Where to?

Talk to your associates.
2 (66.7%)
Go straight to cryo.
0 (0%)
Explore the bowels of the ship.
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: A New World  (Read 4176 times)

Online Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
A New World
« on: February 24, 2010, 01:07:56 pm »
Trying another story game. It'll be more linear this time. The choices made will have less of an effect on how the plot goes, but more of an effect on how you're treated throughout it.

A collection of random thoughts, fragments of memory, brief images of a life long ago; Flying by. He had stopped noticing them, had mentally curled up into a foetal position. He wished he remembered who he was. Was it him? The man in the memories? If so, where was he now?
   Cold. He remembered cold. He was... cold. Darkness all around him. He wanted to scream, to shout, to beg, anything to get out of this coffin.
   “Hello?!” The words shocked him. He had opened his mouth and shouted before even remembering how. “Let me out! Let! Me! Out!” He underlined each word by banging on the walls around him. He was in a fairly snug container, 7 feet tall, 3 feet across and 2 feet wide. The walls were a dull grey metal, not rusty, surprisingly clean. Weird, where was the dust? Skin flakes are dust, right? He didn’t remember how he knew that.

“I don’t want to stay here! I can’t stay here! The world has gone wrong, no one does anything anymore! You don’t do anything anymore!”
   “Can’t you stay here for me? For the kids? We don’t want you to leave us!”
   “Don’t you understand? I don’t love you anymore! The kids are all rude little brats, just like everyone else their age today! All they care about are the screens they stare at all day, or our next vacation, or who to **** next! When was the last time they went outside? When was the last time YOU went outside?”
   “You know we can’t-“
   “Can’t or won’t?”
   “Just stay with me please we’ll make this work I’M BEGGING YOU! Stay with me?”
   “I can’t!”
   “Can’t or won’t!?”

More memories were coming. Vivid ones, first person. He had left, he was here willingly. Why had he left? He had loved someone.
   “Good morning Mr. Hara, it has been 198 years since last you were conscious. How are you feeling? Any severe memory loss? Motor functions normal?”
    The voice rang through his chamber, though he couldn’t see any speakers. It was a female voice, with no hint of emotion, but not like those computers. It was a real voice. You could always tell.
   “Can you tell me where I am? Will you let me out?”
   “Memory loss then. Just relax, Mr. Hara, it’ll come to you... sooner or later. In the meantime, you’ve been rented.”
   “Rented?”
   “On a contract, Mr. Hara. Our client read your book on panspermia and xenobiological studies. He thinks we may have use for you. Just say the word and we’ll have you out of that nasty box and into bed. I know how exhausting Deep Freeze can be. What’ll it be Mr. Hara? Adventure or another 200 years in a tin can?”

No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
Re: A New World
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 01:10:23 pm »
This sounds pretty good Tesla. Keep it up! :)
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 05:12:45 pm »
Adventure!

Online Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 12:23:51 pm »
   “Are you feeling okay? Tell you what, don’t answer now. Just sleep for a while. I’ll send a medic in later to make sure you’re okay. We can always erase your memory of this whole ordeal later, if you choose to return to deep freeze...”
   The wall before him opened smoothly and quietly, revealing a very pleasant bedroom, lit by ambient yellow lights and with a slight smell of roses. The bed was massive and fluffy, and he suddenly realized how tired he was. Eager for sleep, he steps out of the box-
   -And collapses to the shag carpet.
   “A little disorientation is to be expected, Mr. Hara. Just give it a moment.”
   He breathed deeply, collecting himself. His muscles hadn’t atrophied; they just felt weaker than he remembered. He tried again, and found it easy. The bed was 3 feet away, 2, 1.
   Sleep now.

“So I’ll wake up in a thousand years, with several billion dollars worth of interest in my wallet? This seems to perfecto be true.”

“Not at all, Hara. Although the government does take a 20% cut on Freezers’ accounts, and of course, there’s our 30%-“

“Yes, yes, anything. And I won’t be disturbed? I won’t be woken up in 300 years  to sign some trillionaires autograph?”

“No no, we’ll make sure of that Hara. In fact, I wager that in only 100 years you’ll be completely and totally...

Forgotten.”

It seemed like he had been sleeping for years, but only now was it peaceful. Cleansing, even. He woke up feeling reinvigorated. Ready for anything. He hopped out of bed and looked around the room. The box was gone; it had seemingly been placed in the centre of the room while he was still in it. The room was cream coloured with darker brown accents. Very comfortable. A large window displayed a beach, palm trees rustling in the wind, waves washing up onto the shore. He could almost feel the sea spray. But was it a window? Best to assume not, he thought. Always assume the worst and you’ll always be happy.
   There was a desk, and a shelf full of books, and a couch facing the window (must be a screen then) Everything you’d expect in a master bedroom. The door was opposite him, no card scanners or eye readers, not even a keyhole. They trusted him. And just as he turned away, he heard the door slide open.
   “Parley too Mediterr?” A deep, gruff voice called. Hara turned, shocked, to see a 6 foot tall muscular black man, grinning down at him. You could see every gleaming white tooth in his mouth. He was wearing scrubs that were clearly a size too small, and was holding an unfamiliar gadget that looked medical.

“Le boss tells ik too’s bin having un peu trouble after le deep freeze, nein? Common va-too now?”

“...What?”
   “No worries, no worries. Just detent auf le bed there, let ik see too’s chest?” The man took Hara’s arm and pulled him back to bed, before Hara could resist. He pushed him down so he lay belly up, and lifted up Hara’s shirt.

“May sting un peu.”

“Sting?! AH!” The strange doctor had jammed a 3 inch needle into Hara’s belly button. His device made several whistles and beeps.

“Un peu damage, aber notin’ fatal. Mayb’ un peu ruhe more? Sakred bloo! I forgot ik’s appell. Ik’s name is Morry. Enchanté!”

Without another word (thankfully) the large man quickly pulled out his needle and threw it in the trash. He headed for the door, turned, and flashed another grin.

“Too comin’? Noos has food and drink, and too is affamé, yes? Ik will see too spätter, au revoir!”

“Goodbye?” The man grinned yet again, nodded and left. He didn’t close the door, however, and Hara wondered whether he should follow the doctor, or just stick around.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 05:09:59 pm »
We just got stabbed in the abdomen. Rest.

No use trying to escape from a seemingly high-security area anyway.

Online Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 12:16:51 pm »
"Oh screw it, wait for me" Hara took one more look around the beautiful room, then followed the strange doctor.

"Where are we, anyway?" He asked.

"Too is dan un Astronimus establishment. Mostly R&R ici, aber noos has accomodation pour 1,000 workers and tey's familien. Sadly, Ik's nikt allowed say where noos are." Morry paused, as if considering something. "Sumwher dan northern Oceania." He winked.

They walked past a large window and Hara got a brief view of a half constructed ships hull. It wasn't familiar in any way, and neither was the company Astronimus for that matter.

"Ik vais take you to see Isha, she is un une dan charge of too, bien?" Hara nodded.

They stopped at a massive oak door, which was strangely contrasted against the bare metal walls and fluorescent lights of the hall. Morry leaned forward, and knocked rapidly 3 times. Almost immediately, the door flew open. Inside was a young woman wearing a business suit. She'd clearly been expecting them. She was sitting on an armchair a few feet from the door, a bottle of water in her left hand, a digital clipboard in her right.

"Hara, I presume. Thank you for bringing him Morry, you can go." Morry grinned and nodded, pushing Hara in and closing the door behind him. Hara recongized the voice, she had been the one to wake him.

"Please excuse him, I know he can be, well, pushy." The right corner of her mouth turned up slightly. "I realize you might find him a tad incomprehensible. A lot has changed in the 198 years you've been gone, Hara. Not just borders, philosophies, cultures, even media. Morry is from Mediterranea, a relatively new nation resulting from what you knew as the Southern European Union." She flicked her head towards a map on the wall, the continents were made up by differently coloured, newly unrecognizable shapes. Hara also noticed how the whole map was criss-crossed by silver lines.

"Morry might have mentioned that we can't divulge our location, not just yet. Purely foresight, actually. In case you decide to return to deep freeze, we wouldn't want to set you off with knowledge of one of our secret facilities..."

"You haven't even told me why I'm here yet."

"Oh yes, yes! Very sorry. I mentioned how you were chosen for your knowledge of xenobiology? Yes, well we may have discovered something quite relevant. 3 months ago, one of our ships went missing while in orbit around an uncharted planet. Of course, the owner of said ship went crying to us about faulty navigational equipment. We reimbursed them for their financial losses, of course, but not before sending a probe to attempt to retrieve the ship's black box off the surface of the planet. It was never found, but we did find something else, quite shocking."

She placed her digital clipboard on the coffee table before here, and pressed a button on the side. The room dimmed, and a shocking array of brightly coloured lights flew out of the clipboard screen. The lasers danced incomprehensibly for a moment, before arranging themselves into a clear image, filling the centre of the room.

A bright blue sphere, dotted with lighter blue and green spots. Swirling white feathers obscuring much of the surface. It was a planet, maybe 85% ocean, what few land it had was in the form of archipelagos covered in multicoloured foliage. A smaller red orb came into view by the planet's horizon, and the surface began to light up. A red sun.

"Mr. Hara. We may have discovered the first case of true extraterrestrial life. Our intent should be simple from here. We plan to go there, to claim glory as the first humans to make the connection with a new civilization... or if there isn't one, to claim new land in the name of humanity. It would be foolish to leave without an expert in such a field as yours. Of course, if the newfound place in the history books wouldn't be enough, we'd be prepared to offer a minor cash payoff."

She leaned forward again, shutting off the projection. Hara noticed he'd been staring slackjawed, transfixed by the beauty.

"What'll it be, Mr. Hara?"

Offline Digital Hellhound

• Rigel Rescuer
  • I refuse to be considered a mere nuisance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 12:01:04 pm »
Hey this looks great, you carry on.
I am the very model of a scientist salarian...

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 12:06:52 pm »
Let's go to another planet! Whhheeeee
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 09:05:47 pm »
Onward!

Online Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 02:21:33 pm »
"You can't just... You can't just wake me up from a 200 year nap to ask me to go on some research mission, expecting me to agree after telling me barely anything! Where am I? What's Astronimus? Who's going?"

"Yes, yes, your curiosity is understandable. I'll start with the easy questions first. When you left us 198 years ago, it was the golden age of space exploration. 5 new companies were founded every day, each one loftier than the last, each one promising that their technology would further advance us, help us reach out further, for resources, for knowledge, for adventure! Wishful thinking. Truth is, only the most successful lasted even 50 years. Space isn't just harsh, it's expensive. Terribly expensive.
   Over time, companies went bankrupt or bought each other, or changed their priorities. Astronimus is the result of 7 different companies medling together over the course of 150 years. We're in direct competition with only 2 others now: UNSED and Virgin Space." She grinned. "But they don't know about or little secret."

A memory flashed by.

"Hold on... I payed extra for no contracts. Yeah! I was meant to wake up in a thousand years, almost instantaneously. I had the money to pay for the whole deal, no rentals required. I signed stuff!"

"Ah, yes. Minor problem there. The corporation in charge of your deep freeze went bust about 3 months ago. Something about a scandal, let's just say some poor woman was... repeatedly rented. People were withdrawing their relatives left right and center.  Stock plummeted.

But there was no one for you, Hara. You were one of the 227 souls to remain in cold storage in a privately funded government facility. We had to jump over a lot of hurdles to acquire you, Mr. Hara. Fill a lot of pockets. In fact, for all intents and purposes, we own you."

Hara jumped up.

"You expect me to be fine with this?"

"Of course not, Mr. Hara. Of course not. Fortunately we don't intend to keep you once you've done your duty. Please, relax. You're in good hands."

He sat back down, seething. Isha just kept smiling. For the first time, Hara actually looked at her. She was of asian descent, her dark hair tied back tightly into a bun. She couldn't have been much older than 25, but she clearly knew her way around a business, her office backed her up on that. All oak and steel, you'd swear it was the 2200s. It was fairly underfurnished though, which was weird. Back in Hara's time, clutter had been the style.

"Hara? Head in the clouds?"

He snapped back. Isha was looking expectantly at him.

"Yes, yes... Well, I think I've heard enough for now. I must be dozing off."

"I'll let you go back to your room right after you tell me; Is it a yes? Will you come with us?"

Hara didn't even need to consider. He'd been fooling himself. The answer had always been -

"Yes."

Isha instantly sprang up, extending her head.

"Your current position as our... guest, makes bureaucracy unnecessary. A yes is all we needed."

Hara took her hand.

"It's good to have you Hara, welcome aboard."

* I was really tempted to write "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!" here.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 08:51:13 am »
Uh, I don't think you updated the poll. Awesome update though. Just hoping this planet won't be anything like Pandora D:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 08:57:28 am by Snork »

Online Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 12:20:09 pm »
Yeah, I noticed I didn't update it, but what would there have been to vote on anyway?

17 today, 17 today. His son was 17 today! Did he even know?

Hara was sitting in a sandy courtyard surrounded by high walls. Occasionally a researcher or guard or executive would pass him by, heading to their next destination. They were leaving in 2 days. The crew needed time to prepare the ship and say goodbye to their families; The journey itself would take 2 months, but it would just be a fleeting moment in deep freeze.

The sky was a cloudless blue, the sun beating down on Hara's back. It felt like his bones were only thawing out now, and it felt good.

"Jon?"

He was awake all right. Hooked up to a VR stream. Hara often wondered what Jon was up to in that virtual world he spent so much time in, but he knew it would be unwise to try and find out. His wife Dani peeked around the door, watching as Hara tiptoed his way towards his son.

A hand on Jon's shoulder.

"Son, don't you want to celebrate your birthday with your family?"

After the briefing, Hara had been formally introduced to Morry. He would be the crew's doctor, and when they reached the unnamed planet, he would accompany them. Isha had given Hara an English-Mediterrane reference dictionary. It turned out Isha was a linguist, first in her class. She learned as many languages as her biological brain could hold, then had cerebral implants to learn more. She was currently learning Irish, her 46th. She would be travelling with them too.

Finally there was Ronan, the captain of the ship and expedition. He seemed to take his job incredibly seriously, and they'd only had about 5 minutes to talk, before Ronan had to rush off  to "supervise recalibration of the fusion generators." At least it was good to know there'd be someone who knew how to use a firearm.

"Huh?" He woke as if he'd been sleeping, watery eyes fluttering open. The second he noticed his father standing over him, his expression changed to anger.

"I told you not to wake me up! Don't wake me up!"

"It's just that you've been plugged in all week, and we wondered if you knew it was your birthday!"

The term didn't phase him, as if he didn't recognize it. He just turned, preparing to re-enter the virtual world. Hara jumped forward to stop him from pressing the "on" button again. All Jon saw was his father lunging at him, and responded in turn. He attempted to hit back, but his atrophied muscles only managed a few weak slaps. It was enough to get the message across. Hara just stared at him, his breathing intensifying. Quick as a flash, he grabbed the small machine that connected you to the VR Net, and threw it against the wall.

"I won't let you do this to us anymore! You hear me? No more spending months lying on your back, drooling onto your shirt! Your mother and I bought you that stupid machine to make you happy, and all it did was steal you from us! No more! You're going to celebrate your birthday with us, and you're going to LIKE IT!"

Everyone went quiet. His son's gaze was alternating between him and the broken machine on the floor. His face went red, and a few tears rolled down his cheek. He looked back at his father, and it was the single most dirtiest look one human being had ever given to another. It would be burned into Hara's memory forever. Jon just slowly stood up and backed out the right, not taking his eyes off his father until he reached the door. Once he left the room, Hara could hear his footsteps thumping down the stairs, and then the door slamming.

That was the last time he had seen his oldest son, 199 years ago.

"Hara? Ronan and I are going to lunch and, well, I realized you didn't really get a chance to talk to him before. Would you like to come?" Isha gave her signature grin, helping Hara off the bench he'd been sitting on. "Consider it a business meeting."

Reminder that I'm trying to make every choice have some kind of (probably minor) impact on the way characters treat you, and to a lesser degree, how smoothly the story goes. Every choice, no matter how seemingly minor, will have some effect.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 12:36:18 pm »
Let's explore the ship. We should see how technology has progressed..

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 10:44:16 pm »
Indeed.

Also, that was depressing. :(

Online Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 03:38:31 pm »
No updates today or this weekend, I'll be away. Sorry guys. :)