us to leave early, and by early I mean today. In a few hours. Maybe not even, actually. As soon as the engineers are done. Where was I? Oh right. Yeah, so I haven’t put out a formal reply, I’m just waiting for you to okay this. It’s not like you have anything to pack, right? Hah!”
Isha had sat down beside Ronan, and it appeared to be her turn to speak.
“Of course, there are some risks on leaving now. We won’t have time to complete our secondary and tertiary scans, which could leave us open to currently unknown dangers. We might need another 2 or 3 days. Everyone else seems okay with this, but Ronan wants everyone on board.”
“Everyone!”
Christopher’s voice rang through the ship. //I think it’s unwise, Hara. I can tell it’s there’s still some problems with the ship lying around.//
“So what’ll it be?”

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 10:26:40 am »
Draw, draw, draw.

Also, 4 voters mean 4 people who could post. Post you fools!

Offline Digital Hellhound

• Rigel Rescuer
  • I refuse to be considered a mere nuisance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 11:31:55 am »
"I'm going crazy, cooped up in this facility. Let's go!"
I am the very model of a scientist salarian...

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 11:33:01 am »
when will we see aliens.
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 01:38:03 pm »
Probably like 2 updates away.

EDIT - Can't update with a tie.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 03:32:21 pm by Tesla »

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 04:16:21 pm »
Done.

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 01:21:25 pm »
I'm gonna try switching to first person. Tell me what you think.

"Alright, let's do it." To be honest, I wasn't completely sure how much my input really mattered. I'd been looking forward to leaving ever since the briefing, but I guess they woulda left regardless of what I said.

"Wonderful! I have to go inform the crew. Christopher, pack up the droids."

//Fine Ronan, but don't let my objections go unnoted.//

Within only half an hour, the ship suddenly buzzed into life. All remaining scaffolding had simply collapsed itself and wheeled away, most of the droids had folded themselves up and tucked themselves into compartments, and the crew was busying themselves switching on and preparing all the electronics.

I felt a tap on my shoulder, and turned to see a droid with a large hiking rucksack on it's back.

//Hara, it's Christopher. I need to give you something.// He slid the rucksack off his shoulders and gave it to me. It was clearly new, a silvery white colour and branded with the Astronimus logo like everything else.

//Complimentary luggage, everything you'll need is in there. Please open it in private, the ground team gets all the cool things and everyone will want them.// Christopher had a surprisingly natural voice, and he didn't seem confined to clear cut, emotionless English like all the simpler AIs I'd met.

I wandered the corridors for a while, peeking through open doors. A lot of them were private quarters for the crew that wouldn't be entering cryo, or different control rooms. I found Morry sitting in an observation room, though we hadn't left the ground yet. He turned and beckoned to me.

"Hallo Hara. Ik wants too to regarde un view with ik. Well, not now. C'est plus impressive when noos takes off, un ground falling away." His eyes were staring into the middle distance out the window expectantly, and I sat down beside him. I like to think I was beginning to understand him at that point.

//Everyone is on board, take off zone is clear, and system checks are complete. No point in a countdown, it'll just waste time. Up we go!"

"Allons-y!" Morry cried.

Suddenly the whole ship started humming, and as Hara watched, the ceiling of the large room the ship had been contained in seemed to evaporate, revealing the bright blue sky above. The ship took off without any additional noise, the ground appearing to fall away, just as Morry described. I was glad I didn't miss it.

At first I just saw the base in it's entirety, a campus made up of 5 large buildings and a multitude of smaller ones. Then I saw a beach, and a forest, and eventually I could see whole islands, and the world stretched out below. We were in the Philippines. I thought to myself. Soon the island we left was just a dot, and I could see all of China and Russia below, and the stars above.

"This is my third time in space." I mumbled to Morry. He just nodded and kept staring out the window.

After about 20 minutes of drifting in orbit, I left for the cockpit. The gravity had left and now I could see the cockpit as it was intended. Ronan hovered comfrtoably in the centre front, where the ceiling was lowest. The glass around him was covered in bright, complex controls and charts.

"Hello Ronan." I said.

"Hara, just in time to see the first bang!"

"What do you mean?"

"In about 20 seconds we'll be out of the solar system, we're hopping to the Oort cloud first."

"We can do that in a matter of seconds?"

"Sure we can, just watch! Christopher, initiating Fusion Bang."

//Engine's been waiting for the last 20 minutes Ronan, let's go. Everyone, hold on to something... Just in case.//

There was a pause... Then, BOOM! An intense white light briefly blinded me, and a sound like a sonic boom reverberated through the ship. I instinctively slammed my eyes shut, even though I'd already gotten the worst of it.

I noticed that I suddenly started drifting towards the right side of the cockpit, and opened my eyes.

"Woah." We were surrounded by asteroids and dust that seemed to extend forever in all directions. It was much darker now, light was getting in through a few gaps in the cloud of rocks, where I could see the stars.

"The good news is, we're now incredibly far away from the Earth" Ronan said. "The bad news is, we'll need to do that twice daily for about 2 months. We call it skimming; Bouncing through space from one point to the next."

It was a little unfortunate that this had to be my first experience beyond the solar system. I'd have liked to feel more excited but... In the end, it was just a bunch of rocks.  I spoke up after a few minutes.

"Well! This has been nice and all, but I think I'll be off." Ronan didn't acknowledge me, engrossed in reading graphs and occasionally murmuring something to Christopher.

I left the ship, and wandered where to go next.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 01:25:14 am »
We were in the Philippines.

Woah... That was rather unexpected...

Hmm... I was thinking we were somewhere in the general vicinity of the US.

Or are we? :o

Any information on how large the US got during the interim, Tesla?

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 02:37:31 am »
I mentioned earlier that they were in Oceania.

And I don't know, I figured the US might have merged with Canada after the formation of an American Union.

But I haven't really thought about the US that much.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2010, 02:51:55 am »
I mentioned earlier that they were in Oceania.

D'oh! >_<

Sorry 'bout that, my head's been spinning lately.